Bale up front

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by boo, Apr 22, 2011.

1. boo Staff Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +5,947 / 15 / -0
    gomes

corluka - gallas - dawson - ekotto

lennon - van der vaart - sandro - huddlestone - modric

bale

worth trying do you think?
    boo,
  2. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    We had a discussion about this a few months ago. I would rather give him a run of games on the Right Wing before we try him up front. Play him like Bayern plays Robben. He would score more goals there IMO.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  3. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    no thank you.
  4. Jammy_Jae New Member

Jammy_Jae
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    no, he's definitely a wing player.
  5. mattspurz New Member

mattspurz
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    ahh yes ive always wanted to see how well bale and lennon would do with inverted wingers. IMO lennon is already better left wing than he is right! He has that extra yard of space all the time to get a shot off, rather than having that extra space to deliver a cross. Bale would do just as good IMO. But would harry ever try it?
  6. alex3 Banned !

alex3
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    bale up front no way
    people are still saying that he will end up being a LB never mind up front
  7. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    Remember he did it in the Wolves match when Bale came on. He looked real threatening there and was going for goal, should have scored.
  8. alex3 Banned !

alex3
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    i think lennon is better on the left so if bale wants to play there and becomes like robben and learns how to play on the right we will be even better from the wings
  9. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    Honestly look how offensive minded he is at the moment, he is basically playing a forward position already. But he does better with space where he can get those big legs racing, and for this the wing is the place to start. There are a lot of forwards that play from the wing, Bale is more likely to take up this role than he is to be put up top as a loan striker in a 4-5-1.
  10. perstrame Well-Known Member

perstrame
    Ratings:
    +567 / 0 / -0
    If I heard correctly, then the commentator, when we played Arsenal, said something about Bale wanting to play behind the striker.

Your thoughts on that?
  11. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Exactly......he could play higher up in a 4 3 3 (which I dont think we'll play any time soon). But thats the key to his game, pace. If he's up front on his own you take away a huge part of his game. He is a weapon down the wings and needs to stay there for the rest of his career (or play as a wing back).
  12. mattyvw Well-Known Member

mattyvw
    Ratings:
    +535 / 1 / -0
    in 3 up front but playing with your back to goal is a completely different game to running from deep.
  13. JJohns Active Member

JJohns
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I would rather have him deployed on the wing, where we can use his pace to stretch the game and add a little width. Since he's marked by two to three people now, drawing a few people out to to the wings could open up the middle/other wing. I don't think he would be utilized the best as a striker up front alone or behind the striker (behind the striker is where VdV shines more).

I would not mind seeing him as an inverted winger in a 4-3-3, though, as has been suggested. He has been cutting inside more, so seeing him improve to that part of his game more would be nice.
  14. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he performed better than our strikers up top. However, I think he is at his best on the wing where he has room to run into. Things are much more congested up the middle and he wouldn't be able to utilize his speed as much.
  15. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    He has said recently that he fancies himself behind the striker.
  16. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    Step away from the glue ;)
  17. Iconic Drei I am the Drei of all the Icons

Iconic Drei
    Ratings:
    +1,638 / 0 / -0
    Him just playing off the Striker is perhaps more realistic then playing up front as an out and out front man.. I still think he is most dangerous on the left though..
  18. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    For him to be fully effective we need to play 352 or 532 and use him as a wing back.
  19. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    would rather just leave him as he is, because he links up well with our midfield from a wide area. As opposed to coming deep every time to link up, it can work but he's valuable out wide playing as a traditional winger.
  20. jerseyyid New Member

jerseyyid
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    we need him on the wing using his pace to get round defenders and putting balls in the box or even goals like the milan hatrick, really dont think upfront would be the use for him
  21. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes I 've seen that interview and thought it was very interesting.

On the wing he is involved for limited periods - if he was brought in to the centre (either midfield or as our central striker) he would be involved in the game, i.e. on the ball, for a much greater time.

I'd compare a move like that for Bale to that of Messi being moved from being a right winger to a central striker by Barcelona...... from being the best player in the world Messi has now gone off the scale as he is now involved in everything!

I think GB has that capability too - rather than just see players push him wide and hammer him in non-dangerous wide positions (a la Phil Neville) as now seems to be happening every game.

Worth a try?
  22. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Dont agree with that, while he may not get the ball on a regular basis due to where he is playing we're creative enough in the midfield to get him the ball plenty of times for him to be effective. It's down to him to change his game up a bit so that RBs dont just mark him out of the game, he sorts that part of his game out and this thought of him playing up front or anywhere else goes out the window.

If he was to be up front in a central role there would be plenty of times where he'd be in a position where he's man marked by a big CB making it difficult for him to receive balls and find space. This is why he can be effective playing on the wings in a 1 v 1 situation and since he has great pace he'll be more effective there.
  23. JJohns Active Member

JJohns
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    My question is how do we deal with Bale being marked by two to three people now. He's been marked out of the game quite a few times it seems like lately, and we haven't done much to combat that.
  24. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Well, we need to take advantage of teams who double him up and find our open man in the attacking third of the pitch (if there is one, by that I mean if the RB & RW are doubling him up then I would suggest BAE needs to make some over lapping runs to get one of those players off Bale or if the CM/RB are doubling him we need to find Modric/Hudd more often when he has the ball.)

I think he needs to switch his game up at times. Instead of trying to beat his man with sheer pace, he needs to sometimes cut inside with the ball (he did this a few times against WBA) and look to beat his man this way or find our strikers to play the ball to. Harry could also switch him over to the right if he notices he's being doubled up on for him to take advantage of him cutting in on his stronger foot and possibly playing Kaboul at RB to over lap on the times Bale cuts in. The easiest way to get rid of a man who is pressing you all game to me is to be constantly moving off the ball and mixing up the runs you make in order to get the ball. Then once you've got it make sure you're being positive with it in terms of what you do with it in the end.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    I think the LB is the key. If the opposition RB and RM are doubling up on Bale and our LB makes an overlapping run beyond him then that gives the LB loads of space to move into or he pulls a man away and leaves Bale with only one to take on. BAE never seems to overlap really, I think he prefers to play and cross from deep. A player like Coentrao (not saying we will or even should buy him, just an example) would blister past Bale and the opposition would find that doubling up on Bale caused them a lot of trouble. Whilst this leaves the LB position exposed defensively we can use Bale's LB experience there. If our LB goes beyond him, Bale drops back a little to cover him and the two switch for a little while until the LB gets back. If Walker comes back and plays any games at LB next season (which he can) I think you'll see him take advantage of this more than BAE.

The alternative is something that you see Modric try and do sometimes which is for the leftmost of the central mids to move into the space beyond Bale and take advantage of it. I don't think this is as effective.
  26. locrugger New Member

locrugger
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    by playing bale upfront you take away the one thing that makes him different from anyone else....his electrifying pace and crossing ability. he's definitely a wing player.
  27. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    As [MENTION=7178]JJohns[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5155]spursman18[/MENTION] mentioned if Bale is taken out of the game it is usually because he is double or triple marked, this excessive defensive attention does one of two things, it either completely takes the other teams right wing out of the game, or it opens up a lot of space in the middle of the park ( remember often it is the defensive mid coming over and doubling on Bale with the FB, not the wing). It depends which player is giving help, if it is the opposition wing, BAE will have space to get involved, if it is the opposition D Mid, then VDV, PAV or Crouch will have extra space to get involved. Also by them having to play Bale so wide, it gives our CMs a lot of space in the middle. So Bale being taken out of the game is not always such a bad thing.

Sorry if this belabors my point, but my friend coached a high school team in the states and I remember they had this phenomenal striker, lead the state in goals and pretty much beat teams by himself. Well the next year teams triple marked him and he only scored about 6 goals the whole season. But his partner up front (who was decent but not great) ended up leading the state in goals. At the end of the year all of the coaches vote on player of the year and selected the boy, even though he only had 6 goals. All of the coaches said, yeah he didn't do much, but we had to play 8 vs 10 against them, which was as great of a disadvantage as when he was banging in goals for fun.

As long as Bale keeps defenders guessing and continues to drag center defensive mids out of position, I don't really mind if he doesn't score amazing san siro goals.

Lastly, BAE has lately been having a very high success rate hitting crouch, Lennon, and our RB with long switches of the field, he is greatly able to do that because the attention teams give to Bale leaves extra space on the right side of the pitch. Almost always when he hits someone with one of these balls we get the ball in deep and threaten from the right side of the field.

A lot going on thanks to Bale, even when he is silent.
    • Like Like x 1