Harry Winks

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by boo, Jan 12, 2015.

1. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
    [TABLE="class: brtb_item_table, width: 630px"][TBODY][TR][TD][​IMG]

Born on the 2nd of February, 1996 in Hemel Hempstead, England

Height: 5' 10" (187 cm)

Weight: 143 lbs (65 kg)

Transfer Fee:- Academy Graduate

Contract:- On the 26th of July, 2014, he signed his first professional contract.[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
    boo,
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
    Tottenham’s England Under-19 international Harry Winks discusses his path into Spurs’ academy, his first-team debut against Partizan Belgrade and who he models his game on.

Last December Nabil Bentaleb made his breakthrough into the first team and, since then, Harry Kane and Ryan Mason have become regular and increasingly important players.

All three started against Everton on Sunday and were deservedly praised for their contributions in Spurs’ 2-1 home win.

Milos Veljkovic, 19, made his first senior appearances at the end of last season, coming off the bench twice, and 21-year-old Alex Pritchard followed suit at the end of the final game of the season.

On Thursday it was Harry Winks’ turn to make his bow at White Hart Lane, replacing Paulinho in the 87th minute as Spurs secured a 1-0 home win over Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League.

“It was just the best moment of my life - an unbelievable moment, a dream come true,” said the 18-year-old. “Being a Spurs fan as well, to go out there and play any minutes is unbelievable. I’ve been at the club since I was about six years old so I’ve been here for a long time.

“I came through a local soccer camp out near Watford. It was one of those where you pay to do it during half-term.

“One of the coaches was a member of the Tottenham development squad – he was a coach there and he sent me up to the development squad at the age of six or seven.

“From there I progressed into the academy and I’ve just been there ever since. I’ve come all the way through.”

Winks seemed to be on the verge of his first-team debut last season, being named on the bench on three occasions under Tim Sherwood, who was keen to highlight the talent in the club’s academy.

The England Under-19 international midfielder ultimately had to wait for his big moment but reflects: “It was brilliant, another great experience.

“Obviously you get a little bit disappointed that you don’t come on but just the experience of travelling and actually being in the squad, that’s unbelievable.

“Being on the bench at Anfield was surreal. When you walk out and the crowd is singing You’ll Never Walk Alone, it gives you goosebumps on your arms. It was a brilliant moment.

“I’ve just had to keep working hard regardless of who the manager was. Even under AVB [Andre Villas-Boas] I just made sure I worked hard. Luckily I got my opportunity under Tim and this time I’ve been given a chance as well. I don’t think it’s a matter of who’s in charge, it’s just a matter of working hard yourself.

“I’ve got to keep impressing the manager. Of course it was a great experience [to get my debut] but my main aim now is to forget about it, move on and try to get myself into the squad more often now by working hard and training well.

“I need to focus on playing here first but, internationally, that’s a big priority for me as well and hopefully one day maybe I’ll be making my senior appearance for England. That would be fantastic as well.”

Tottenham’s academy has produced a crop of talented, homegrown midfielders who have grown up with Spain and Barcelona as the dominant forces in Europe and are aware of the importance of possession and quick passing.

In addition to Bentaleb and Mason, Under-21 international Tom Carroll named pass masters Paul Scholes, Luka Modric, Andres Iniesta and Xavi as his favourite players and is currently on loan at Swansea.

Winks sees himself in a similar role, but he is also keen to contribute in the final third and provide a cutting edge.

“I like to model my game on players like Xavi, who like the keep the ball with a high volume of passes and pass completion,” he said. “Goals and assists are obviously a key part for a midfielder, but if I had to describe myself I’m just generally a tidy, technical midfielder that likes to keep the ball and create chances.

“Zinedine Zidane is the ultimate one that you model your game on because he was just an unbelievable midfielder, but there are loads of players - Steven Gerrard, even Paul Gascoigne. I wasn’t old enough to see him but from clips I’ve seen he was an fantastic player.”

“I was there last year so I’ve been there to watch the Under-18s and hopefully they’ll do well,” he said.

“I think the ultimate aim of the academy is to progress players into the first team, but obviously as players we want to win every game and win trophies, tournaments and cups as well. Either way it’s a win-win situation.”
    boo,
    • Like Like x 1
  3. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
    Sky Sports 'scout' report.

Tottenham have seen a host of young prospects propelled into the first-team squad this season. One of those is Harry Winks, who many think could be the next big breakthrough at White Hart Lane.

The youngster who hails from Hemel Hempstead has been linked with Spurs since before he was a teenager, first linking up with them when he was 11.

Winks has progressed well through the ranks and was playing for the Spurs Under-18 side as he turned 16.

England were also quick to recognise his progress and he has been a key member of the national set-up and has shone in recent months for the Under-18s.

Andre Villas-Boas was the first Spurs coach promote to Winks to the first-team squad as he first started training with them last summer despite the fact he was only just entering into contention for the Under-21 side.

AVB did not use Winks, but his former youth boss Tim Sherwood was quick to call on him soon after his appointment and he was one of a handful of youngsters promoted to the bench for their Europa League clash with Benfica.

Winks did not make his debut against Benfica, but it is anticipated that he will soon be pushing for a first-team role and that was highlighted by the fact he also made the bench for the Premier League games with Liverpool and West Brom.

Winks is a deep-lying midfielder - who loves to play football, which has made him a firm favourite with Spurs' coaching staff.

Comfortable on the ball - his main weapon is his vision and his ability to pick a pass. He has a good engine and gets up and down the field well, but he likes to keep his shape and is not often dragged out of position.

It is not surprising Winks is knocking on the first-team door at Spurs, given the sense of maturity he brings to his game.

The scout says...

A terrific prospect, both for England and Tottenham, and one - who if nurtured correctly could have a huge career at Tottenham and beyond.

The Scout rating...

Shooting: 6 out of 10
    Passing: 7 out of 10
    Tackling: 6 out of 10
    Heading: 5 out of 10
    Pace: 6 out of 10
    Vision: 7 out of 10
    Current ability: 6 out of 10
    Potential ability: 9 out of 10
    OVERALL SCOUT RATING: 53/80
    Current value: £1million
    Potential value: £20million
    boo,
    • Like Like x 1
  4. koppel Well-Known Member

koppel
    Ratings:
    +6,161 / 46 / -0
    I can't wait to see him and Onomah get more minutes. It was a real shame that this season, under a manager willing to give youngsters a chance unlike AVB, we didn't get an Europa League group similar to that of last year.

Under those circumstances we could've finished the job in 3-4 games and given minutes to the likes of Winks, Onomah and Oduwa who are knocking on the door.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,985 / 28 / -0
    Would like to go the usual route we've done with most of the young players and see what they do out on loan.

Winks is no doubt another promising player and some good first team football playing every week would be good for his and several others development.

However, at this point in their careers being relatively young staying at the club and training with the first team for the rest of this season will be beneficial as well given Poch's background with young players.

The likes of Winks, Onomah, and Oduwa are still so young its really had to imagine them making an impact at this stage in their careers.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    Bump... quite decent coming on against the Malaysian XI..hope he gets a few starts in the place of Lamela
  7. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    Good that winks and ward,CCV all look comfortable albeit in a friendly in the 1st team.Guess the camaraderie within the group will ease new kids into the side with kane,mason,nabil,rose,andros all there abouts to help make the transition.Nabil showing good signs of future captaincy urging Winks on noticably.
    He certainly has some talent,enjoyed his contribution even with some missplaced passes.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Winks addition is good news. I think many were expecting Pritchard to make the jump to the big squad next season, with the possibility of Carroll, Veljkovic, Onomah and some others as well.

But Winks could be closer than many thought.

Even if we have two academy players make the jump next season that would be huge.
    I definitely think we will be able to rely on academy players for depth, which should really free up some money to target a few higher end difference makers.

Really hope that's how Levy spends the money.

I seriously doubt Winks will push Lamela for a starting spot, but if he can come on as a quality backup, we are in good shape. All though, I thought Winks was primarily a CM and not a WM or Winger.

Having Bentaleb, Mason and Dembele with Alli definitely coming into the team, Carroll and Pritchard possibly making the team, we are going to have a very young and talented Midfield squad. I don't know how much room there will be for Winks, but I would think it would be a stretch to have all 3 on the roster entering next season.

All though, I would be perfectly happy selling Capoue, Stambouli and Paulinho and just relying on Bentaleb, Mason, Dembele, Alli and whichever of our academy players have the best summer showing.

I expect Stambouli to stick around though. But Capoue and Paulinho need to be sold asap to make room for these youngsters. And as much as I like Dembele, I wouldn't be surprised if he were sold as well.

IMO, we would be better served giving these young players time rather than having them sit behind our current mediocre veterans. All though if we end up keeping 2 of Capoue, Paulinho, Stambouli, Dembele, I think we should definitely loan out the majority of our young CMs. Perhaps bringing Alli and one of our academy mids would be enough.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. RaleighSpur Well-Known Member

RaleighSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,300 / 37 / -0
    This cannot be serious.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 78 / -0
    Pochetinno likes to play a cm as a winger or WM ... He played jack cork , steven davies there before .. So i will not be surprised if winks featured in the RW role
  11. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
  12. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    I think he's got a higher ceiling than Onomah, despite probably being a tad behind him at the moment, even though he's older.

I think he's going to be the player we hoped Tom Carroll could become.

I can see why he doesn't start of Eng U19's as he isn't the most physical and is still sloppy at times, but he has the technique and vision that if given time, will allow him to blossom into a better player than many who are ahead of him around his age.

13. StripiestPilot Well-Known Member

StripiestPilot
    Ratings:
    +5,073 / 77 / -0
  14. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +11,818 / 53 / -1
    He'll learn what a fcukin tackle is that's for sure.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    So many nice looking prospects in the system. Especially in midfield. Going to be tough competition. I think the odds of at least a couple of them working out and becoming regular first team players eventually are fairly good in a relative sense.

Can't say I am rooting for anyone specifically. The only player I am almost certain will be a star is Alli.
  16. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 20 / -0
    We know!!!:whistle:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,777 / 72 / -0
    Winks to Rangers has to be a bad joke. I mean, the Scottish Championship??? We'd be much better off finding an English Championship or League One team for him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. deejbah Well-Known Member

deejbah
    Ratings:
    +2,302 / 1 / -0
    We'd be better off sending him to the MLS or the A League than there.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    I watched him in KL.. looks a good prospect (except that he'd really need to step it up like a few notches to challenge our current starters for that spot in the first team starting XI)
  20. boo Well-Known Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +7,475 / 47 / -0
    Tottenham starlet Harry Winks is set to sign a new deal at White Hart Lane, sources have told ESPN FC.

Winks, 19, is highly regarded at the club, and is seen as the next youth product to break into the first team.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is thought to be a big fan of the midfielder, who was handed his debut as a substitute against Partizan in the Europa League last year.
    boo,
  21. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,777 / 72 / -0
  23. Hazza Well-Known Member

Hazza
    Ratings:
    +1,392 / 20 / -0
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this kid develops.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    will be the club i imagine,thats normal practise.
  25. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 78 / -0
  26. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 78 / -0
    So we are announcing youngsters renewing their contracts with the manager all suited and booted, at least not for guys who haven't really broken into the squad such as winks. It's such a nice gesture POCH ...
  27. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 78 / -0
  28. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,409 / 49 / -0
    Good looking kid. He'll add to the female fan base for sure.
  29. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,131 / 35 / -0
    143 lbs? Hopefully he uses the cash from this contract to buy some food. Kid needs to get all Jersey Shore a bit.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. ShaneOMac Well-Known Member

ShaneOMac
    Ratings:
    +474 / 23 / -0
    Only saw a couple of games with him in it and he looked decent. Could someone tell me more - he seemed similar to Carroll from what I saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk