British Football Team for Olympics?

Discussion in 'International' started by DorsetSpursFan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,291 / 107 / -3
    Talking about the England v Wales game reminded me that I am confused about the British Olympic Football Team.

Can I be English and British and a Citizen of the British Isles and European? Yes of course:.
    • As an Englishman I cheered when England beat Bulgaria last week.
    • As A Briton I cheered when Mo won his gold yesterday.
    • As a European I cheered when the European Ryder cup team demolished the USA last year.
    • As A British Islander (it's s Geographic term - not political) I cheered just now when Ireland held Russia to a draw.
    Welsh teams want to play in the English Premiership and this year Swansea have earned a place in the EPL – and I'm sort of OK with that - I think.

Now I may be wrong but I thought that the Welsh FA (and the Scottish and Northern Ireland FA as well I think) want nothing to do with a British Olympic football team? Why? I think it's a bit sad.

Maybe they've changed their mind. Maybe I've misunderstood. Is it sorted now? Maybe someone can explain?
  2. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 33 / -0
    ireland isnt part of the british isles since 1974
  3. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,661 / 12 / -1
    I assume he means Northern Ireland. But I believe the official term is Great Britian & Northern Ireland. To the OP the Scottish & welsh FA are a bit mardy because they believe FIFA will go back on a promise regarding a single team. It's all about FIFA voting and delegate points.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 33 / -0
    i thought that as well mate,till he mentioned our game against russia today lol
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    none of our players would be good enough to get in the fooking team anyway ffs!
  6. willk9 New Member

willk9
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    I thought a similar thing about the national anthems. England have there's and wales had theirs, but if it was a gb team they would all sind the english national anthem. Wales scotland and northen island are all governed by westminster and they all follow the same monarch yet thay have different anthems??? It just doesn't make sense!
  7. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,661 / 12 / -1
    The reason is because there are Scottish ministers within a scotish parliament, then a welsh assembly and an northern Ireland assembly. They then petitioned the queen / parliament for permission to sing another anthem on the agreement that if a member of the royal family was invited they would have to sing god save the queen.
  8. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,291 / 107 / -3
    What did they move it? Where is Ireland now? In the fcuking Caribbean? If you could be bothered to read my post I said fcuking 'Geographic Term' diddle I??? Here's what wikipedia says (so it must be true):

The British Isles are a group of islands off the northwest coast of continental Europe that include the islands of Great Britain and Ireland and over six thousand smaller isles.

OK, so in future I will not say that Ireland is in the British Isles (even though it fukcing is) I wlll cheer on Ireland as a neighbour - OK?

Edit: OK I'm a twat and it DID seem that I was suggesting that Ireland be part of a British team - Not what I meant at all! I meant that the British countries (not Ireland,OK?) could work together.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,291 / 107 / -3
    Now, Mrs Dorset and myself always respect the anthems of other countries and stand for them in respectful silence with our traditional glass of sherry when we watch international soccer on the televison set.

However imagine Mrs Dorset's surprise yesterday when she raised her glass to what she thought would a rousing rendition of 'God Save The Queen' last night-

'Oh I say Mr Dorset' she spluttered - 'Is Wales no longer part of Britain?' - bless her she is of the female persuasion so does not have a good grasp of politics.

'Now, Now, Mrs Dorset' I said trying to calm her down. I would have suggested that she take one of her pills but we can no longer afford to pay for prescription medicines.

I suggested that she telephoned our son who might have been a doctor if we could have afforded to pay his university fees or our other son whose lifelong dream of working for the DVLA had been cruelly wrenched away when they moved to Swansea to provide jobs in Wales.

'Remember when our two lads were teenagers Mrs D? It's just like that. They still want our money to pay for their education and health and for us to provide them with government jobs - but they don't want anything to do with us or our stodgy old National Anthem'

So we both remained standing after the anthems and sang 'Land Of Hope And Glory' - that showed them!
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 33 / -0
    if you had bothered your bollox to read the rest of your wiki link the fooking answer i gave you was in it you plum so lose the attitude and fooking read what you write before posting,or you just might end up looking like a tit like in this case
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,291 / 107 / -3
    I say Mr thfcire, that is below the belt! Just because I have lost all the beautiful hair I had when I was a young man and have a huge boil on my head there is no need to remind that I look like a mammary gland! By the way If YOU had bothered.............. nah , it's getting boring now.
  12. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    I don't really care to be honest...

There'd only be one Scottish player in the team anyway (Charlie Adam/Darren Fletcher) and I wouldn't really support the team because.....it's the Olympics.

And [MENTION=5100]willk9[/MENTION], if it was the Olympics they wouldn't sing the "English" national anthem, they'd sing the BRITISH one!
  13. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    Don't mean to continue the argument but i thought 'Ireland' was not part of the UK but IS part of the British Isles. (I dont trust wiki)

Anyway as for the british team it wouldn't include ireland (ROI) but would Northern Ireland.

Am i right in saying that the team will be mostly consisted of U23's? thought i read that somewhere on BBC.

Bale, Ramsey, Adam, Fletcher, McGregor, would likely be a part of it from the countries outside England. As for my wee country Davis and Lafferty? :001_302:
  14. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,291 / 107 / -3
    I'm not saying nuffink more about Geography - I'm obviously a stupid cnut! I do think it would good for Bale (fcuk Ramsey) and the others to play in a big tournament like this. Maybe Speedo will bring his good young team on and they will qualify for a World Cup or the Euros?
  15. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 33 / -0
    no one in the rep of ireland call it the british isles,and havnt as long as im alive as its liable to get you a dig in the mouth,you will never hear a goverment member or anyone really ever using it
  16. TehLondoner New Member

TehLondoner
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Bale, Ramsey, Wilshere, Walker, Harry Kane, (I know Beckham wants to do it and would be eligible), who else?
  17. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    im irish wen im amongst my catholic mates and british wen amongst my prod ones......keeps everyone happy!

my passport says im british but thats cause i wrote 'british' on the bit of the form that asks for my nationality.

i may get an irish passpor this time tho as its cheaper and if im ever in a kidnap situation on holiday they will always take the british and leave us nice irish folks he fook alone! :001_005:
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,661 / 12 / -1
    I always carry a "clean" passport and a "dirty" passport. The clean is for Spain and the like and the dirty is for Africa and the middle east countries that the USA would flag up.
  19. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +781 / 3 / -0
  20. NI Yiddo New Member

NI Yiddo
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    To clear up the British Isles talk, the geographical term is still only accepted by the British or those that have learnt geography from British sources. I still use the term but I appreciate it is kind of like only Argentina claiming the Falklands as Argentine islands on maps or North Korea recognising different geographical boundaries to the South. I think some people would be surprised at how many names of places are still technically disputed nowadays and have never been agreed upon by both parties.

---------

Regarding Team GB, nothing is official, Pearce is favourite for the manager and I don't understand the paranoia of the Irish, Welsh and Scottish FA. By handing the English FA the job of representing the BOA they are doing more damage to themselves in not participating and not helping them pick out further potential. To be blatantly honest I think the team will consist of an English under-23 team and the only exceptions will be the likes of Bale and Ramsey on the bench, and possibly Rooney/Gerrard/Terry as the 3 senior players.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  21. AJ101 New Member

AJ101
    Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Why would they go to the trouble of getting Bale in the squad and then not start him, that would be crazy!

I can see Hart being one of 3 as well considering our young keepers aren't exactly world beaters and there not being much of an argument about a GK being burnt out at the end of the season.