CM Solutions

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by BrakeYawSelf, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +339 / 8 / -0
    1. Both transfers are speculations.
    2. None of mentioned players are used to playing in CM position. Can't see Poch and Levy buying 2 AMs to replace Dembele.
    3. Levy won't pay 50M for Kane replacement if he can't be used as wide forward like Martial.
    4. CM is deep position with a lot of possible players. Don't be suprised if unreported transfers will happen.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
  2. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    1. All transfers before a certified meeting at least are speculation. But the level and type of player are not speculation. They are par for the course for Levy transfers. The specific names don't matter. It's the type of players and price of players in this instance that are in accordance with a pattern that exists throughout Levy's history at Spurs.
    2. Graelish has been used as a CM and many observers have suggested CM might be his ultimate best position. He's mostly been used as a 10/wing but through, but CM none the less at a smaller sample size. I meant Quintero not Quadrado lol. That's my bad. I thought he could play both bot mostly used as AM. But not as sure about him. Again though, its not so much the specific player but the tier of player.
    4. Well, I don't think Levy will buy a winger that can't play up front either. I think the only type of winger Levy will buy is one that can play at CF and the only CF Levy will buy will be one that can play on the wing. The reason for this is simply lack of available roster space, especially home grown space. So it would be nice if Levy would spend a nice chunk of money, like 30mil or more on a striker/winger. Because he's absolutely not going to buy a player at these positions that lacks versatility.
    5. I won't be surprised if Spurs end up buying a name that is yet to be mentioned. I will be surprised if that player is worth more than 30 mil. I will be surprised if that player is a low risk, high upside player. I will be surprised if that player is an automatic starting 11 type player. I will be surprised if that player is the type of CM we actually need to contend.
  3. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    Guys, the name is Cuadrado.
  4. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    You spelled Kovacic wrong my friend.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    Also: Grealish
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    lol. Yea there is a guy named Cuadrado. I was talking about Quintero though. I had a brain fart while writing I guess and it became Quadrado. But to correct, I meant Quintero, the Columbia AM that's getting hyped like crazy for his WC performance.
  7. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 16 / -0
    I must have missed something, because I've watched their games, and haven't seen anything to get hyped about from Quintero.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I would agree. Now, I know these are just paper rumors. But there is a lot of media hype surrounding Quintero right now and especially linking him to Spurs and other teams. Whether those links are real or not doesn't matter really. Just the level of hype surrounding the player. Reminds me of Paulinho hype when we signed him.

A ton of these articles been popping up.

Juan Quintero: Colombia World Cup star could be off to Spurs or Real Madrid | Daily Star

Transfer news: Tottenham arranging offer to Juan Quintero

I also don't think his WC performance has warranted this kind of hype relative to his club career. But for whatever reason, he's getting A LOT of the credit for Columbia advancing. He just has mediocre written all over him IMO. Not the journos though I guess.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  9. PhildoVT Active Member

PhildoVT
    Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -0
    I won’t take the Quintero rumors seriously until they are at least being reported by a slightly more reputable paper than the ones that have been mentioned. If we do buy him, it certainly won’t be to use him as a CM.

Columbia almost failed to advance from a group with three teams that are mediocre at best. With the exception of Davinson’s goal-saving tackle that was almost called a penalty, I haven’t seen anything from any of their players that has stood out.
  10. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +339 / 8 / -0
    So can we end this Quintero nonsense now? I bet we won't see any links in papers anymore. Let's get back to Rabiot Ndombele and Kovacic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 2
  11. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    Agree re this Quintero geezer, don't want him.
    Other than our own Dao Sanchez the Colombian who's impressed me the most has been Wilmar Barrios. I'm not sure if we need another DM but if the rumours a week or so ago about us being interested in him have any substance in them they may be worth firming up.
    Yeah, he should have got a red last night but other than that incident he was immense in their midfield.
    He looks like an N'golo Kante clone to me. The fucker never stops running & never stops biting. Could well be an upgrade on Eric & Vic.
    CM wise any one from Mateo Kovacic, Dani Ceballos, Adrien Rabiot, Tanguy Ndombele, Yves Bissouma or Morgan Sanson to replace The Moose would be good for me. Two from that list would be amazing!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,790 / 49 / -0
    I agree , there's a player in there, Barrios will need calming down which MP can work on , but I like him otherwise.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +436 / 10 / -0
    Have to agree, apart from his antics thought he was a sound player
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Here is a good article that discusses a lot of our issues in midfield, specifically without Dembele. After thinking about it more, it really is amazing that more has not been invested on midfield, given the importance of Dembele and that position relative to Spurs play. If we lose Dembele, as it seems we will, I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Levy doesn't spend the money and bring in a top choice at CM. Just the importance of the position and skill needed at that position would make me not want to play around or gamble on who we bring in. I would want the highest upside player possible. Someone who can come in and directly be put into CM to play in a starting 11.

How do Tottenham approach life after Mousa Dembele? - Tifo Football

I think, if we don't properly replace Dembele, we are going to see how much we really miss his presence, especially in away games at like Old Traf, Pool and even Arse. As much praise as Dembele gets, I still think he is somehow under appreciated to some extent.

I would definitely agree about Barrios. When we were first linked with him, some weeks back, I had never heard of him. Now that I've gotten a couple of chances to watch him play, I have to say I think he would be a very shrewd purchase. He has all the makings of a high end DM and at 24 years old, is now just entering his prime. He definitely isn't a finished product for EPL purposes, but I have faith Poch can work with him until he's on the level.

Going even further, I really think Barrios is a more ideal DM for how Spurs play than Dier. I actually think it might be in our best interest to sign someone like Barrios (or better, would be cool with NDombele or Weigl) to rotate with Wanyama. I would shift Dier to play CB more often and then act as our 3rd choice DM or a DM if there is any system adjustment where Poch wants two DMs in there. I think Barrios is more suited to how Spurs play though, partially because of his pace. If we field a team with 1 DM, I think that DM needs to have more pace than Dier provides, while maintaining strength and some technical ability. For me, a Wanyama/Barrios DM rotation would be fitting. Of course, signing someone like NDombele would give us more options there. I think NDombele could play both DM and CM for Spurs though. Ideally though, adding someone like NDombele or even Barrios, along with a CM like Kovacic would be the best plan of action.
  15. downunderspur Active Member

downunderspur
    Ratings:
    +161 / 5 / -0
    what about Doucoure? Proven PL player and still with a lot of upside.
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
  17. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    Doucoure signed a new contract with Watford yesterday so it looks like its time to scrape the barrel, Southampton is as good a place to start as any.
  18. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    I read this morning that we made contact about Kovacic but haven't put in a concrete offer. Take all that with a grain of salt because no one seems to know anything right now
    • Like Like x 1
  19. pzabby Well-Known Member

pzabby
    Ratings:
    +536 / 10 / -0
    Not even levy it seems.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. WiscoSpursFan Active Member

WiscoSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -0
    If we can steal Kovacic off Chelsea (like William from us) I need us to be in for N’Dombele
  21. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    is the croatian lad we just (allegedly) put a bid in for any good? i dont watch inter and didnt see much of the world cup so am unsure
  22. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +917 / 25 / -0
    Watford are looking at James Ward-Prowse, the problem is his best asset is his crossing from free kicks and Eriksen is generally pretty good at that anyway.
  23. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    Yes, Brozovic is good.
  24. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    We've recently been linked with Slovakian International Stanislav Labotka. Could he be the under the radar signing we end up with?
    I don't know him so did a Danny Rose & went to google.
    He's 23 yo, 5' 7" tall & is a 2 footed CM playmaker who plays in Spain at Celta Vigo.
    He's highly rated online & is even compared by some to both Xavi & Busquets & although short is described as a strong extremely talented midfielder who dictates the play & tempo from deep positions.
    He fits our profile.
  25. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +436 / 10 / -0
    Don’t hold your breath think all over for us this window
  26. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +432 / 17 / -0
    Harry Winks is our saviour. He'll be controlling our midfield all season, Poch will wave his magic wand and within a few weeks he'll be better than any £50m signing we could have imagined.

Just you wait....
  27. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Nothing under the radar about him

We apparently put in a bid which didn’t meet inters valuation of him
  28. MichiganStateSpur18 Active Member

MichiganStateSpur18
    Ratings:
    +179 / 4 / -0
    Dendoncker would have been nice
  29. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    Sissoko it is then!
  30. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    He's gonna get loaned to Ferbanche along with Janssen. Luke Amos is gonna be his replacement.