Moaning and inaccurate too

Discussion in 'International' started by basskadet, Jun 7, 2010.

1. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    I'm gradually reaching my wit's end with some of the moaning & negative reporting going on &, worst of all, half of it is completely incorrect!!!

We love to complain so much, we are making up facts to moan about. I've heard people complaining that, because Walcott is not in the team, we now do not have pace on the wing, I've heard people say that King & Terry are not a balanced CB pairing as they are both right-footers & again that they are both too slow!!!

Hang about! I think that Lennon is actually quicker than Walcott, certainly with a ball at his feet

When has pace ever been a problem with Ledley King & since when was he right-footed? He's good with both feet but Ledley has always been predominantly left-footed.

Everyday I watch SSN to hear some supposed 'expert' make a point using facts that are completely inaccurate &, worse, nobody even corrects them!!

After the warm up game today Terry Butcher said how Defoe scored but that was his only touch in the whole 45min!! Utter rubbish! Defoe not only touched the ball plenty but he used it well, he had anther cracking shot from long-range that just missed the post & he almost set-up Crouch on 2 occasions, he held the ball up several times & he attempted to chip the goal-keeper, altho the least said about that the better!

If we are going to complain, can we at least get the facts right
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gazza Well-Known Member

gazza
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 3 / -0
    bass thank you for watching all the games and revealing the truth :)
  3. Luke0405 New Member

Luke0405
    Ratings:
    +543 / 0 / -0
    Bass you speaking about the forum talk or you referring to fans and pundits in the real world?

Know what you mean though, I'm getting tired of defending King & Dawson from the guys at work:eek:10:
  4. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    Not on the forum, but on Sky, on talkSPORT, etc.

I had to turn the radio off just now they were talking such complete nonsense and trying to whir everyone into a negative frenzy.

So we did not play wonderful football in our last 3 friendlies, so flipping what. I'm actually THRILLED about the way our last 3 games have gone, they could not have gone better in my opinion, & here's why:

These are not typical friendlies. Do we really think going out & thrashing a team 6-0 & playing party football would actually benefit us in any way? So Mexico, Japan & even the Platinum Stars gave us a bit of a runaround, we'll be all the fitter after that than we would've been if we had just kept possession. These games are about preparation, playing together & learning about our team & where we are. Keeping possession, scoring lots of goals & being generally brilliant, especially against lower grade opposition, does not do any of that, it teaches us NOTHING & does not benefit us in any way.

In 2006 we played Jamaica in our final warm up, Crouch scored a hat-trick & we won 6-0 with a great performance. Everyone watched that & said we'd win the World Cup & Crouch would be robo-dancing his way to the Golden Boot! We went to the tournament & we were AWFUL & Crouch only got 1 goal. We got so much more out of all of these warm up games than we ever did that day against Jamaica.

I've watched loads of the friendlies & the other teams have hardly been amazing. Spain only just won their games against Korea & Saudi Arabia, both 1-0 with last minute goals. France got beaten by China & Italy drew 1-1 with Switzerland.

However, we STILL won ours. Winning is still important for our confidence but we don't get over-confident & the game against Japan was brilliant for that, coming back from behind and everything.

People just do not look at things the right way & I've not only heard people complaining about our recent performances but also about stuff that has not even happened yet!! Some people I was listening to the other day were moaning because they did not think England would win the group!!! How can you moan about that?? Do they know the future?

Its crazy. We are playing with a funny ball at really high altitude. Especially today, had we just retained possession against the Stars, we simply would not have achieved anything & that is the problem with letting the public watch training games as we expect stuff which the team & Fabio do not. It was a good work out for the boys today, both our strike partnerships scored, we got more used to the ball & the conditions as the game progressed.

I've heard some say that the 1st half was a shambles - that's an over reaction if ever I heard one. We scored a great goal in the 3rd minute & showed what we could do when required. The idea is not to then go hell-for-leather & score another 3, but pick up several injuries & have players pass out with altitude sickness! No, we got a goal ahead, so we keep ourselves fit, we don't take unnecessary risks & we just get used to the conditions & the players alongside us. Had they got a goal, like that penalty, then I'm sure we would've pressed a bit more for a second but it was not needed. That penalty was an absolute joke anyway & the ref was even laughing when he awarded it!

Its getting on my wick. All that matters is that we go out & do the business against USA &, if we fail to do that, instead of moaning about it we should concentrate on getting it right against Algeria. The time for moaning is AFTERWARDS when we've been knocked out, certainly not in the middle of the competition & absolutely DEFINITELY not before it has even started!

And, if we are going to moan, can people at least make sure they are moaning about facts that actually exist!
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  5. hotspur1960 Active Member

hotspur1960
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Two good posts bass and as i listen to talksport at some time during the day i completely agree with what you say.
    I still think there's too many gooners and dippers on sky and they tend to slag off
    our yids more than other teams players.
  6. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,230 / 8 / -0
    This business about Walcott is crazy- as an American, if I wasn't also a Spurs supporter, I would MUCH rather us have to face Walcott.

Lennon is a far better, smarter, and more complete player, and he's faster than the scummer IMO. I have actually seen some pundits during the season point out that when Lennon's fit he's unplayable- the fooker just runs around you, and that's that. I can't see where leaving Walcott was a mistake on the part of your manager.

A lot of this stuff (not playing together well, wacky ball, corrupt referee, etc) is just due to downtime, searching for storylines before the games start.
  7. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    Aaahhhh f*ck what the 'experts' say. :eek:21:

If anything, it only makes our lads' international successes and victories (which are visual rather than just speculated) all the more sweeter to see because it completely shuts those pundits up when they see it.

Spurs 5 - 0 Arsenal.
    Lennon 1 - 0 Walcott

Enough said.
  8. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    Well, the cup being in South Africa will no doubt mean that much of this terrible, negative nonsense back here in England won't actually filter thru to the squad, especially with Fabio about. The team are in the middle of nowhere & the press are not allowed to swan around our camp in the same way as they were in Germany. So I don't think that it will effect us too bad but if they do pick up on the general vibe then I actually think it might help us.

We are much better as the underdog. As we proved in Germany 2006, we don't do 'favourites' very well at all. Everyone got so carried away in the run-up to 2006 & felt so let down after England fluffed their lines, I reckon it has a lot to do with how we are being so negative this time around.

However, rather than putting pressure on our players, I think it will take the pressure off a little bit because, as Englishmen, we seem to do better when everybody expects us to fail.

Fabio has already shown that he can turn negative expectation into a positive performance on the pitch when it really matters after England looked a bit poor in a few friendlies leading up to our important WC Qualifiers & everyone started saying how we had no chance & how we would be embarrassed by the Croatians as we left for Zagreb & we played brilliantly & won 4-1 away from Home.
  9. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    OMG, I've heard it all now!

They were just saying on talkSPORT how, if Paul Scholes had answered England's call, he would've been perfect to fulfil the HOLDING ROLE in our midfield??
  10. rudi New Member

rudi
    Ratings:
    +1,961 / 0 / -0
    I'm more concerned you're going to break the exclamation button on your keyboard, Bass. :)

It's all just fluff, the phoney war, filling up space before there's actually something to talk about. I'm spending my spare time away from the radio if possible (although I'm rubbish at it, being an info junkie); internet p0rn's a good way to kill time, I find. There'll be more than enough to fill my days with when it starts, especially as I gave myself the entire World Cup off today, so I've only three days of work to get through... Yyyyyeah baby. :)
    rudi,
  11. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,312 / 2 / -0
    Polishing your vuvuzela are you? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gazza Well-Known Member

gazza
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 3 / -0
    lennon is already proven for england he works well with the team, his crossing is good which improves other players. walcott has bad delivering and he is slower with the ball, he has lost much of his confidence from his days as a southampton player
  13. gomes4life Active Member

gomes4life
    Ratings:
    +199 / 0 / -0
    terry butcher is a pundit? dear god. that retard was a manager for one of the club teams in australia a few years ago. and did a horrible job
  14. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,230 / 8 / -0
    well if he could blow it, he'd never leave the house.
  15. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    Well done Basskadet , I've enjoyed reading your insightful comments , I too heard that comment by Bitcher , sorry Butcher , and thought , WHAT !! ??

SSN could do a lot worse than employ you , I promise .

Keep it coming .
  16. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +1,458 / 5 / -0
    Pundits and the press will inevitably find something wrong with everything.
    Like you said Bass, if we'd gone out and won by a landslide against Mexico, Japan and Platinum Stars, they be talking about how we're going to win the World Cup.

The Walcott thing's hilarious though. Its like they've forgotten that Lennon's even in the squad. I mean, even if they done rate Lennon as highly as Walcott, surely they can't deny Lennon has pace!

King isn't exactly too slow. He's lost a yard of pace with the injury, but I still wouldn't call him slow. Plus, I thought Rio Ferdinand was right footed...might be wrong, but i'm sure he is, so we would have had two right footers anyway. King's always played on the left side of the centre back pairing for Spurs, so he's definatly not going to have any trouble there.
  17. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    Rio is right-footed Dancubus, you're correct

What's weird tho is that altho Terry is also right-footed, he prefers the left CB position for England, meaning King has to play on the right. I'm sure Terry's played on the right side for Chelsea more often than not but I could easily be wrong.

So, now we have an actual left-footer & a right-footer at the back, they're playing on the wrong sides!! Luckily, Ledders is pretty good with both feet & I thought he looked good against the Stars, despite all this drama the press are shouting.

I actually read an article last night (altho I gave up after the 1st paragraph), written by a certain newspaper's CHIEF SPORTS WRITER, that called Crouchy a Giraffe & Heskey a Heffalump & Terry & King cheaters, which he hilariously corrected himself with cheetahs.

That's right, insult the players - that will help us win the World Cup. I think they ought to be far more worried about the standard of English journalism than the standard of our national football team
  18. Craiglistee New Member

Craiglistee
    Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    One key reason why England's national team is so bad is to do with the press and every Englishman. There is too much pressure placed on them versus teams like South Korea where the press actually gets behind them. This is a huge problem and manifests itself in a loss of confidence. Look at your goalkeepers! Its ridiculous, I don't remember a goalkeeper after Peter Shilton not screwing up in a WC.

Another thing is how the domestic players play like its in the English league! Its like watching the old Premiership where teams like newcastle gets trashed by Juventus all the time simply because they cannot handle the continental game. It is honestly painful to watch.

I really think Joe Hart should be number ONE! Players should be in the team due to merit as Walcott's exclusion has shown. I do like how Milner was taken off early to avoid getting sent off. Rooney looks a shadow of his Man Utd self.

Good luck Englishmen. Also, the stupid horns they are blowing at the WC are extremely irritating.
  19. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    Craig, I completely agree - altho I think it is much deeper than that. It is not just about the pressure we put on them because they are professionals & should be able to handle pressure, but it is the public humiliation we insist on dishing out over every single little thing.

We might do 1 good thing & 1 not so good thing & everyone in England then ignores the former & focuses on the latter with increasingly rude & unnecessary comments. It is so pointless & all it serves is to tell the 'team' that they are not good enough.

We then seem to pick 1 player who can then do no wrong & we make the whole thing about them - it was Beckham last time & Owen the time before him & this time it is Rooney. Rooney was 1 of our worst players against the USA yet instead of saying that he was a disappointment people prefer to criticise Heskey when he was actually pretty good.

The problem with putting Hart in goal is simply experience. There is no doubt in my mind that he is the best keeper of the 3 but there is always the chance, no matter how good the keeper, that they do a "Robert Green". Thing is, Green is older & has a bit more experience & it will not effect him too bad. A player like Hart tho, it could wreck his whole career. Big things were once expected of Scott Carson, who had had a great season before making his England competitive debut against Croatia. I think the point there is pretty obvious.

Hart needs to be broken in gently for both him & England to really benefit from his talent. He might have skill in between the sticks, but experience at this level is vital also - knowing when to come for a cross & when not to, when to punch, to have full command over your defenders, when to stick someone on the post, organising a wall, proper distribution and when to hang onto the ball & when to launch an attack - and so on and so forth. Hart is not necessarily lacking in these departments but the propensity for him to make little errors in big games & subsequently lose confidence is much greater than either James or Green, even tho he is the 'better' goalkeeper.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Lilywhite74 Moderator

Lilywhite74
    Ratings:
    +4,230 / 8 / -0
    I agree with everything that has been said, obviously I follow your media pretty closely, and England are always set up for failure by the hype.

But it's only fair to say that players in other nations, Italy, in particular, deal with similar bullshite, and deal with it quite well, in a lot of international tournaments.

No question, though, the English media need to at least let the patient die before performing the autopsy.

Very good point about Robert Green, by the way, bass.
  21. basskadet VIP Member Moderator

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,141 / 38 / -0
    The thing I really wish we would not do, which other countries don't seem to do, is not only constantly pinning all our hopes on 1 particular player but our determination & belief that that is the thing to do.

We always pick a player, usually long before the tournament & before he has really shown himself a force in such a big tournament, and then not only imply but publicly state that we have no chance without that player. We've built Rooney up for years just so he could be the person we all pin our hopes on & I don't understand why we do that. We have plenty of players who, when they are in the League, we ar quite happy to sing their praises but at International level they become anonymous in the media shadow of our latest superhero - a superhero who almost always inevitably falls a little short.

Beckham in 2006, Owen in 2002, Shearer in 1998, Gazza in 1990 (I know people will claim he did well but he did not really play that well until the QF). I just think we should pay the team more respect &, if we are to laud 1 particular player, wait until aat least after the 1st game once they have earned the right for praise.