Gomes got a game for Brazil!

Discussion in 'International' started by basskadet, Jun 3, 2010.

1. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    Gomes managed to play most of Brazil's friendly against Zimbabwe and, unsurprisingly, kept a clean sheet! Brazil won 3-0 with goals from Elano, Robinho & Bastos, with Gomes called into action only a couple times.

Gomes played because of a back injury to Brazil's 1st choice keeper Julio Cesar, but the physio's claim it was not serious & he will be OK for the tournament. One thing is pretty clear from this tho, Big G has now overtaken Doni, quite rightly, & is now firmly Brazil's number 2.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,456 / 36 / -0
    Yep. Well done by Gomes. Glad to see he had some chances to make some stops as well.
  3. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,550 / 3 / -0
    Just seen some highlights on the tv, made one well covered diving save...the first goal was an absolute screamer. Well done Gomes, hope he features for them in a couple games since Cesar might be injured.
  4. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    You are doing all right if he is your backup!
  5. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,230 / 8 / -0
    Good to hear it.

On the other hand, I saw the highlights of the Portugal-Cameroon game and BAE looked pretty poor.
  6. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0

Thats 'cause they don't pay him. :302:
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Tottenham-ManU New Member

Tottenham-ManU
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Well Done gomes i hope 2 c him as number 1 !!
  8. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 0 / -0
    Bass - do you reckon he could one day be Brazil's number 1?
  9. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Glad to hear Gomez got a game in its time to show the world that Spurs are all over!
    Javi,
    • Like Like x 1
  10. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,550 / 3 / -0
    Considering that Julio Cesar and Gomes are so close in age I dont know if he could surpass him for the #1 both are brilliant GK's but he could over take him if this "injury" is a bad, but they arent suggesting that. However with a bit of good luck Gomes could become the #1. He definitely has the quality to be a #1 GK for any country.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. luminoir Well-Known Member

luminoir
    Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    Cesarean is quality though would be very hard to unseat him. But gomes is a yid and well worthy of the chance
  12. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,550 / 3 / -0
    I agree Lumin...in some cases thats how the international game goes, someone gets injured and that back up gets a chance...by all means Gomes is no back up but is definitely class
  13. CorLuka Modric New Member

CorLuka Modric
    Ratings:
    +351 / 0 / -0
    One of the best things i've read over my time on this forum, well done sir ;)

But fook me if you, 2 of the best goalkeepers in the world, Brazil ain't struggling in that department are they. Unlucky for Gomes that Cesar got in before him and established himself, aside from Brazil i can only think of the Spain team where Gomes wouldn't be the first choice keeper
    • Like Like x 1
  14. contrast Welcome back Contrast!

contrast
    Ratings:
    +2,797 / 6 / -0
    Unfortunatley for Gomes, a clean sheet in a Brazil team against Zimbabwe will not raise any eye brows. I could of played in goal and would have been expected to keep a clean sheet!
  15. rudi New Member

rudi
    Ratings:
    +1,961 / 0 / -0
    Not while Cesar's on two feet. Coco's just unlucky Brazil are currently blessed with three gold-standard 'keepers at the mo, and, as usual with goalkeepers, it's somewhat a case of dead-men's shoes.

I'm old enough to remember when "Brazilian Goalkeeper" was basically a punchline to a joke.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    rudi,
  16. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,230 / 8 / -0
    yeah I watched a little of the game on ESPN3, he wasn't exactly under siege from what I saw.

Like Bass said, tho, the really significant thing is that he's moved up to 2nd on their team sheet and from there, who knows what can happen?
  17. 424style New Member

424style
    Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Glad for Gomes, ive hoped hed get recognition from Dunga for his fantastic season at WHL. His first season here I thought he was a clown, but this last season hes been immense. He kept us in the games singlehandedly against Arsenal and Chelsea at the end of the season (ok, the goalscorers won us these games but with a normal goalie wed have lost no doubt). Hope this is not Gomes only cap for a while but the start of a great career in the national team and here at Spurs.
  18. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    Well, you say that, but Zimbabwe should've scored when Cesar was still in goal. Whilst keeping a clean sheet against them is perhaps nothing to shout about, in the same way if he had conceded it would not have looked good at all. At least he showed Dunga that he can be relied on playing for his country.

Dunga is big on loyalty. Doni held that number 2 shirt for ages even tho he was barely playing for his club, so it is quite significant that G has moved up to behind Cesar.

Will he ever be number 1? He does have plenty of time & as great as Cesar is, he also has plenty of time in which to lose form. It doesn't take much for a goalkeeper to go from hero to zero & it is very difficult to reverse that effect - just ask Paul Robinson or Scott Carson. Big G has shown he has the character to turn it around & I think that, having had his slip, he'll be right at the top for a while now, pushing Cesar all the way.

I think Gomes will get a shot at the number 1 jersey. His save was good against Zimbabwe & it will have given him confidence & he did well just before that to push the Zimbabwean striker out wide & give him a tight angle.

Brazil are claiming that Cesar's injury is not serious, but they've since gone very quiet over it. Their last warm up game is against Tanzania this Sunday & Cesar will not play. That suggests to me that it is worse than they made out & if G is playing the warm-ups, there's a good chance he will start against Korea, in Brazil opening (& probably easiest) group game
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Cor-Luka New Member

Cor-Luka
    Ratings:
    +496 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  20. willk9 New Member

willk9
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    i dont see why gomes isnt there no1. even before he came to us from psv he was a quality kepper since his move he dipped a bit in form but now its back up to 100%
  21. Luke0405 New Member

Luke0405
    Ratings:
    +543 / 0 / -0
    Though that is true, Cesar is also a very very good keeper.