Incorporating Niko

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by StPaulSpur, Feb 6, 2011.

1. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    Some readers here have been clamoring for more Niko for awhile now and after today's match it's easy to see why. The trouble is how do we incorporate him into the lineup regularly?

Here's one idea:

--------------------Gomes-----------------
    --------------------------------------------
    -------------Dawson-------Gallas--------
    --Corluka-------------------------Bale---
    -------------------------------------------
    ------------Modric------Tom/Jenas------
    --Lennon------------------------Niko----
    -------------------VDV------------------
    -------------------Crouch---------------

Obviously this formation is still asking a lot from Crouchy and it's uncertain he'll be able to deliver, but when he's on, this formation looks like it could be a terror for opponents. You've got two wings who are both capable of making plays down the flank or attacking the goal themselves, VDV and Crouch up top, plus Bale storming down behind Niko. Plus it's easy to modify this into a 4-4-2 by taking off Lennon, Niko, or VDV for a striker. Just shift VDV to a wide spot or, if you take Rafa off, bring on the striker to replace him.

Thoughts?
  2. perstrame Well-Known Member

perstrame
    Ratings:
    +567 / 0 / -0
    Why would you put Bale, one of the best wingers in the world, at left-back...

Jus' Sayin'
  3. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +1,451 / 5 / -0
    Well, its gonna be even harder to fit him in now we have bought Pienaar. I think today showed that we wasted £3m.

I'm not saying that because he's a bad player, I think he's pretty good and will improve. We just didn't need him.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    I dont like the idea of Bale playing LB with Niko in front of him. Niko drifts far too much inside and Bale would be so exposed, I'd rather have BAE back there at LB and have Niko playing LM if Bale/Pienaar are out.

He's a good squad player but unless the players in front of him are injured or their form starts to dip I cant see Niko playing many games. He could definitely get into most first teams in the PL, its just a bit of bad luck and bad timing for him
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  5. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Yeah, this too.......he cant go back to LB at the moment, while in the future he may turn out to be one no way would I think of moving him.
  6. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,657 / 11 / -1
    It is a shame because I like Nico but I agree with the above post. He will not get enough games even though he is class.

Personally though I would not play him on the lefti would use him as a creative CM if Luka is injured or shattered.
  7. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Yeah, I agree with that as well....maybe not CM but definitely in the hole. I dont think he has the fitness right now to play in the middle of the park, but definitely in a VDV role for the team. Just a shame we've had some players in great form this season otherwise Niko would definitely be involved more.
  8. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +897 / 1 / -0
    --------------------Gomes-----------------
    --------------------------------------------
    -------------Dawson-------Gallas--------
    --Corluka-------------------------BAE---
    -------------------------------------------
    ------------Modric------Tom/Jenas------
    --Lennon------------------------Bale-----
    --------------VDV-------Niko-------------

Why bother with strikers that don't score? Play six in midfield with four of them bursting forward ......
  9. Scarlotti Well-Known Member

Scarlotti
    Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    My view exactly!

And I suspect that it will be the view of most Spurs fans!

I really do appeciate Niko's talents but feel that with our current squad - assuming everyone is fit and that we have no suspensions - then Niko is not a starter for us!

But given his versatility he should be the first choice substitute (or replacement in case of injuries etc.) a range of attacking midfield roles or even playing behind the main striker (a la VDV)
  10. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    Ummmm hellooooo where's Defoe in this???
    He was dynamite upfront with VDV against Villa and you put Crouch there instead???
  11. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,274 / 33 / -0
    Look. Niko's goal was great, our goal of the season to date, but that doesn't mean his role on this team suddenly switched to being a regular starter. At the end of the day he is still a squad player. He won't suddenly begin starting games and getting full runs out. Harry will continue to use him as a sub and plug him in where needed. I'm not saying this is right, just that its how things are. I hope he continues to work his way into the squad and starts getting more time on the pitch, but knowing Harry I don't see it happening. It simply isn't feasible to think that 10 minutes on the pitch and one goal suddenly means that Niko is Harry's new favorite. I love Niko and everything he does for the club. He should continue to be a super-sub who starts the occasional match here and there. His attitude is second to none and if there is one person who I know will accept his role, do his best, and help the club it is Niko.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

couldnt have said it better myself, everything you said is the flat out truth.

edit: apart from his goal being the goal of the season, but agree about the importance of it.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BatchSpurs Well-Known Member

BatchSpurs
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    [MENTION=1408]BigDub[/MENTION]

Goal of the season my arse!!

No doubt it was good, but Bale's volley against Stoke is hands down GOTS for me
    • Like Like x 3
  14. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,274 / 33 / -0
    Mate, I mean that in terms of importance. Probably should have clarified, as in it is the most important goal of the season to date. My bad.
  15. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    Spot on [MENTION=1408]BigDub[/MENTION].

One good finish definitely does not mean we should change the position of our best player - and I know Harry won't.

All it will mean is that he probably will come off the bench more often.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TheRock Active Member

TheRock
    Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I'm aware that Bale is better, but if Bale or Benny are out, Niko should play that game from the first minute. Why Harry picks Pienaar or switches Lennon to left wing is beyond me. I'm not saying he should be a first team regular, but he should be playing much much more!
  17. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    Why Harry bought Pienaar AT ALL rather than get a player we actually needed is beyond me!!
    I don't care if people are now saying 'hey, we needed him seeing as Bale is now injured. Lucky, eh?'.
    I say bull-hooks to that. Nobody predicted that Bale would be sidelined with a back injury and Kranjcar
    would've filled that position easily and brilliantly.
  18. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    It's the price that attracted the club to Pienaar.......we got a versatile player for peanuts........he's also cover for Lennon when hes playing on the right because we dont HAVE a player who can be an effective back up to play behind Lennon.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    We already had two of those before him in Kranjcar and Van Der Vaart.
    And they're pretty much the same type.
  20. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Yeah they are, however as we've seen this season Niko doesnt enjoy playing on the right and while Rafa can its not his preferred position. Pienaar can play there if Lennon is out injured or if Harry wants to play Lennon on the left and Rafa in the hole.

Pienaar can play on the left, as can Niko however for me Niko doesnt have the discipline to stay in a wide position as he drifts in far too much and would leave our LB exposed and having to mark not only his man but Niko's as well. This is why Niko's best position IMO is in the hole so having a player like Pienaar is exactly what we need right now a player who is capable of playing on both wings and wont really change how we play when it comes to our wingers.

He can also slot into the CM role if need be.
  21. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    It should only be if all our more bulky CMs are injured. Otherwise the midfield is soft in the centre and can't win the ball like Palacios and Sandro.
    Those two show better desire to win the ball and offer a more physical presence. Pienaar isn't of that physique.
    Not to say Kranjcar isn't either, but Modric can't tackle all the time and Palacios/Sandro need to be there.
  22. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    I realize that, and I know HR plays a play maker with a DM who will allow the other do what he wants in an attacking sense. So I cant add much more to what I've already said, Pienaar is here now and I'm delighted that we have a great quality addition to our squad.
  23. tpucic New Member

tpucic
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  24. Dubrovnik-CroFan New Member

Dubrovnik-CroFan
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have been watching Niko for a long time first in Dinamo,Hajduk,Porsmouth and now Tottenham and this is my conclusion:
    He can play only 2 postions LM and AM(behind one striker)
    His biggest weaknes by far is that he is just to slow,he lacks speed and that is why he cant play RM,it is difficult to cut inside and he doesnt have the speed tu run down the side.On LM he will in 90% of the time cut inside play tika-taka with CM,LB,try some clever ball in space or dribble and shoot if he is in a good postion.Defensifly on LM is hard for him to keep tracking and covering fast players and LB has far more job to do,and CM has to move more on side to cover for the hols that are opening there and then leaves to much space for other CM to cover,so you realy cant imagine him playing CM because,on there is far more ground to cover,especialy on counter attack.On AM postion he can play because that is not so defensifly responsable position and he has great shooting ability that he can use from that postion far more often then from LM and he can pass the "final" ball from there,so that is realy his natural postion.So this brings me to conclusion that there is realy no space for him at this moment at starting eleven because Rafa is the second striker,and Bale is the left wing.But he is ideal subtitute for LM or AM for last 20-30 mintues when things are not going well as they where against Bolton,or needs to give rest for Bale or Rafa so Harry should honesly realy had given him more subtitutes minutes to play

One more thing I dont see what is so much buzz about pieenar he is relay a very good player for price that is payed for him and he can cover more midfield postions than kranjcar,so he can be used on CM and can do good covering defense if not tackling one because his phisical constituiton.Give a guy a chance to show what he can do.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Eric New Member

Eric
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Harry is smart not playing Kranjcar agianist Milan because he doesn't need a bigger Niko dilema...

If Niko scored against Milan he would still be on a bench with Bale back but with greater desire to leave club ...

Plus he wants to promote his stars not make new ones... He already made his decision.

He want's him to stay in status Q as long as possible use him when he needs then let him go next year. ​
    Eric,
  26. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,760 / 15 / -0

Best Niko post by a Croatian I have seen. Thanks for the honest un-biased opinion your spot on.

Niko no doubt would benefit from more playing time, but really he can only play to his great potential in the AM position, and that means answering the key question: If VDV is not playing, is it better to play Niko and one other striker, or Defoe and Pav/Crouch? Harry has gone with the latter, and I believe it is because of Niko's lack of pace/quickness on the ball.
  27. benki11 New Member

benki11
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Pieenar is waste of money,Niko is already here and much better player then pieenar!
    What did pieenar show so far?
    Nothing that any other player we already have can do!!!!
    Niko is not playing only beacause Harry have personal disagreement with him and this is not professional behavior from manager puting himself infront of Tottenham FC!!
  28. thornton3 New Member

thornton3
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Niko is the perfect replacement for Luka while he is not up to full fitness/energy.