Jack Grealish

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by basskadet, Jun 9, 2018.

1. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    Tottenham lead the chase for Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish

This has come out of left field & it all sounds very typical Levy. Aston Villa get in trouble with HMRC & suddenly we’re offering £15m for their star player they’ve valued at £40m! LOL

To be fair, Villa were NEVER going to get £40m for Jack, I think that was more to keep other clubs at bay, but with their financial troubles will they have any choice now?

Although he may not have been a target for us at the start of the window, I think we might have stumbled onto a really great move for everyone (except Villa I guess, but they need whatever they can get).

I think a few people opposed to this would say things like “he’s a troublemaker” and “he’s inconsistent” but I would reply that all his “troubles” are long behind him & happened when he was quite young. Actually, when Villa were in real strife midway through last season, he was probably THE player who knuckled down & focused that energy the right way. As for his supposed inconsistency, well look at the team he’s in. He’s had personal problems when he was younger & was in a very average, struggling Aston Villa team. However, he stood up when it counted & when Villa started to look destined for misery, he dragged them up the table & ultimately into the play-offs.

He’s also a creative player, but he’s playing for an incredibly pragmatic manager. I really think he would thrive under Pochettino. Grealish strikes me as the ideal “Poch” player. Like Dele, he plays on the edge & has a bit of grit about him. He makes things happen & he winds up opponents. He’s young, he’s homegrown and I think he would work really well in our set-up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I'm with you on Graelish. I know a lot of fans are disappointed that Graelish is being so heavily discussed and rumors about Malcolm and Martial seem like fantasy. And if Graelish were the coup de grace of Spurs transfer window I would probably agree. But I think the beauty of acquiring Graelish is that he is not only coming at a cut rate but he's also likely going to play the position we most certainly need.

It was rumored that Spurs have about 100 mil to spend for the window. I think that number is likely high unless we sell a player or two. But if we break down what it would likely cost for a CB and AM, that's the better chunk of our rumored window cash. I don't think we are getting a quality CB for under 35mil LIkely 40 mil. While we can probably sign an AM for under 35mil, it likely would just end up being another N'Koudou or N'jie. If we are going after an attacking player, it really should be Bailey, Malcolm or Martial. Someone like Lemar if I'm really dreaming. None of these players we should be going after will be gotten for less than 40m and that is probably low. So just between those 2 positions we are looking at upwards of 75mil. If we sell Toby, Sissoko, Rose and Dembele that would obviously add a good amount of funds to the coffers. But I doubt Levy would want to spend all of that income on top of what he all ready had put aside. It's also unlikely I think that we sell all 4 of those players, but perhaps.

So if we sign those 2 positions, we probably also need a FB a GK and a Striker. FB will depend on Rose I think. GK might still be a luxary buy. Striker though, I don't see a way around. It doesn't fill me with optimism thinking about entering the season with Llorente as our #2. All though, I do have high hope for Reo Griffiths. Unfortunately, he's probably still a year away or more. But maybe we get lucky.

That still leaves us without the CM with badly need. If we sell Dembele, I would sugges we actually need 2 CMs, but not sure how likely we would be to actually buy 2. No CM on the level we need and with the abilities we need could be bought for under 35mil either. At least none that I can think of. The next option would be a young unknown prospect along the lines of Dele Alli, or a project player that might need some molding to the position. As we need a CM immediately, bringing in an unknown prospect would still likely leave us without answers. Hopefully we will have a healthy Winks back, that should buy us a little room during the season. But ultimately we need a CM that can start playing now, even if it's just a few games here and there in the beginning. Graelish strikes me as a perfect player for this. He's not a full time CM, so he will likely take some work, but he's also experienced enough where he could start playing games immediately when needed. He brings an attacking ability that we need from the position. I would also say he has natural traits that lend themselves to playing at CM, like the ability to track back, tackle and hold on to the ball in traffic. He has everything you need to become a high quality CM, but he will come at a fraction of the going rate. I think partly because most teams would probably want him to play AM, and there are plenty of other AMs available in the window who might be better options for the position. And he's certainly cheaper because of Villa's finance issues. There is no way we could find another 22 year old CM with his possible upside for the rumored 15 to 25 mil he would cost us. That at least would give us plenty of room to spend elsewhere and fulfill one of our biggest needs. But yea, there is risk involved. It's a bit of a gamble.

If he were coming in just to play AM or winger I would totally agree with the doubters. We don't need him there. We have better and there is better available.
  3. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    I've warmed up to this move. The story is that his bad injury/near death experience has changed him and I can believe that. He's certainly a talent and we might have something beyond what anyone expected a year ago.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    Yeah, that seems to be the case. He didn’t get into the Villa team last season until November because of all that, & his 1st 5 games all came from the bench, so he had a slow start to 2017-18 to say the least. However, post Xmas he was absolutely flying & his attitude looked so much better than before. He didn’t have that whole “I’m a superstar” thing like he did before, instead he was not only a team player but actually a bit of a leader at times. The play-off final was a prime example - Villa came up short in the end, but they were WOEFUL 1st half & desperately needed someone to stand up & be counted. If anyone did, it was Grealish in that 2nd half.
  5. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,790 / 49 / -0
    If there is a logical reasoning as to why I would agree to G-rEA-lish signing, its easy , when you consider the likes of Sissoko, George No Clue etc.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  6. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    This feels a bit like when Ross Barkley was a target. We might have an interest in a player we could get cheap compared to other options which is a form of leverage in the transfer market, hopefully like with Barkley he'll end up elsewhere.
  7. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    It does have a very Barkley feel to it. But I think there's a couple a very real differences. First, after his hamstring tear Barkley was a screaming risk. Grealish was injured too, a kidney!, But I'm assuming that it is unlikely to recur. His legs are fine. He's hardly ever been hurt. Secondly it is likely that we can get Grealish on the cheap because of Villa's troubles. Barkley was way over priced for a reclamation project. Grealish at 15 million could be a steal. His potential is still high. I'll be disappointed if he's our big deal of the summer. That would be unthinkable. But I'd take a chance on him.
  8. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    Villa's valuation smacks of desperation stakes what with their HMRC problems & is totally unrealistic. I reckon he could be got for around £20m & at that sort of price he'd be worth taking a punt on.
    With the Moose seemingly on his way & with us hopefully getting shot of Sissoko strengthening our CM is gonna be a priority for us this summer.
    IMO we need 3 players in that area to make us really competitive for next season.
    For me a fully fit Harry Winks is 1 of those 3. I think he's a fantastic player & but for the 2 long term injuries he's suffered over the last 18 months he'd be a fixture in our midfield by now & almost certainly in the England squad flying off to Russia on Tues for the WC.
    Alongside Winks I'd like to see us bring in 1 big money 'statement of intent' CM. He'd cost us a lot mind, both on the fee & in wages but with Dembele gone we have to do it. Cebellos? Kovacic? Sergej? Thiago? That kind of player.
    CM no3 then would be a technically gifted younger & promising player, one that Poch can get hold of & mould to our style. He wouldn't be a definite starter but would certainly be good enough to get minutes from our bench.
    Jack Grealish fits the bill for that slot. Yes there are other alternatives out there but the fact that he's home grown & physically and mentally proven in English football makes him a good option IMO.
    I've had a look at some of the Villa boards to see what they say about young Jack & they have nothing negative to say about him. They of course praise his skill set & natural ability but they also praise him for his grit, work rate, determination & his sheer enthusiasm in their midfield.
    Quite a few of them have obviously seen a lot of Spurs games on TV & all say that they feel he would thrive in Tottenham's system of play & that a manager like Poch would be great for him.
    Of course there are no guarantee's in football but I still maintain that at the right price he'd be a good signing.
    COYS!!!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I'm definitely with you on most of that. The 2 CMs certainly a part of that. All though the more I am reading about Graelish, his inconsistency worries me. I'm less worried about his attitude history as I feel like hes been maturing, which is a positive sign. I also have faith Poch can deal with a player like him and set him on a good path. He would make a good depth/project option at CM, behind Winks and whomever else we could bring in. I love the players you mentioned I think. But Graelish alone won't be enough at CM to really improve us, especially if we lose Dembele.

I am of mind though that if he costs us any more than 20 mil, he isn't worth it.
  10. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +436 / 10 / -0
    From what I have seen of him
    I like, has that edge as per Deli and from my era Gascogne, genuinely feel that under Posh could be a very shrewd move!
  11. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    I would also argue that Barkley was a decent target pre-injuries but bidding on him without ever really seeing how he came back from that long lay off was a MAJOR risk. People say “bullet dodged” but I really don’t look at it that way as I don’t believe we were ever that interested in Ross without seeing how he recovered first. We were interested in “pre-injury” Ross, & I still believe he could’ve been moulded into a decent player under Pochettino had the move happened at that time. It didn’t. Ross got injured & we never really stepped up our interest again. I think that we were waiting for him to come back to full fitness & see how he performed in the Everton team, running down his contract in the process. Chelsea didn’t want to wait & neither did Everton, so Chelsea took a HUGE risk on a player they didn’t really need at all.

We actually could really do with a player like Jack, mainly because he qualifies under UEFA rules as homegrown (something, amazingly, we really struggled with last season, with Juan Foyth having to be dropped from our Champion’s League squad upon the signing of Lucas because our quota of foreign players was already maxed out). Jack’s injury, like you said, was extremely serious but actually shouldn’t effect his game too much. If anything, it should mean he is more reliable as it will have forced him to grow up and stop his “playboy” antics.

Where Jack is FAR safer than Ross is that we have not only seen him recover from his injury, but his game has gone up a level since he came back from it. I accept that he was playing in the Championship at a lower level & there is always that risk that such players struggle to reproduce that form in the Premier League, but I think Jack is less of a risk than most as he has shown promise in the Premier League already, as a teenager in a, frankly, TERRIBLE Aston Villa side. If he can show such potential as a teenager in the Premier League, then I think him starting to realise that potential now is positive whether or not it is in the Championship
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    woops error
  13. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Id actually say Spurs have had a decent amount of luck when it comes to players from the Championship.
  14. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    I agree with all that, but I also would add I don't think he's a "bullet dodged" as others have said, as we didn't bid for him as we didn't see him as a viable option for this season, which clearly he wasn't. If he has a poor season next year, it will be a bullet dodged, but to my mind he's a very capable player, who we were interested in signing for free, so I'm not that pleased we didn't get him. I've never been a massive fan of him as an ACM, but Poch obviously rates him and he's technically very sound. I could see him developing into a very decent CM player or in a 4141.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,790 / 49 / -0
    Barkley as you say , cannot be judged yet as he has not had a chance to prove himself since his long term injury, I shall wait for him to get back to full fitness and form to judge him fairly. Players have come back from similar injuries and it will be interesting to see if he gets a chance at the chavs or he moves on, but he needs regular games whatever happens.
    • Agree Agree x 2