'I really wish we'd sell...' Thread

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by boo, Dec 6, 2014.

1. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Target men work well for crosses too, I just think a striker like Kane would have a field day playing off Lorente. In games like the WBA game where teams sit and defend we need this kind of change of tactic in our locker - I think anyway.. We need to mix things up and make the best of the qulaities in our squad. I just don't feel we've done enough with Lorente, which is starting to feel like a missed opportunity.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    This is all theory. In practice he got 29 minutes against WBA and did not contribute much. I fail to see logics in why we should use him more, if he does not prove his effectiveness in those substitute chances. Sure - we were in difficult position given we were behind and WBA is strong team on 2nd floor but still.

I do not believe he will be effective for us, but hope I am wrong and in the games where he can or have to start instead of Kane he will start banging in hat-tricks game after game.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    It is theory yes, but his goal return in the Prem last season isn't. I've noticed he's not your cup of tea, which is fine, I just don't think he's been given a proper chance in our team yet or had the service he would make the most of.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    What is a proper chance for 2nd choice striker?
    I'd say that the role requires you to take every small scrap of time and make it count.
    Up to now he has played 400 minutes and have not produced anything significant so I don't see reason just to "give" playing time when player does not seems to deserve it based on his recent performances. And Poch seems to agree with me - in only meaningful game (vs ManU in EPL) when we were without Kane he used Son instead of Llorente.
  5. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    He doesn't always have to fill the role of 2nd (or 3rd) choice for example. We could play with 2 up top. So for instance recently Pep Guardiola said he's come up with the way to play against park the bus teams which they've been faced with lately and that's to play 2 strikers with wingers. Makes sense, so why haven't we tried it given we've faced the same problem since the start of the season ? I have not seen us work this way of playing properly (or enough) yet, yet we've tried pretty much everything else. If you are going to cross it in from the wing, Llorente seems a good fit with Kane. Never mind we don't really have/ use 'old fashioned' wingers (GKN?), but we have people that could fill the role tactically I think.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Llorente knocks em down, Kane knocks em in. I think it works.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    Its the Soldado argument again..
    There is nothing wrong with the service.. if its good enough for Son and Kane to score, it should be good enough for Llorente..
    • Like Like x 1
  8. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    For a player like Llorente, yes it is....hes a completely different player to Son and Kane and if you cant see that then thats worrisome that you want to have an input about it.
  9. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    in that post EST mention around 400 minutes, that#'s about 4 and a bit games. Spread about in short sub appearances or whatever. If you really beleive that's enough to judge and call up the "soldado argument" then what am I supposed to say to that eh ?

Tell you what, I'll wait to the end of the season to judge his season and his contribution. It's his first season and didn't have a pre season with us, all strikers go through tough patches including the 2 you mentioned. It's not like Son started his current scoring rate in his first season is it, it took time. As mentioned they are (all) different players, Son to me is a lot more suited to come on as impact sub with his turn of pace and trickery, Llorente not so much, or simply not yet.

All I'm saying is get some perspective and give him a chance. He has great attributes, skill and experience and done it at the top level for a long time. Including winning a world cup. He can help our team, that's all, why do you want to write him off so quickly would be my question.
  10. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Also,

Strikers like Son and Kane create more for themselves, other strikers like Llorente feed more on service in to them. Players have different styles including strikers..
  11. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 88 / -0
    "Llorente's style" probably includes fluffing easy chances at short range or did the wind not blow in the right direction for him to be at the peak of his powers..

Sure lets wait till the end of the season - but a quality striker would've scored all those chances he has missed so far and if its not "the style" of a striker to score goals from the situations where he has missed sitters then there is no point discussing this..
  12. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    yeah he fluffed a couple of chances.. is there a striker that hasn't or won't.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  13. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    He is bloody 32, will become 33 in mid season. We brought him so that he would hit the ground running. He will not and should not give too much time to settle because ... well, he will retire soon. It is laughable to compare him with Son who was 21 or 22 when he joined us.

Agreed that he has different needs.
    But I see very little reason to change our approach to the game as he has not proven enough so that we would make OTHERS play on his style.
    So just shorter - I don't think it he is a right type of striker for us.
  14. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    We dont need to change how we play to suit him. He needs to adjust to us, but thats not going to happen. Just have to hope when he plays hes effective in some regard
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    So just shorter - I don't think it he is a right type of striker for us. :D
  16. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Some of you that don't like him need to get over yourselves. No one is saying he is better than Son or Kane and gets in ahead of them. I told you before EST if you don't like or fancy him as a player that's fine - that's your choice and opinion. You get yours and I get mine, I don't need to hear anymore blather about it and you don't need to justify your dislike of him to me trying to discredit him somehow, it's a circular discussion I'm not interested in. I'm not here to be his leading cheerleader he's not the second coming he's just a good striker in my opinion that can be useful to us. Get over it now, he's here now and he's part of our squad most matchdays. We agree to disagree on a player, that's football.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    Arsenal seem very capable of altering their game to suit their strikers. Usually Lacazette and co are the chosen ones and the team plays short possession football with quick movement in and around the box. When Giroud comes on they change and start putting in crosses for him - and he quite often scores (7 goals this season). Granted he's quicker than Llorente, but I still don't see why Spurs cannot adapt their game to their striker - it's what most other teams do.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    He was not bought as a like-for-like striker to rotate with Kane, he was brought in to provide something different. It follows, then, that the team approach with him at the point of the attack should also be different.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    It has to doesn't it? Kane plays all over the field. Llorente is never going to do that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    Yep.
  21. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    In the Prem, Llorente has made 10 substitute appearances for a total of 135 minutes.
    That amounts to just over 13 mins per appearance in order to make an impact.
    Just seems like some of you are quite unreasonable & asking quite a bit of the guy.

Yeah, he's missed a few chances but that can happen.

But as I stated earlier, he scored 1/3 of his clubs goals last season. A club that was poor & generated very little offensively.
    He took 52 shots/attempts at goal, with 26 of them on target. 15 of the 26 went in.
    Therefore, he converted just under a 1/3 of all his attempts at goal.
    That's not bad

But let's consider some of the other top scorers:

Kane 26%
    Lukaku 22%
    Sanchez 18%
    Costa 18%
    Aguero 14%
    Ibra 14%

In fact, Llorente's return is not just "not bad", it's better than all of the above.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,790 / 49 / -0
    The ball Davies fed Kane with to score against Stoke would be meat and drink to Llorente, but we dont do enough of that.
    • Agree Agree x 1