Champions League/Domestic league question

Discussion in 'Europa League Discussions' started by StPaulSpur, Mar 12, 2011.

1. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    So as I've said before, I'm still a relative newbie to European football. This is my 2nd year of following it and I've picked up a lot but there's still a lot for me to learn. One thing that has caught my eye this year is that Schalke - now a final 8 in the CL - is also in a relegation battle in the Bundesliga (now they look like they'll be safe but for awhile it was sketchy). Meanwhile, also in the Bundesliga, Werder is out of the CL and also in serious danger of relegation.

This made me wonder: Has a team ever competed in the CL (or European Cup) in the same year that they were relegated in their domestic league. If so, what's the furthest a team has advanced in Europe during a season that ended with domestic relegation? I know Pompey managed the FA Cup final last year when relegated, but has anyone managed the continental equivalent? (Perhaps we just need to send Avram Grant to an overachieving German, Spanish, or Italian club that qualifies for the CL and make it happen... ;) )
  2. XRated Well-Known Member

XRated
    Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    In 2002/03 Celta Vigo finished 4th in Spain and qualified for the Champions League, in 2003/04 Celta Vigo made it to the last 16 of the Champions League but finished 19th in Spain and were relegated.
  3. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    FC Porto were not exactly the favourites to win when Mourinho was there, but he did it.
  4. perstrame Well-Known Member

perstrame
    Ratings:
    +567 / 0 / -0
    My dad was telling me about Ipswich getting relegated but winning the FA Cup. The next season they played in the, now known as, Europa League. Don't know how well they did though.
  5. Tottenham94 New Member

Tottenham94
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Didnt Millwall play in the Uefa Cup after losing the FA Cup Final to Man Utd ?
  6. Modric level 25 magician Well-Known Member

Modric level 25 magician
    Ratings:
    +421 / 1 / -0
    would it be possible to win the CL, get relegated, and then compete in the CL from the championship the next season?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  7. dkmHotspur Active Member

dkmHotspur
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    yeah, champions have to defend their title.
  8. seanydee New Member

seanydee
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    They would and the lowest ranked team, to have a champions league qualification spot, in the domestic league of the champions would be relegated to the Europa League. So if we win the CL and don't finish in the top 4 we still qualify for next years tournament. To bites at the cherry, got to love that!
  9. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,654 / 13 / -0
    In 1980/81 season Ipswich Town WON the European Cup Winner's Cup managed by the late great Sir Bobby Robson