Could Spurs play a 4-3-1-2?

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by JJohns, Mar 6, 2011.

1. JJohns Active Member

JJohns
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I don't know a whole lot here really formation sense, so don't attack me here!

I was wondering if Spurs could play a 4-3-1-2 type formation, with Van der Vaart right behind the two strikers. The three in the midfield could be Bale-Modric-Lennon (Modric in the middle, Bale/Lennon on their sides). Defenders, we'll see.

Would a 4-3-1-2 match their attacking style? Or would Spurs just get torn apart?
  2. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,550 / 3 / -0
    Wouldnt want to see this because we thrive off playing with width in a sense that Bale and Lennon are most effective when played in wider positions. However they could pinch in when were defending and then spread out when were on the break but we also strive off having a DM to allow Modric to do what he likes and in this formation we'd probably get caught out more often than normal.
  3. CmonyouSpurs Well-Known Member

CmonyouSpurs
    Ratings:
    +1,622 / 0 / -0
    Waaaaay too open. You're talking about have just ONE body in the heart of our midfield. We would get completely carved open that way...
  4. ShaneOMac Active Member

ShaneOMac
    Ratings:
    +221 / 13 / -0
    Dammit I miss Huddlestone
  5. JJohns Active Member

JJohns
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Haha yea I figured that much after thinking about it, more "food for thought" than anything really.
  6. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,797 / 6 / -0
    If we were to play a 4-3-1-2 then you would have to leave Lennon and Bale out.

Huddlestone, Sandro and Modric as the three, Van der Vaart off the front two of any of Defoe/Pav/Crouch . . . . .
  7. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +785 / 3 / -0
    Way too open, plus with vdv playing I say you need to play him with crouch, they work so well together so I would just play 4-4-1-1 like we usually do, with crouch as the lone striker,

Modders is good but not good enough to control the middle of the pitch by himself IMO
  8. jhorneck3723 New Member

jhorneck3723
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you want to play with the idea you could maybe do a 4-2-3-1 with Modders and Sandro/Palacios/Huddleston (please God let it be soon) behind Bale/VDV/Lennon. It would just turn into the normal 4-4-1-1 anyway though.
  9. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,230 / 8 / -0
    As others have said, I think the 4-4-1-1 is just about right for us, given our strength in wide areas. Whatever people say about Harry's tactical nous, when everyone's healthy, he's got to play to our strengths, and this formation is the simplest way to do it. Gives both Modric and VdV a bit of license to roam, and opens up the flanks for Bale/Azza.