If you could only choose one, who would you rather stayed , Modric or Vdv?.

Discussion in 'Players Lounge' started by jrg83, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Who would you choose to stay?

1. Van Der Vaart

64 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Modric

74 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Let them both go

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. jrg83 Well-Known Member

jrg83
    Ratings:
    +3,213 / 5 / -0
    Obviously Seems highly likely Modric will go, while there are also rumblings about Vdv, if u could choose one of them to stay who would it be?, feel free to state why.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. dansm31 Active Member

dansm31
    Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    I go for vdv at least he wants to be here and has a geniune love for the club unlike rat face.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    Modric, VDV is injured all the time.... has the doggiest hamstrings known to man.
  4. jrg83 Well-Known Member

jrg83
    Ratings:
    +3,213 / 5 / -0
    Damn i meant to do this as a poll, 1 vote each so far.
  5. rmdye Active Member

rmdye
    Ratings:
    +193 / 11 / -0
    While I really like VDV a lot, I think he can cause some issues with our formation. While I know he runs his ass off every game he plays, he still lacks for pace a bit. I think if he weren't always facing hamstring injury issues, it would be more difficult, but I'd say you're looking at 8-10 games a season easy where he's unable to play or at the very least not up to his best. Especially now that we have Sigurdsson, who in my view is slightly inferior though more versatile, I think the loss of VDV would be easier to cope with than Modric. That said, commitment can't be overlooked. I don't feel like Modric gave us his best last season, and that upset me a bit.

P.S. I only have one Spurs shirt, and VDV is on it, so you know I like him :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Tough one... If Modric truly wanted to be here it's a no brainer, Luka. VDV is an excellent player but there are alternatives, whereas Luka is top 5 in his position. But if he plays like he doesn't care, because he doesn't want to be here, I'd much rather keep Rafa.

So if all things were equal, Luka, no contest. But I think VDV should and will stay.
  7. Park Lane Yido New Member

Park Lane Yido
    London, a small town on Mars ... near the capital
    Ratings:
    +1,451 / 0 / -0
    Compared to the season before last, Luka had a poor one last season in his books.

VDV edges it for me.

One is quick with the ball around his feet, can find a nice killer pass.

The other has eyes up in the stands, can see all the players and cross in some great balls.

One is set upon by teams and gets muscled out.

One can't take corners.

They can be two quite different players, and it all depends on how AVB gets the team to play. What we want now, might not be right in 4 months time.
  8. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,683 / 13 / -1
    Added a poll for you buddy.

Personally I would like Rafa to stay as he has never stated his desire to leave.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jrg83 Well-Known Member

jrg83
    Ratings:
    +3,213 / 5 / -0
    much appreciated thank you.

I expect most people to say Rafa, but potential Avb tactics might make it close.
  10. The Cryptkeeper Well-Known Member

The Cryptkeeper
    Ratings:
    +2,020 / 0 / -0
    Look, I know it is all just opinion but I just cannot understand how people rate Modric as a better overall player than VDV.

Two things in my opinion make VDV a better player:

1) His goals and assists totals speak for themselves. I know that many will argue that Modric is the pass before the pass that leads to the goal but I just don't see it that way. Modric is a fine player and can play a killer ball but his finishing is diabolical for a guy of his talent and this makes him rather one dimensional and rarely a threat closer to goal. VDV might be slowish (Modric is hardly quick) but his brain and feet are lightning quick. The only time I have ever seen VDV's perceived lack of speed exposed is when he is forced to track back hard. In attack though I have never seen VDV in the wrong spot when a chance is being created. The man intrinsically knows where he needs to be. He is also a lethal finisher when the opportunity presents itself.

2) VDV has performed in big, important matches time and time again. He is world-famous for being a big game player. I am always suspicious of Modric when the heat is really on. I never have any doubts as to whether VDV will turn up when we most need him. Look at VDV's record against Arsenal for proof of this.

If Modric leaves I will be disappointed. If VDV leaves I will literally break down and cry.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Mandy Well-Known Member

Mandy
    Ratings:
    +285 / 0 / -0
    No contest for me, VdV any day of the week. He has a higher work rate, he's more consistent and he genuinely seems proud every time he pulls on a Spurs shirt. Modric has already expressed a desire to be elsewhere and although he can be brilliant at times, it really only depends on if he can be bothered.
  12. perstrame Well-Known Member

perstrame
    Ratings:
    +567 / 0 / -0
    Modric easily, no disrespect to Rafa but Modric is just different class for us in my opinion
  13. Marsh Well-Known Member

Marsh
    Ratings:
    +1,225 / 12 / -0
    I'd say it's close.
    VDV's age against Modric's will to leave.

Think I'd still rather keep Rafa, but it's a very tough call.
    Obviously he doesn't have to make this call, but I don't envy Levy.
  14. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,849 / 20 / -0
    If he stays, VDV will likely only start half of the time. It will depend on the formation that AVB chooses, but that system is unlikely to be based around how to best utilize VDV, and if Moutinho does come, and with Sig already here, VDV will no longer be our only creative advanced CM option, and in a lot of formations he won't even be the best.

If Modric stays, he will still be the absolute best deep-lying creator we have, no matter the players we get in.

This is a ridiculous poll question if your objective is winning as many games as possible.
  15. The Cryptkeeper Well-Known Member

The Cryptkeeper
    Ratings:
    +2,020 / 0 / -0

I don't know Dustin. I think that you are being a tad dismissive of what VDV brings to the table. I would suggest that VDV is responsive for just as many wins over the past couple of seasons as Modric has been. The other thing to remember is that Moutinho is not here at this point and Sigurdsson is not (yet) in VDV's class. Plus, I am certain that Modric will only be allowed to leave if we have a high quality replacement lined up to replace him. So, in fairness it is not reasonable to make a judgement call based on some of your hypotheses.

Just my opinion of course.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dansm31 Active Member

dansm31
    Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Its not really ridiculous when one player wants to stay and will play his heart out for the club,and rat face doesnt, so if we dont get the best out of him and he is walikng round the club with a face like a smacked arse it won't benefit the team.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Marsh Well-Known Member

Marsh
    Ratings:
    +1,225 / 12 / -0
    I love that people are talking as if Moutinho is already a Spurs player, even though we haven't made a bid, and are unlikely to match Porto's valuation...
  18. BrumSpur Well-Known Member

BrumSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,746 / 3 / -0
    As [MENTION=7449]AmericanHotspur[/MENTION] said, if all things were equal; they both wanted to stay and we could only keep ONE of them, for me, it would be Luka by a country mile!

Modric is the ultimate team player. A manager's dream, with not a hint of ego about him. Of course, last season wasn't his best, but in the past, I have seen him perform magic on a football field. At his best, he's like a tiny dancer, tip-toeing through the tackles. I believe that he was our most exciting signing in years. Even more exciting than Niko :y13:(yes, I really did say that!!). I couldn't believe our luck, when we picked him up, before Euro 2008 had even started. He's a player that I love watching.

VDV, at his best, is a great player. Thus far, he's been Mr Happy-Smiley-Love-The-Club because, since his arrival, everything has been done to accommodate him. We altered the shape of the team to 4-4-1-1 and, with Harry at the helm, Rafa knew that, if fit, he would play. Now that has changed, I fear we might find that there's another side to him. Will be really interested to see how he and AVB get along.

In the same situation, I feel that Luka would be 'Head down; mouth shut; fight for your place & prove the boss wrong'. I feel that Rafa would strop.

Guess it's a case of personal preference but, if all things were equal, I'd always take the team player over the ego.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. whitehartboy Active Member

whitehartboy
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    VAN DER VAART.......ALL DAY LONG!!!!
    Rafa has stated he loves this club....Luka has stated he wants to play for Chelsea
    Rafa scores 10plus goals a season....Luka.......Doesnt!
    Rafa is proud to be a TH player...Luka is always lookin for the door
    Rafa is.............RAFA!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Cryptkeeper Well-Known Member

The Cryptkeeper
    Ratings:
    +2,020 / 0 / -0

Let me understand this.

VDV has never put a foot out of place since being at Tottenham. He may have been accommodated in terms of formation but that makes perfect sense based on the playing personnel that we have and VDV's undoubted quality. There is no argument to say that we would have achieved better results without VDV in the side. That said, he was often substituted by Harry after an hour or so and you can see that this annoyed him as the guy just wants to play.

Modric has also played pretty much every game under Harry and played far more minutes per game. Therefore to say that VDV has had more favourable conditions to Modric is just plain incorrect.

Furthermore, to make comment that Modric would be "head down, mouth shut....." makes absolutely no sense based on the above facts. It makes even less sense, if that is possible based on the fact that Modric has been crying like a spoiled brat for a transfer for some time now and tried to hold the club to ransom last summer. Who can forget him missing early season fixtures due to "stress leave?" VDV has only ever proclaimed that he may finish his career in Holland which is not unreasonable and has played whenever he has been required, not bitching about it as much as once.

In fact, not very much in your post makes sense. Both players have had conditions made to order for them at Spurs. One has bitched and wanted out, the other hasn't. Modric has made out that he is bigger than the club, VDV has not.

Now explain to me which one is the "ego" and which is the "team player."
  21. balooga999 Well-Known Member

balooga999
    Ratings:
    +474 / 14 / -0
    For me it has to be Luka by a mile and then some....and that's no disrespect to VdV who I think is an excellent player in his own right. But to me Luka is just sublime and silky smooth in the middle of the field, in the tight spaces, with the pressure right in his face, it is a real beauty of a thing to watch him operate on the field. The unfortunate thing is what he dose on the pitch doesn't always show up in the stats column but when you watch the team on the pitch....Luka is the engine... his skills allow the ball to be inventive and keeps everything flowing on the pitch; the attack doesn't get bogged down in the middle of the park. I think the most telling thing is when he isn't on the pitch, when you see the likes of Niko, THudd, Parker, or Sandro operating in the middle...that inventiveness just isn't quite there, you see more long ball, and lobs.

What he does on the pitch is hard to replace, even outside of the club there aren't too many players around the globe that have the ability to do what he does and bring to the table what he does. Two me he is second only to Xavi in that play-maker role; who ever you replace him with you are going to drop down a peg. And BrumSpur brings up a great point: he is quite a professional player. Yes, he wants to leave, but he goes in day in and day out and puts his shift on the field and doesn't strike(not on the Dimitar lvl atleast lol) or any of that other nonsense ala Berbatov. Let's not try to undermine how good he is just because he wants to leave us....frankly if I could convince only one player to stay, I would certainly want Luka, the man is a game changer.
  22. BrumSpur Well-Known Member

BrumSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,746 / 3 / -0
    Perhaps if you read the post again, PROPERLY, it would make a little more sense to you?

Someone has 'thanked' it, so it obviously made sense to them too!

I said: If all things were equal; they both wanted to stay and we could only keep ONE of them ...

I was taking out of the equation EVERYTHING
    that has gone before (e.g. the Luka fiasco, last summer and the supposed desire of the VDV's to move back to Germany now).

VDV never put a foot out of place? Hmmm .... the European game, when he stropped off, after being subbed? "Annoyed because he wanted to play" you said. Surely EVERY player wants to play! Do they all behave like that?

Nowhere in the post did I say that VDV has had more favourable conditions than Luka. I didn't make a comparison. I stated the fact that VDV has been accommodated, in a way that I don't believe AVB will follow.

Luka has NOT implied that he is bigger than the club. He's at the peak of his career. He wants to be a big earner and playing at the highest level he possibly can. And that, to him, is in the Champions League! Much as it will pain me to see him go, I wouldn't want to deny the guy his ambition!

Perhaps the difference is that I think like a compassionate, female human being and you think like a Tottenham fan. Please believe me that I'm NOT being rude when I say that. I'm not implying that you're inhuman or that I'm not a fan. I'm just saying that we're applying a different thought process here.

But just because you disagree with me, please try to refrain from making me out to be stupid! "
    In fact, not very much in your post makes sense" was a little bit offensive. It didn't make sense to YOU. It made perfect sense to me! :001_302:

• Like Like x 2
  23. Marsh Well-Known Member

Marsh
    Ratings:
    +1,225 / 12 / -0
    Think it makes sense (aside from the fact that things very much aren't equal, at all), but it's a little harsh on Rafa. He shows very few signs of still having an ego.
    His passion get's classified as having an ego, but that's wrong, in my opinion.

They're both incredible players. When you consider their situations, it all about personal preference really.
    As I said, I'd take Rafa (with his injury problems and age) over Luka (who wants out).
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,849 / 20 / -0
    Modric played pretty fooking hard, and well last season. Maybe he didn't look quite as good as he could of under a different situation, but the guy was still immense for long stretches of the season, and far more integral to making our team work than was VDV, even if VDV gave 110%. Look I understand kicking a player down the road if he shows piss-all effort, but to say that is what Modric showed over the course of this las season is far far far from the mark. I know stats don't say it all, but did you know his overall OPTA player rating score is the 3rd best in the PL last season? (How he did that while not benefiting the team is beyond me) Not exactly quitting as some seem to suggest. Also where do you get off slagging him as "rat face" over and over? Why don't you put your picture up on your profile for us to have a go at.

Also, guess what? (this may come as a shock) every Spurs player does not really "love" the club, in fact most do not. Guess what else: Our club treats players like commodities to be used in a way that best fits our economic needs. Does our club say: "you know lets keep Ben Alnwick and Oscar Jansson, they LOVE the club." - No, we release their asses and say sorry boys its been a good 6 years, now get out. This is how top professional football teams operate, it is how it is. But then there are some fans that gobble up when VDV says in an interview (I love it hear at Spurs, great club, really happy) - Just like he said when he got to his teams in the past. But wait, if a player says, you know what I am a world class player and would like to play with other world class players at Manchester United, Bayern or Real Madrid in the world class competition (CL), well they are somehow two faced traitors??? Grow up, and show a little respect for a player that has played 127 games for Spurs and has been monumentally important to our success over the past few years.
    • Like Like x 4
  25. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,680 / 3 / -0
    if this was a poll after the first season he was here, id agree but his fitness improved last season and he wasnt injured as often as he was in 10/11
  26. The Cryptkeeper Well-Known Member

The Cryptkeeper
    Ratings:
    +2,020 / 0 / -0
    Brum, you simply cannot dismiss all that has gone before when making a decision like this. You can only make a decision based on the facts.

The facts are, that like all players Rafa may have shown his emotions at times but he has never put himself above the club and only ever played with passion. Modric, on the other hand has sulked and begged for a transfer. He has used the media to drive his agenda and whilst I have no problem with the guy wanting to further his career, the very fact that he held the club to ransom last summer (and to deny that he did is just plain ignorant) to the point that he allegedly wasn't mentally strong enough to take the field early in the season speaks volumes about his lack of mental strength.

Your post then suggests that Rafa would sulk if things went against him under AVB and Modric would not. This is just a ridiculous comment to make. It is comment without basis, a comment without anything to back it up and a comment that unfairly paints Rafa in a poor light. The evidence to the contrary is that when things do not go his way, Luka is more likely to sulk. I have never seen Rafa refuse to take the field for Tottenham. In fact, the opposite is true. The man is upset when he is subbed off. Luka, on the other hand refused to play, citing stress as an excuse when he did not get his own way last summer.

As for my tone, well I do not mean to offend. However I make no apologies for the position I take here. You cannot simply say that everything that has gone before is irrelevant and then make a judgement call on what you perceive may happen under a hypothetical set of circumstances that call into question the ego's and temperament of the two players in question. The only way that you can make a judgement call in this fashion is to use recent history to make your assessment. And recent history suggests that Luka is likely to throw the toys out of the cot long before Rafa is.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,680 / 3 / -0
    And not to knock Luka but he hasnt for the most part of his Spurs career, which is being picky but this poll is comparing one to the another.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Bogota Yid Well-Known Member

Bogota Yid
    Ratings:
    +2,108 / 1 / -0
    VDV by a country mile.
    I don't understand people who have voted for Modric. He really, really does not want to be here and if people think he will buckle down and get on with it immediately they are wrong. He will be more resentful this year than last, especially with missing the FA cup and Champions with Chelsea. Plus his two Croatian mates are no longer here.
    VDV doesn't go missing in the big games, whereas Modric sometimes does. He is a fantastic player but his finishing is horrendous and i don't agree he would flourish under AVB, although VDV won't either. He will likely spend more time on the bench but he gives it his all and offers goals and assists. We are going to be playing a different system now and Modric isn't an aggressive, pressing player and he doesn't do that well pushed up field.
    Modric is a great player but I'm not that bothered if he goes now. Time to move on. If he isn't committed then with all due respect fck him.
  29. dansm31 Active Member

dansm31
    Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Fook me you have had a bad day haven't you,take a chill pill.And i wasn't talking about his performances last season even though at times he was very below par,but if you keep a player at a club for another season when he doesn't want to be here do you think his performances will improve on last seasons i doubt that very much so whats the point in keeping him.And as for me calling him rat face grow up yourself mate its tongue in cheek,ive been called alot worse in my time but i don't start crying over it,as for vdv loving the club maybe he does maybe he doesn't but the point is he wants to be here modric doesn't is that better for you :y15: i would much rather keep a player that wants to play for us than one that doesn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. BrumSpur Well-Known Member

BrumSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,746 / 3 / -0
    No matter how many times I try to explain, you're not going to get me, are you?

The O/P said: "If u could choose one of them to stay who would it be?

He made no other specifications.

And I said that, if all things were equal; if it was a straight 'which player would you rather keep' decision, I would pick Luka. Not because of anything that's gone before, but because I believe he is a better footballer than VDV.

Why are you intent on implying that I can't think that way? It's my opinion! You are in no position to tell me what I can and can't think! You have no right to tell me how to make judgements. I can do that by myself, thank you! You can disagree with me, if you like. And you obviously do!

Don't patronise me! Please stop implying that just because I don't think like you, I'm wrong! I'm not wrong! I just don't think the same as you!

Remember the title of the thread? It asked for opinions. You gave yours. I gave mine. And now, you're telling me that mine are ridiculous, ignorant and that I cannot possibly think like that!

Well, I DO!!! Get over it!
    • Like Like x 1