Bale moving to left back?

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by StPaulSpur, Jan 14, 2011.

1. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    I'm still a relative novice when it comes to football strategy, so can someone explain to me why Harry wants to move Bale back to the left back position eventually? He's such a force from the left wing, why pull him back? Will he still be able to get up front for his crosses? I've heard people say we could use him the way Chelsea uses Ashley Cole, but it seems like he has a bigger impact on games at left wing than Cole does for Chelsea at LB. Anyone willing to explain this to me? I'm trying to understand the rationale and am just not seeing it.
  2. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,787 / 6 / -0
    Last time I heard Harry say that was back at the very start of the season, I'm sure 11 goals in all competitions later, even Harry is starting to think he's more suited to attacking.
  3. MonicaHotspur New Member

MonicaHotspur
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I hope he doesn't go back to left back. Think of all the game winning goals and assists he did this season.
  4. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,965 / 13 / -0
    Theres a simple answer to this imo.....If and when Bale does go back to left back in the future it will only be a option. Bale can play both so why not use him there when the time is right.

He's been playing left wing nearly every game so if we were to move him back it would keep other teams guessing and not be so obvious. Playing him from a deeper role would be harder for other teams to mark him as he can make his runs from a deeper position.

And if it doesn't work we can always move him back!!! It keeps teams guessing.... It's all about option's seeing so many teams are starting to double up on him. To allow him to go to left back would be a great option but that doesn't mean he'll stay there.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko Well-Known Member

Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko
    Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Gareth Bale doesnt know how to tackle, Really, he doesnt.

He's like afraid to slide tackle!
  6. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
    the only reason why bale would go to left back would be this formation

--------------------Gomes-----------------------
    ---Kaboul-------Dawson-----Gallas------Bale--
    --------------Huddlestone---Modric------------
    ---Lennon-----------VdV--------------Suarez--
    -------------------Defoe-------------------------

This lineup is like sex.
  7. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    So, basically when we have another option at left mid who is better there than BAE is at left back, Bale would move? Is it possible Townsend could mature into that role, allowing Bale to move back?
  8. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,965 / 13 / -0
    Can you not remember Modric or Niko playing there?

At the back you could have a flat back four including BALE.. Then two holding midfielders with three attacking midfielders and one striker. something like a....

4 2 3 1 formation
  9. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    Well, Modric can play on the wing, but we already struggle in center mid... at least as long as Huddlestone is hurt. Maybe when Hudd is back that could work (esp. if we land Diarra), but I don't see it right now. And if Nico were a better option, wouldn't that already be the lineup, Nico on the left, Bale in at lb?
  10. Roscono3 champions league vip Moderator

Roscono3
    Ratings:
    +5,965 / 13 / -0
    I agree with most of this but its not a better option other wise we would be doing it all the time...Its just an option!!!

Which is great as it keeps other teams guessing....
  11. Eighteen82 New Member

Eighteen82
    Ratings:
    +962 / 0 / -0
    Ignoring his lack of defensive abilities, playing at LB gives him more time on the ball, and he's able to see the more of the space he runs in to. Whoever is playing at LM/LW will be puling the attention of the RM/RW and/or RWB/RB away leaving bags more space for Bale. The problem that also comes with this is it causes our LM/LW to track back more with the space that will be exposed from his runs.

It's not a bad way to play, just currently it's not the best option. With more players we could go for a more all-out attack formation with him at LB/LWB.
  12. Short But Speedy New Member

Short But Speedy
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Also there is the distinct possiblity that harry more of a very distant future. For example when he's around 30 he may not be able to keep running all game like he is now. By then he'll probably be able to tackle and become a very good lb. Many players move into the back line as they age.
  13. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    OK, that makes more sense. I would be curious to see how that works, perhaps something to try in a match with a bottom half side, like Wolves or Wigan? Looking at the upcoming month, it's a tough call b/c we have some tough upcoming fixtures, at Newcastle, at Sunderland, against Bolton, against Arsenal.... On the one hand, we need a strong side for those fixtures. But on the other, we could run Bale into the ground if we play him in each of those plus the Champions League matches w/ Milan. What do you think?
  14. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,785 / 21 / -0
    good point it seems he gets majority of the attention now
  15. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It would be madness to reconvert Gareth Bale to a left back!

In an incredibly short space of time he has gone from being a decent young full back with some potential to a world class wide left midfielder!

His goal scoring record alone should be enough to prevent anyone putting him into the back four - where the pace & power of his runs are unlikely to result in goals on a regular basis!
  16. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    I'll add onto what [MENTION=1380]Eighteen82[/MENTION] has said......having Bale make his runs from a deeper position on the pitch will be extremely difficult for RB/RW to deal with not only does the RB have to mark our LW but then the RW on the opposing team has to track Bale's run too. Which over the period of 90 mins is extremely difficult to do, it could work in the future for sure but right now he is just too lethal on the wing. However, if you're going to have 2 attacking players going up and down your wing then the CBs and the DM have to notice this in order to slide across and cover the hole that Bale has left.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  17. derventa New Member

derventa
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    very nice post by spursman, bale as a left back would be something like cole for chelsea or srna for shaktar, both are world class wing backs, and it is bale's future position (just like corluka is going to be a cb in the future)

but as spursman pointed out, for it to work u need to have good players in DM CB and LW positon, all aware of bales runs and all working together and complementing each other
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mattspurz New Member

mattspurz
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Thats gorgeous,
  19. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    I cant see Suarez playing as a wide man and being effective, he'll only play that well in a 4 3 3 out on the left side but further up the pitch.....regardless of where Bale would be playing he's better suited playing up front on his own or playing with a target man in a 4 4 2.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  20. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,376 / 38 / -1
    I think you meant BACK to left back.

He is a LB by definition apparently.
  21. Farfalla New Member

Farfalla
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bale can play at any position on left wing. With his speed, he can attack from deep and cross ball accurately
  22. corroded Well-Known Member

corroded
    Ratings:
    +595 / 0 / -0
    I'm amazed that people think that Bale being left back would mean he wouldn't get forward.

He's like a sprinting machine, he'd still be whipping in crosses, and having Bale at full speed before he's even got the ball from a run, almost unmarked could be absolutely devastating. He's got options everywhere, and lets face it... we play suicide football at the moment. It's only a matter of time before we start playing Strikers in Central Defence.
  23. Justice New Member

Justice
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Bale can't defend.

End of.
  24. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +782 / 3 / -0
    i think he lacked in confidence when he first came to us, he now has tons of confidence, you could probably stick him in goal and he'll do a good job!
  25. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 5 / -0
    Why fix what isn't broken? Just get some cover for BAE and let Niko, or eventually Pienaar it seems, get a crack on the wing when Bale needs a rest. My only worry with Bale at this point is playing him too much but it seems like he has an insane motor in him.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. LSB1982 New Member

LSB1982
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    HE may have had much more joy coming from left back on Sunday. He can run from deeper, build up some speed and really go at players. He played there for a fair bit last season, and was still a threat. I think he can play both positions, but his defending isn't great. I honestly think you could play him centre forward and he would do well.

BAE hasn't had much rest, i can see some games with Pienear playing left mid (but quite narrow) with Bale bombing on the outside, could be frightening