Everton Game - potentially postponed ???

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by DelboyN17, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DelboyN17 New Member

DelboyN17
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Guys I am tottenham born and bred, and after walking around this morning and seeing the full damage that has been done I cant help wonder will the game on saturday vs Everton be cancelled for obvious reasons.

The extent of the damage along the high road from the old british legion (seven sisters end) right the way down passed WHL is beyond belief, with the potential for buildings to collapse I wonder will the police and the London Fire service have the resources available and maybe advise Tottenham that 36,000 people in town on saturday will be a bad idea, thats ofcourse assuming the rioting stops ???

Also i cant help but think what the affect last night could have on any potential signings, can you imagine a player like Llorente telling his wife ... its london what a beautiful city, then putting on skynews and see the carnage in tottenham. i guess we all know what her answer would be.

Your thoughts would be fully appreciated
  2. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    Our ground is an oasis of calm and there are hundreds of security and police there .

BTW league games are NEVER cancelled , they are postponed .
  3. DelboyN17 New Member

DelboyN17
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Rev but have you seen the full extent of the damage ???? on TV maybe but in person ???? loads od police and security ..... dont make me laugh !!!
  4. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    That might be what he meant.
  5. mattyvw Well-Known Member

mattyvw
    Ratings:
    +535 / 1 / -0
    i'm sure if llorente did sign he wouldn't live that near whl. But it might be another excuse for harry to use as why we haven't effing signed anyone.
  6. willk9 New Member

willk9
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Yeh I've heared that it could be cancelled, but I reckon we will have to see how things go this week and if there is any more trouble.....
  7. Enfield_spurs Well-Known Member

Enfield_spurs
    Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    I'm fairly confident It will go ahead, but you never know, theres always a possibility.
  8. Hornsby_Hotspur New Member

Hornsby_Hotspur
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    could they switch the game to at everton and then the game that is suppose to be at everton be our home game??
  9. Marky-Plant New Member

Marky-Plant
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Can't they just move it to everton's ground?

Surely thats the simple option!
  10. Matt Well-Known Member

Matt
    Ratings:
    +547 / 1 / -0
    I dont think Liverpool and Everton are allowed to play at home on the same day - they wouldn't simply flick the fixture anyway for logistical reasons it would be play at WHL or postpone.

I doubt they will cancel it but I think there is a big call for doing so. I cant imagine how bad the trip away fom the ground would be if people couldnt walk up the high street to Seven Sisters so I dont think you can close off the damaged area and if anyone fancies some more rioting next saturday it would be a nightare with 30,000 potential vigilanty spurs fans mixed into the equation.
    Matt,
  11. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Tottenham fear riots could affect Everton match | Mail Online

Tottenham must wait to hear if the club’s Premier League kick-off at home to Everton on Saturday will be postponed after riots in the area.
    White Hart Lane is less than a mile from Tottenham Police Station, where around 300 people gathered from 5.30pm on Saturday to protest over the fatal shooting of Mark Duggan, 29.
    The demonstration was trouble-free until around 8.20pm, when two police cars were attacked on High Road.

Buildings and cars were then set alight, 48 people were arrested and eight police officers taken to hospital.
    The Metropolitan Police are ‘aware’ further disorder is being planned on sites such as Twitter.
    Tottenham cancelled stadium tours of White Hart Lane for Sunday and Monday ‘due to safety reasons’.

The Spurs Megastore was closed and the ticket office in Park Lane, to the south of the ground, will not open until Wednesday.
    The club intend to operate a counter service from the matchday ticket windows in Paxton Road between 9.30am and 5pm on Monday and Tuesday.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. greatbrit101 New Member

greatbrit101
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I can say for sure that switching the match to Goodison unfortunately isnt going to be an option because Liverpool are playing Sunderland on the same weekend, and because of the close proximity of our grounds we're not allowed to play at home on the same weekend. So if the police say you cant go ahead with the match at your place this weekend then it'll be postponed.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    With all the looting going on it must give us an even better chance of us signing Rooney, given he's from Liverpool.
  14. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    So basically, we'll be bottom of the EPL next weekend. Juande Ramos here we come.:001_302:
  15. 'Nixspur Well-Known Member

'Nixspur
    Ratings:
    +1,215 / 0 / -0
    Na, surely some teams will lose and have negative goal difference.

Mid-table mediocrity, here we come again!
  16. Enfield_spurs Well-Known Member

Enfield_spurs
    Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    We'll be above all the teams who lose, as they will have negative goal difference and we will have neutral lol
  17. boo Staff Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +5,947 / 15 / -0
    it's shocking! anyone from the forum living in the area, keep your head down
    boo,
  18. Brodjah Active Member

Brodjah
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Yeah unfortunately its not as simple as switch the fixture home/away because of policing rules. Takes effect even in the lower leagues with the likes of Portsmouth/Southampton.
  19. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    If the game gets postponed, would it most likely be postponed for this first half of the season (through December) or would it be played in the second half of the season (jan-may)?

The postponement in itself could be a blessing in disguise because we have such a hard schedule of 5 games in 2 weeks!! Including playing both Manchester teams.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. melbourne_spur Well-Known Member

melbourne_spur
    Ratings:
    +287 / 0 / -0
    Yea but would rather get some games out the way now when the squad is fresh, rather than later in the season when we could have a backlog of games with the Europa League or fa or carling cup games to play as well. only advantage I could see is that we will have our squad finalised after September.
  21. SAspursfan New Member

SAspursfan
    Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I have had many instances in SA of being caught in the middle of rampaging unionists, workers, strikers etc., who feel it is important to destroy buildings and shops etc., and i can assure every-one it is a very scary business. Especially over here where such a large section of the population own guns (most legimate owners, but many stolen guns)

Our police are very 'gung ho' and are not adverse to shooting, with the slightest of provocation.

I feel for the people of Tottenham, because often their is simmering tension after such a tragedy and things can boil over very quickly again and escalate out of control. My thoughts are that it would be wiser to postpone this weekends fixture at WHL, so as to avoid taking an unnecessary risk, when so many innocent people could get caught up in this.

Peoples safety and lives are more important than postponing a game of football
  22. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    I think in September we only have 3 games so far ???

So first game would potentially be ManU away ?

I edited the title too ...
  23. THFCsaunders Active Member

THFCsaunders
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    The everton game is will be my 2nd visit to the lane ... im travelling from liverpool , sitting with the everton fans. And ofcourse something had to happen when i want to go, i would be extremely gutted if it was postponed. Anybody think it WILL be postponed ?
  24. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    Everton update - News Articles - Tottenhamhotspur.com

Following the disturbances in Tottenham over the weekend, the Club has been in ongoing discussions with the necessary authorities regarding this coming weekend's Premier League fixture against Everton.
    We can advise fans that at this stage the game is going ahead and the Club is doing everything it can to ensure that this remains the position.
    Fans are advised to please check the website for further updates and in particular travel details as we shall look to advise fans on best available travel options.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. THFCsaunders Active Member

THFCsaunders
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  26. THFCsaunders Active Member

THFCsaunders
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    [MENTION=5155]spursman18[/MENTION] your to quick at this :)
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Young Yiddo Active Member

Young Yiddo
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Slightly worried as I'm travelling to and from the game alone on the train, hope this is all over by Saturday
  28. Iconic Drei I am the Drei of all the Icons

Iconic Drei
    Ratings:
    +1,638 / 0 / -0
    Same, fancy traveling with me and a few mates fella? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Snowleopard New Member

Snowleopard
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    As gutted as I am that the game might be postpones I just hope people aren't taking out their rage on the rioters. Yes it might be their fault i a direct sense, but I am surprised something like this has not happened before and does not happen more often. The way poor people are treated by the british government at the moment is awful. I would love it if we as tottenham fans would show our solidarity with people from tottenham in their struggle regardless of whether we agree with their methods or not. I believe that we as fans and as part of this community (somehow) should be very careful to condemn the overall reaction although I do also feel sad when I see personal houses looted and burned.
  30. Young Yiddo Active Member

Young Yiddo
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Haha I dunno if youre joking or not lol. Im traveling up from uxbridge anyway so right from the start of the met line