Bentley loan to the MLS?

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by BlueCrew LA, Jan 16, 2012.

1. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    I'm a bit late on this but I had a full day of things I couldn't get to my MLS news stories. Rumors have suggested a possible loan move for Bentley to the MLS. Under normal circumstances I'd dismiss the story but then I got to thinking. He's injured and will be needing game time to get back fitness, so if a loan lasted from the beginning of the MLS season (March) until preseason in England, we'd be in a better position to sell him. If he came back to the club it's highly unlikely he'd see the field with us pushing for Europe, so we'd be stuck paying his salary and no recent video for clubs to make a decision on whether to make a move.

So I like the idea, maybe we'll see more players in the shop window from England make summer loan moves to the MLS.

David Bentley is looking for a summer move to America to get his career back on track - Exclusive - Football Hotline - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

It should be said though this isn't the best source.
  2. gazza Well-Known Member

gazza
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 3 / -0
    i just cannot wait until we can begin making the motor vehicle metaphors. honestly tho i did not think he was rubbish, i am not sure why he descended into such mediocrity. he was even an england player
    • Like Like x 1
  3. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +3,802 / 59 / -0
    I feel a bit sorry for him. I know he's a nob but he has a lot of talent. He doesn't deserve to be wasting away with us.
  4. aztattooedsean New Member

aztattooedsean
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    That would be interesting to see players being loaned to the MLS for a few months in situations similar to this.
  5. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    He has "issues" with a gambling addiction .
  6. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    I know he'll probably want to go to LA or New York. I'd take him at the Galaxy but we're maxed out on DP's, so unless Spurs are paying his most of his wages (which is unlikely), that ain't happening. I think a club like Seattle or Portland he'd be a big hit.

The Red Bulls have 3 DP's as well but one of those is Frank Rost, the Goalkeeper. I don't like when clubs us DP slots for goalkeepers or defenders (unless in special cases like Marquez). In a developing league those spots should be used for creative players or strikers. So I think if they could get Bentley they'd try to renegotiate with Rost or trade him. I think whatever club signs him would be looking for a 6 moth loan until August, considering his ridiculous wages that's around £1.2m-£1.4m ($1.8m-$2.1m). That's a bit but doable for MLS clubs who will be looking to sign a player to get them into the playoffs.

I think it can work.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +785 / 3 / -0
    What are the rules of the MLS with regards to players for clubs? i tried to play it on football manager but didn't understand the player registration thing.
  8. Musashi Well-Known Member

Musashi
    Ratings:
    +997 / 0 / -0
    He really wants to be the next Beckham doesn't he?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. falstaff Well-Known Member

falstaff
    Ratings:
    +396 / 3 / -0
    I don't know all the specifics, but it's a pretty strict salary cap for the club. There are Designated Players, that don't count against your salary cap. Each club is allowed three (i think it's three, it started as just one) designated players that can be paid higher salaries. It was created to bring Beckham in, but has since been the tool that they use to bring in the big money players from around the world. The league has historically lost boatloads of money, and was just starting to turn a profit prior to the recession. I don't know what the current financials are like for the MLS, so I can't really comment on whether the DPs other than Beckham have really helped the league.

It's caused a problem, in my opinion at least, in that it doesn't really do much to keep the best American players in America. That's an entirely different debate that really comes down to the overall quality of the league. Of course our best players are going to want to leave if clubs in better leagues want them. That and the wages simply cannot be competetive. Unless you're donovan and you enjoy the easy route :p
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,452 / 36 / -0
    Seems like a smart move to me. Bentley has to do something to revive his career. I'm not so sure playing for clubs like Brum and West Ham will help do that. A complete change in environment may be much more helpful in that regard.
  11. BrumSpur Well-Known Member

BrumSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,742 / 3 / -0
    How sad is this? I had actually forgotten that Bentley is still our player! :y4:
  12. falstaff Well-Known Member

falstaff
    Ratings:
    +396 / 3 / -0
    pretty much. how much time do we have left on that shit contract?
  13. 1van Banned !

1van
    Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    Earned his paycheck all day every day, unlike modric that no good croat..
    1van,
  14. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Would be good for him IMO the MLS might get him running again.
    Javi,
  15. Gashead_Yiddo Well-Known Member

Gashead_Yiddo
    Ratings:
    +429 / 6 / -0
    What the hell happened to him? You have to fall off hard to go from having that much potential and looking like you are living up to it, straight down to Championship and MLS. It's like he completely missed his prime and aged 8 years over the course of 6 months or something.

I don't think he suited our style of play when we converted to pacey wing mode, but I thought he'd go straight to Villa or another one of the top 10 clubs in the league fairly easily. You'd think he could do a job for Villa or even Newcastle. I haven't seen him play since about 2 seasons ago , though.
  16. jamiendg Well-Known Member

jamiendg
    Ratings:
    +428 / 6 / -0
    bently should overcome his injury, get fit, take a salary cut, go to a mid table PL team and play really well.
    Hes got loads of potential, great dribbler, quik feet and amazing free kicks.
    Once he starts pumping in his perfect crosses his career will be back fully on track.
    Dont come to the MLS yet wait till your 33.
  17. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,803 / 21 / -0
    i take him in san jose!!:y2: whip some balls in to wondo and lenhart
  18. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Poor decision if he makes it. He's still a decent player for a mid table PL team.
  19. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    Why would a MLS club want him at 33? I can't see him earning DP money from a MLS club at 33. He's not Beckham, even though he's always thought he is and it's not like he's going to Siberia. I can think of a few wingers in the MLS that have as much potential as DB7 at his height but half the hype. Personally I don't think he has much to "get back on track". He's not a Top 6 PL player in my opinion, he looked average at Birmingham last season.
  20. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  21. AJ101 New Member

AJ101
    Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    We could but only with free agents.....U-21's aren't officially part of the PL squad anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. aztattooedsean New Member

aztattooedsean
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Don't we have some sort of good friendship with San Jose?
  23. tomo91 New Member

tomo91
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I think in bentley we will make one of the biggest losses on a player, then w ehave in a long time.
    can see him going on loan a couple of times and eventually been sold to newcastle or someone for about 6mil
  24. Mattads1882 Donator

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +689 / 7 / -0
    Bite someone's hand off for 6 million.
  25. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,803 / 21 / -0
  26. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    We have a partnership with them to loan players from club to club

He definitely wants to play and he has stated that he'd like to move over to the states after his career is over. This might give him a head start
  27. Liam10 New Member

Liam10
    Ratings:
    +1,398 / 0 / -0
    He'll shine in a league like the MLS. Think Bentley was unlucky with us, clearly couldn't adapt to our formation, even with his impressive crossing and Crouch as the target. He's the type of player who shone in a team like Blackburn, but couldn't step up any further. Would still do a solid job for a team from 10th and below. Surprised a relegation battler didn't come in for him (although I think he was injured) as his delivery is a class above anything most of those teams have.
  28. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    Spurs record signing wernt he...???

Lmfao [MENTION=1968]Damien[/MENTION]Camoli...... The cock.
  29. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,803 / 21 / -0
    id take him in SJ. he'd like it in California :001_302:
  30. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    I'm hearing Vancouver, Chicago, Portland and Seattle are possible.

San Jose is always an option because of our partnership but I'm not sure they have the ability and available roster spots to do it.