Jon Obika

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by THFC6061, Jul 27, 2010.

1. THFC6061 Well-Known Member

THFC6061
    Ratings:
    +2,407 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

It's mission accomplished so far in pre-season for Jonathan Obika.

The young striker was determined to make his mark in our early friendlies and has done so with two goals in four matches.

He scored our first goal of pre-season in the 4-0 win at Bournemouth before grabbing the equaliser against Sporting Lisbon in the Barclays New York Challenge on Sunday.
    Entering the action just before the hour, Jon latched onto Robbie Keane's passbefore striking low past Patricio in the Red Bull Arena.

With another couple of efforts on goal it was a lively half-hour cameo from the 19-year-old - enough to snatch ESPN's Man of the Match award!

"It's always good to hit the ground running in pre-season and I've been delighted to get on the scoresheet," said Jon, who enjoyed loan spells at Yeovil and Millwall last season.
    "The aim is of course to first and foremost get fit and match sharp but if I can make an impact in matches and do well in front of the manager it's always helpful.

"I love football so to be able to come out to America and train with the first-team squad is fantastic.

"I've been able to pick up so much by training and playing with the likes of Keano and Pav, players in my position, watching how they play, the runs they make, the quality of their finishing and that's given me confidence. It's gone well so far."

So does Jon Obika have what it takes to be a first team striker for Spurs then?
    Over the years Tottenham have produced many fine goalkeepers, defenders and midfielders but a distinct lack of strikers.

In fact, Mark Falco is the only one I can remember making the grade and before that it was Frank Saul.

I'd put Peter Crouch in a different category, as although he came through our Academy he only made Tottenham's first team after transfers to QPR, Portsmouth, Aston Villa, Southampton, Liverpool and Portsmouth again.
  2. Justice New Member

Justice
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    He definately has a chance.
  3. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +781 / 3 / -0
    i think he will definitely have a good chance in cup games this season and in those games he has to prove himself
  4. markyboy New Member

markyboy
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    he looks quite lively. dont know if hes quite ready yet. a loan may be good for him.
  5. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +781 / 3 / -0
    if its a loan i want to see a premiership club where he will get 1st team football
  6. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,455 / 0 / -0
    He is starting to show his ability...he has potential to be a big name in the future. Didn't he score in the FA Cup (youth) Semi Final @ WHL two seasons ago. If so, great goal. BTW - 10 loyalty points for tickets for that game which only cost £5 LOL...
  7. davids01 Well-Known Member

davids01
    Ratings:
    +192 / 1 / -0
    if he goes to another premier leaue side he wont play so i think it be more benificial for him to have a run in the championship.
  8. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +781 / 3 / -0
    So whats the difference if he stays here then he wont get played over our strikers, I think hell'd get a sniffin in west ham, Blackpool or someone along those lines... i'm pretty sure we could offer him on loan and put a clause saying he has to be played in a certain amount of games if we pay his wages...

But I would rather see him fight for his place in our squad and play some cup football
  9. Gareth Well-Known Member

Gareth
    Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I think this is the season we start bleeding through our academy players into some first team chances, so that next season we can see who can do it at the top level. I'd love to see Jon Obika playing some, he definately does have ability to be a top striker!
  10. Holmesdale Eagle New Member

Holmesdale Eagle
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As a Palace fan, I thought I would just drop you an update on Obika’s performances. Whilst we aren’t exactly setting the league alight, quite the opposite in fact, Obioka has been nothing but awful. If any of you lads are passing through Croydon, you couldn’t pick him up and take him back with you?

You may as well take Davids back too.
  11. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Yeah, I dont think he's going to make it here and I havent been impressed when he's played (especially this years preseason)

thanks for the update, and welcome to the forum.
  12. Tottenham-ManU New Member

Tottenham-ManU
    Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    i eard he just started i few games and then he got injured
  13. 1990Hotspur New Member

1990Hotspur
    Ratings:
    +241 / 0 / -0
    yea i thought he was injured too?
  14. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    Are we ever going to see any of our reserves play for Spurs again/at all?
    The only time I seem to hear about them is when they get sold or sent on loan to other clubs.
  15. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,311 / 2 / -0
    You're saying this after four appearances?
  16. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    He was but he's fit now
  17. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Sorry to bump this old thread but I posted in the loan thread that he's been loaned out to Brighton for 3 months.

The timing of it seems a bit funny, given we are expected to get JD back on loan after completing his move to Toronto

Loan JD until March.....Obika returns from 3 month loan spell, and TS continues to use him/Harry Kane as 3rd choice striker

Thats one way to look at the current scenario.
  18. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +853 / 61 / -0
    after seeing Bentaleb looking quite decent..looking forward to seeing Obika in the senior lily whites asap
    • Like Like x 1
  19. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    You will be disappointed mate......Obika won't be here past the summer.
  20. NundyYido Well-Known Member

NundyYido
    Ratings:
    +1,745 / 14 / -0
    he is 24 in september, anyone still wondering how he has not moved on out the club? Lower championship, higher league 1 player at most. no offence Jon...
  21. koppel Well-Known Member

koppel
    Ratings:
    +4,998 / 35 / -0
    He's still playing in under-21 tournaments for us. Beyond sad.