Matthijs De Ligt

Discussion in 'Transfer News' started by USspur, May 21, 2018.

1. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    18 year old right footed center back playing for Ajax. Height: 188cm (6'2). Weight: 89kg (196 lb).
    Broke into Ajax first team last year, but was not a regular. This year, however, he has featured in most of the games (33 appearances, 3 goals, 2 assists, 8 yellow cards).

Full bio write up: Who is Matthijs de Ligt? Ajax youngster on the radar of Manchester City and Tottenham

No thread on him, but we are (allegedly) locked in a bidding war with city.

Fortunately, about a month ago, he stated that he is not in it for the money and recognizes that he already makes a lot more money than the average person.

2. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    One would think our relationship with Ajax would give us a major advantage over any other club.

City dont need a CB and he'd be foolish to go there
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    We're already at 52 million pounds for this fellow (60 million Euros)? Man! Sanchez was already Ajax's player of the season when we bought him (for considerably less). I guess de Ligt is getting a major premium based on his age.
  4. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    If you think about it, the price really isnt that big of a deal in my eyes if we manage to sign De Ligt.

If we did we'd then have our CB pairing set for say the next 5/6 years, easily. Maybe even longer if they intend to stay well into their 20s. You add Foyth into that equation and we're set so theoretically we wont have to spend any money on CBs for the next 7/8 years.
  5. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    I think it’s a mistake to assume de Ligt is a can’t miss signing. I’ve thought that about players who were more accomplished and been burned.

This is a huge amount of money and I’m not sure it’s the best use of our resources. If we’re going to spend big on a player, I’d like it to be a CM.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Let’s assume Levy and Poch had “the talk” and let’s all assume it went well considering Poch is still the manager....therefore this is a Poch signing or more precisely a target of his choosing, that means we must trust that this guy, whatever the cost, is part of the plan....manager is obviously happy perusing the player and the chairman is obviously happy to pay for it, so as fans we have got to trust it’s the right decision....
  7. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    This is not a fan philosophy I buy into—that the chairman and manager always know best and therefore their decisions are always ones I should trust.

I deeply respect Levy and Poch and am incredibly happy they are running the club. But I will still absolutely point out when I think they’re making a mistake.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I think this is what Pochettino meant when he said we need to be brave. We can't just go after the safe workhorses anymore. And yes, we all can voice our opinions, but actually I'm glad it's his decision and not mine.

As for the CM, I agree. But if getting full up with CBs allows us to play a back three then we've more or less accomplished the same thing. I'm still hoping that there's something to the Rabiot story though.
  9. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +433 / 17 / -0
    Sorry, but i'm in the boat whereby CM represents the biggest priority. If blowing £55m on a CB with bags of potential means we're reliant on Winks, Wanyama, Sissoko and Dembele, the latter who is a beast but is undoubtedly showing signs of decline as he gets older and for whom fitness is an issue, then I'd give De Ligt a miss and save the cash.

CM is the position where we would benefit most. Jan and Davison Sanchez are a solid partnership that will only get better in time. As for going 3 at the back, if one of those 3 got injured we'd only revert to 4-2-3-1 anyway...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    We undoubtably need a new CM, but I'd be astonished if that wasn't in the plans too. I don't think it's an either/or. Talk of Wanyama going makes it more certain. I'm thinking Pochettino's plan is to make our deep midfield more involved in attack, which it totally is not with Dier and Wanyama. We need better passing and a better long range shooting from that position.
  11. HenryHotspur Well-Known Member

HenryHotspur
    Ratings:
    +433 / 17 / -0
    Agreed, we move the ball waaaay too slow at the moment at the base of our midfield. I think we would need to raise quite a bit in funds from player sales to be able to fund moves for a top class CB and CM though. We shall see!
  12. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Just because we may purchase a Centre half for around 50 million doesn’t mean we aren’t gonna but other players as well, and considering Alderweireld is probably going for around the same kind of money, give or take, it’s a no brainer we need to buy a Centre half..
  13. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    If we sell Toby we will buy a CB. But it doesn’t mean we’ll spend 50 million pounds on one.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    But it is nice to think we are at least trying to replace like for like for a change....don’t get me wrong tho, if this is our one big purchase of the summer I’d be seriously disappointed because there are defiantly other priorities, but if it’s just a case of replacing a Centre half with another then I’m good with that.
  15. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    We made £145 million off the league this season, we'll have plenty of other purchases this summer
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Yep, this transfer (if it really is a possibility) is just replacing Toby, without any real money changing hands.....the real big money will be spent elsewhere, I’m liking the possibility of Bale returning for one..
  17. Thyophelis Active Member

Thyophelis
    Ratings:
    +329 / 37 / -0
    last year I was wrongly not that keen on Sanchez because I tought de ligt was alot less error prone and the better option. But this year I don t see the point of buying such a young cb for that kinda monney. We got alot of pretty decent talent in the U21 s and I cerrtainly hope 1 of them is gona make it und Pocchs guidance. Then we have CCV and Foyth, I just don t see many opportunities for all those youngsters, I would rather we go for someone more experienced and less expensive for them to learn from.
  18. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    Or just keep Toby who is all of the above!
  19. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    There’s currently no CBs coming through who are good enough to make it into our squad

CCV will most likely leave in 18 months. The contract extension is to ensure we get a decent fee for him

Poch most likely has seen Foyth a lot and sees him as someone who could fight for a regular place in our squad in 2/3 seasons

You also have to factor in Vertonghen and his contract situation. I’d give him maybe 3 more seasons.

De Ligt is going to be one of those players that IMO will be a top class player. £50 million for that kind of player in today’s market is a no brainer because he’ll likely be worth double that by the time Vertonghen leaves us
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Thyophelis Active Member

Thyophelis
    Ratings:
    +329 / 37 / -0
    I think Tanganga looks promissing. And Walkes has been getting rave reviews during his loan spell. They might not be every weeks starter material, but could develop to squad members if they get opportunities now and then. I m just not very keen to see our centreback pairing if Vertonghen gets injured and we only have young talent to replace him, altought their speed might help us with the highline, something that makes Dier not that well suited to play as cb for us. I really missed our back 3 line ups this year, but do we really wanna risk it when 2 of those have very little experience? But hey, Pocch was talking about taking risks :) and I have total faith in him.
  21. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,360 / 60 / -0
    Can I just ask why we’d spend 55 mil on a guy who will most likely be a back up?? I guess if we went primarily with a back 3 he’d start, but I don’t see him beating out Jan and Sanchez in a back 4. I’d tather see big money on CM player or a striker.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Thyophelis Active Member

Thyophelis
    Ratings:
    +329 / 37 / -0
    probably because he will be a starter in a few years. He is incredibly talented, I tought he was more mature at 18 then Sanchez. Very intelligent, good on the ball, agile, fairly quick. Basicly the full package at a very young age. I just don t think he is what we need for the comming season.
  23. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0
    He is well worth 55mil. He is a really classy player. Question is will Levy pay it? Also, if we have to move Toby, it has to be out of the PL. Selling him to United makes them instant contenders. Levy has to start thinking a bit more strategically, and less about the bottom line.
  24. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    Tanganga would.be my option kind of potential name

Walkes is gone this summer

De Ligt is lightyears ahead of these guys and were really no longer a club to just have your random youth player in the squad if they’re not pulling up trees for the u23s
  25. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,360 / 60 / -0
    I'm not disputing whether or not he is a good player. I'm asking if he can beat out Jan or Sanchez. If he can't, then why splash that kind of cash
  26. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,025 / 28 / -0
    Because Poch wants to play 3 5 2 regularly

We got away from it when Toby got injured
  27. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Yeah, the whole thing changes when you go from wanting top 4 to wanting to win the league. To win the league we've got to be better than Man City (!). Everyone insists we win trophies so our sights have to go up on who we buy. We've done incredibly well nibbling around, but we can't go farther doing that. That's what Pochettino was saying in his throw-down. Now we need to get the best. We can't be buying Neymar but we probably can afford the best of the young players and De Ligt seems to be that. And we will need him. Jan could be going down hill any time now.
  28. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 35 / -0

Either we pay 50 mil for him now, or 80 mil for him in 2 years. If we want these kids of players we need to sign them a bit earlier than the money clubs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,360 / 60 / -0
    Thats a fair point
  30. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,360 / 60 / -0

Anyone want to try and decipher what the hell he is trying to say?