Mls

Discussion in 'Away team dugout' started by DasAlterEgo, Apr 21, 2008.

1. DasAlterEgo New Member

DasAlterEgo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I know there's a few Americans on here - who follows what team? anybody?

I used to be a NY/NJ Metrostars fan (before they underwent the Red Bull change) - I remember watching a 16-year-old Eddie Gaven scoring the winner in overtime in some regular season game (they had that rule for a bit, yes) after coming in as the extra GK sub (weird rule - 4th sub was allowed if it's a GK, Gaven came on for Leitch, I think, a defender/mid, went into goal for 30 seconds, then switched back with Tim Howard. That rule is no more, btw).

Not much for NY anymore - their new strip and name kills me, ugly as. Jozy Altidore is a good young player though.

I'll be supporting Seattle when they become an MLS team next year - looking forward to it.
  2. ybatman New Member

ybatman
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like Chivas USA. I never got in the bandwagon due to Beckham with Galaxy
  3. LukaModric2010 New Member

LukaModric2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    fc dallas
    i went to a game once actually
    against colorado
    they arent that bad
  4. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    Columbus Crew for me
  5. THFCWill i love mister ed and can not lie lol

THFCWill
    Ratings:
    +974 / 0 / -0
    I watch MLS and late night hockey quite alot actually. There are some really decent footballers in some of the teams...theres a striker for Chivas USA i think and he looks really handy, he has long hair but i dunno his name.

I kinda support LA Galaxy cus they are on alot of the time and Beckham is there.
  6. LukaModric2010 New Member

LukaModric2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    u see the mls all stars vs west ham
    3-2 mls
  7. DasAlterEgo New Member

DasAlterEgo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I actually only watched the highlights of the MLS All-Star Game - I've rather gotten sick of the league, don't ask me why. Waiting for Seattle to come into it, really only follow results, not games now.
    Watching is reserved for Australia, Spurs and occasionally US nat games.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  8. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    I predicted that either USA or China would win the world cup before 2020.

Think about the vast volume of individuals you have to choose from, it just makes sense that in there ther must be naturally tallented individuals who would blow the game appart of a world stage.

In terms of China they will achive alot as they are motivated by honour for their country, and pretty much forced to strive for excelence in what ever they do.

I know this ahs got bugger all do to with MLS but all I know about that is that Becks went there to earn silly dough playing for a prety mediorcre club, even by the leagues standards.

You guys did a fantsatic job when you hosted the world cup (94 i think) and i a m suprised that it didnt totally kick start a sporting phenomenon across the entire US.

I think if your country hosted another major event it could happen, but because of what has gone on politically i dont fancy ya chances any time soon of getting that chance.

Maybe if USA do well in a world cup and the country gets right behind them it could work, and i hope it does.

Anyways nothing to do with MLS but hey, bored at work and felt like contributing.
  9. Berbagol89 New Member

Berbagol89
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For me LA Galaxy.. Beckham is still pure class
  10. MyGoula New Member

MyGoula
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I just can't get into the MLS even though the quality on the pitch is okay the venues are really poor as well as the commentary also I think that they should get rid of the Bloddy playoffs and use the other US league not sure what it is as a second division and have a relegation system not to mention get rid of the Salary cap and they need to pay their players more some of them only make like £10 K a year shocking I know and can't even afford cars
  11. LukaModric2010 New Member

LukaModric2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    the mls has actually come along way
    and if you had the religation thing then you wouldsee more homegrown americans playing as they would get time to develop. this could help national team in turn
  12. Havocc Well-Known Member

Havocc
    Ratings:
    +2,798 / 22 / -3
    Some people think in twenty years MLS playes may dominate world soccer

They have such excellent youth programs with scholerships etc....

That is why Americans dominate most sports that the compete in..
  13. P UNIT Tha Mac Daddy Pimp Mo Fo Super Moderators

P UNIT
    Ratings:
    +10,471 / 38 / -1
    They dominate because the have an enormous demographic to cherry pick players from.

Our country is a titchy island in comparrison to them China Russia.

They with time should be the best there is full stop.
  14. phil_style New Member

phil_style
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I follow Toronto FC from a distance. A couple of Kiwi players have singed for them so that's the main reason. Other reason is I support anything Toronto due to my neighbour (from Toronto) being a Mad Leafs fan (and a Spurs fan).
  15. ahab New Member

ahab
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Colorado Rapids for me. Fans are great and the stadium is top notch, except for the name. Of course they didn't do too well this season but going to the games are always fun.

But for some reason I enjoy watching women football a lot more. They play the game because they love it, not for the pay or lack of it. Keeping my finger crossed the WUSA gets off the ground.
    ahab,
  16. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    Columbus Crew... live a few hours from there.
  17. cracker jack ivy New Member

cracker jack ivy
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    H O U S T O N D Y N A M O
    Dale, Dale, Dale Dynamo! Forever Orange!

2 MLS Cups in our first 2 years says a lot. It's too bad things fell apart in our second leg against NY in the playoffs (which, I agree, is a system they need to do away with).

The US market for pro soccer and just the way the two leagues are designed and operated wouldn't allow for a promotion-relegation format -- at least not any time soon.

MLS however, is growing exponentially, and the quality talent in USL often makes its way to the bigger of the two leagues. In any case, with competitions like the CONCACAF Champions League and the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, there's been competition in between the two leagues.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  18. ahab New Member

ahab
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just got this email. Thinking about going.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"U.S. NATIONAL TEAM HEAD COACH BOB BRADLEY NAMES ROSTER IN FINAL PREPARATION[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]FOR THIS WEDNESDAY's FIFA WORLD CUP QUALIFIER IN DENVER vs. GUATEMALA

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The USA has locked up first place in Group 1 of the Semifinal Round of FIFA World Cup qualifying and will advance to next year's Final Round. Either Guatemala or Trinidad & Tobago will also advance, based on Wednesday night's results. The Guatemalans, trailing T&T by three points in the group standings, must win and rely on a loss by the Soca Warriors against visiting Cuba in order to move on. Any other combination of results will see Trinidad & Tobago join the Americans in the Final Round.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]USA Roster
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Matt Pickens (out of contract)
    DEFENDERS (6): Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Cory Gibbs (Colorado Rapids), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution)
    MIDFIELDERS (5): Freddy Adu (AS Monaco), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), John Thorrington (Chicago Fire)
    FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Davy Arnaud (Kansas City Wizards), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire)"

If I can't go hopefully they'll show it on TV.

ahab
    [/FONT]
    ahab,
  19. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see there aren't any Crew or Red Bulls players getting the call.
  20. books New Member

books
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    dc united fan here. Waiting for Portland Timbers to get the nod, as I am a proud member of the Timber Army.
  21. Spursian Member

Spursian
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Big fan of DC Utd, was gutted when Freddy Addu left!!! Thought he was good for DC! However, I think the MLS have hit the nail on the head when it comes to salaries and youth policy!!! I think the British system has a lot to learn but never admit to learning from the US!?!?!?

I think that if the Salrary Cap came in, there would be better competition in the EPL and the 'big 4' would fear it as well as reject it (non-mover), but it's a dream for me!
  22. SJquakesfan New Member

SJquakesfan
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    been a fan of san jose since the clash days, 1996

we're crap right now, hopefully frank and john will turn it around soon
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  23. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +724 / 0 / -0
    Up the Sounders!!

Seattle's my team, but we have sort of lagged since a great start. Hopefully we can pick it up!
  24. SJquakesfan New Member

SJquakesfan
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well the quakes need a win, and it will be great to pick up one against the lime soccer team, although we're missing a few players to international duty
  25. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +724 / 0 / -0
    Ya, luckily, we have almost no international players, but they are still mostly quality.
  26. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    I notice Kasey plays for Seattle these days, how's he doing? Always thought he was a decent enough goalie for Spurs but didn't have much of a chance once Robbo arrived
  27. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +724 / 0 / -0
    He is absolutely fantastic. The best keep by a long shot in the MLS imo. He keeps us in every game and makes some brilliant saves.
  28. LukaModric2010 New Member

LukaModric2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    fc dallas are stinking the place up
    but i still love kenny cooper
  29. SJquakesfan New Member

SJquakesfan
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm hearing san jose may be looking at getting sol campbell when the window opens on july 15
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  30. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,231 / 8 / -0
    haha- so much for being Spurs' sister club then