January Transfer Window 2017: Rumours/Speculation

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by Yid_1984, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / 33 / -0
    I just don't know why Mahrez keeps leaving it to the last minute. He should have just put in his transfer request at the start of the window and the summer before. Leicester seem to have no issue letting their stars go as they did with Kante and Drinkwater.
  2. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,790 / 49 / -0
    After his previous sulk when he failed to get a move, he signed a new contract that has no get out clause.
  3. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Your points are all valid and I normally side with the club. On this occasion I believe they are being daft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  4. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Think its an absolutely spectacular purchase at 25 m. He SHOULD be a difference maker. Let's hope he comes through.

A little disappointed we didn't get Gomes or a creative CM/DM type. Hopefully Dembele can stay healthy rest of season. If he can play the rest of the way like he did against MU, we have a real chance to close in on 2nd place.

Thought Bats would have been a great addition initially. But if he doesn't want to come here, then it's better he didn't lol. Would have loved to get in a different 2nd striker option than Llorrente though. He certainly hasn't performed as well as I thought he could when he first arrived. Been the biggest disappointment of the summer transfers. But hopefully Moura will add that goal scoring or allow others to play in more of a goal scoring position. Not sure how he'll be used yet.

Overall, decent January. Could have been better, but getting Moura means it could have been a lot worse too.
  5. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Adrien Silva to Leicester for 22m. He is a player I thought could really help Spurs. He's 28 I know. There were younger and better options. But for the price, I don't think so bad.
  6. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    Agree he isn't a winger. You said he never played out wide. He did. End of.
  7. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    You are both right, in a way.

I am in agreement though that I don't believe Eriksen had much to do with missing out on Willian. From what I remember, Eriksen was a target of ours from day 1. I think he was always one of our main targets. He wasn't in the elite ranking of young AM prospects, probably a tier below. I'm sure the likes of Barca, RM, MU, MC etc. all scouted him and some considered him leading to rumors, but I think for those teams he was more of a secondary, backup option. At the time, he was the level of target that Spurs and Liverpool were after. I think we beat Pool to signing him actually, not 100% certain.

But yea, Lamela would seem to me to be the player Spurs "settled" on after not getting Willian. There was more positional similarity and Lamela had just come off a year where I think he scored 25 goals for Roma. There was major talk of him "replacing" Bale at the time, or Bale's scoring. Which I think is what we were targeting Willian for from the beginning. It was unclear at the time if Lamela was a real winger though as I think many still thought his future still was at CAM. I think many in Italy expected him to eventually replace Totti. But when we got Lamela, I think it was more of a surprise. He hadn't been discussed in connection with Spurs nearly as much as Eriksen from my recollection. Pretty sure Lamela signed on Aug. 30th, after Willian signed with Chelsea Aug. 28th.
  8. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    I think I remember Eriksen had said no to Man City the summer before we signed him.
  9. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Possibly, all those teams had surface interest. And im sure in the right situation, or lacking a more premier signing teams might have gone harder after him, but he still wasn't one of the elite prospects in Europe at that time. The type of prospects that even then would have probably gone for 25 - 30m, that now probably go for closer to 50m. And I know he was smart enough not to want to be relegated to the bench at that point, stuck behind a whole team at Man City, because he wasn't the type of young player that would have walked into their starting 11 or likely even been given a push to. Ie Pogba, Silva, Martial. Im not even sure he was on the level of Mendy or Sane. I think he was a tier below that type of young player. Those types that I think a team without CL or a league challenging position would have the most difficult time acquiring. Teams like Man U can still get that type of prospect because they have the cash without CL and its always expected they will be contending for top 4 and CL even if they missed out on the top 4 the year prior. Teams like Man U don't go too many consecutive years without finishing top 4. Not sure the last time they missed 2 straight years.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    I disagree with you about Eriksen because:

He was the youngest player appearing at the 2010 World Cup at the age of 18.

In 2011, he was named Danish Football Player of the Year, Dutch Football Talent of the Year, Ajax Talent of the Year (Marco van Basten Award), and made the UEFA Euro U-21 Team of the Tournament. These achievements put him among the most desirable of young players and therefore an 'elite' young player. He also won the Eredivisie with Ajax in 2010–11, 2011–12 and in 2012–13 before signing for Spurs in 2013 and in his first season was voted Spurs' player of the year.
  11. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Yea, I don't think any of that makes him one of the elite targets we are talking about here. He was never on the level of Pogba, Neymar or Mbappe. Now Eriksen might turn out as good or better than some of that level of prospect, but in their youth there was a clear difference between Eriksen and the elite prospects. Like I said, a good tier below. Still great prospects. But there is a difference.
  12. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    Yeah, a real separation between him, and oh,let's say Pogba, who United didn't even want.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +339 / 8 / -0
    Pogba was always wanted in United. There was a conflict between Pogba and Ferguson. But no doubts about talent.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
  14. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 78 / -0
    Eriksen was a bigger prospect than Pogba at the age of 16.. Specially at the age group of 15 to 17, Eriksen was more reputable than Mbappe or Pogba. Mbappe burst into the scene only last year. Before that, who would have known about him?
  15. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    That's just not the case. There are reasons for the fees some of these players go on at such young ages. Eriksen simply wasn't in the conversation. Are you Danish?

There is a clear difference between the elite prospects in the world and the tier below. The transfer fees they go on are one factor. But to say Eriksen was in this elite group is just incorrect. We got him for 12 mil at the time. Short contract or no, that just doesn't happen with the elite level prospects we are talking about.

Just because you liked Eriksen and because he was one of the best Danish prospects at the time and one of the better young players in the Earvs, doesn't mean he was one of the elite prospects.

The main thing is how they are rated and what is expected of them. Eriksen was rated moderately as a prospect. He was thought to have a high, but not necessarily elite potential. Eriksen has easily surpassed what most people expected of him as a player.

Lucas Moura even went for 38 million when he was 20 I believe.

No one is contesting Eriksen's current level. He's a star. He's probably wanted by every elite team.
    But when he was entering professional, adult football, he wasn't at the level of some of the other 18-21 year olds. I don't even think its a point of contention really.

Eriksen was never comparable a prospect, being sought to play for professional teams, as the likes of Neymar or even Pogba.

No one is talking about when the players are 15 years old. When it matters, when they are 17, 18 , 19, 20 etc... he was a tier below the elite. I feel you are bias for some reason.

And lots of people knew about Mbappe before last year. At 16 years old, Mbappe was the YOUNGEST ever 1st team player for AS Monaco. While Monaco was playing Ligue 1. So what are you even talking about? Sure if you don't follow Ligue 1 or play Fifa or Football Manager or follow world youth soccer and prospects you probably had no idea who he was. But the people who follow those things also knew about Eriksen and he wasn't talked about as the same level of potential. That has nothing to do with the player he's turned into. But has everything to do with why Tottenham signed him for 12 million. And also, we were still considered top 4 challengers at that time.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  16. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 78 / -0
    We got Eriksen for 12m because of his contract situation, otherwise it would have been 30m just like lamela's price. You can't deny that. The price of Mbappe or Pogba was higher because of this current market situation. You could have compared the situation with coutinho who was unknown before his liverpool stint. Not Eriksen. Eriksen was always earmarked as the best young prospect on his age group.

You know Eriksen's youth level achievement very well. I don't want to mention it. Eriksen was a regular member for Ajax team that had played UCL for couple of years in a row. Internationally, Eriksen was also more reputable before coming to Spurs.

Btw, I am not danish or a big Eriksen fan.
  17. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Lamela had 3 years left on his deal with Roma when he signed for us, compared to Eriksen's one....so that wasnt the main bargaining chip the clubs used against us.

Eriksen refused to sign a deal with Ajax because he was ready to move to a bigger club. Lamela was more expensive because Roma didnt have to sell him because they werent in a position to do so. He cost £25 million because we gave them an offer that was too good for them to turn down ie we overpaid
  18. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 78 / -0
    That's what I am implying. We got Eriksen cheap, because of his contract situation. Otherwise, I am sure Eriksen's price would have been 25m to 30m ( That was in the higher price range during 2012 to 2014 ).
  19. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    Yea i can tell. Theres just no way Eriksen was on their level. That wasn't the only reason their prices are astronomically higher. Eriksen was earmarked as the best young Danish prospect of his age group. Not in the world.

Again, around the same time, even Lucas cost more.
  20. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    Not with regard to a player, but PSG manager... would be more than happy if this happened as it would buy us another couple of years with Poch

Manchester United: PSG think Jose Mourinho will replace Unai Emery after huge development | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

21. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
  22. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
  23. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    LOL. The player we have in that position is better than the old Mesut Ozil.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    PSG Reportedly Take Lead in Malcom Race Ahead of Arsenal and Tottenham | Bleacher Report

Spurs eye up Ajax star Matthijs de Ligt for £50m summer swoop as Toby Alderweireld talks stall - football.london

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  25. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Being linked to De Ligt at Ajax, would be a great replacement for Toby
  26. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
  27. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    'He's being followed by big teams' Liverpool near stunning transfer for midfielder - Birmingham Live

28. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    Manchester United target Samuel Umtiti reveals ‘various clubs’ are keen to sign him from Barcelona this summer | talkSPORT

29. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.