532 . . . where did that come from?

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by basskadet, Jan 11, 2009.

1. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,071 / 38 / -0
    I know Harry played it at Pompey & got success but I don't really get why he changed the formation from the one that was so good in the second half against Burnley?

It seemed to be working at the start as we flooded the midfield but we got exposed down the flanks (particularly the left as Bale looked lost). I would've preferred to see us switch to a 442 sooner rather than later.

Jamie looked one of our best players once again & I think Harry wanted him more in the middle where he could have a bigger effect on the game and I can definitely see what he was thinking but we just did not look comfortable.

I'm undecided on this one cos I think our attack suffered greatly despite having 2 strikers on the field.
  2. nickGT Well-Known Member

nickGT
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Yeah we did suffer. To be honest though i think we suffered mainly due to wigans physical presence in midfield. I was extremely impressed with some of the determination of there players and hey could teach us alot.
  3. Gareth Well-Known Member

Gareth
    Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Our strikers just got balls hoofed up to them so we can't really blame either Defoe or Pavlyuchenko, but why bring Bent on?! Pavlyuchenko was the one who would have been more likely to score!
  4. Yuran New Member

Yuran
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    This decision is undrestandable, Harry wanted to try Bent with Defor. But why Modric???
  5. nickGT Well-Known Member

nickGT
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    Tbh i think if anyone should have come off it should have been defoe. Pav was seeing the ball alot more then him. Wigan defended well and our strikers had no space to play.
  6. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,071 / 38 / -0
    Pav has hardly played 90 min all season. He suddenly played 3 full games in the last week. I think he was tired. The extra game we played in the week made it tougher for us to maintain a high tempo & physical presence. I don't think we were a pushover tho & I thought some players worked really hard for us, notably Dawson, O'Hara & Didi.

Bale was shocking tho. He's young and things like this will really start to effect him, if they haven't already. He needs time out of the team to get himself back to his best but we just don't have sufficient cover at the mo.

unfortunately, in a 532, you really need your wing-backs to play well. Charlie did good. Nothing came down the right at all. Hopwever, the left was a disaster & with jamie playing further inside, Bale was completely exposed.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  7. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,720 / 33 / -0
    the whole formation was wrong ok it started ok because it was stopping them play but it also stopped us playing i mean zakora outside right come on also it totally neautrized modric who had no room to operate what so ever and unfairily on him it made him look ordinary which we all know he isnt pav and defoe had no chance all they seemed to be doing was chasing lost causes although pav didnt play well lads and im his biggest fan but he shouldnt have taken him off so earily in the second half also im not that happy with his interview after the game saying hes been dealt a bad hand he doesnt say it when were winning so dont use it as an excuse when we lose im very disappointed but this is how its going to be till the end of the season because were right in the s.hit so we better get used to it im afraid
  8. gio 2008 Well-Known Member

gio 2008
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    5-3-2 tried and forgotten

the problem is not how many strikers we are playing its our lack of chances created fulham at home west brom away and now wigan can you remember any gilt edged chances cause i cant
  9. FIGG New Member

FIGG
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    wigan went past bale as is he was not there, and wigan played with passion.
    FIGG,
  10. grunt the postie New Member

grunt the postie
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    bale looked lost at times. when are we gonna win with him in the side?
  11. kevfball63 Banned !

kevfball63
    Ratings:
    +879 / 0 / -0
    It would seem like a mixed bag . Regular players being shuffled into a different formation to outfox a team that are riding high at the moment . It didn't work . If you try something new , everybody has to be on their metal if it goes pooh shaped . We managed to unbalance their rythem but when we going forwards we looked lacking in support , due to the fact that they are playing as a complete unit . When they go forward they all go forward , when they defend they all run back.

" WE DONT " we have a mixed bag of players that think their job is specific , instead of a team effort .
  12. DarlingtonYid New Member

DarlingtonYid
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    weve got a attacking midfielder who carnt play anywhere else except from behind the forwards then we have 3strikers none of them can play up front by themselves which means we must play the diamond which leaves the full backs exposed like today so harry got a really hard job on his hands picking a team that works both home and away
  13. Pitseleh Well-Known Member

Pitseleh
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    thats a good point darlo. looks like hes got a job on his hands pickin a team period.
  14. Hamenaglar New Member

Hamenaglar
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I wonder what was the FA cup match against wigan?

I agree mostly with kevfball in his assesments of the match. The lads aren't operating as a team.
  15. Pitseleh Well-Known Member

Pitseleh
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    by the way, with regard to the title of this thread we played a 4-4-2 today. king was a sitting midfielder. were becoming like the ****in england team, trying to cram on all of our best players, even if it means playing them out of position. id rather see king at LB ffs
  16. Hamenaglar New Member

Hamenaglar
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I actually think King did very well as a holding midfielder, at least in defensive parts, he did lose posession a few times, but IMO he is a beter holding midfielder than Zokora.
  17. Pitseleh Well-Known Member

Pitseleh
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    yea, King is a good holding midfielder, but when we have Zakora in there ASWELL, whats the point, neither him OR Ledley are going to create a single thing going forward, so why have both. what i meant was if u were gonna play him out of position and still play zakora id rather see king at LB isntead of bale and play zakora in his normal position, if not, then not atall.
  18. DanSpurs80 New Member

DanSpurs80
    Ratings:
    +285 / 0 / -0
    I agree, why play King and Zokora in the same position. Would have made more sense to put Modric at the tip of the Diamond with King holding and Huddlestone sitting in the middle of the park pinging passes around and linking up play. We controlled the game well but had absolutely no cutting edge. 2 SHOTS ON TARGET IN 90 MINUTES!!!! Got to be a bit more positive with your attacking options Harry.
  19. Oldskool Yid New Member

Oldskool Yid
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    As I live on the south coast I have seen a lot of Harry as manager of Pompey and Saints. When he joined Spurs I was happy because he is a good manager, yet I did say to people that he does tend to enjoy taking the credit when things go well but looks to pass the buck when things are not going so well. Claiming he won the cup for Pompey, but the players he inherited at Saints were rubbish....
  20. benetty New Member

benetty
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    just stick to the 4 4 2 arry, no need to complicate things and why zokora in the right??
  21. Tom The Yid New Member

Tom The Yid
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    We play 4-4-2 twice and beat wigan and burnley, admit first half against burnley were poor but still won so why change it. I knew as soon as saw team we werent going to win. Its spose to be 3-5-2 with wing backs but it always ends up being 5 in defensive and 3 midlfiders to central and no width. I like Harry alot but cant mess about with formations when were in bottom 3. Stick to 4-4-2 even if have to leave out so big names and win some games so we can get to mid table safety and crack on with next season.
  22. deivid New Member

deivid
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I agree...first half against Burnley there was a problem (the problem for me is explain in English :() ...with Lennon and Bentley of wingers, 2 strikers and Modric...who defends?
    Zokora had a lot of work, then he helped by Jamie (great match) and we played better...

I hope that you understand me :2245:

I not understand why we changed to 532​
  23. Shark New Member

Shark
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    With the formation we played, we need Modric to be on. If he is off (and he was against Wigan), we have literally no creativity. Zokora does not provide it. He gets 10/10 for effort but he makes the wrong decision too often when going forward. His passing is average to poor, his shooting is awful, he's not particuarly skillful and he gets outmuscled too easily. Ironically, he only works as a good DM when playing against the so-called big four.

O'Hara is tenacious, links play well and I love the guy but is not going to create by himself. He is to us what Ji Sung Park is to United. Great engine, does the dirty work brilliantly, links up well but do not rely on him to create.

With Modric off form, this led to the strikers being isolated. Defoe simply wasn't in the game as he thrives on service from the midfield as he plays off the last defender. Pav came looking for the ball but couldn't make it stick as he wasn't getting the service and therefore, didn't have a great game.

When Lennon came on, I thought we might be more dangerous but we still looked toothless because he wasn't getting enough of the ball. We were trying to get Bent and Defoe through the middle and we were getting outmuscled by Cattermole and Palacios. We needed to stretch them and we didn't do it.

It didn't really work. We might as well have played a 3-5-2 if Harry wanted King and Dawson in.

Gomes

King
    Dawson
    Woodgate

Bentley
    Huddlestone
    O'Hara
    Modric
    Lennon

Pav
    Defoe

That way, you would have Bentley's crossing, Lennon's pace to cut inside from the left and Hudd's range of passing should Modric have had an off day which he did.

Do I get the job?