Kevin Prince Boateng - the one that got away??

Discussion in 'Spurs Videos' started by jd1882, Nov 24, 2011.

1. jd1882 Active Member

jd1882
    Ratings:
    +187 / 0 / -0
    After showing great promise as a youngster in germany he failed to make any impact during his time at spurs. Now holding down a regular place at one of the biggest clubs in the world, you cant help but wonder if KPB is 'the one that got away'. Personally I rate him higher than taarabt, check out these clips and make your own mind up.

check out his amazing footwork in this one

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,550 / 3 / -0
    He may have been the one that got away but he wanted out and wasnt getting games. Dont think you could fault the club for letting him go, one of the few who has actually done something since he's left the club.

He's 10 times the player Taarabt is.
  3. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    I had a feeling this would come up.... Repost from the Taarabt thread....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  4. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,230 / 8 / -0
    If he were still at the Lane, he'd be struggling to get games, I think. Good move for both clubs.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    Exactly, think of it this way with VDV, Modric and Parker, how could he get into the team and what would he offer? He's scored a few crackers lately but for Milan he's mainly a box-to-box midfielder. He's playing a little differently because of necessity, but that's normally his role, which is exactly what Parker does for us.
  6. jd1882 Active Member

jd1882
    Ratings:
    +187 / 0 / -0
    Yeah he might not be a able to get in our current team but neither can Sandro and I wouldnt wanna see him shipped off to pompey for a measly 4 mil.

I'm Kinda pleased to see him doing well and obviously atm us spurs fans cant really have too much to complain about regarding our midfield options. But if there was a guy to be 'the one that got away' it is definitely him or at least we could of got a bit more dosh for him.
  7. deejbah Well-Known Member

deejbah
    Ratings:
    +2,005 / 0 / -0
    I think he was one of those guys who coasted for a couple of years and then realised 'shit although I have a lot of ability a lot of people don't necessarily agree with me and I actually need to start doing something to make them realise it before I'm 30 plus and never done anything'. When you make thousands of pounds a week for not even playing, it's probably easy to do. There's a lot of people who never have that realisation (looking at you Taarabt).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    On the second part though what does he offer? Completely healthy everything he does we have a midfielder that can give us a similar dimension. Sandro isn't analogous because I do think he offers us a different dimension and if we had an injury would be a valuable squad member. A couple injury scenarios....

Modric - We would change tactics slightly in put in Krancjar, Thudd, or Pienaar.
    Parker - Sandro, Thudd and Livermore can do a similar job.
    VDV - Change tactics and put Defoe up top with Ade, put Gio/Krancjar/Pienaar in the hole, or play a 3 man midfield with Modric/Sandro/Parker.

Basically what I'm getting at is we have options, so I respectfully disagree with the label 'the one that got away'. Especially when you factor in the other little things about his character, like he's a massive egotist. Milan are pros at handling those types of personalities (Zibra, Cassano, Robinho, etc), so he kind of found the perfect club for him. I just think we cut our ties and went another direction.

You can argue we should have gotten more for him but we're judging his value on current form, so it will always look like we settled for less then he's perceived to be worth now.
  9. nssmuckers New Member

nssmuckers
    Ratings:
    +1,512 / 0 / -0
    I don't think getting rid of him ended up too poorly for us but the dude is special. Such a rare mix of size and power and pace and technique and skill.

I think he'd give VDV a run for his money...he's playing very well in that advanced role. I don't think he has the passing or vision of a true #10 but he can shoot like a mother****er with both feet and can definitely make goals out of absolutely nothing.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  10. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    I've watched him an awful lot being a fan of Italian football and when he was at Spurs. I don't think you were making a direct comparison but he's nowhere near VDV in technique, who is one of the most technical players I've seen play for Spurs. He reminds me more of Parker then VDV, with a bit more technique and skill. His role for Milan is basically to add that extra bit of energy, because other players on the roster like Seedorf, Van Bommel, Cassano. Basically he uses his athleticism to cover the spaces left by other players and push the ball forward linking the midfield to attack, or hold the ball up letting other midfielders advance. Milan play a Diamond or the 4-3-3 most of the time, depends on who's available and who they're playing. When they're playing the Diamond Boateng will play at the point and cover left and right because Milan play quite narrow. When Milan play the 4-3-3 the preferred forward line is Robinho---Zibra---Cassano/Pato, one again very narrow and NOBODY wants to track back, lol. That's what makes him so useful and why it seems like he always finds himself in acres of space. He doesn't get regularly selected when Allegri opts for the 4-3-3 and if other players were healthy he wouldn't play much at all, when completely healthy he gets rotated. When Milan play a 4-3-3 they're solid in the midfield and they have a lot of time on the ball, so Boateng's best qualities aren't needed as much. The central midifeild will be some combination of Seedorf, Aqua, Flamini, Gattuso, Van Bommel, Nocerino.

I think he may develop into a first team player but probably not in an advanced role. At the time being if Milan are going to play someone in the hole and expect him to do something similar to VDV they'll play Aqua, Pato or Robinho. Also Milan have El Shaarawy who they think will fill that role eventually, not to mention they're still pursuing Ganso. If they do finally sign Ganso it may not be good for him. It's hard to imagine him getting in the team regularly if he impresses.
  11. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,558 / 16 / -0
    Here's an example of how Milan's diamond works.....

[​IMG]
  12. SuperPokeychenko Active Member

SuperPokeychenko
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    He played superb at the worldcup and i did think then..Ooops why did we let him go!!But like others have said We've got parker/sandro and imo the strongest midfield in the premiership so i'm not complaining..
    But the lad can play and them goals in the clips up there!!! wow seriously good striking
  13. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
    great player just doesnt fit into our team.
  14. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    Well..............Mehhhh!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kid Chameleon New Member

Kid Chameleon
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I had high hopes for him when he first came to us, but it didn't work out. I'm happy for him.

It could be worse. We could have sold Gareth Bale before he came to fruition or off-loaded Kyle Walker to QPR or Aston Villa.
  16. jd1882 Active Member

jd1882
    Ratings:
    +187 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate your argument but I dont really want to go into too much detail about how he would fit into our current team. The way I see it is that every team has to have a one that got away. In some cases it is more obvious, for example fabregas until recently and others might be Giuseppe Rossi for Man Utd.

For us I dont think anyone can make a stronger argument for any other player to take the title.
  17. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    The biggest coont in a team full of egotistical coonts. I don't want that dirt anywhere near this club.
  18. belondon Well-Known Member

belondon
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    above average footballing skills
    below average human being

wouldnt have him near our stable dressing room. wish him well elsewhere.

COYS
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +2,337 / 16 / -0
    He"s no loss
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SweSpurs massive bellend according to bigdub

SweSpurs
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 21 / -0
    yes you do
  21. Gareth Bale Is a Yid New Member

Gareth Bale Is a Yid
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Milan's midfield is poor.

Sandro
    Parker
    Modric

Are all better than Gattuso,Van Bommel and Seedorf and Boateng.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    No, never. Not even if we had the midfield of the 06-07 season I still wouldn't want him, let alone now in which our midfield is incredible and miles ahead of Milan's as the person above me stated.

Sandro Gattuso
    Parker Boateng
    Huddlestone = Nocerino (personally I'd pick Thudd, but whatever)
    Modric Seedorf
    Bale Flamini
    VDV Aquilani
    Livermore Van Bommel

There you have it.

Edit: I wouldn't care for any dirt players like him for our club, even if he was better than our midfield. Our club is as pure as it gets nowadays, and I'd much rather keep it that way, than become like Milan with the Gattuso's, Flamini's and Boateng's.
  23. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    I would love to have him back at the lane................

In the semi finals of the CL next year ;)
  24. SAspursfan New Member

SAspursfan
    Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I was never ever that impressed with him whilst he was at Spurs and really don't think we have regretted selling him on. He would still be on the bench! (probably whingeing)
  25. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
  26. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    What for......? We need creativity, he is more of a workhorse and battler. Aka Sandro, Parker... Yeah he gets a few goals but we have strik...... Yeah point taken.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +859 / 21 / -0
    He would certainly fit into AVB 4-3-3 as pivot man in the middle. He is able to socre from outside the box and he did show vision when he played with Ibra last season. I would take.
  28. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    I'd like him as an advanced midfielder or runner in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Good combative player with an eye for goal. Sandro and Parker are good combative runner types as well, but between the two of them in five combined years at the Lane, they've scored two goals. Someone like Boateng would do well here. (Plus he took Arsenal apart in the CL last year, we can always use another Arsenal killer.)
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    Well that brings me on to my second point - I'd get rid of Parker.
  30. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    That's unfair on Sandro, given he got both those goals.:001_302:
    • Like Like x 2