Fernando Llorente

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by BrakeYawSelf, Aug 31, 2017.

1. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Definitely. I was hoping for the double S Moussa Dembele. But there are others out there I would be happy with.

Based on everything he has said, I think we might actually keep Kane for his entire career, which would be amazing. But we also need to start developing a backup to him. Maybe the club will bide it's time and come up with another Dele, Dier type find but at striker.
  2. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    1) Could someone please transfer this thread to the players chat :) ?

2) I would just mention, that up to now, Llorente has not been one bit an improvement on Janssen. Ofc we cannot draw comprahensive conclusions from what we have seen up to now, but start is not promising at all. As far as I have seen, whith those 331 minutes he has made 2 meaningful impacts - both on Real away game. Other time of this game and all the others he was almost like not there at all. And just saying... Janssen managed to do some hold-up play himself and put in a cleaver pass now and then. I very much hope that his fortunes will turn, otherwise we have to hope that some desperate club will pay us like 7 mil for him and we should cut our losses....
  3. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    West ham in the league when we were down to 10 men he helped us kill off that game.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ghostyhed Active Member

ghostyhed
    Ratings:
    +571 / 8 / -0
    I have already made my opinions about this transfer right at the beginning, but the majority of you think he will be am upgrade. He is a good striker but won't be utilised because we play not to his strengths.

Yet, now it seems he is not an upgrade. Christ.

We have played what?? Less than 10 games and his performance in Madrid was great and showed signs of his usefulness.

Personally I think he has done ok and his upgrade over Janssen is his ability in aerial and tactical play.
  5. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    He has played 192 minutes over ten games. When he has played he hasn't played with Son on the pitch who I think he would link better with than Sissoko, also Davies\Rose were missing at times would would also help him. I wonder what we really want from a back up striker, goals don't come if you are not on the pitch nor anything else.
  6. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Umm. Well, sure. Mybe. I mean Janssen pitched in to hold up play and "killing off game" as well at times. In that sense I see no upgrade really.

Did he show his usefulness? Because I remember 2 good passes in RM game. 1st half I don't recall him winning any headers nor did he seem fast enough to press the RM defenders without the ball.
    And it absolutely might be that because of his areal ability or tactical awareness he will become an upgrade but up to now I have not seen how it has translated into something on the field (except, again those 2 passes around 75th minute mark in Bernabeu).

Only that he has actually played 331 minutes over 12 games...

And somehow I had the feeling that we would expect from backup striker that we could use the same system even when we are playing without Kane. When we actually had to do it - in first game we lost to Wham and in 2nd he was benched against ManU (where I would have expected him to actually - to be the vocal point upfield against physically strong site)...

All I am saying is that it seems that up to now, he has not been any better (well on the field, points like "but he is WC winner, he played for Juve, he has better areal ability don't really count if they dont translate to what we see on the field) then Janssen. I hope fortunes will turn and he will become that danger-man who can come from the bench and bring those late winners for us - ofc I do.
  7. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    I'm not sure what more you could actually want from him at this stage? He played well away at Real. He was decent in the first half against West Ham in the cup. The only time we've really thrown him on to get us a goal to get back in the game was against Utd which is a big ask. Every other game he was just brought on to see out our lead and did that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Well, for starters I would be happy if he would be any kind of goal threat at some point. Would be nice.

And sorry, in Real away game I do not agree he "played well" he was totally invisible and incapable of winning any duels with defenders in the first half and across the whole time on pitch he gave 2 good passes. He was out of place if anything. I admit it is bit of a stretch to say that but at home without 2 in front we were on another level.
    Also there is more to it then the times we have used him. The very fact that we did not use him in the ManU game from the start shows that Poch did not trust him enough for that.

But ok, I'd rather not make it as a crusade against the fella. I admit the the sample size up to now has not been quite enough. And I hope he can raise his game in the future period. All I wanted to point out up to now is that he has not been any better then Janssen was for us.
  9. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    You are being unduly harsh if you think Llorente didn't play well against RM away. Who do you think played well in that game? If you think he didn't play well I love to know how you rated the rest of our team. Lloris and Verts were fantastic. Winks was very good. Llorente played as well anyone else on the pitch.
  10. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    Tbh Its difficult to judge Llorente on what we've seen of him so far.
    Lets not forget that he joined us right at the end of the window & with his broken arm still in plaster so his pre-season was pretty much non existent before coming to us. As a consequence of that he's been playing catch up to get himself up to the fitness levels required to operate effectively in our team which, lets face it, wouldn't have been an easy thing for him do a at 30+ yo even if he'd joined us fully fit back in May.
    Barring RM away, where I thought he had a decent game, he's been used in fits & starts & mainly as a late sub and when that has happened we've pretty much failed to play to his main strength ie- whipping dangerous crosses into the box for him to get his nut on.
    When he has played I can only remember us put in one really decent ball for him tbh. It was late on vs Swansea when he won the ball under pressure and nodded it down & on to Aurier who nearly scored.
    If he'd received a couple of crosses like the one Tripps put in for Dele vs RM (who missed) I'm sure he would have scored for us by now.
    As the season progresses, as he get fitter & as we learn to give him the service he needs when he's on I'm convinced he's gonna be a useful & dangerous option for us.
    Give him a chance lads!
  11. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Okay, maybe you would care to explain what made his game so good. Cause I can explain why I think he had a bad one.
    I would be geniually interested as he did not manage to take down any of the long balls we played him. Nor did he win any dangerous headers (even failed to head down some headers from crosses where he should have had the time to do it). He did not get a shot on the target.
    He closed down the defenders much slower than Kane did. He lost pretty much all the duels within first 55 minutes.

Honestly I did not see any impact of his game except for those two passes he made in short period of time around 74th minute.

If you ask who did well - I would say collectively our defence + Winks. I think Eriksen managed to do quite a lot and Kane still caused the goal even though goal was deemed OG in the end. And could not forget MoM worthy Lloris who made absolutely brilliant saves.
  12. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    What made his game "so good"? I don't remember saying that. As I said he played well. You seem very focused on him losing aerial duels even though he won the most for us in the entire game. He also created the 2nd most chances for us behind Eriksen. He could have easily won us a peno when he got to a cross just ahead of their keeper. Was involved a lot in our build up and retaining possession (25 passes to Kane's 14). He also had a nice turn away from a defender on the edge of the box early on led to a blocked shot.
  13. ghostyhed Active Member

ghostyhed
    Ratings:
    +571 / 8 / -0
    Preaching to the wrong choir. I was opposed to Llorente signing to be honest, because i really didnt think he will fit into this squad and play style.
    He he has been useful, (not impactful) He has a good positional sense and a proper ariel threat. I do not have examples to share.
    He may not be any improvement by a mile from Janssen, and i am trying to be convinced if Llorente is any upgrade at all.
    My point is, it is not his fault he is bought, it is not his fault he has played 330 minutes and what not, and clearly not his fault if crosses dont come into the box. The only thing going for him is that he will bring some experience to the team. Maybe this will be revealed in the later stages.

He is still also a credible striker who is willing to sit on the bench, and there arent many of Llorente quality in the shopping window, i am not concern on the level of impact on-pitch from him, but rather, he checks all the other boxes, and i think alot of fans need to settle with that compromise.
  14. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    I would have him starting some matches with Kane on the bench, dont see any reason why he cant be the main striker at times.
  15. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Would be nice for Harry to get a rest but he wouldn’t take to kindly to warming the bench.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  16. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0
    I think he's an upgrade over Janssen simply because he scares' opponents. While he hasn't played much he still makes me more comfortable than Janssen. I have a hunch he will bag some big goals for us before the season is through.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    because kane wouldnt have it, these guys are fit enough to play 60 games a season. With injuries occurring they'll be plenty of games for llorente to get involved in
  18. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 32 / -0
    He serves his purpose so far. I thought he did very well in the first leg against RM.
  19. Poorerospur Active Member

Poorerospur
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    I also believe he has a much more calming influence on the dressing room. In terms of experience before big games but also the acceptance of sitting on the bench compared to a younger player such as Janssen.

Sent from mTalk
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Kane can undoubtedly play 60 games a season, but can he sustain a high level of performance every time, Im not sure he can.
    Giving him a break now and then will help the situation though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    There is no way our main players can play 60 games a season and compete at a high level. I dont even think they're fit enough without it having a negative affect going forward.

Harry Kane being the perfect example. Hes starting to pick up bad injuries. They arent knocks. They are ankle, knee and muscle injuries. Rose and Walker suffered last season. Wanyama now. We need Llorente but Llorente needs starts. We wont get much out of him for 15 minutes.
    Dave,
  22. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    winning the number of golden boots have proven he can cope just fine.

breaks are fine but playing 8/9 games on the bounce are no big deal for most of our players