Kyle Walker right wing, Kaboul right back over Christmas?

Discussion in 'Team Formation' started by Ivanbaruch, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Ivanbaruch New Member

Ivanbaruch
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Harry made the comment last night that: "We had no one who could play wide right to give us the balance we needed,".

But why not play Kyle Walker as right wing with Kaboul at right back?

Younis is arguably a better defender than Kyle. He is strong, quick and has great positional sense. Whenever he has played right back he has excelled. Kyle is a Balesque attacking flanker who could emulate the master giving us amazing skill and pace on both wings.

If we can get Defoe back fit to play alongside Ade then the lack of VDV and Lennon will not be so bad.

What does everyone think? Should we let Harry know?:y16:
  2. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +785 / 3 / -0
    I don't think his final ball is good enough, he is brilliant in defense for us because he has raw pace... however I think the reasoning behind this is to do another 'Bale' move a player from full back to wing...

yeah it worked with Bale, but thats because bale (to me) is a natural winger but was probably put at LB just because he's left footed... he's not the best defensively.

I think having Lennon and Walker (when both fit obviously) is the best answer to our right side, lennon needs that little bit more on his final ball but he's getting better...

basically - if it isn't broken don't fix it
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    I do think that's not a bad call whilst Lennon is injured but that also depends on the fitness of Ledley.
  4. crocop Well-Known Member

crocop
    Ratings:
    +531 / 0 / -0
    yes please....
  5. AmericanHotspur Well-Known Member

AmericanHotspur
    Ratings:
    +2,042 / 0 / -0
    I'd rather Corluka behind Walker tbh. King doesn't look to be fit for Norwich so Kaboul should be at CB.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +2,336 / 16 / -0
  7. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,468 / 38 / -1
    Been saying this for a while.

However he'd need to learn how to play there first.

No skills, well not enough to beat most fullbacks.

But that pace.
  8. Maro New Member

Maro
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    He is not skilled enough to beat the fullbacks indeed. Fair play to him, he faced a good defender most of the time yesterday but his lack of creativity prevented him to attempt to pass Cole. Also, it looks like he feels a lot more comfortable when he has a longer sprint area.

One more thing, if you play as a right winger, you should also move inside the box either to create space for your RB or to create goal chances in the crosses from left wing. I dont see him doing well in crowded areas.

Playing a great RB in RW and a much better CB in RB is worse than playing a great RB in his natural position and add Kranjcar/Pienaar as RW imo
    Maro,
    • Like Like x 4
  9. GoldenSpurs Active Member

GoldenSpurs
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    FA cup match versus Cheltenham might be a good fixture to try this.. The idea is to ease him into the position as the youngsters are eased into the team, but he is already in the first team at RB and it just doesn't make sense to risk his fitness (too many matches) in the middle of the season. Especially since the transfer window will be open and we do have people to play there, namely Townsend, who deserve a chance. I would love to see it though.
  10. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
  11. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    ^^^^This........
  12. boo Staff Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +5,942 / 15 / -0
    whether it's walker or not, the bottom line is that when lennon is out, the team suffers. i wonder if this situation will prompt a move this winter to provide cover for the right side.
    boo,
  13. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,228 / 8 / -0
    True enough, especially against a left side with as much quality as we saw last night.

I will point this out with respect to the Walker at RW argument, though- a lot of the arguments against (lacks the final ball, lacks understanding of when to cut in, can't maneuver through crowded spaces) are awfully reminiscent of what was being said about Bale when we were wondering whether he should switch from LB to LW.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,451 / 36 / -0
    Pienaar should be the one to replace Lennon.
  15. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,468 / 38 / -1
    Fixed for ya
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dustin Well-Known Member

Dustin
    Ratings:
    +2,777 / 16 / -0
    If he did play on the wing he would be very similar to Bale (except on the right). Though he would not be as good. Most notably (as previously mentioned) his delivery is nowhere near what Bale's is. This is no small detail considering that Bale's ability to blow by defenders with pace means nothing if he cannot deliver a tight ball to a striker (or into the far post net). That said, walker's pace is similar and his ball control is not all that far behind what Bale's was a year or so ago. Also Walker has been excellent in his decision making when it comes to controlling the ball and making good passes from an advanced position, usually these are easy passes, but it is nice to see a young player not rush or force the ball forward. So can he play on the wing? Definitely. But the combination of his pace, and somewhat raw skills, makes him more suited for wing back (Just as Bale used to be), but as time goes forward I don't see why he cannot be used on the wing when needed. And as you say, that should have been an option against Chelsea.
  17. Glenjamin Well-Known Member

Glenjamin
    Ratings:
    +590 / 5 / -0
    With some time on the wing in a temporary sense could be good for him. If he gained the ability to beat players with skill aswell as pace and learnt to cross when he drops back to right back with lennons return we have one serious right back!
  18. AJ101 New Member

AJ101
    Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I'm hoping Harry is saying this as he prepares to move for a new player. Walker does like cutting inside though, I don't know where people get the idea he just tries to go on the outside?

He doesn't have anywhere near the technique of Bale though whether from this year, last year or 5 years ago Bale has always had excellent control and power with his left peg.
  19. BrunaSpurs Well-Known Member

BrunaSpurs
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0 / -0
    i think this will become a topic of debate again soon, what with his couple of defensive clangers, personally, i think we could try him on the wing, like jol did with bale, but i think lennon is better anyway and is often hugely underrated by fans..
  20. Snowleopard New Member

Snowleopard
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Walker has been great this season, and yes he has made some mistakes, but he has nevertheless been one of the best right backs in the league this season. He is young and will hopefully improve that side, and if he does he will be absolutely immense, much like Kaboul has been this season, we all knew Kaboul could be ****ing incredible as long as he kept his focus, same thing with Walker, give the kid time!

And yeah Lennon has been impressive this season! Just hope he can stay injury free.
  21. boo Staff Member

boo
    Ratings:
    +5,942 / 15 / -0
    it's been a problem for him recently. in and out the injury room. let's hope he's back til the end of the season now

[​IMG]
    boo,
  22. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    No thanks....he's a defender. His game isn't built around that of a winger. Yes he has pace but his final ball is poor and I don't think he has the proper mindset to be a winger.

Kaboul needs to stay at CB forever
    • Like Like x 4
  23. nssmuckers New Member

nssmuckers
    Ratings:
    +1,512 / 0 / -0
    I just don't know how anyone can watch Walker and think he's a good attacker.

His attacking game is based on athleticism and nothing else. He isn't technically gifted, his delivery is poor, his passing is inconsistent, and his touch is heavy. The only thing he has in common with Bale is athleticism.

With him it's more about having the stamina and pace to always be in a helpful position--to always be an outlet / extra man in attack and to be able to recover and defend.

Defensively he is typically immense though. He's had just one really poor game which he immediately acknowledged and apologized for. Normally his concentration is incredibly good.
  24. GTGio Well-Known Member

GTGio
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0
    I agree with this totally, and i think he would be walcott esq if played further forward as an attacker however i would love to see him being utilised better and maybe something to try pre-season.

Like meantioned his stamina is unbelievable and would say better than bale's. Therefore i think we could have the makeings of a fantastic 3-5-2 team. I know it will probably get ridiculed and il hear the old 'we'd get fookin stuffed in the pl with that' but i think otherwise. When we flood the centre/upper part of the pitch and have as many options and 'types' of players as we do (skilful/clever/stupidly fast/ tough) then we really could cook up a potent combination of players on the park to swamp out any team with the ability to recycle posession and attack for verly long periods of the match. Just like stoke away second half!!! Away at stoke with a 2nd half performance like that was brilliant (even tho we lost) they could not get out of there half for the whole 45mins and therefore were zero threat to us.

Based on current sqaud:

------------------------Friedel----------------------------
    --------Kaboul-----------King------------Dawson----------
    ------------------Parker----------Modric-------------------
    Walker-----------------------------------------------------
    -----------Bale-----------VDV-----------------------Lennon
    ------------------------ADE-------------------------------
  25. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, if anyone actually watches walker for a full match, you can clearly see that this is correct. He needs to adapt his game more as he ALWAYS goes on his right side. Yes he is quick enough to get by him but most of the defenders that I have watched recently have just stood on his right so that he either goes left or loses possession and not once have I see him go on his left.
    Its a bit of a similar situation to bale, albeit walker is more of a defender but if he wants to continue to improve his attacking abilites, he needs to try to use his left foot more.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. BigDub Legend !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +4,451 / 36 / -0
    This. Kaboul needs to stay at CB and Walker needs to get better at defending as a RB. I see both happening.
  27. IH8GOONS New Member

IH8GOONS
    Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    And just as we say that kaboul starts at right back tonight lol ironic
  28. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,549 / 3 / -0
    He's certainly a good back up option to have since Smith is cup tied.

The once in a blue moon appearance is fine with me.