'I really wish we'd sign...' Thread (Realistic or not)

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by Wildstar, Aug 26, 2013.

1. DragonSpur Well-Known Member

DragonSpur
    Ratings:
    +464 / 5 / -0
    I'd actually like to see us sign Dack.
    The videos I've seen of him, i quite like the fact that he drives forward, also some very nice plays. I think he'd look even better with good players around him.
    May only be BS, but I'd like us to take the gamble.
  2. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I'm all for it too. I think there is something about him. I'd be afraid to play him as a CM though. He'd be too much of a defensive liability there, or at least I think so. Everyone wants to be a 10 of course, but that's where he'd be best.
  3. DragonSpur Well-Known Member

DragonSpur
    Ratings:
    +464 / 5 / -0
    For CM, if we could get our hands on Ruben Neves from Wolves, I'd be delighted.
    I've said this before, i saw his debut game for FC Porto a few seasons ago, and he was on a different level. Wolves got him for a bargain price.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I thought Grealish was very impressive again tonight. There is just so much English talent we should be interested in. The likes of Grealish, Maddison and Gibbs White are all real technically gifted players that aren't at top clubs. I think the way to attract the likes of Sancho is to establish ourselves as the place the best English talents goes to. I'd say the current crop of English players between 17-23 are the most talented in my life time. You've also got the likes of Chillwell, Sessegnon and Wan-Bissaka who we could use as FB's. I'm yet to see much of Declan Rice, but he's potentially another option with his contract situation at Wham.
  5. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    This article came out today, highlighting how we may be taking the opposite route with buying players.

IMO the article and quotes from Poch are a bit incorrect. He says that its risky buying young talent for high amounts with them maybe not panning out but you could say the same thing about an established player for maybe double, triple what a young talent could cost.

Why Tottenham decided against James Maddison transfer | London Evening Standard
  6. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I think he must be talking about young players in general and for some reason the journalist has taken it to mean young players from the Championship.

If you look at the U23 English (and Welsh) we've signed under Poch, it's Dier, Ali and Davies. All the young flops have been foreign, such as N'Jie, GKN, Yedlin, Vinny and Wimmer.

To be honest I think it's just a rubbish article that they've pulled out of their backside. The explanation they give for us not signing Maddison is absurd, as it's obvious the reason we didn't was because we prioritized Grealish, therefore totally disproving the reason they give. The basic jist is we didn't sign Maddison as we think signing young players from the Championship is too risky, whilst we spent the entire summer in a protracted negotiation, for a young player, from the Championship, who plays in the same position as Maddison.
  7. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,792 / 49 / -0
    Is it purely english you are interested in as I see you dont mention David Brookes at Bournemouth, for example.

Just read the article and those MP comments are from a few months.weeks ago, he makes too many of this type imo.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  8. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    I do like the look of Brookes. And Welsh players have the advantage of counting as homegrown.

Eberechi Eze from QPR, who we've been linked with, also looks to be really talented. He reminds me of Zaha but seems to have naturally better technique with his final ball.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  9. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    It was a shame to hear about Lewis Cooks ACL injury, he could have been another option for central midfield. I would love to add some more bright young English talent but I think we should try to add at least one more finished article in January.
  10. Tott_BeBop The poster formerly knows as T.K. Massive

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't say now to Quintero if he came up for £15-£20 Mil. He's been having himself a decent season at river
  11. VASpur Active Member

VASpur
    Ratings:
    +322 / 14 / -0
    Isco is having a fall out with the manager and supporters, a cheeky bid in January of 30-40 might be enough to sway him. I would love to see him added to this team
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Sounds good, but the 30-40 bid won't sway the club most likely.
  13. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    Who does he displace in the first XI and would he happy being rotated?

Not really needed with the players we have
  14. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    If he were to join us, I think it would be to play as a CM. Pair him up with a true destroyer there, and we'd really have something.

Of course he's not going to join us so it's irrelevant.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. VASpur Active Member

VASpur
    Ratings:
    +322 / 14 / -0
    True but you never know with a very unhappy player at the moment

Eriksen has been one game on, one game off lately so rotation with him and Dele/Lamela

Its a pipe dream but you never know
  16. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,315 / 31 / -0
    One issue with Isco is that he is 26. Normally that's an ideal age to buy a player. However, if you look at our attacking options, Son, Lucas, Lamela and Eriksen are all 26. It's potentially problematic to have one area of your squad all the same age. Ideally you want things to be more staggered age wise, so older players can be slowly transitioned out and youngster players in, so you are never in a position where an entire area of the squad needs replacing in a short space of time. If we signed Isco, in a few years we could have five attacking players entering their 30's. And those 5 players are of such quality that they aren't going to be easy to replace. Obviously being the same age doesn't mean they will all decline at the same time, but realistically they are all going to be on a downwards trajectory together. So I think we'd be better off looking at the coming generation of young English players if we were to invest in that area.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Agree. He'd be a good shout to replace someone if that's necessary. But considering that our attacking bunch is pretty much a complete unit right now we should be after someone to bring along. At 30 M he'd be a no brainer just on value, but no way that happens. He'll go for closer to 100M than 30M.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -0
    For 30M I'd take Isco, just on the resale value. How much do you suppose Levy will demand in a couple years when his final big payday is coming up? But since he won't go that cheap I agree we're better off looking elsewhere for someone younger/cheaper. We have other positions in more desperate need of a major upgrade. Besides, he'll demand major salary and that is probably more a sticking point with Levy..
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0
    Apparently Rabiot has turned us down ... again. Said he is leaving on a free in the summer. So sad seeing PSG getting screwed over like that. Really feel for them.:)
  20. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    He was never going to come here and he's likely be playing in Spain next season
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018 at 12:36 AM
  21. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    Shame. Would have loved to see how he'd work out in the side alongside Eriksen. Could've been something really special.
  22. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0
    It still hurts to hear it though. Will be hilarious if Barca pass on him after this. He seems to be betting everything on it. Don't think he pulled this stunt so he could end up at Sevilla.