Formation for United away

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by NI Yiddo, Aug 19, 2011.

1. NI Yiddo New Member

NI Yiddo
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    With Defoe being our most lively striker, can we afford to leave him out against United? And if he plays, surely we can't play 4-5-1 with the lack of height in the team. United have Vidic and Ferdinand missing so I think Crouch could upset their back-line, and with our midfield doubts maybe a 4-4-2 would suit us better. Question is, does Harry have the balls to drop Van der Vaart or Modric?

I think this balance would suit us best so that if one of these players is injured/under-performing, Niko/Rafa can always fill in and make the difference.

...........Crouch ....Defoe
    Bale ................................Lennon
    ...........Modric ...Hudd

Any thoughts on this suggestion or the actual team you think will line up?
  2. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,456 / 36 / -0
    Don't think there is any way VDV is left out of this one. I thought he and Defoe paired very well against Hearts. Would like to see that partnership retained for this match.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. perstrame Well-Known Member

perstrame
    Ratings:
    +567 / 0 / -0
    Gotta keep Defoe and VDV, two long range shooters against a shakey De Gea is great, plus they seem to be linking up well.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,803 / 21 / -0

this but put vdv up top
  5. mrtncooke Active Member

mrtncooke
    Ratings:
    +204 / 2 / -0
    Man U will probably start with Smalling an Evans at CH who are both decent in the air, what they wont have is a great understanding, so I think he will go with Defoe and VDV. I think this is a classic case of why Harry doesn't mind letting Luka go, as Diarra and Hudd would make us better when we don't have the ball, that might be quite a lot in this game and other away games.
  6. balooga999 Well-Known Member

balooga999
    Ratings:
    +474 / 14 / -0
    4-4-2 seems likely. Quick question, is Crouch going to be available for selection the United game (since he didn't make the squad against Hearts)? If he is, he starts up front with VdV. If not I can see Pav being swapped into the starting XI w/ Defoe coming off the bench. Really the type of game we are going to miss Sandro in though.

..........Crouch/Pav ....VdV
    ...........Modric ...Hudd
  7. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,456 / 36 / -0
    I think benching Defoe would be madness. He played better yesterday than he did all of last season. He is the type of player that, when he is on a roll, is too good to withdraw. A string of good performances to start the season and we could well be witnessing the JD of two seasons ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. boo Staff Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +5,947 / 15 / -0
    gomes

corluka dawson gallas/king ekotto

lennon huddlestone modric/palacios bale

van der vaart

defoe
    boo,
  9. NI Yiddo New Member

NI Yiddo
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Interesting points on Smalling and Evans... I know VdV and Defoe link up well, but my concern is trying to pass through Manchester United and accepting we will not win any aerial battles in their half. If Defoe and VdV manage to find space and hold the ball up as well as they did against Hearts then we'll have no problem, but in reality I think many of our passes will go astray, Jermain will give the ball away too often and like you say we'll need to be able to cope better without having the ball.

On the other hand I think Luka and Hudd are our best midfield partnership when playing 4-4-2 and with two wingers and Defoe is our best natural striker with VdV scoring the most pre-season goals. I just feel the two wingers are wasted when they have no target man to cross it to. Essentially, it'd be perfect if we could start the game with Defoe on stilts.
  10. Ringer7 Active Member

Ringer7
    Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0
    --------------------Friedel--------------------
    Corluka-----Dawson------Gallas/Kaboul-----BAE
    Lennon---Huddlestone---Modric/Kranjcar---Bale
    -----------------Van der Vaart----------------
    --------------------Defoe---------------------

Would prefer Gallas and Modric but if either is still injured then I suppose we have to go with Kaboul and/or Kranjcar (although both played well against Hearts, so it's not a terrible predicament). I don't think height will be a problem up front if VDV and Defoe keep linking up the way they did last night, especially with Vidic out. In fact, I think you gotta keep playing Defoe to try and give him consistency to build on. If we bring in Adebayor by Monday then I think he starts on the bench and debuts in the second half, coming on for Defoe of course.
  11. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    ........................................NO

VDV and Defoe were brilliant together.
    I know United will have a relatively soft defence on Monday if Ferdinand doesn't feature,
    but VDV and Defoe in front were unstoppable against Hearts.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
  12. SpursBoy96Jay New Member

SpursBoy96Jay
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Judging from the Hearts match (I know they kinda suck compare to United) But Defoe and VDV linked up really well, Hudd looked good coming off the bench and Lennon and Bale we're getting involved nicely.
    Maybe start this:-
    Gomes
    Walker Dawson Kaboul Ekotto
    Lennon Huddlestone Modric Bale
    Vaart Defoe

Their back line will be not as strong as usual, and De Gea looks shaky. I can see us turning them over if we turn up.
  13. 'Nixspur Well-Known Member

'Nixspur
    Ratings:
    +1,215 / 0 / -0
    No way do I see us playing 442 to United away.

Van der Vaart will start, and Defoe should start, so hopefully they can play together properly.

I am a bit wary about the lack of height there still, but going by the way they linked up last night, hopefully it won't matter too much.

Prediction:

---------------------Freidel
    Walker -------Dawson --------King --------Assou-Ekotto
    ----------------Huddlestone-----Modric----------------
    Lennon---------------------------------------Bale
    ---------------Van der Vaart--------------------------
    -------------------------Defoe------------------------

Or something along those lines.

Could possibly make this in to the match thread?
    ---------
  14. Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko Well-Known Member

Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko
    Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    If we need someone to shoot at distance we need

-Vdv
    -Hudd
    -Pav
  15. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,456 / 36 / -0
    .....Or Defoe......

The goals he did score last season (against Wolves)......magical.
  16. Yankee New Member

Yankee
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'd go with that except switch King for Kaboul. And maybe Gomes for Freidel...I just think our best option at keeper is to start out the season with Gomes. If he can find his form and confidence we stick with him...if not then we bring Freidel in.
  17. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,456 / 36 / -0
    that's a pretty good point actually. I just hate dropping points due to his errors. Even one unnecessary goal conceded due to his errors is one too many. I get what you're saying but given the way he looked against Hearts he could have some serious problems come Monday.
  18. Yankee New Member

Yankee
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Even at his best he looks in trouble. Remember how good he was 2 years ago? His physical attributes are great. His shot stopping and reflexes are insane. How good is Freidel anyway? I love him but he is getting up there in age and didn't look as sharp last year as he has in the past.
  19. GTGio Well-Known Member

GTGio
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, i love gomes as a person but boy he will be under pressure on monday night! Freidal should start for me. Has there actually been any recent news on the KING? It would be a huge boost if he played. Apart from that the only other change that could possibly be made it Corluka at rb for his defensive qualities although its a very very tough call there as they are complete opposites.
  20. Yankee New Member

Yankee
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I just read on BBC that King is ruled out.
  21. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    I go 4-4-1-1 with this lineup:
    Gomes
    Corluka, Daws, King/Kaboul, BAE
    Lennon, Huddlestone/Palacios, Modric, Bale
    VDV
    Defoe

A few reasons to go 4-4-1-1: Possession will be an issue in this match and if we play a flat 4-4-2, I think United will own it. Their wing player will keep our fullbacks on their heels (hence Corluka over Walker to start) and Rooney can drop deep to link up play with Berbatov or Walbeck up top. Add on the rapidly-improving Cleverley in the middle and it's a tough matchup for us. But by playing 4-4-1-1, we can have a kind of artificial three man midfield when we lack possession. That will be important, I think. We can't afford to give them 56 or 57% possession, I don't think.

Also, I'll take Gomes over Friedel for this match. I think Friedel is more reliable on set pieces, but he's not the shot stopper that Gomes is. And with, most likely, Nani, Young, Rooney, and Walbeck attacking, we'll want a top notch shot stopper. Plus with the absence of Vidic, United is not as much of a threat on set pieces as they typically are, meaning one of Gomes' big weaknesses becomes a little less prominent.

Third, another argument for 4-4-1-1, the way we'll break down United is not by playing hoofball to Crouch. Even with Evans and Smalling starting, I think Crouch would have a hard time in the air. You have to figure he'd get called for lots of fouls, esp. with the match being at OT. Plus even when he wins the ball, he doesn't always do anything useful with it. Further, if we're playing hoofball, we're giving up possession a lot, which I don't think we want to do in this match. With our injuries, lack of depth (for the moment) and lack of fitness, we need to do everything we can to keep fatigue levels down and maintaining possession, if you do it right, could be a way of doing that.

Fourth, I think the way we will break United down is a) excellent movement and b) taking lots of shots. Evans and Smalling aren't as experience playing together as Rio and Vidic, so if JD's movement is as good as it was against Hearts, that'll give them trouble. And if it's Luka and Huddlestone pinging passes around instead of Livermore and Niko, I think we'll be even deadlier. (Nothing against Livermore and Niko, of course, they're fine players. But Luka and Tom are better.)

Fifth, by playing a style that emphasizes movement over the long ball, it allows us to attack United where they're most vulnerable: down the middle. If we play Crouch or Pav, all of our attack is going to go through our wide players, which against United won't go well for us. Our fullbacks won't be able to get forward as much b/c of United's wings and of United's back four, their fullbacks are the stronger part (at least of the players we'll be facing). So we're playing into United's hands by playing a wing-heavy, crossing, long-ball style. (And I seem to remember Bale getting dominated by one of the da Silvas last year too...) But if we play down the middle, the matchups are much better: Cleverley/Fletcher v Huddlestone/Luka. That's us all day. Even if Sarge starts instead of Hudd, I still like us in that match-up. And Rafa/JD v Evans/Smalling also goes to us.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mattspurz New Member

mattspurz
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    id say vs manu, we need to be ready to get attacked all game, but we also need to have an attacking team to challenge them. Im going for this

------gomes------
    walker-dawson-gallas-BAE
    lennon-thudd-modric-bale
    -------VDV-------
    ---defoe/pav/crouch ( in that order if we were to choose)
  23. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    Absolutely not. I would love for him to at times, but he doesn't have it in him. I think dropping Modric would be a bad idea.

This is the kind of game I wish Sandro was playing in :y8:. I fancy the 4-5-1 VDV/Crouch pairing in this one because it's good defensively us having 1 striker and one that is excellent on defending corners as well, and great to cross to during counters.

-------------------Freidel-----------------
    ---Corluka----Daws-----Gallas/King-----BAE
    ------------ -Thudd---Modric--------------
    Bale---------------------------------Lennon
    -------------------VDV--------------------
    --------------------Crouch----------------

Any injuries on Gallas or King?
  24. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    I'm rethinking Corluka over Walker. Young is quick and agile, so Charlie might have a lot of problems like he did with Nasri last scum at home game for us. Maybe Walker would be better since he's just as pacey as Young, and knows him a bit too from his loan spell?
  25. BrumSpur Well-Known Member

BrumSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,742 / 3 / -0
    Errr.... you want a player who can shoot from distance? I think I know of one!!! :302:

[video=youtube_share;QJZnQjrGg94]http://youtu.be/QJZnQjrGg94[/video]
    • Like Like x 1
  26. CincySpur Active Member

CincySpur
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    The Mirror (yea i know, the mirror..) is reporting that Luka is axed from the lineup and insinuates that he may not even make the trip. They are quoting 'Arry as saying that it isnt the injury but his 'mental state.'

Any thoughts?
  27. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,456 / 36 / -0
    Sun and Mail are reporting it as well. Looks like we can forget about seeing him at OT.
  28. NI Yiddo New Member

NI Yiddo
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    So with no Modric...

.........Crouch ....Defoe
    Bale ...........................Lennon
    ...........VdV ...Hudd

or

................Defoe
    .........................VdV
    ...........Kranjcar ...Hudd

?
  29. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,456 / 36 / -0
    ------------Defoe------------
    ------------VDV-------------
    --Bale----------------Lennon--
    -------Niko-------Hudd--------
  30. Ringer7 Active Member

Ringer7
    Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0
    Yeah play Niko in Luka's spot. He's easily up to the task. Also I've rethought starting Corluka as well - should be Walker.