I Hate This ****ing International Break

Discussion in 'International' started by iwantpie, Sep 2, 2011.

1. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    I mean really, we get three bleedin' months with no football. The media get everyone worked up about the start of a new season. Transfer deadline day comes with all that brings and then... not a ****ing whisper for two weeks for increasingly less interesting international qualifiers.

I can cope with the other international breaks, it's this one, three weeks into a new season, that gets my goat. ****ing FIFA.

Anyway, that is all.
  2. dan-spur Well-Known Member

dan-spur
    Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    Why don't you just go bowling? Or use the spare time to catch up on any Dallas episodes you might have missed? Or maybe you could go to the supermarket and buy a load of bananas and sit in the town center and eat them all and get yourself a mention in the Guinness Book of records for eating the most number bananas in Yorkshire? Or perhaps you could read Sepp Blatter's auto-biography, or send an e-mail to Neil Armstrong as a belated congratulations for landing on the moon. Or you could design a sensible means of implementing a salary cap in English football and present it to the F.A. Or maybe you could go to the zoo and feed an Owl.

Or you could just watch the International footy over the coming days!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    I would but I did all that during the summer! Including the 'watch the international footy' bit (if you count the U-21 Euros).

Maybe I'll go and take part in non-league day and watch Sheffield FC tomorrow.
  4. dan-spur Well-Known Member

dan-spur
    Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I read about that in the paper today, sounds good. Long ball, windy days, defenders hoofing it out. Just how football was meant to be!!
  5. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    Ahhh, reminds me of the good old days. Like any time we played with Crouch up front last season.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DorsetSpursFan Not a xylophone

DorsetSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +9,284 / 107 / -3
    Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, it gives our wounded players a bit more recovery time. BUT, as we have SO many players on international duties, they'll probably all get injured ..... Oh no..... I'm turning into ......... a negative whining fecker........... quick take a swig of the antidote..........(glug, glug, glug - mmmmmm home made grog , so no tax for the MPs to nick) .......... ahhh that's better. The lads on International duties will return, uninjured with a new sense of pride and purpose! Yaaayyy - come on England, France, Wales, Croatia, Russia, Cameroon, Mexico and maybe Holland.
  7. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    Oh aye, I accept that, it's just that that doesn't help me and my disgruntlement at a lack of football I give two shits about to watch. I've been getting into my Bundesliga this season too (we should have signed Papis Demba Cisse from Freiburg BTW) and there's none of that either.

Pass the grog. :001_005:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  8. rudi New Member

rudi
    Ratings:
    +1,961 / 0 / -0
    Ooh I love the internationals. When I were a lad and the world was entirely beige, internationals were the only time I got to see outfield players with beards. It all seemed impossibly exotic to me.
    rudi,
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SAspursfan New Member

SAspursfan
    Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I must say, whilst i enjoy watching England play...................I also agree it is very early in the season for a break!
  10. ebarr New Member

ebarr
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    i can see your point but we are of to hampden tomorrow and tuesday it will be rockin 2 must win games for us,then a wee break and 4 spurs games in a row cant wait
  11. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    I love the international break because it's the only time ANY "soccer" games are televised in the U.S. (I could illegal stream some I guess but I already do it 38 times a year :() ... Anyways, second game of the Klinsmann era tonight!
  12. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Read a book? Internationals get on my nerves to especially since I have been hungry for Spurs football.
    Javi,
  13. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    Actually, with Tottenham's form and injuries to be honest I don't think it could possibly have come at a better time!
  14. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    I continue my one-man crusade against international breaks.

To summarise:

I ****ing hate them.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +2,293 / 16 / -0
    We just dont need these games, players like Parker & Walker need a rest.
  16. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    For sure they will both, if not parker definitely, play both of englands internationals which will mean 3 games in 9 days for them. Not exactly ideal but i guess its a bit easier that the villa game is on a monday instead of saturday. Roll on November 21!!
  17. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    I don't think either will play all of both of them to be honest. I would think Parker will play 70-90 against Spain and not more than 45 against Sweden if at all and Walker will probably play all of one. I'm not concerned about Walker's fatigue, I think that kid has a hell of an engine (though injury is still a worry) but the amount that Parker puts into every game, I am concerned with his involvement. I think we should play Sandro vs Villa and give Parker a rest.

I've decided the only way to get through this break is try like hell to care about Ireland qualifying for the Euro's. I can't help but feel that I'll be as bored watching both their games as a blind guy watching a silent movie. Trap doesn't exactly bring the effervescent football does he...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    I'd love to see Walker start a match for the NT. It would probably bring his confidence up, it's worth it. Parker on the other hand REALLY needs a rest... I smell an injury right around the corner for him :y10:. I mean for pete's sake he was out of breath around like the 39th minute TWO MATCHES AGO vs. qpr. He shouldn't have started the last one, Sandro would have done just fine, and we would have rested Parker.
  19. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    At least I will hear something else other than club America's bullshit problems lol.
    Javi,
  20. Yankee New Member

Yankee
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Quality analogy there.
  21. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    Well I'm split....

I'm American and we're a developing football nation so what are considered "meaningless" friendlies for some are good developmentally speaking for us. Klinsmann and our other coaches have a lot of work to do before WC qualifying and the Olympics. We're implementing a new system on every level and these matches give us a better idea of how we're progressing. Also the matches usually generate some good revenue which gets reinvested in further development of the game.

As a Spurs fan I worry about injuries so I can relate but I'm a big fan of international football US or not. The first matches I was exposed to were international, so it has sentimental appeal.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    I wrote a big long answer to your post [MENTION=5232]BlueCrew LA[/MENTION] that included a video of John Terry being kicked in the nuts but my browser ate it. To summarise: I totally understand why people like international football and I used to but haven't for 3-5 years because most of the England team are ****s.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. belondon Well-Known Member

belondon
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    i used to be a big fan of watch "England", loved the big internationals, but i think the combination of, England being full of Terry-esq cnuts, Tottenham not being mid table season in and season out (i.e. endless games with little on the line) and Spurs currently playing the best football of my life... means, I now think ... qualifying matches are tedious, and friendlies send me into a rage. The big summer tournaments are great, and dont interrupt the EPL.

COYS
  24. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I too love the summer tournaments and therefore accept the necessity of the qualifying for those tournaments. It's the damn friendlies.
  25. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    Couldn't give a fcuk about the Scotland game tbh. Meaningless friendly. Probably won't even watch it.

From a selfish point of view of course I'd rather the Premiership be on, however...

I think it might actually help Spurs.

Sort of weird logic, but our run has been so good that in a way we are sort of 'due' to lose a game. We have a run of games against some pretty average teams coming up before we play Chelsea in late December - and I think this break may help us start again, if that makes sense? It could give us new injuries but it could also reduce the chances of us falling into any trap of complacency which can come with winning so many games on the trot.

Hard to explain it :p
  26. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    I hate when that happens....
  27. iwantpie Well-Known Member

iwantpie
    Ratings:
    +651 / 0 / -0
    I get what you're saying [MENTION=5856]rossdfc[/MENTION] . Like the international break kind of resets our momentum gauge and we get to start fresh afterwards.

Yeah, I get it.

That doesn't mean I have to like it.

****ing international breaks.
  28. heathspur Active Member

heathspur
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully the national associations will see these friendlies are of little use and having been to most of Irelands ,most players just go through the motions in front of ever decreasing attendances so what financial benefit there is cannot be that good
  29. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,717 / 32 / -0
    I'm loving it tbh lol
    • Like Like x 1
  30. luminoir Well-Known Member

luminoir
    Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0