Marcus Edwards

Discussion in 'Player Chat' started by skiathospurs, May 8, 2015.

1. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    [​IMG]

Guess what,He`s one of our own!!
    And he grabbed headlines yesterday ,scoring a "classy winner" for Englands U17s

Winger Edwards, 16, is one of Spurs’ worst kept secrets after he was “outed” by Tim Sherwood in our former head-coach’s column for the Independant last year.Tim Sherwood: People knock young English footballers, but the Under-21s showed there’s talent here. They just need to be given a chance - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Marcus Edwards emerged from the bench at half time to score the only goal as England U17s began their Euro U17 Championship campaign with a 1-0 win over Italy.
    [​IMG]
    article and video of highlights including goal here;
    VIDEO: Spurs wonderkid Marcus Edwards' classy winner for England U17s - The Tottenham Way

Speaking to the FA after the final whistle, Edwards revealed practice for Tottenham’s academy was to thank for the match-winning strike.

“Every Monday at Tottenham we always do a finishing session. We practice different types of finishing – reaction, finishing through legs, all types from different positions,” he said.
    “So when Herbie [Kane] got on the edge of the area, I knew he was going to shoot, so I was ready and made sure I stayed onside.
    “It hit the post and then Stephy’s shot was deflected, so I had to readjust my body when I saw the ball coming.
    “When the ball came to me, I had to put my full concentration into the touch, and then I just had an open goal and finished.
    “It was just the best feeling in the world – but you don’t know what to do with yourself. I was too happy to celebrate.
    “It’s great to just get the three points, but knowing you contributed to them is even better.
    “It’s everything a kid dreams of. I’ve had my eye on getting to the Euros since the beginning of the season, I knew it was coming, so I’ve been working hard and been hoping that I would get into the squad and I’m just so happy to be here.”

Marcus Edwards @marcusedwards__

Unreal feeling to score the winner v Italy. Great team performance [​IMG]#EuroFinals

Hell yeah the `fro is back at spurs!!
    [​IMG]

Good luck lad
    • Like Like x 4
  2. RaleighSpur Well-Known Member

RaleighSpur
    Ratings:
    +2,298 / 37 / -0
    i really hope he lives up to the hype. huge expectations on the kid from the england perspective already.
  3. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    obligatory "Afro Thunder" nickname....
  5. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    Barcelona eye 16-year-old Tottenham Hotspur talent Marcus Edwards as jewel of the future - HITC Sport
    Tottenham Hotspur youngster Marcus Edwards' talent has caught the attention of Barcelona, according to the Spanish press.

Bolavip.com report that the 16-year-old is on the radar of the La Liga champions, with their report stating the club are looking for stars of the future from around the world.

Edwards is part of England's under-17 team, and impressed at the recent European Championships, scoring the winner against Italy.

He has five goals in 18 games for his country, and was hailed by former Spurs boss Tim Sherwood last year in The Independent as one of the best young players he has ever seen.

The central midfielder was the only player on the books of a Premier League club to be listed among Barcelona's potential targets, which also featured French youngster Reine Adelaide of Lens, which The Mail last week linked with a move to Arsenal.

Barcelona's interest is a great compliment for Edwards, who will hope to make the step up to Tottenham's under-21 side next season.
  6. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    Anyone have a sense of how likely this is? Seems a bit early for this, but maybe he's just been that impressive??
  7. CmonyouSpurs Well-Known Member

CmonyouSpurs
    Ratings:
    +1,647 / 0 / -0
    I doubt it, I think it's still a year too early. He isn't even quite a regular for the under 18s yet and technically, at 16, he's a year younger than most of the players he played with & against at the UEFA U17 tournament.

If I had to compare him to Onomah at this stage last year, I'd say Onomah was more ready for the step up to under 21 - he was 17 years old and he was a regular for the U18 side. I think 2015/16 for Edwards will be similar for 2013/14 for Onomah - perhaps we'll see him moved up to the U21s towards the end of the season and then become an U21 regular the year after.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    mate dont you know yet,anyone scores a couple of good goals for england are the next world class player!!
    I doubt very much with their track record and guilty verdict over youth players they could do anything even if they wanted to.It is far to early in this guys career to talk anything about him,must be summer and no match reports to file journo bollox.I just posted the report as usual to show what circulates,most of it I treat with a great deal of sceptism.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +526 / 13 / -0
    This boy is top drawer, can't wait to eventually see him in & around the 1st team squad
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mrtncooke Well-Known Member

mrtncooke
    Ratings:
    +414 / 11 / -0
    Scored from 25 yards with his weaker foot!!! Does anyone think Lamela could do that?
  11. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    Nah he'd probably just rabona it with his strong foot.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. auspur Active Member

auspur
    Ratings:
    +117 / 2 / -0
    Apparently there is great concern from some areas that he won't sign a professional contract with Spurs. I've read that although a gentleman's agreement is in place that means other clubs don't go signing kids to professional contracts before their current club signs them up apparently Edwards is hesitant to actually sign the professional contract with Spurs meaning he would be free to sign elsewhere.
  13. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,335 / 230 / -0
    Did they say why he is hesitant? Does he have that big of an ego where he thinks he's too big for Spurs? If so I would loan him out to a Norwegian team as close to the arctic circle as possible.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    They are welcome to take on Levy to try and poach him!!
  15. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,448 / 87 / -0
    Barcelona are chasing Tottenham defender Marcus Edwards.

The Mirror says Edwards has been talked up as a major talent by former Spurs boss Tim Sherwood.

Spanish clubs have pushed for rule changes to stop English clubs raiding their youth academies.

But now it seems as if Barcelona are ready to try and play Premier League teams at their own game.
  16. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +318 / 8 / -0
    Defender? They really know what they are writing about.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ginola14 Well-Known Member

Ginola14
    Ratings:
    +597 / 4 / -0
    Maybe I am missing something, but why is this wonderkid sitting on the bench for England U17s? Shouldn't a wonderkid be starting and be the star man of his age group? - genuine question.
  18. CmonyouSpurs Well-Known Member

CmonyouSpurs
    Ratings:
    +1,647 / 0 / -0
    He did start 4 out England's 5 games in the tournament. The only game he didn't start was the first match against Italy where he came off the bench and scored the winner.

What makes it all the more impressive is that he's still 1 year younger than the rest of the boys there. If I'm not mistaken he can most likely be involved in next year's England U17 cycle as well.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WiscoSpursFan Active Member

WiscoSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

Kid looks smooth. Looks like a real playmaker type. It is early, but you can see why so many are high on him.
  20. WiscoSpursFan Active Member

WiscoSpursFan
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0

Got another.
  21. Yidly didly Well-Known Member

Yidly didly
    Ratings:
    +1,352 / 10 / -0
    I know this is going to sound like a negative post but it isn't that way implied. More a realistic post. Anyway, the tag wonder kid really irritates me. Rooney was in the Everton first team and scoring goals/not looking out of his depth at 16. Hoddle was scoring goals at 18 and a fixture in the side by the time he was 20. Owen scored at a world cup aged 18. That's wonder kid level.
  22. Yid_1984 Well-Known Member

Yid_1984
    Ratings:
    +1,448 / 87 / -0
    he looks decent..nothing to rave about i think judging from those videos
  23. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    beware the Darren Caskey scenario!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Yidly didly Well-Known Member

Yidly didly
    Ratings:
    +1,352 / 10 / -0
    mate, I just did a google search of 'Tottenham Hotspur wonder kid' and it goes on and on and on, one after the other. Bostock is another.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Don Diaz Well-Known Member

Don Diaz
    Ratings:
    +6,331 / 54 / -0
    Great potential but a long way to go yet.......
  26. BigDub Leg end !

BigDub
    Ratings:
    +5,657 / 45 / -0
    upload_2015-7-21_12-17-20.png
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  27. BlueCrew LA Well-Known Member

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,705 / 16 / -0
    Well I follow youth football. He has been England's best prospect in his age group. So it's important we keep him.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. skiathospurs Moderator

skiathospurs
    Ratings:
    +9,107 / 53 / -1
    • Like Like x 1
  29. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,155 / 30 / -0
    It's undeniable that he does have similarities with Messi. So often we see these absurd comparisons with players being labeled "the next" so and so. But regardless of what Edwards potential may or may not be, in pure playing style, he is very Messi like.
  30. Lilywhite74 Well-Known Member

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +5,249 / 12 / -0
    Yeah, comparing someone's style to another is different to saying they're the same quality, perfectly reasonable to compare without saying he's the "next" so-and-so. Anyway, kid looks pretty good to me, and he'd be wise to stick around given the youth first policy in place right now.