Defining "types" of Strikers - community input needed

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by Dustin, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    Hey all, I have been working on something where i attempt to better classify different types of players in a given position, in a way that is easy to explain and understand (this has sort of thing has been done before, so I realize I am kind of reinventing the wheel, but what the hell). I have some ideas about how this could be used for assessing/training youth teams, but right now I'm just seeing how it turns out. To do this I have been simply taking a general positional category (e.g. striker), naming the "type" (e.g. target man) or role of player within that category, and within that type, generally defining its "attributes" (e.g. Tall, strong, hold-up play, ariel), and lastly then giving examples of the type using well known players as examples (e.g. Llorente, Crouch). I especially need help with this last bit as I may see a player's role differently than how they are more popularly considered - but feel free to correct/change/delete anything below (players, titles etc) and I will try to combine everyone's ideas.

So now I'll just do types of strikers, and if you have any additions to make to any of the types/attributes/examples, it would really be appreciated. Eventually I'll put these into either a pie or bubble chart that hopefully can be used to plot where players land within it.

Anyway, it may make an interesting read but remember it is a general representation, obviously it won't be able to show every nuance and plenty of players are going to be in-between categories (e.g. Kun Aguero: pure striker or goal scoring second striker?).

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Type of Striker:
    ------Key Attributes:
    ----------------Examples:

Type of Striker: Pure Striker
    ------ Key Attributes: Pace, Quickness, Dribbling, Finishing, #9
    ----------------Examples: Robin Van Persie, Fernando Torres

Type of Striker: Poacher
    ------Key Attributes: Quick, Finisher, Poacher/"Nose for the goal" (right place right time), #9 or #10
    ----------------Examples: Jermain Defoe, Javier Hernandez

Type of Striker: Center Forward
    ------Key Attributes: Size, Pace, Ariel threat, Ball control/hold up, Through ball threat, Finisher, #9
    ----------------Examples: Didier Drogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovich, Andy Carroll

Type of Striker: Target Man
    ------Key Attributes: Very Tall, Physical/Size, Plays with back to goal and makes passes, Brings down the ball well
    ----------------Examples: Fernando Llorente, Peter Crouch

Type of Striker: Number 10 Goal Scorer
    ------Key Attributes: Often drops into midfield, scores a lot of goals, good finisher
    ----------------Examples: Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Lionel Messi

Type of Striker: Number 10 Playmaker
    ------Key Attributes: Often drops into midfield, vision, passer, assists
    ----------------Examples: Rafael Van Der Vaart, Robinho?

A cyclical representation would therefore look something like:
    Pure Striker <-> Center Forward <-> Target Man <-> #10 Playmaker <-> #10 Goal Scorer <-> Poacher <-> Pure Striker

Feel free to throw ideas in, thanks!
  2. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    I've always thought Klinsmann was the definition of a complete striker. Not saying he's the best ever but he could do everything you'd expect a striker to do.
  3. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 21 / -0
    An easy way to learn this is to get Football Manager :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot of players transcend these labels, for example Ade for us is sometimes a target man, sometimes a Center Forward, sometimes a #10 playmaker and scorer.

I will say though it's very hard to label players and I applaud your effort. I would add Benzema to the Pure Striker and Falcao to the Poacher to help though.
  5. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    I think right now Sergio Auguero is a complete striker.

They hit him in the channels. He comes deep. He creates. He scores for fookin fun. He holds the ball. Quick as fook. Uses his head occasionally. Works like a dog.

I'd say he aint a big fooker but he is strong as fook. Doesn't score that many with his had but has all the ability if it's at the right hight.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    Going Italian.....

Type of Striker: Number 10 Goal Scorer

I think this would describe Di Natale.

It's gotten to point now when I'm not watching Udinese play see they go up a goal and just assume it's Toto.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    Damn one video per post rule....:y14:

Type of Striker: Number 10 Playmaker

And this screams out Miccoli. Actually Di Natale and Miccoli are similar characters, they just have slightly different games.

These are his goals but he's pretty influential setting up goals as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  8. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    I would add Suarez to #10 goal scorer, and I would put Benz in the center forward category. RVP can also be added to about 4 of those categories. Mario Gomez can be both Target Man and Center Forward. Falcao is a perfect example of a poacher, and perhaps Cavani too although personally I would put him in the pure striker category.

I am confused though, as to how in such specific descriptions, a poacher is to be considered a #10? But otherwise, really interesting read.
  9. IguazuCalleja New Member

IguazuCalleja
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Great post!

Where would Adebayor fit into this? For me, he is a centre forward who also has the movement of a #10 and the ability to hold the ball up. He's really unique - will be difficult to find a player who plays like him if we don't come to agreement.
  10. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    So a lot of very competitive youth teams go to off-season camps as a team along with their coaches. When they get there the coach often meets with the camp provided "trainer" which is usually a highly experienced professional (or collegiate) coach that works at such camps during the summer off-season. So there are all different ways these things can be structured and different objectives the camps can have - but if it is a team-oriented camp, usually prior to the start of the camp the team's regular coach will meet with the camp-provided trainer and discuss what types of players he has. Together they will decide upon a system that fits the team best based on what players they have. The trainer will then offer a series of sessions teaching the youth players how to play a given formation.

So although such a rigid model is difficult to fit top players into, it could be a useful way to quickly understand a "type" of player and discuss how that player fits within a particular system.

Thanks for the feedback so far I'll update this thing soon, maybe if I get ambitious I'll put videos to it.

Also, [MENTION=6887]MagnaThor[/MENTION] maybe I should not call a poacher a #10, was just trying to find a way to describe that type of goal scorer that is crafty, always in the right place, and consistently finding the net, despite not being particularly pacey (yet usually quick) or dominant. Defoe is a good example, perhaps Michael Owen (especially later in his career) would be another.
  11. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    He would be a Center Forward, center forwards can really do it all, they can play in a 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, they can play with their back to the goal or facing it, also they almost always are big and fast. As a result of this diversity of skills, they are the rarest (most expensive) and generally the most desirable type of player out there - simply if you have a top CF, you can easily change your team to fit a given situation. Ade has been exactly that for us, he does it all. Drogba, however is the most clear-cut example.
  12. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0

Well sir, I was about to pull out the sarcasm card, but too late for that!

:y15:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mattads1882 Donator

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +689 / 7 / -0
    I think maybe something is missing. Those kind of workhorse strikers who don't really fit into any of the other categories very well. Can't really think of many examples right now, maybe Olic or Kuyt when he used to play up front for Liverpool. Those types that never stop running but aren't necessarily that technically gifted and don't score that many goals.
  14. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    Try to think of more examples so I can get a better idea of what you mean.
  15. deejbah Well-Known Member

deejbah
    Ratings:
    +2,005 / 0 / -0
    More of a defensive type forward, like Stracqualursi who plays for Everton?

Also is someone like Sturridge a pure striker, or is there another type of category for that type of player?
  16. noone_suspicious New Member

noone_suspicious
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    CF is a player that is extraordinary talented, he is a treat to a goal, and will often score but he is too good to be left in front of goal depending on others to provide him with a scoring opportunity so he often drops to midfield to spark things up and create a chance for someone else or himself. He likes the ball to be played directly at his feet.
    Players like that are rare and they are hard to fit into conventional formations especialy in england. The entire team needs to be built around them.
    Some exapmples would be: Gudjohanson, Totti, Rooney, Alan Smith...
  17. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    Yeah I have CF defined as a #9 e.g. Drogba. What you are describing, to me is a #10 like Rooney or Totti.
  18. CmonyouSpurs Well-Known Member

CmonyouSpurs
    Ratings:
    +1,619 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there's too much of a difference between the two categories of #10s. Really, a #10s job consists of both playmaking and, when possible, goalscoring. I'd unite those 2 categories and call them "Second Strikers"
    • Like Like x 1
  19. noone_suspicious New Member

noone_suspicious
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm not talking about numbers, but #10 is more midfield oriented figure than striker. #10 would me, Zidane, Diego, Deco,Ronaldinho
  20. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,557 / 16 / -0
    Most those players played a bit deeper or in a wide midfield.

I do think a #10 striker (in Italy Trequartista) is discernibly different then a player who wears #10 and plays a bit deeper, and both fit the class as a #10. The Spanish define that type of player as a #8 attacking midfielder. The same principle remains, it's the player that links midfield to attack, whatever form that may take. When Zidane played for Juve he was a Treq and France wide midfielder (drifting central), it really doesn't matter where they play rather how they pay. Totti is the definition of a Treq. Maradona is the best Trequartista ever.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,778 / 16 / -0
    Just happened upon this, (as I was thinking of Totti and thinking if I took 10 shots per game I would score 15 goals a season as well)... is this right? He only averages 2.3/game? Anyway Totti and Sneijder are great examples of #10s for me.

Serie A Top 10 Key Passers
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  22. noone_suspicious New Member

noone_suspicious
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There are many types of strikers and only so few classic numbers, so I think we should drop the whole numbering scheme. No point in trying to categorize all strikers in 9s and 10s.