Douglas Costa

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by Ginola'sWhiteHeart, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,436 / 15 / -0
    This is from left field but thought it would be interesting.
    No mention that he is available but we are amongst the favourites to sign him if he is. lol

Tottenham Hotspur among bookies favourites to sign Douglas Costa

Tottenham Hotspur are currently considered 8/1 shots to sign Bayern Munich winger Douglas Costa.

[​IMG]

According to Bet Victor, Tottenham Hotspur are in the running to sign Bayern Munich winger Douglas Costa.

Tottenham are considered 8/1 shots to be Costa’s next club, which puts them amongst the favourites to sign the Brazilian international.

There are no suggestions that Bayern are about to sell Costa, but the odds are an intriguing development.

[​IMG]

Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United are all also considered options for Costa this summer, but for Spurs to be listed as one of the most likely destinations for the 25-year-old shows just how far they have risen in recent seasons.

Costa is regarded as one of the finest wingers in Europe, and he has shown moments of real quality since moving to Bayern last summer.

[​IMG]

Costa scored seven goals in 43 appearances in total for the German giants, but Spurs are clearly considered an option if he becomes available.
    If Mauricio Pochettino’s side were able to bring Costa to White Hart Lane it would be a real statement of intent, as they look to protect their place in the top four.

Spurs have made two signings so far this summer - bringing in both Vincent Janssen and Victor Wanyama.

[​IMG]

List page image © Reuters
  2. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +770 / 22 / -0
    Why in the world would Bayern let him go it makes no sense.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Glenjamin Well-Known Member

Glenjamin
    Ratings:
    +920 / 9 / -0
    For a few seconds there I couldn't suss out Chelsea's Costas first name.. Near pee'd myself thinking it was him. Big rubber faced Diego!
  4. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    Bayern Munich is my 2nd club and I can assure all of you that this could only happen in the dreams of journalists. Probability that he would start new season in Spurs shirt are unde 1%. Why ? List of reasons -

1) In my eyes he was player of the season for Bayern in past campaign. Explosive, fast, techical, precise. Shortly - just brilliant. Specially in the first half of the season - in BL he scored 2 and assisted 12 (!) goals according to transfermarkt. And in the games it could be seen. There was literally NO fullback who could stop him. He went past them from outside and crossed, then cut inside and gave pass / took a shot.
    2) In addition of his brilliance, the current situation within squad does not support transfer one bit - Robben just got a 6-week injury, and after Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt left from the medical personell, Arjen has not stayed healthy over long periods. Ribery just returned from lenghty injury and Gotze will be sold. That means that Coman and Costa are two wingers Carlo could count on. Why in the world should he sell one of them ??? That would not make sense.
    3) As I described in point 1 - he had a huge season. If he were to be available, he would cost over 50 million euros. His contract runs until 2020. Would anyone imagine us, tossing out that kind of sum and outbid competitors in wage department (while answering, one might keep in mind that certain Pep named guy took over ManC; so there he could join familiar coach under whom guidance he flourished already and who would pay him 170k per week).

So in short - this would be a dream of a transfer. He would lit the league in fire. But as dreams go, it does not seem realistic AT ALL.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jabbathehut Member

jabbathehut
    Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    This weeks Goetze .Next
  6. Filips Member

Filips
    Ratings:
    +53 / 5 / -0
    Lol this is so not happening. But hey, "news" sites gotta make money too you know...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,459 / 61 / -0
  8. deejbah Well-Known Member

deejbah
    Ratings:
    +2,302 / 1 / -0
    Checks Calendar... Nope not April 1st
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RaleighSpur Well-Known Member

RaleighSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -0
    7 goals in 43 matches? What a dud. Guy didn't score in the league between November and April.

Average player in an average league.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    Please, do not embarras yourself. Thanks.
    Clearly I have marked assists in posts in this and other topic.
  11. Achtung Spurs Well-Known Member

Achtung Spurs
    Ratings:
    +3,101 / 32 / -0
    If only the fish would bite as quick as you haha
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. kayat Well-Known Member

kayat
    Ratings:
    +444 / 11 / -0
    I will be very crazy if we can sign him.
  13. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +853 / 25 / -0
    He was kidding. It was sarcasm.
  14. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    I understood it. Just in some cases I find reasonable to answer to hostile sarcasm.
  15. Marsh Well-Known Member

Marsh
    Ratings:
    +1,577 / 16 / -0
    I think it was more a dig based on @TheSpurEST s comments about N'Koudou (which were also pretty funny).
  16. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    Report: Tottenham want Bayern Munich's £30m-rated winger Douglas Costa

Media has exploded with speculations about Douglas Costa and Spurs link.
    Have to say that I did not find any trustworthy source but since the previous time it was discussed here, I see it as much more probable thing to happen. I feel he has not done so well under Papa Carlo and during this season he has not been 1st choice.

I would be over the moon if we would manage to sign him...I don't know what might be the price for him, but I would go all out to get him.
    I don't think that he is actually superior player to Mane. Mane is more of a goalscorer himself, and Costa rather provider but his wing play is absolutely stunning. On the peak of his form he is unplayable for fullbacks.

His contract runs until 2020 so basically that means Bayern should be willing to dispose him, but he is reported to be on 100k € salary - something we could totally match.... So if we want to add Europe experience, some serious pace and technique - he might be the guy!
    Levy, your move!
  17. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    P.S so... how has this worked out here :D ?
  18. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,274 / 19 / -0
    Despite the 'rave' review from TheSpurEST the management at Bayern are far from happy with this year's performance from Costa, he was expected to step up on goals and assists from his first season .... however scoring just 6 goals, and providing just 6 assists (they've scored 96 feckin' goals this season) has not been anywhere near good enough .... no idea where The Spur EST gets 12 assists from, it's just 3 in the BL and 3 in the CL https://www.whoscored.com/Players/68889/Show/Douglas-Costa he was their fourth highest transfer when signed and it's no secret that they are now looking to cut and run ....

The fans love him because he takes on his man ... but with little or no end result he's not what Ancelotti wants ...

At 26 he's probably not getting any better, he can't defend for shit .... can only see him joining us as an impact substitute and at 30+ million do we need that? ............... to me he's not even close to a Poch type player but then if Poch wants him who are we to argue .....

FYI - He's only managed 90 minutes once in the last seven, Ancelotti either subbing him off after 60 minutes or playing him for the last 15 ... he's only been used as a sub in the later stages of the CL ....
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,459 / 61 / -0
    Those are posts from July 2016. ;)
  20. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,274 / 19 / -0
    LOL that will teach me to read --- sorry TheSpurEST no offence meant --- as a keen BL watcher what do you make of him this season? ......
  21. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    No worries :D despite being year apart in time-wise, the posts are very "close" in terms of this thread !

But I have to admit, this season I have been bit lazy reagarding keeping my eye on Bundesliga. Time limitations mean that it is harder to follow two and without a doubt Spurs (and our competitions) are more important for me. So I would also appreciate someone else's view on this.

I kind of have feeling that Carlo does not like him for some reason. He also has had some injury problems (and well, it might have some spill-over effects as well - you know not being fit enough, not on totally same wavelenght with teammates after returning etc), so this is one factor to consider as well.

And in this sense I would like to add, that with my review I don't want to say he is like world top 10 player nor messiesque but in regards of what we might realistically expect to sign he might be one of the most exciting prospects. I don't fully believe the view of "him not defending" because under Pep (when he had really good season - played 43 games, scored 7 and assisted 18) all players had to work and press pretty hard...
  22. RaleighSpur Well-Known Member

RaleighSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,216 / 37 / -0
    he's a bit old for what he'd cost us, i think.
  23. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    Might very well be.
    But if all the other aspects would fit (and it is a big if) then I think we could do a bit different deal as well.

I mean in order to keep our current players satisfied we have to show ambition. And if we add quality players who are in the prime of their careers, then I don't think it would be wrong to add someone with more experience.

Also just re-checked it- guy is 26. So no older than Walker, Trippier, Rose and approx same age as Wanyama. So he would have sell-on value still, specially if he would do well for us. And if not, well... MLS or China :D .
  24. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +901 / 28 / -0
    Buying players at even 26 goes against the grain for me, unless they are some sort of bargain like TA was. And Costa may be that sort I suppose. But the other thing is, are we actually short of midfielders? We have Dier, Winyama, Winks and Dembele. And Eriksen does play there sometimes and might do more often if we strengthen the front line. It seems like our priorities are most likely to be CBs and Backs and of course a young striker.
  25. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +770 / 22 / -0
    26 does seem a bit older than we'd normally go for, he's not a central midfielder though he'd play behind the striker so would be competing against Ali,Son,Eriksen etc. I haven't seen him much this season he looked great before that though, with us playing 2 behind the striker in half the games now it doesn't seem a priority but if Lamela is sold then Costa would be a natural replacement.
  26. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +901 / 28 / -0
    My mistake on his position. But as for being 26, I'd rather we be selling players at 26.
  27. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +819 / 21 / -0
    Wut? Cmon mate, I really don't fancy only using one-solution-fits-it-all.
    I might agree that this is the most common practice, but that does not mean we should ONLY use this one option. I believe it should be based on the situation and I really do believe that a few more experienced players would not harm the team in any way!

Plus saying that you'd rather see us selling at 26 kind of suggest we are selling club. Cause 26 is very much the prime age. Selling players at this age means they will play some of their best years for some other clubs, while those who are found "not good enough" should anyways be sold at earlier age....
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +666 / 18 / -0
    That's a bit one dimensional. For example, if we were offered Gareth Bale and could afford him, should we turn him down for being aged 27? Or the same for Sanchez or Pedro or Willian and a host of other players?

By the same reckoning we should immediately transfer out LLoris, Toby, Walker and Dembele.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  29. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,415 / 24 / -0
    Every team needs a good mix between older experienced players and young and hungry players. I did not agree with WhiteHartDutch all the time. But I remember his mantra: "You'll never win anything with kids". And there is a lot of truth in that.
  30. Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Zarathustra
    Ratings:
    +4,459 / 61 / -0
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1