Madrid to get weekend off?

Discussion in 'Europa League Discussions' started by EliteKiller, Mar 23, 2011.

1. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +897 / 1 / -0
    Looks like the Spanish league is 'fixing' things so that their two Champions League teams get the weekend off before the first leg ...

Spanish League Matches Postponed

This would give them a clear advantage and we should protest if this were to go ahead, UEFA should throw Real and Barca out but of course they won't .........
  2. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,661 / 12 / -1
    It would never happen because of Twatters love of Barca.

Anyway the league are free to do whatever they want really.

It is harsh though.
  3. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,193 / 8 / -0
    This is part of a long-running dispute. As I recall, they almost did the same thing back in January, but cooler heads prevailed. Still wouldnt rule out the conspiracy theory though.
  4. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    doesn't really seem to be in line with this whole "fair play" deal right?
  5. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,455 / 0 / -0
    Well, we've played two games after a week or more had passed since their previous game. Made little difference particularly when you look at what happened when we played West Ham and Wolves. Maybe a short rest period would be advantageous for us?
  6. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    sure if it comes that way like ours did. however the FA did not move games for Spurs so they could be rested up more. it just the way the fixtures worked in regards to the cup comps.
  7. AfricazMost New Member

AfricazMost
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The reason for the weekend rest of is due to TV rights dispute and not because the Spanish Football Association is giving Real Madrid a extra few days BUT even if they were there is nothing to complain about. The Football federations are fully within in their right to re-schedule matches as they please even if it is purely so their teams can benefit from it during European competition. The French Football Association does it all the time for their clubs competition in Europe. Lyon were given 2 extra days of rest. As were Marseille when we played them last season during the group stages and before their match against United.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  8. thfcshady27 shady!

thfcshady27
    Ratings:
    +4,041 / 0 / -0
    its just a case of a particular country's FA lookiing after there clubs......its a pity the english FA wouldnt do something similiar but they are more likely to pile on fixtures before a huge european game!
  9. P UNIT 1980 Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT 1980
    Ratings:
    +10,376 / 38 / -1
    Our FA have such a mega bucks deal and RELY on that money BIG TIME that they are in the pocket of the Premier League so deep that they cant do a fookin thing about any type of fixture congestion.

Fook Madrid Barca, Twatini, Fatter and any other fooker. We will smash them anyway.

Even if we dont I am so done with the Champs League now, and we have much much bigger priorities at this critical stage of the season.
  10. Eighteen82 New Member

Eighteen82
    Ratings:
    +962 / 0 / -0
    I feel we perform better when the fixture list is piled up, and not after we've had a rest. Jut gives them an even more relaxed approach to the game, and that's not a good approach when you're facing us.
  11. GRod New Member

GRod
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    sorry but this is not a ploy to give the spanish big 2 time off - sorry but I find it funny that you could think RM would turn to such tactics against your club.
    GRod,
  12. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    How many days difference between the Wigan and the away Real game? 3? If so, that is terrible for us considering traveling and rest. I think the times we did do well in piled up games was because we were on form then, and not because the games were so close to the others.
  13. rudi New Member

rudi
    Ratings:
    +1,961 / 0 / -0
    Although it is noticeable that Barca and RM have switched from being luke-warm over the conflict to becoming rather bellicose when it dawned on them they'd get a week off. Hey, I'd expect nothing less really, I'd hope my club would also do what it could when an advantage floats by...

Won't this break have the silly effect of the final round of games being played mid-June, after the cup, CL etc games have been done and dusted and right in the middle of Internationals? What a daft situation to end up in.
    rudi,
  14. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    Good news for us.

BBC Sport - Football - Court bars Spanish league strike

Spain's league programme will go ahead as planned this weekend after a Madrid court upheld a challenge by six clubs against a proposed strike.

The country's professional league had called for a walk-out in protest over a rule that one match per weekend must be shown free on television.

More to follow.
  15. rudi New Member

rudi
    Ratings:
    +1,961 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, oddly enough it's a victory for the employees rather than the employers. You don't get to see that much nowadays; if the players had gone on strike it would have been legal, but the clubs canot enforce a lock-out, which this would have been, within the law. Nice one, Themis!
    rudi,
  16. Ritz New Member

Ritz
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Spain's league programme will go ahead as planned this weekend after a Madrid court upheld a challenge by six clubs against a proposed strike. The country's professional league had called for a walk-out in protest over a rule that states one match per week must be shown for free on television.
    But clubs including Sevilla and Villarreal mounted a legal challenge against the proposal.
    The strike would have meant the Spanish season being extended by three weeks.
    But the court's ruling means Real Madrid will now face Sporting Gijon on Saturday, three days before their Champions League quarter-final first-leg meeting with Tottenham.
    Spain's Liga de Futbol Profesional (LFP) announced its intention to strike in February as it sought to get the 1997 broadcasting law revoked.
    [​IMG]
    A strike would be disproportionate, inopportune, against the interest of clubs, the competition and supporters and, what's more, against the law

Statement from clubs opposing strike action

The league argued that removing the obligation to show one match on free-to-air television would allow them to negotiate more lucrative deals with pay-TV channels.
    Negotiations with political leaders followed in an effort to find a solution, but the LFP last week reiterated its decision to walk out on the weekend of 2-3 April.
    That prompted the six "rebel" clubs - Sevilla, Villarreal, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Espanyol and Zaragoza - to break ranks and mount a legal challenge.
    They argued the strike would be "disproportionate, inopportune, against the interest of clubs, the competition and supporters and, what's more, against the law".
    Spain's Secretary of State for Sport, Jaime Lissavetzky, also made "a call to reason" for games to be played.
    "The main losers are the citizens and football players because the competition has been extended by about 20 days," he said before the court ruling.
    "I hope common sense prevails, and we maintain our readiness to defend the interests of citizens."
    The strike would have caused the Spanish league season to be extended from the weekend of 21-22 May to 11-12 June.
    Reigning champions Barcelona lead the Spanish title race by five points from rivals Real Madrid with nine matches to go.
    Ritz,
  17. GRod New Member

GRod
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    so much for back room dealings and conspiracies
    GRod,
    • Like Like x 1
  18. steelktm New Member

steelktm
    Ratings:
    +673 / 0 / -0
    haha good point. :)
  19. yid83 New Member

yid83
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    soft lads......
  20. Spurs for Life Active Member

Spurs for Life
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thats great news, hopefully Sporting gijon will be no push overs, i watched Gijon play barcelona recently and they gave em a tough time, not great to watch very stop start but they certainly can frustrate the top teams, fingers crossed.
  21. MagnaThor i got theseeeee cheeessseeburgers mannn

MagnaThor
    Ratings:
    +933 / 54 / -0
    Is the Real-Barca date anywhere near their second leg date at WHL?
  22. luminoir Well-Known Member

luminoir
    Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    French league shifted their fixtures around last year so their UCL clubs would get maximum rest time before their matches. It's in their interest since it gets the french co-efficient up. The FA don't care because england's co-efficient isn't dropping anytime soon