CM Solutions

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by BrakeYawSelf, Jun 11, 2018.

1. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Thought this was a pretty good article that basically goes over our plausible options at CM going in to the season.

£90m-rated England man is the perfect replacement for Mousa Dembele - agreed? | FootballFanCast.com

Really, I think we need to sign a CM. Preferably a world class one. But I am not opposed to moving Dele to the #8 and bringing in a world class AM instead.

I am not sure if Winks is ready for the position to be his. I am not sure he is the best we should hope for at the position. As good as I think he can be, with Spurs ambitions, I would ideally like a higher ceiling player with Winks as backup. Again, something I think Dele could be. Or if we brought in someone like Kovacic, NDombele or possibly Wiegl? I saw a rumor the other day about Wiegl coming to Spurs for about 60 mil. All I could think was "Yes please"

Graelish looks less exciting compared to these options IMO.
  2. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    Weigl is an excellent young player but plays primarily as a DM player. He isn't a playmaker or a b2b AM.
    If, like u say, he is on our radar then one of Dier or Wanyama would have to be sold cos that's where he would slot in.
    It has to be said that even at just 22 he's arguably already better than both of the above so he'd be an upgrade IMO if Poch was considering it.
  3. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    From everything I know about Weigl and from everything I've seen, I don' think he would have any problem playing as an #8. Or at least part of a 2 man midfield that shares responsibilities.

Also, I thought Wanyama could play as an #8, maybe not full time, but again in a shared midfield.

If we lose Toby, Dier could also play CB more and then Wanyama and Weigl could both play as DM.

I don't know, I think obviously adding Weigl would be an upgrade. I think Poch could make it work with Dier, Wanyama, Weigl and Winks. And he wouldn't necessarily need to sell any of them.

Also, Dembele hasn't exactly been an offensive dynamo since playing #8 for us. Really, I think Weigl would be a superior attacking player at the position to Dembele. And while I think we could definitely do with a more offensive player in our #8, we make it work with Dembele. I don't think it would be a problem with Vic, Eric and then a major talent like Julian.
  4. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    I agree 100% about Weigl's quality & that he probably could play in that no8 slot & do a good job of it but personally I'd prefer for us to get someone who already plays that role & is top notch doing it.
    We could be really greedy of course, get Weigl & get say Cebellos or Kovacic & still keep Dier & Vic.
    A midfield 3 of say Eriksen - Weigl - Kovacic with Wanyama, Dier & Winks to rotate in looks decent to me.
  5. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Lol. Having a Weigl, Kovacic, Wanyama, Dier, Winks CM rotation seems like a dream I've had. That would be amazing. Just unfortunate its so unlikely.

But yea, I would also prefer someone who has the history at #8 also. Unfortunately, I think we are going to end up with Graelish as our big #8 signing. As much as I like him for 15mil, its disappointing when comparing him to Kovacic or Weigl. Especially considering he will problem need time to transition to the role as he's generally played AM/Winger. But I don't think he makes any sense being signed by Spurs to play Am or Winger. We all ready have so many better options.

All though with the rumors Wanyama might be sold, Weigl would make perfect sense.
  6. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +339 / 8 / -0
    So you're saying we end up having 2 inexpeirenced players in #8? Fantastic. Both look injury prone. One is new to position. Sounds like we going to win CL.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,150 / 16 / -0
    I'm not convinced by Grealish, but if we're actually going to be using him in central midfield, well that sounds ridiculous to me in honesty.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    I will be shocked if we sell Dembele and replace him with Grealish.
  9. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +687 / 23 / -0
    Shocked and unhappy as hell
  10. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -0
    Pretty sure Poch's whole conversation around being ambitious and backing the manager will not result in that! I am trying not to get carried away but Poch knows he's a man in demand and Levy will have made promises. I can see a big money CM coming in, and Grealish, if bought, would be an investment and play further forward.

I'm talking a Kovacic/ Weigl quality proven CM coming in.....now let me dream :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 121 / -0
    Modric for 2/3 seasons would be a canny signing....
    • Like Like x 2
  12. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,020 / 21 / -0
    Dismay doesn't even begin to cover it.
  13. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,295 / 31 / -0
    Why aye man!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,125 / 34 / -0
    No reason we can't sign a top midfielder. We're in CL, have a new stadium and are the 10th richest club in the world. Pony up, Levy!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    I mean, if we sell Dembele we have to, right? There’s just no other reasonable option. We can’t go to war with Winks and Grealish.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,295 / 31 / -0
    According to ITK's (Trix and Herc) we are still looking at Andre Gomes. Apparently he's struggled since moving to Barca, though I can't say I've been paying any attention. Anyway, here he is playing for Valencia and he looks pretty good. He's a bit slow looking though, but overall he looks much better than I thought given how down on him most are when we are linked with him.

He wouldn't exactly be a mind blowing signing, but he's nowhere near as bad as many are making out.
  17. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,295 / 31 / -0
    I like Ndidi, but have concerns about how good he is on the ball. But if we play a 4141, then all he'd have to do is win it and recycle it. Neither Dier or Wanyama are mobile enough to do that effectively imo. Most of our fans think we need a better passer in CM and I agree with that, but I think it's under stated or even ignored, that we also lack "legs" in the middle of the park. Our CM is so ponderous at times. We desperately need a real athlete in there, like Kante or Gueye. I don't know how true the Barrios rumours are, but if we are interested in that type of player, then surely Ndidi has to be an option.
  18. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,386 / 49 / -0
    They are both interesting and certainly neither are ponderous. Just looking physically, Ndidi is so slight. It's hard to see how he holds up as a CM. Sort of the absolute opposite of Dembele. Barrios, and I hate to say this, has very odd bow legs, and it's got to end up in a serious injury at some point. I hardly see how he gets around. I believe that his injury record is good so who knows. But my spidey sense says that he not the right choice.
  19. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 121 / -0
    Who is the best CM outside of the top 6 teams? Assuming we would never get one from a rival, maybe there is a gem to be had in the premier league....
  20. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,295 / 31 / -0
    I like Doucoure.
  21. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +409 / 10 / -0
    Isco and Wiltshire have the same leg detail, Isco isn’t bad!
  22. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,019 / 121 / -0
    That’s an option who is certainly proven at this level..
  23. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +409 / 10 / -0
    He’s not that fast is he!
  24. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,734 / 49 / -0
    There is no way Putin would allow Russia to be humiliated on his own patch, did Spain really play to win .....mmm.
  25. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +617 / 11 / -0
    I presume your not being serious. Spain thought they could turn up, play there game and win. Well they didn’t. More concerned with possession than progression. End of.

Mike
  26. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,020 / 21 / -0
    Yep, absolute crap. A zillion passes in their own half, but no penetration.
  27. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +184 / 5 / -0
    I really don't understand why Doucoure isn't signed already.
  28. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +409 / 10 / -0
    That sounds like married life!
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  29. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +687 / 23 / -0
    Report on SSN regarding Rabiot at PSG not yet having had assurance from their new coach over his place in the team. Now in the final year of his contract, too. I’d love to see him join Spurs, though he’s also being linked with some big-spending suitors (Juve, Barca, Man U, Man City).
    • Like Like x 2
  30. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Clearly thats not what I want to happen. None the less, it looks like the direction we may be headed in. We won't know until Levy makes a real move for a CM though. As worried as I am about Gaelish, I am starting to worry more about Quadrado. The WC hype surrounding him and his price might be something Levy goes for as he's done in the past. It's hasn't gone well.in the past.

But I think Quadrado/Graelish would be near as bad.

Again, this is only if we go by history and the type of moves Levy has normally made. We have to remember that our all time highest transfer was last season for Sanchez at 42 mil. Liverpool has all ready spent that amount and more on only 3 players so far this window. I'm pretty sure every one of there signings so far have been above our all time highest. Let that set in for a minute.

So while I dream Levy will do similarly and bring in a 50mil CM, a 50mil DM and a 50 mil winger/striker, hell I'd happy with just the CM signing, I just can't expect him to until he actually does. It goes against everything the history of Spurs transfers under Levy shows us. But it's absolutely what we need.

So yea. I expect Quadrado/Graelish unfortunately. It's up to Levy to prove me wrong.