Klinsmann-Sherwood

Discussion in 'In the Know ( ITK )' started by Rivron, May 13, 2011.

1. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    Noticed this in the ITK thread.

Excellent (and hopefully true) if it comes off - much as I like Joe Jordan and have no personal animosity towards 'Arry. And hopefully sooner, rather than later, although that will be determined by Postman Pat of course.
  2. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,800 / 21 / -0
    i really hope its klinsmann
  3. trevout New Member

trevout
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ??? Link? Your thread is in the ITK section and I don't see anything else about this? Is it a rumor about one of them replacing Harry?
  4. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,526 / 3 / -0
    [MENTION=7633]trevout[/MENTION]

I moved the thread to the ITK section but look at the ITK thread itself.....its post number #24
  5. trevout New Member

trevout
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ah, gotcha, thanks
  6. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,526 / 3 / -0
    So Klinsmann failed at Bayern, and Low helped him do well with Germany.......not really the sort of person I'd want to come in and manage us.
  7. mattyvw Well-Known Member

mattyvw
    Ratings:
    +534 / 1 / -0
    no way like the above post not really done it for me as a manager.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,549 / 16 / -0
    I've never been able to find anyone besides muckraking journalist that would suggest this is true. Not the most reliable source given the other about Klinsmann stories they embellished or fabricated into controversies. Bild were the main culprits, petty stuff like making a huge deal about him not living in Germany.

As for him as a manager, at Bayern the margin for success is very different then what he would experience here. That club just forced out Van Gaal, a manager that got them to the Champions league final. People always suggest that all his success can be attributed to Low. Why because he's a good coach so ergo he must have been doing all the work? Well surely with Klinsmann out of the way Germany would have progressed further. What Low achieved many German managers have before him. I still think he's an excellent manager but Germany is traditionally a strong nation in international competition.

I've been a HUGE Klinsmann fan for most of my life. So I guess I have a little bias opinion of the man. But I couldn't imagine him being the type of person that would accept being a puppet figure. So to suggest he had no input to me is disrespectful.

Klinsmann wouldn't be top of my list. I would prefer Coyle or Moyes but I'm not ashamed to say he's in my top 7-10. I know one thing, he couldn't possible be worse tactically then Redknapp. He knows how to spot good talent, many of the players he brought through performed so well in 2010. He's media friendly, he seems to be able to handle questions well. Also having a big name like Klinsmann at the helm who genuinely is one of the best players of all time could be beneficial in the transfer market.
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,526 / 3 / -0
    BlueCrew......I would not want Klinsmann managing Spurs if were pushing for top 4 finishes and possibly going for a title, he's was a great player for us but some great players do not make great managers.

edited my post for you.
  10. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,549 / 16 / -0
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then....

I'll leave you with this though.... :y7:

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tdw76 jaws music hee hee

tdw76
    Ratings:
    +1,241 / 2 / -0
    [MENTION=5232]BlueCrew LA[/MENTION]

whats luka got to do with any of this??? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. harrys lovechild Well-Known Member

harrys lovechild
    Ratings:
    +1,406 / 0 / -0
    isnt klinsman based in the states now or is that old news
  13. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    My understanding is that he is but that he has been trying to persuade his US-born wife to move to Europe.
  14. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    Klinsmann's Wiki entry. Note, this came after Germany's disastrous performance in the European Championships in 2004. If the Kaiser can give him the thumbs up, so can I.

2006 World Cup

In the 2006 World Cup, the performances of Klinsmann's team silenced his critics. The team recorded three straight wins against Costa Rica, Poland and Ecuador in the first round, earning Germany first place in Group A. The first game of the knock out stage was a 2-0 victory over Sweden, and in the quarter-finals, Klinsmann's team defeated Argentina, winning 4-2 on penalties. The teams drew 1-1 after 120 minutes after an equalising goal from Miroslav Klose in the 80th minute.[15]
    In the semi-final on 4 July, Germany lost a close match with Italy 2-0 after goals in the final minutes of extra time from Fabio Grosso and Alessandro Del Piero.[16]

After the match, Klinsmann praised the performance of his young team. They beat Portugal 3-1 in the third place play-off, where he played Kahn instead of Jens Lehmann.[17] The victory triggered a massive Berlin parade the following day where Klinsmann and the team were honoured by the public.

Afterward, Franz Beckenbauer, previously a strident critic of Klinsmann's, declared his desire to see Klinsmann continue as coach. There was also widespread public support for Klinsmann due to his team's spirit and attacking style of play. The team's strong performance is thought by some to have renewed national pride and restored Germany's reputation as a top footballing nation. Due to his success coaching the national team, Klinsmann was awarded the Bundesverdienstkreuz. He was even referred to as "Kaiser", a term meaning "emperor" in German, usually reserved for German footballing greats, e.g. Franz Beckenbauer.
  15. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,800 / 21 / -0
    well he was an analyst for espn during the world cup and was considering becoming manager for the US
  16. davids01 Well-Known Member

davids01
    Ratings:
    +193 / 1 / -0
    I don't believe levy would be stupid enough to appoint an unproven manager to such and important job. Really can't see it happening.
  17. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    Unproven? Really?
  18. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,669 / 13 / -0
    Wasn't he the manager of the German national team at some point?

2006 World Cup
    In the 2006 World Cup, the performances of Klinsmann's team silenced his critics. The team recorded three straight wins against Costa Rica, Poland and Ecuador in the first round, earning Germany first place in Group A. The first game of the knock out stage was a 2-0 victory over Sweden, and in the quarter-finals, Klinsmann's team defeated Argentina, winning 4-2 on penalties. The teams drew 1-1 after 120 minutes after an equalising goal from Miroslav Klose in the 80th minute.[15]
    In the semi-final on 4 July, Germany lost a close match with Italy 2-0 after goals in the final minutes of extra time from Fabio Grosso and Alessandro Del Piero.[16] After the match, Klinsmann praised the performance of his young team. They beat Portugal 3-1 in the third place play-off, where he played Kahn instead of Jens Lehmann.[17] The victory triggered a massive Berlin parade the following day where Klinsmann and the team were honoured by the public.
    Afterward, Franz Beckenbauer, previously a strident critic of Klinsmann's, declared his desire to see Klinsmann continue as coach. There was also widespread public support for Klinsmann due to his team's spirit and attacking style of play. The team's strong performance is thought by some to have renewed national pride and restored Germany's reputation as a top footballing nation. Due to his success coaching the national team, Klinsmann was awarded the Bundesverdienstkreuz. He was even referred to as "Kaiser", a term meaning "emperor" in German, usually reserved for German footballing greats, e.g. Franz Beckenbauer.
    [edit]Resignation as national coach
    Despite the highly acclaimed performance at the World Cup and the praise earned, Klinsmann declined to renew his contract, informing the DFB of his decision on 11 July 2006. The decision was officially announced by the DFB on the 12 July 2006. Klinsmann's assistant Joachim Löw was appointed as the new head trainer at the same press conference.[18][19] Klinsmann said "My big wish is to go back to my family, to go back to leading a normal life with them ... After two years of putting in a lot of energy, I feel I lack the power and the strength to continue in the same way."[20]
    [edit]Post-Germany
    After leaving the Germany job, Klinsmann was linked with many coaching roles. He was linked repeatedly with the vacant United States national team coaching job after the decision not to renew the contract of Bruce Arena after the 2006 World Cup. However, Klinsmann could not come to an agreement with the U.S. Soccer Federation over control of the national team structure, and the job eventually went to Bob Bradley.
    In April 2007, the English newspaper The Sun reported that Roman Abramovich wanted Klinsmann to coach his team Chelsea.[21] Klinsmann reportedly rejected the offer.[22] Klinsmann was also linked with managerial roles with Tottenham Hotspur and Los Angeles Galaxy,[23] but the jobs went to Juande Ramos and Ruud Gullit respectively. Klinsmann was also linked to the Liverpool job as speculation mounted over Rafael Benítez's future. Tom Hicks admitted in a statement that Liverpool 'sounded out' Klinsmann about the job at Anfield if Rafael Benitez was to leave for either Real Madrid or Internazionale. Franz Beckenbauer claimed that Klinsmann would be "ideal" as the new coach of the England national team after Steve McClaren was sacked in November 2007, prior to the eventual appointment of the Englishman's replacement, Fabio Capello.[24]
    [edit]Bayern Munich
    In July 2008 Klinsmann took over as coach of Bayern Munich, succeeding Ottmar Hitzfeld.[25] This was Klinsmann's first managerial position at club level. Expected to introduce changes into training and style of play, Klinsmann was allowed to appoint several new staff member such as assistants Martin Vasquez and Nick Theslof, goalkeeping coach Walter Junghans, fitness coaches Oliver Schmidtlein, Thomas Wilhelmi, Marcelo Martins, and Darcy Norman, and sports psychologist Philipp Laux. Klinsmann helped design a new player development and performance center for Bayern and then launched into molding the team for the Bundesliga and UEFA Champions League campaigns. Under his guidance, Bayern reached the quarter final of the Champions League, losing to eventual champion FC Barcelona.
    Bayern’s record during the 2008/2009 UEFA Champions League was 6 wins, 3 draws, and 1 loss (to Barcelona). In the Bundesliga, Bayern was only 3 points out of first place, with 5 matches to play, when Klinsmann was replaced as head coach due to a difference of opinion with the club’s Board of Directors. Bayern’s record under Klinsmann during the 2008/2009 Bundesliga season was 16 wins, 6 draws, and 7 losses.[26]
    [edit]Toronto FC
    On 29 October 2010 it was reported that Klinsmann had been hired to rebuild Toronto FC from the ground up.[27] On 3 November 2010, Klinsmann along with his sports marketing and business development company, SoccerSolutions, were officially announced as consultants to Toronto FC.[28][29]
    [edit]
  19. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    Indeed he was. And he brought respect back to the national team.
  20. dkmHotspur Active Member

dkmHotspur
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    We know there is a big difference for players coming from other leagues to the premier league, is it the same for managers? (Serious Question). Do tactics differ that much, I can notice when watching other leagues that the style of play is different, but no idea how much a manger may be out of his depth. We all know what happened to Ramos.
  21. Rivron these are small those cows are far away

Rivron
    Ratings:
    +5,211 / 42 / -0
    Yes, but Klinsmann wouldn't need a translator. In fact, he speaks English better than most English people.
  22. Jammy_Jae New Member

Jammy_Jae
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    i'd love to see klinsmann at the helm but not at harry's expense!

jurgen is the whole reason why i support spurs so it would be awesome but...

my "best of both worlds" situation would pit klinsmann alongside harry, that could be quite a partnership in effect.

also, by the way klinsmann's english is fluent! he spoke alright english from what i remember plus...

he's been living in america for god knows how many years now, if he ain't picked up the lingo by now he'd be a dumb-a*se!

he does sound a bit like arnie though lol!
  23. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,800 / 21 / -0
    mourinho has been successful in 3 diff leagues so i dont think it matters as much as players
  24. alex3 Banned !

alex3
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    klinsmann also loves us and we used to love him when he used to play for us
  25. mattyvw Well-Known Member

mattyvw
    Ratings:
    +534 / 1 / -0
    not for me. Klinsmann is my all time favourite player but no not as manager lets not get court up in the romance of a hero coming back. He did a good job for germany but on home soil i think alot could of got them as far as they did.
    If harry does go i want someone thats here for long term moyes would be best choice after that coyle but think he needs a few more years in the prem 1st.
  26. Audere est Facere New Member

Audere est Facere
    Ratings:
    +1,546 / 0 / -0
    great player but not sure how he would be managing spurs
    as he managed to **** up the best club in germany by managing them into a Europa league place just to get fired 5 games till the end .

(went out with a 4-0 against barca. went out in the German Cup as well after some hard beating.)
    so that other coach took over and managed 4 wins and 1 draw and get them into the CL again.

year after that bayern got van gaal and he got them the double and almost the tripple.

And germany was not managed really by klinsmann it was managed all the time by löw and klinsmann was just the motivator.

and to get 3rd place with germany AT home is not the biggest achievment.

Its hard to judge him really.

he could lead us to relegation battle but also he could fire us up and make us compete for the CL again.

Simply not sure. I would prefer someone with experience.

Who has been there and done it.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,549 / 16 / -0
    I agree...

I would still prefer someone with experience. I just don't think he's as bad a manager as people make him out to be.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. woody New Member

woody
    Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    I know this is a big call but the person I'd like to see as the next Tottenham manager is Sherwood himself.

Why? Fantastic knowledge of the game, British, knows the club inside out, great analyser of the game, young.....

He has also worked under some fantastic managers over the years, Harry, Dalglish, George Graham (altho not at Spurs)

possibly Jamie Redknapp as his #2???

Would be great to keep on the British setup but with younger and fresher men in charge.