Modric apologises to Spurs fans

Discussion in 'Players Lounge' started by basskadet, Feb 8, 2018.

1. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    Luka Modric apologises to Spurs fans for the manner of his departure

Well, well, well. I doubt it will go too far in getting any actual forgiveness, but in my mind it ought to. Players leave football clubs in contentious ways ALL THE TIME but when have you EVER heard one come out and publicly apologise for the manner of their departure, particularly whilst they are still actually playing?

Look, it doesn't get away from 'that' letter he published in the Mail (Danny Rose eat your heart out, son) but Luka has shown his continued affection for Spurs repeatedly in the last year or 2. Nevertheless, to actually recognise that, whilst it was his dream to join Real Madrid, the way in which he went about it was not the best and that he upset a lot of people in the process is pretty big of him in my book. I think if he had just stayed quiet, pushed for his big move behind closed doors & just made it clear, at the time, that he loved Spurs but joining Madrid was a boyhood dream he can't turn down many fans would find it hard to begrudge him that.

To be honest, although the way he departed for Madrid left a bitter taste, it was the whole Chelsea nonsense the summer before which really put my nose out of joint. At that time he had only just signed an extended contract at Spurs and he came out with this huge speech about how he loves the club, how much he owes Spurs, how much 'loyalty' means to him and how committing himself to clubs for long contracts is part of who he is . . . And then within a transfer window or 2 he publishes a letter in the press demanding Spurs let him go, on the cheap, to one of our biggest London rivals!!!! Really??? It's difficult to come back from that and, for many Spurs fans, he didn't. He was "rat boy" from that day on. For me, I did get over it for a while because he was just such a wonderful player for us, he scored that wonder-goal against Liverpool and had a decent season overall, especially when compared with some of the other players who have pushed for moves only to be forced to stay. However, for him to worm his way back only to immediately kick off again the following window when Real Madrid came sniffing, that was too much for me. Had the Chelsea nonsense never happened, had he said "I just cannot go there" and THEN gone to Madrid, I don't think I could be too miffed about that, but that's not what happened.

Anyway, it is nice to hear him say sorry, it really is. He is still a little rat-boy, but I say it with a bit more affection again now, pinching his cheek and giving his hair a ruffle!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / 33 / -0
    I was never really down on Modric. He always gave his all on the pitch, had his performances dipped after the Chelsea stuff I would dislike him I guess. I'm probably biased and forgive too easy cause he was my favourite player to watch.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    Yeah, I'm kinda the same to be honest. I never really begrudged Luka his big move but, as he himself now admits, it was the way he did it (& particularly off the back of his declarations of loyalty and so on when he signed his contract extension, it did feel like he was taking the piss a bit). However, I too got over it once he began playing again. I know some Spurs fans never could forgive him, & I fully understand why. I definitely felt let down when, after having gone through the Chelsea nonsense and then getting many of the fans & the club back onside, he went & threw his toys out the pram all over again as soon as Madrid got involved, with Modric pulling a "Mahrez" on us.

But, unlike many Spurs fans, I was never really angry with Modric . . . I was just disappointed! (I've always wanted to say that!) That's why his apology does mean something for me. It can be very easy to say "sorry" sometimes, but I kind of think that now, having left us all the way back in 2012 and with everyone having moved on there really is no need for him to apologise unless he actually means it, unless he genuinely feels sorry about it all, and I don't think I've heard too many footballers so candidly express their regret to a former club after their departure.
  4. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,790 / 49 / -0
    He didnt have to make those comments, it shows he still thinks of the club with affection, and in this day and age of so called superstars earning millions of pounds thats something.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,611 / 43 / -0
    All is forgiven Luka. I for one never really begrudged him after he got over not being sold to Chelski. His last season with us was really good, he gave it all on the pitch and won a lot of us fans back. When Madrid came calling, I didn't resent him and said to myself, OK. you've done your part with us and we failed to get back to the CL cos' of some late season implosion and bad luck of Chelski winning the Cup and denying us a place in the CL. I'm glad he's won everything at a club level at Madrid (even though I despise that club) and if he decides to ever come back (which I get the feeling is the case) he'd be more than welcome to put on the lillywhite shirt once more. Once a Yid, always a Yid. Except that front bum Sol of course...
  6. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,313 / 78 / -0
    He never bothered me at all. He did to us what we have done to other clubs' players and will continue to do. Things can always be handled better when looked back upon but the apology is a nice touch.
    Dave,
  7. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    No need for an apology - it was great to see his sublime skills in a Spurs shirt.
  8. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    His leaving for Madrid wasn't a problem for me. The Chelsea tantrum was a little disappointing.

I have a friend who see's him quite regularly in Madrid. He still speaks very fondly of Spurs.

I had my friend tell him some months ago that "it would be great to see him & Bale back at Spurs for the opening of the NWHL".
    He simply smiled & winked back as he was walking away.
  9. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    I don't hold grudge against him. But I say it because for me he was another soldier in the line for Spurs. From emotional perspective just another brick in the wall. Sure he was talented brick at that and he helped a team a lot, but he is nowhere near something you could call "Spurs legend". Just soldier who plays for money and personal gains and that is it.

I might give him more credit than "another soldier in the line" if say this "one summer earlier" fuzz would have been also about Real. If he would have pushed then to get to Madrid and left window later, I could believe that "it was his dream move, though he really loved it in Spurs as well" but this affair with Chelsea just proved that he did not care about the club that much. He would have left for any team that just offered more cash to him personally, hence he was only guided by his own interests. He played well after the Chelsea schenaningans for himself - so that next window some other big club would come in for him.

And for that I don't hate him - we all have our personal goals and preferences, it is natural. But I also do not love him, like I love Kane. A player who comes out and says he actually loves the club and actually proves that he means it.
  10. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    The Chelsea issue was the bit that did it for most Spurs fans I imagine. Moving to Madrid, fair enough (even though the way he went about it will leave a bad taste). But trying to force a move to that lot, you can hardly be a Spurs legend after that. Great player though obviously, it was still always a pleasure to watch him play for Tottenham.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    The monetary aspect of football, and the nature of player contracts in the game do give rise to this sort of acrimony. Whilst there are of course professions where individuals are expected to agree to clauses in relation to their future work, such as exclusivity/non-competitor clauses, footballers do seem to have a very particular issue to contend with. They may not simply 'hand in their notice' if they wish to move on. If I wished, I could inform my employer that I wished to resign my post in order to take up another that was better paid, where my particular skill set would be better utilised, in a location I find personally preferable, etc. A footballer is not allowed to do this. Obviously Modric found his way to make a move happen, and of course this could have been handled more tactfully, though I find the concept of lingering dislike for him very curious.

All that aside, I have to say he is possibly the finest player I ever had the fortune to see play the game from a seat in the stand.
  12. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,790 / 49 / -0
    Rumours are he is angling for a move back here .
  13. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,141 / 35 / -0
    Well if the new ticket prices are any indication we should easily have the cash to afford him.
  14. lillywhiteyank Well-Known Member

lillywhiteyank
    Ratings:
    +433 / 11 / -0
    I would like to see that.
  15. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    If, and I suspect that’s a pretty big if, he did come back, how do you think the team would line up with him in it? Would he slot in to a two in front of a back four? Part of a 4-3-3? A 3-5-2?
  16. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    People getting caught up like it’s 2010.

He’ll be 33 in September. Can’t see him coming here and wanting to sit on the bench, which he would for most of our games

He’ll probably call it quits sooner rather than later
  17. pedrodelawasp Well-Known Member

pedrodelawasp
    Ratings:
    +696 / 23 / -0
    He could be a Xabi Alonso or Andrea Pirlo type and continue playing at a high level further in to his 30s than most, but I agree Spurs is not likely to be the place for him to do that. I could imagine him fitting in well in Serie A.
  18. pzabby Well-Known Member

pzabby
    Ratings:
    +536 / 10 / -0
    He would probably just play Dembele's position. Would be a solid pick up. I'm for it.
  19. heartache57 Active Member

heartache57
    Ratings:
    +120 / 2 / -0
    He burnt his bridges with his behaviour in trying for his move to the rent boys. F@ck him, rat faced c@nt.
  20. weirddave hey you guys

weirddave
    Ratings:
    +2,385 / 3 / -0
    All I’m hoping is that he now knows what the word ‘rivalry’ means after his desire to move to Chelsea which is in the same city as Tottenham.

He was my favourite player to watch at Spurs and yeah he apologised but I too was disappointed by his moving away and if a player is going to push for moves to clubs like that then they shouldn’t say a dickie bird about being loyal to Spurs and all that jazz.

If you’re going to move then move but keep schtum when it comes to declaring your love for your current team so near to declaring a transfer request. :/

Disco Benny has it correct.
  21. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    So every club in London is off limits for any player on another club in London? Otherwise they’re disloyal jerks?

I guess it’s better to go play for Everton. Then all you’ve got to avoid is Liverpool when looking to move clubs.
  22. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    If a Spurs player agitates for a move to Chelsea, one of our biggest rivals and not far behind the scum in most Spurs fans' list of hated clubs, then of course the player will be seen as disloyal and be condemned. It's not the same as a player leaving Spurs for Fulham or Palace (if for some reason they wanted to).
  23. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    Personally, I’ve got no issue with a player wanting to play at whatever club they want.

But if someone wants to get agitated about a player wanting to go to Arsenal, I sort of get that. They’re our rivals. Our real rivals.

But Chelsea? No, that just makes the person a hater IMO.

If one of our players wanted to move to West Ham, another club we have a supposed but not real rivalry with, nobody would particularly care because that would mean the player wasn’t good enough for us. People only care about Chelsea because they have more money and more recent success than we do.
  24. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    You're off your rocker mate. I hate Chelsea and it ain't cos of the money/success. As a Spurs fan living in London, the rivalries with Chelsea and West Ham are not fabricated at all. Attending games at the bridge and at Upton Park, you knew all about how much animosity there is.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    As much as we hate to admit it, Americans who haven’t been to a lot of these rivalry games and don’t have to live and work with the fans of the other teams really can’t understand the rivalry.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    I’ve been to Spurs’ rivalry games. I just think one should be reasonable when it comes to rivalries. One main rival: fine. And it’s ok to have secondary rivals. But to call a player a “rat faced c*nt” for wanting to play for a secondary rival (who will pay more and offer a better chance at PL and CL trophies)? It’s not my cup of tea.
  27. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,313 / 78 / -0
    Its never bothered me if a player wants to leave for whatever team, as long as they do it properly. Sol Campbell, Berbatov and Modric didnt do that. Rose another example. Although i applaud Modric for apologising. If we were the team winning all the trophies, we wouldnt bat an eyelid if we nicked our rivals best players.
    Dave,
  28. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    People care about Chelsea because they're fcuking racist pricks who have a fan base that is one of the worst in the country, along with West Ham.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    They have no clue.

Especially those fans who have just started following the club an/or the league itself
  30. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,290 / 12 / -0
    No clue in some sense, but... all one needs to do is relate Spurs rivals to their own rivals. I feel about woolwich, chelsea and west ham the way I feel about u michigan sports. i hate them; empathy is key.