Gio again

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by Javi, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Well I was just watching a radio show in Spanish were they showed an interview with Gio.

He sounded a bit displeased and confused he said that talks of his transfer had been going on for months and when he was at the brink of signing they stopped everything. So I really don't know what to make of it [MENTION=5232]BlueCrew LA[/MENTION] you mentioned the bid was to low but tbh I don't know what to believe. Regardless he is grateful for the chance and will play apart from the confusion and being displeased he sounded enthusiastic.

BUT really think Redknapp will probably have a problem with the interview and likely not play him now knowing him. So what do you guys make of it?
    Javi,
  2. Geeman1973 Active Member

Geeman1973
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The Dos Santos Mystery

So please explain this head scratching mystery.

Here's a player with raw talent. He starts a few games a couple of seasons ago. Gets injured. Harry doesn't like his attitude and late late nights. Gets farmed out to reserves and short term loan.

World Cup and what do you know - he turns out to be one of the players of the tournament. Lucky if he gets a start in the carling cup out on loan again. Transfer window just gone - lots of talk of him being sold for £9m. Never happens.

So now what? Why can't Harry work his supposedly amazing man management skills? This guy from what I've seen has the potential to be world class.

Also he plays the right wing/channel and would be a better choice than Lennon.

So why on earth is he not utilised? I'm seriously miffed.
  3. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,089 / 21 / -0
    I've always liked him, he could really make it hard for Lennon if he plays, I hope he gets a few games!
  4. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 42 / -0
    Maybe he now will.
  5. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,089 / 21 / -0
    Maybe because we never got another back-up for Lennon.
    Hopefully he is part of this seasons team!
  6. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    the reason is that harry has given him chance after chance but his head hasnt been in the right place, lennons playing better and when he's played for spurs he has been complete sh*te
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 42 / -0
    :hopeless optimist alert:

Let's not forget that Bale almost went to Notts Forest on loan at one point. You never know, maybe Gio will up his game. :302:
  8. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    Part of the issue is that I think GDS is one of those Central/South American flair players whose game is best suited to Spain rather than England. Part of it is that Harry isn't a very forgiving manager once you're in his dog house. Part of it is that GDS really has been out of control with the partying and drinking, from what I've heard. Add it all up and you get basically what we have today.

That said, if ever he had a chance to really come good at Spurs and show his quality, this is it. He, Pienaar, and Rafa are our only cover on the right. Pienaar is injury prone and if Rafa shifts right, then we need someone to cover for him in the hole. Niko can play that role but didn't look dynamic there against Bilbao. So GDS deserves a look, imo. He's shown flashes at Spurs. I remember an interchange between him and Bale against Villareal last year that was lovely. There's def. potential for him to thrive in that SS/CAM role or as cover on the right. The two people it's on are Harry and GDS. If GDS gets his head right and Harry forgets old disputes and gives him a chance (with our fitness record, he may not have much choice...) he may yet come good for us.
  9. Prem4eva New Member

Prem4eva
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I honestly feel it is his own fault, he hasn't spent the last few years working his arse off just to not get a look in, he has been poncing around partying in Barcelona and other things that haven't come out in the media.

A few years ago, we had to call his parents over to try to get through to him, when have you ever heard that kind of thing happening to a professional footballer who has played for Barcelona and Spurs?

I was delighted when we signed him but he simply hasn't done himself justice, hopefully he sees that there is possibly a place for him to challenge now and he buckles down because as he shown for Mexico, he has a lot of talent.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. XRated Well-Known Member

XRated
    Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I really hope we get to see a bit more of him now that he's staying here.
  11. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,284 / 5 / -0
    He couldn't get in front of Bentley and Bentley was borderline retarded.

Gio needs to take the bull by the horns, earn his spot in the first team, and play so well that Harry can't do anything but play him. Lennon has been crap recently so he has the perfect opportunity to step up.
  12. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    It might have something to do with him being a piss artist! :tongue:
  13. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,650 / 13 / -0
    OK lets see if I can throw some light onto it .

After each Saturday game he would fly to Barcelona to party ( get out of his head ) with his best mate Ronaldhino . Instead of coming back on Sunday night he would come back on Monday morning and either be late or completely miss training . This used to upset not only 'Arry but also his team-mates . This would continue for months at a time .

One day last year early (3.00am) Monday morning he was stopped by the Police doing over 100mph (160KPH) on the Holloway Road ( limit 30 mph ) , he was completely drunk and with 2 hookers and heading in the opposite direction to his home . Carlos Vela was called by him to get him out , this meant that Vela was late for training too at Arsenal .

His constant drinking and non adherence to club rules has exasperated everyone at the club who feel that he is out of control and a bad influence on others .

Clear ?
    • Like Like x 8
  14. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,193 / 8 / -0
    Generous.

Harry's not the only one who has gotten frustrated with him in the past to be fair. Didn't Rijkaard lose it with him at Galatasaray?
  15. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    :y2:

He lives the life I'd aspire to.....but I wouldn't expect to be a first choice in a Premier League side!!!!

How does he pull it all together for his international appearances for Mexico?????????????
  16. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    What there's no mystery to is Gio's talent and ability- the guy is a very quick, tricky player. If he matures, I've always maintained that we have one of the best winger-strikers in the world and he will start to show it. But it's up to him- maybe we aren't the club for him but if he works hard and matures, he should get games. And it's up to him to also take his opportunities. If he does, I think he may be a star for us.
  17. alexspepa Active Member

alexspepa
    Ratings:
    +166 / 1 / -0
    because most of his international games have been against the USMNT? maybe...?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    He didn't even play in the 2nd leg against Hearts, so it is tough to believe that Harry has any plans for using him.
  19. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    Hey now... take it easy. I would say the more accurate reason is that he has 0 responsibility when playing for Mexico. He has the freedom to just go about the pitch as he sees fit with little defensive responsibilities.
  20. jamiendg Well-Known Member

jamiendg
    Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -0
    Is that the same usmnt that england barley tied in the world cup. :y2:
    • Like Like x 1
  21. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,276 / 33 / -0
    I just hope we kept him with at least some reasoning as to why. TBH I wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance. Whether that will happen or not is another question completely. But given that we held onto him, I hope that is the case.
  22. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    He's played 0 games in preseason and none since the season started, dont see where he's suddenly going to be involved. We probably will accept a decent bid for him in January.
  23. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,276 / 33 / -0
    Don't you think it's a bit weird that he stuck around despite there being concrete interest from other sides? The bids being reported easily exceeded what we paid for him and, thus, would, one might think, be acceptable to Levy. TBH I think it might have something to do with our inability to bring in a RW/F type of player to provide a bit extra on the right side. It is probably true that his involvement will be little to none, but don't you think some signs exist to suggest otherwise?
    • Like Like x 1
  24. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    How about Harry's patience being run out by him? I reckon thats been the case. Harry has made it clear that he would get chances if he improved himself and he hasnt so to me that says that he hasnt really changed, and it doesnt look like he'll be involved as much as most of you want to be. You can only tell a player so many times what you want out of him before you're fooked off and look for other options.

His best position is upfront in a 4 3 3, we dont play that way unfortunately so its hard to see him being able to do well on either wing. Lennon, for as poor as he's been at times this season is still a better player than this waster.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,784 / 21 / -0

does seem strange when wigan reportedly offered 4m. maybe levy told harry to forget about the past a play him who knows. confused.....
  26. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Levy knows he can get good money for Gio because in a different league he'll most likely be used and played to his strengths so Levy most likely wanted too much money for him.

I always get that sense that Levy, when selling younger players wanted too much money. Obviously Adel left for under a million but his sell on clause is so high, dont know that many clubs that would have accepted that sort of deal.

It seems to be the case that the money offered wasnt good enough to accept.
  27. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,276 / 33 / -0
    I understand that. However, Levy was willing to sell players for pretty significant losses this window (Hutton for 4, orginally 8; Wilson for 8, originally 12). Additionally, those were players that were significantly more involved in the side than Gio. Yet, he is unwilling to take less than a 1 million loss on Gio (4 mil from Wigan, 4.75 originally). That money could easily have been made up for with some sort of sell-on clause.

The only explanation I can see is that Gio will actually be given a shot to show what he can do (again....i know....).
    • Like Like x 1
  28. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Or, that he didnt want to move to Wigan and wanted his move back to Spain. Unfortunately for him and the club the bids just didnt meet our valuation of him.

If, IF he actually changed his ways and is being given a chance then he best take it b/c it'll probably be his last.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,276 / 33 / -0
    Very possible as well. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to go to Wigan. Though they do have a Spanish manager, perhaps a bit of consolation? :D
  30. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Yeah, I mean I'm sure Martinez would have been good to him. It can only be so many reasons that he didnt move, maybe he'll get played, maybe he's happy being here and waiting on a move to Spain come January, etc.