Cardiff 06 Oct 15:00

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by Oli Dos Yiddos, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Yeah I can agree with that assessment. It seems we have lost that confidence and concentration that comes from being in a serious title challenge where every game seems to matter more because at the end of the season it might cost you. I am not miffed about our transfer situation, but I do find it merit in the argument that a few transfers in will always put everyone on their toes (except for Eriksen, Kane, Lloris who I do think they genuinely believe are always going to be in the team, no matter how humble they may be).

In addition I would like to say I see that Arsenal are now ahead of us on GD, that truly feels awkward no matter how early into the season we are in haha.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. lillywhite Active Member

lillywhite
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -0
    What a boring display. This was Cardiff ffs. Our finishing is just very very poor, thank goodness theirs was worse. Weak at the back, they could and should have got it back. Just seen the scum batter Fulham with 5 superb goals that puts them above us and deservedly so. We can't go on playing like this or we'll plummet down the league. I also believe our side reached its peak and some players are now on the downward slope, some were never good enough anyway. We desperately needed fresh blood but stuck with what we have (backfiring now) disappointed, not a lot more to say.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    I'm not sure playing Son and Moura together works. They are both best at trying to get in behind. I think neither is crafty enough or a good enough passer, for them to both play as we lack creativity and we should only have one of them in the team. I don't think Son is tired, I think his game is effected by Moura.
  4. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Arsenal (who have won the last 9 in all comps) being above us on GD isn’t a bad thing, it just shows how tight the top 5 are at the moment, a City & L’pool draw later on and that top 5 is separated by just 2 points, amazing how we won and still drop a league position:eek:
    But looking at the top 5, we are without doubt playing the worst football of any, suffered the worst injuries to date, but yet here we still are....

Do I think not signing anyone in the summer was a mistake? 100%, like you touched on, some players we have were punching above their weight for a while, some have got complacent, and some are just not good enough. If we can rediscover our previous form and reach the levels we know we are capable of, well we know this team can match anyone...

But sadly without the new blood shaking up the squad I don’t think we can reach that level this season:( I hope I’m wrong!!...The dead weight needed to be moved on and fresh blood/ideas introduced to keep improving, we have screwed up “again” I mean if we are doing what we are doing now, playing absolutely crap, just imagine having that little extra quality in there...we keep missing the wood because of all the trees....

Levy needs to finish this stadium and then leave. Hell, I’d even name a stand after him if that’s what it took, he probably deserves that to be honest....But I can assure you that under Levy we will never be a successful team who win thropies, the man just doesn’t know how to take a gamble when he’s holding the best hand!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Levy leaving would be the kiss of death. He's made us a top side on half the revenue. Spurs would be a mid table team without him. But that said the new stadium has been, let's just say, a miscalculation. Without that we'd be where Liverpool are now. I don't think that the new stadium will ever generate the revenue it cost. Hopefully it will break even. But the danger is that with the years of no spending money that will result Spurs will go down hill and then no one will show up to the new huge and pricey stadium. We'll see. I think we can weather this year. But if we are not able to match the spending of the other top teams next year then it will be big trouble.

I am beginning to think that, if we can't afford a good supporting cast for our starting players, then the best strategy might be to sell off our top players now that they are peaking and invest in and bunch of top quality young talent. Go back to being the youngest team in the league.
  6. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Hope Levy doesn’t see this forum or he might just take on your idea of selling top players now in there prime/peak value lol....
    As for Levy turning us into a top side I just don’t get, or probably ever will get that argument, there are just no facts to back that up, or suggest a different chairman would have done better or worse, keep in mind the chairman is just a job, Joe Lewis can replace Levy, or any chairman in a heartbeat, without having to sell the club....I would let Levy finish the stadium, have him step down and just be a shareholder, replacing him with a chairman with new fresh ideas....
  7. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    Trouble is Levy would leave the club with an insurmountable debt and a white elephant of a stadium. whilst bagging a massive pay off deal.
  8. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Levy would still have his shares in the club, 30 something percent? So technically the debt is his, well 30% anyway, so I don’t think he would stick the arm in for a massive severance payoff....he needs to step away after the stadium is completed, the board and himself appoint a new chairman to run the club on a day to day basis, set a budget and let the new guy get to work, backing his manager would be a good as place to start as any!!...
  9. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I don't think it is matter of Levy not backing the manager. It's that the budget for new players was essentially zero, because there was no money left after stadium bills. Or at least so low that Pochettino said, "don't bother". The problem would be the same for any chairman.
  10. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Very true, the money aside I think Levy has also gotten to distracted by the stadium project, and more worrying there is still 2/3 years work still to do on the phase 3 of the project....its litterly a disaster at the minute....still, I would step Levy away from the chairman role and bring in someone like Henrichs from Ajax
  11. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / 33 / -0
    Most flattering 5-1 I've ever seen. Not sure they even created 5 good chances their finishing was just clinical on the day and Fulham can't defend simple chances. Arsenal are playing as well as they can it seems and still look pretty bad. We are way way off playing our best and will improve.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. MichiganStateSpur18 Active Member

MichiganStateSpur18
    Ratings:
    +179 / 4 / -0
    You say this but...Son took on his man in the box, beat him clean, got to the end line and pulled a perfect pass to Moura who was 6 yards out and missed a sitter. So maybe they don't have the passing range of Eriksen but the combination was in place to perform Saturday. Moura just didn't bring his shooting boots.
  13. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +372 / 8 / -0
  14. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0
    To be fair, that was all Son. Lucas was just standing there in the box with his hand in the air saying "I'm open!" Son did 99% of the work to get the ball to him. Unfortunately, as you said, Lucas shanked. He decided to cross his legs and shoot with his right foot rather than use his obvious left. It could have been anyone in the box. Lucas just got there first and waited for the ball to come to him.

Perhaps it was being able to watch the game on the big screen instead of my phone so I could see the detail. Perhaps it was because we were playing Cardiff, but that was some of the best I've seen Winks play. Even Sissoko wasn't that bad, provided he's never allowed to shoot.
  15. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,611 / 43 / -0
    Lucas for all his creativity seems to choke when he has the opportunity to score. He’s gotta improve that like he was doing during the first couple of matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    Yes they did create that chance together, but overall I'm not convinced by the tactic of playing 2 fast attackers who like to get in behind, as opposed to one and a creative player (or 2 is we play 3 behind the striker). I just don't think it works well, with a striker like Kane. Liverpool do it, but use Firmino instead of a traditional striker. I just think we lack creativity when we play those two together.
  17. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Lucas will start scoring. He’s going in my FF team.

Mike
  18. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    I feel Kane is the problem. Well, where he's being asked to play. If hes going to continue to play deep, then play Llorente or sign somebody to play up front. We have loads of players that can play in the three behind Kane, so im not sure adding Kane to that equation is helping us.

Playing against thugs doesnt help either.
    Dave,
  19. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +432 / 17 / -0
    Agreed...He will score..I just took him out my team!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    I think the reason we do not play Llorente anymore (other than the fact we have better players) is because we never seem to try and go route one with the ball. Especially our goalies never seem interested in a punt upfield.
  21. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Poor old Llorente is just gonna fade away into retirement....why not go 442 against the lesser teams, we should be good enough with one DM holding along with the Moose or Winks, Sissoko, Lamela, Lucas, Son or even Tripp’s or Rose hugging the wings, with the two men up top....this formation serves two purposes, it can rest key players and also give us the experience to go 442 when required, which I think should always be a string to the bow...
  22. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    Name names then. Who was never good enough?