Kaboul or Cahill?

Discussion in 'In the Know ( ITK )' started by IH8GOONS, Aug 16, 2011.

1. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    So one of the supposed reliable ITK's has said that PSG could be putting in a big bid for kaboul and think he could be worth 25million in a few years :504:

My question is, who would you prefer to have at our club kaboul or cahill? Albeit in signing cahill, we would most likely be making some money with PSG's riches, i would prefer kaboul.
  2. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Both...

I see no reason why we can't- offer Bassong and 10-14m (depending how much Bolton want for him) and then we'd have Cahill, Kaboul, Dawson, and occasionally King or Gallas. Sounds fine to me.

Also- I believe the exact same thing PSG do- Kaboul is, imo, better than Dawson right now, and in 3 years time will be one of the best in the world. He has already gotten a couple starts for the French NT and imo will be our undisputed starter soon. I think we really underrate him at times, some people forget that he's even here, but he is a very good player and if he gets more games he'll show his class.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    Really? I haven't seem him at cb much recently as the last few times he played full back instead. Im not so sure Mr Levy would not accept a say 20 million bid if it were to come in.

Yes i would also like that deal, bassong plus cash for cahill, sounds good!
  4. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Well, I think I phrased that wrong. If you gave me a choice between Kaboul or Dawson, I'd pick Kaboul. He has better distribution, is faster, and overall seems more comfortable on the ball than Dawson. He's also more versatile, and is an actual threat on corner kicks. Don't get me wrong, Dawson's strength and last-ditch-defending are great but there are more of his types than Kaboul types. Plus I think Kaboul's passing and ability to take the ball forward are much better than Dawson's. That being said, I think they compliment each other pretty well, and Dawson offers leadership and deserves the captaincy, but simply player-wise, I think Kaboul's better.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    No reason we can't have them both......so.......both :)
  6. Bryce_Williams Well-Known Member

Bryce_Williams
    Ratings:
    +590 / 2 / -0
    Do they want Kaboul bad enough to swap Sakho? I would take Kaboul over Cahill though. He is not better than Daws right now, but will be absolute class in a few years. Him next to Daws would be one hell of a CB pairing. Good in the air, strong, and hes versatile so we could move him around and still have him produce.
  7. USpur Well-Known Member

USpur
    Ratings:
    +1,281 / 5 / -0
    I wouldn't want to sell Kaboul. He is one of our most versatile defenders and to lose him would be a big blow to our defense.
  8. orlandospursfan Active Member

orlandospursfan
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Eloquence aside, getting rid of Kaboul would be foolish in my opinion. Cahill is good and wouldn't mind having him, however not at the expense of Kaboul.
  9. mattyvw Well-Known Member

mattyvw
    Ratings:
    +528 / 1 / -0
    Kaboul is gonna rule this defence next to dawson this season. Also I wouldn't get rid of bassong either, once he gets some confidence back he'll be as good as 09/10 season. Play him in all cup games and when needed in the premiership.
  10. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,758 / 15 / -0
    Solid post, while I would still rather Daws at CB, but you have made several good points that are spot on...I'm almost convinced. They are pretty much the same size, but you are right that Kaboul is a lot better on the offensive end and is faster, and yes Daws's tackling in a pinch is better, However, I feel that Daws may have less gaps in his marking compared to Kaboul. That said, last season Kaboul was an improvement on the previous season while Dawson was more mistake prone than his previous season. I hope to see Daws back at full strength this season.

(Speculation: Part of Daws proneness to errors may be because in the Daws/Gallas partnership, Gallas was always playing injured, So Dawson stayed man marked more often while Gallas stayed back - thus Daws was prone to be dragged out of position more frequently and therefore appeared to have players get behind him more often).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    They all suffer from being a class below King. :302:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Well to start they aren't really the same type of CB- Dawson is the English bulldog no-nonsense type, while Kaboul is the better player with the ball at his feet and is faster. Kaboul reminds me a lot of Pique, who is IMO the prototype modern CB. So it's kind of hard to compare them.

I feel like we both have covered the physical and skill levels of both so I'm going to make a point on the mental aspect of the game. Dawson is, while not shaky, rather mistake-prone. That's odd, because usually players of his type are solid and don't make a lot of mistakes. He should be the one sitting back and covering, while Kaboul or King goes and wins the ball. So like you said, playing with Gallas may have hurt him. But, my point for Kaboul is that reading of the game comes with time- if he gets more starts actually playing CB he'll continue to improve. His marking is a bit suspect, but only because he isn't playing there regularly- defenders need consistency to play better. Marking at RB and CB is COMPLETELY different (trust me, I play both) and so you can't really blame him for some mistakes. In fact, he played pretty well considering that he wasn't a regular at either position and had some injury problems. People seem to forget he had surgery in January- before that he looked like one of the best CBs in the Prem.

Also, I think the fact he has improved so much already shows he can keep improving. IMO, our future at CB is Kaboul and whoever else, maybe Dawson, maybe Cahill, maybe Caulker even. But Kaboul, if he can avoid injury and is played regularly, has great potential and it would be stupid to sell him.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,089 / 21 / -0
    Ledley - Injured and old
    Gallas - Injuted and old
    Bassong - Sell

That leaves us with Dawson and Kaboul. ONLY!!
    What if Bassong gets sold? What if Gallas and Ledley is injured? Which is a big chance it happens.
    We cant sell Kaboul and replace him with Cahill because then we are back in the same problem.
    Get Cahill this summer, let him and Kaboul compete for the XI.
    Next season we get Caulker back, Gallas is around 35 then? Ledley doesn't have a leg by then.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SpursBoy96Jay New Member

SpursBoy96Jay
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Cahill.. he's homegrown and IMO a far better player, enough said.
  15. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,667 / 32 / -0
    cahill is a better player than kaboul,and daws is better than kaboul,i dont know wherepeople are getting the idea kaboul is better than daws,it cant be based on last season
  16. Yankee New Member

Yankee
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely love Kaboul. Having said that I'm not sure I would rate him above Dawson. I do love Kaboul's versatility though. If it were up to me I might have him as our first choice right back.
  17. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,248 / 33 / -0
    We could do with both. IMO, though, if I could only choose one it would be Kaboul. His versatility gives him the leg up in my eyes.
  18. P UNIT 1980 Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT 1980
    Ratings:
    +10,358 / 38 / -1
    Shawcross please.

And both of them.
  19. grottim Well-Known Member

grottim
    Ratings:
    +965 / 3 / -0
    dont want that thug in the team. He's a worse and much dirtier version of dawson.
  20. Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko Well-Known Member

Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko
    Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    This is like Chris Brunt or Gareth Bale?
  21. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Who is which? I'd say you're wrong and they're pretty close in skill level, whoever you think is better, anyways.
  22. Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko Well-Known Member

Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko
    Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    No they're not,

Chris Brunt is good, but Gareth Bale is great.
  23. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Oh my god you seriously thought I was asking that? I meant who's Chris brunt and who's Gareth bale out of Kaboul and Cahill?
  24. Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko Well-Known Member

Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko
    Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    Kaboul is good, but Cahill is quality.
  25. bradders Legend!

bradders
    Ratings:
    +916 / 0 / -0
    as do ALL the other defenders out there lol
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko Well-Known Member

Irish Yid Pavlyuchenko
    Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    I posted that, forgot to include, but you'll see you posted 4 seconds before I could.

I'm not wrong though, it is that way.
  27. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the clarification mate. You'd have to be completely insane to think Brunt is close to Gareth Bale :)! But, I'm not sure I agree on Cahill. He'd be a good signing, yes, but I think he's a bit overhyped since he's English, and IMO Kaboul has the potential to be a lot better.
  28. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,667 / 32 / -0
    and when is kaboul going to live up to this protential???,hes had 2 spells at the club and is around the prem a few years now,now im not saying hes not quailty but i dont see him as our main starter at cb,right back maybe but harry has had someone other than him available he has played them cb
  29. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    All I can say is just wait- he looked really good last season before the injury and didn't really get a game at CB after that. Played well at RB though. Plus, he's only 25 and the prime age for CBs is over 26 at least. He's shown improvement and I see no reason as to why he can't keep improving If he gets a run of games and avoids injury.
  30. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,169 / 7 / -0
    This.

If we're talking about the future, Caulker should figure in somewhere in the next season or two, so if we buy a new central defender, surely Kaboul would be surplus to requirements. I would be shocked if we moved for Cahill, though.