'I really wish we'd sign...' Thread (Realistic or not)

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by Wildstar, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Much the same thing that I think about Malcom. I like him, but hardly our biggest need.
  2. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I think CB is a position we potentially need to strengthen as we could lose Toby in the summer and isn't Jan's contract running down soon? I like him as well, but is he tall enough? If you look at the best Prem CB's they are nearly always 6 ft plus. Both Jan and Toby are physically imposing, whilst Ake is less so. But other than physical concerns I really like the way he plays.
  3. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    God I hope we can get Toby to sign up again.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0

Comparing aerial battles on premierleague.com Ake is around the same as Toby. Vertonghen has a considerably better record yet he is only 1 inch taller than Toby. Carvalho was one of the greats and only 6 ft at most so I certainly wouldn't rule him out on height.
  5. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    We average 9% more possession than Bournemouth, so you have to imagine Ake has quite a lot more defending to do, both in the air and of the ground, than Toby. But I certainly wouldn't rule him out based on height and I like what I've seen of him.
  6. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    Yes I was taking a fairly broad view of the stats but Ake has won 21 more than he has lost, Toby has won 10 more than he has lost. That seems to be the best way to compare unless one is avoiding aerial duties for what ever reason.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Any chance Axe is being considered for left back?
  8. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I saw something about interest in this guy. Not sure it's crazy.

9. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I saw the same story and went straight to youtube!

He doesn't look anywhere near athletic enough for the Premier League in my opinion. Technically good, but not a top level athlete in my opinion.
  10. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    He looks really slow, even in the Championship. But how athletic are David Silva and Eriksen really?
  11. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    They are much lighter than Dack looks. Speed is great, but stamina and quick feet are also important. Eriksen runs further than any Spurs player. I think at times he covers the most amount of ground in the league. To me Dack just doesn't look like he could do the running required to press intensely for 90 mins, play on the break or even get out of tight spaces with quick feet.

I actually think Eriksen is quite fast.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,360 / 60 / -0
    He seems to have great vision.
  13. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    He'd have probably made a great scout in the army in the days before binoculars.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    We are now actually being linked with a 44 million pound move for Malcom in Jan. As I said the other day he has the attributes to be a special player, hence I like the idea of taking a punt on him, even though he's also got some really poor parts of his game, which could easily mean he just stagnates, if he can't improve them. But 44 mill is a huge punt and more than I was expecting. I thought he only cost Barca around 40 mill, so thought after a year of barely playing, we could risk 30 mill on him, as opposed to someone like Sessegnon. But 44 mill is a lot of money to risk on a player who gives the ball away needlessly.

Tottenham interested in £44m January move for Barcelona's Malcom | Daily Mail Online
  15. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,360 / 60 / -0
    It’s also a lot of money on a player that’s probably not any better than Son, Lucas, or Lamela.
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    With Malcom I think it's about potential. If we were prepared to spend on Sessegnon, then why not Malcom? It's rare to have someone who can beat a man, has a bit of pace, but also a wand of a left foot. He's got the potential to be a Moura, plus great finishing, which is a very exciting prospect. I think he could be a 20+ goals Prem goals per season guy. We've see it before in this league, if you have a bit of pace, and can cut in, from an attacking wide position, there are lots of goals to be had. Malcoms left foot is good enough to challenge Eriksen on set pieces. The trouble is, he gives the ball away too easily.

I'd certainly be very happy to sign Sancho and Foden, despite already having good attacking options.
  17. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    We are clueless in signing players, the opportunity to sign quality without paying over the odds is there if you look, take David Brookes (20) as an example, while Levy decided to panic last summer he went to Bournemouth for around £10M LOL, he is better than Lucas and Lamela already, and perfect for us, then again MP wouldnt play him .
  18. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    Our next big money signing has to be a CM surely.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I've got to say that, even though we are much thinner at CM, we're not perfect up front either. We waste a lot of opportunities. If Malcom is a player who can really take his chances he'll be welcome. If it ends up that Kane has to sit once in a while, so much the better.
  20. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    It absolutely has to be a priority, but we can't force the right player to come along and if good players in other areas become available, we can't ignore those opportunities.

CM must have been our main priority last summer, but we still wanted Sessegnon and Grealish. I know Grealish is a central player, but he's no Dembele, Dier or Wanyama replacement.

I just don't think we are in a position to buy only in areas that we specifically need. Man City, for example, can do that, as they can pretty much force the club, of the player they want, to sell, by offering crazy money. If we want top quality players, sometimes we have to be opportunistic and take them when they suddenly become available to us.

Basically I don't think there is any area of the team we shouldn't try and strengthen if a really good player suddenly becomes available.

For example, if Jadon Sancho suddenly announces he wants to leave Germany, we can't not buy him, if we have the chance, just because he isn't a CM.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. VASpur Active Member

VASpur
    Ratings:
    +322 / 14 / -0
    I hope you are not serious and that this is a joke.

If not, please dont do professional scouting for a living for your families sake.
  22. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    I agree with all of what you've said in principle - you shouldn't be turning down the chance to sign a top LB (random position plucked out of the air as an example) whilst holding out for a CM. The only concern would be: what's the total transfer budget? Would signing that top LB who's become available scupper the chances of signing the CM we really want/need?
  23. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,549 / 33 / -0
    There are plenty of CMs out there we just need to put up the cash. We can't just go after "available" (unwanted) players from top teams and entirely unproven talents if we want to progress. Time to identify a great CM who would suit us and just pay the price.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    Football clubs don't have budgets, they have "war chests." Don't you even read the tabloids?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  26. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
  27. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
  28. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  29. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    Just watched Ake against Utd and he was quality. He's a left sided CB, so would be an ideal signing. Him, Sanchez and Foyth would make a very solid group of CB's for years.
  30. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    He was excellent , but he missed a crucial header at the very end for Rashford to score the winner.