Motorsport mourns another

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fatboyyid, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    Italian motorcycle rider Marco Simoncelli has died after a crash in the Malaysian MotoGP.
    The 24-year-old's helmet was knocked off when he fell and was hit by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi as he slid across the track on his Honda.

The season's penultimate race was abandoned immediately after the collision just four minutes into the event, as Simoncelli lay motionless on the track.

Yamaha's Edwards also came off his bike but escaped serious injury, while Rossi was able to nurse his Ducati back to the pits.

Simoncelli lay stricken on the track before being taken to the circuit's medical centre where he was pronounced dead.

Casey Stoner, who won his second MotoGP title at his home Australian Grand Prix last week, said: "As soon as I saw the footage it just makes you sick inside.

"Whenever the helmet comes off that's not a good sign."
  2. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    Absolutely sickening to watch. I was watching it alongside the Rugby World Cup final and as soon as I saw it I knew he'd had it.

RIP :( :y1:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  3. Fatboyyid I'm ***y and I know it Moderator

Fatboyyid
    Ratings:
    +3,663 / 12 / -1
    I really wish I hadn't watched that video. Sickening :(
  4. funkfish groany fooker lol

funkfish
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 0 / -0
    yeah i watched this this morning, horrific :y8:
  5. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
    A true legend in the making,he rode how he lived on the edge,and got so far in so short a time that I'm sure he would have. Become champion very soon ,a true loss to the sport
  6. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +125 / 3 / -0
    A dark week for motorsport. Such an exciting talent and character to lose. RIP Marko.
  7. Luke0405 New Member

Luke0405
    Ratings:
    +543 / 0 / -0
    Shame about another motorsport star so close to each other. It happens :(

R.I.P
  8. XRated Well-Known Member

XRated
    Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    My girlfriend's a huge fan of Moto GP and was very upset about this. :(

RIP.
  9. 1van Banned !

1van
    Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    RIP .... and yeah just by looking at the video it was clear that it would be fatal.. i was watching the tv today and rai uno showed this, i did not understand a word they said but then they showed the video and i knew enough..
    1van,
  10. bradders Legend!

bradders
    Ratings:
    +916 / 0 / -0
    awful news for fans and family. how on earth in this day and age can a helmet come off? the money in this sport surley they can find and use a material that wont snap in 2 or snap off the helmet itself? kevlar would be a starting point
  11. Rev John Ripsher Moderator

Rev John Ripsher
    Ratings:
    +4,670 / 13 / -0
    bradders if you hit anything hard enough it will split in some way , it probably took half his head with .
  12. 1van Banned !

1van
    Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    yeah i am sure the helmets are more secure now then they ever were.. but when you get hit by a fast going bike, then even those modern helmets can't help you much... sad but true..
    1van,
  13. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
    the helmet looked intact bouncing off the track,im guessing the weight of a bike rolling over it the strap might have given way,dont know mate tbh,i wear one everyday and dont like it to tight,eventhough theyre meant to be as tight as you can stand
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 1van Banned !

1van
    Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    could it also have something to do with his "afro" hair.. that hair has to go somewhere, and maybe he had a lil bigger helmet cause of the hair.. but in a situation like a crash that can be pretty bad.. cause a crash does not care about what hair and size of your helmet is.. you either have the perfect size or you are in big trouble..
    1van,
    • Like Like x 1
  15. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
    could be right mate,id say if his head is down adn the wheel catches the helmet under his chin the force would rip it clean off as well,cant really see from the vid,and tbh as a rider of a biker daily i dont want to watch it again
    • Like Like x 1
  16. River Founder Founder

River
    Ratings:
    +4,520 / 9 / -0
    Didnt it seem weird to anyone else ? i didnt see the full vid all i saw was when he came into the picture across the other two bikes, when he came into the picture he was hanging off the bike as if he was unconcious and hanging on kind of . Thats why the helmet come off because his head got hit by the bikes first , Def looked like something had happened prior to being hit. As i said i didnt see the race so if anyone saw why he had steered out that wide in the first place you might know more.

Horrific accident though, RIP...
  17. rossdfc Well-Known Member

rossdfc
    Ratings:
    +3,242 / 1 / -0
    Don't think anything happened, pretty sure he just leant too far over, then his thigh made contact with the track and he came off. It may have just looked odd as he may have been bracing for impact?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. edmonds44 Well-Known Member

edmonds44
    Ratings:
    +785 / 3 / -0
    RIP Marco... he had so much promise, very similar to the younger Rossi, both Italian, both Riding Honda's and both very similar in their way about racing...

It was quite unsual in the fact he was low-siding but the bike was still turning, but for those of you that haven't seen the video or don;t understand why or how his helmet came off, it appears that it as Rossi's front wheel that clipped it and ripped it off of his head... the most horrific part of that crash was when he was sliding down the road...

my thoughts are with his family and friends, we are now missing a great prospect from the world of Moto GP

I also feel really bad for Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, although it was a total accident, you can't imagine what are going through those two men's heads...

RIP
    PA705634.jpg
  19. rudi New Member

rudi
    Ratings:
    +1,961 / 0 / -0
    I loved that guy, such a breath of fresh air in the sometimes over-careful sport. It just looked like one of those freak-chance accidents; tragic, but unavoidable when racing.
    rudi,
    • Like Like x 1
  20. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
    Paulo Simoncelli " Marc if he had let go of the bike he would not have died, but he was a warrior" ,dad and son legends
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Park Lane Yido New Member

Park Lane Yido
    London, a small town on Mars ... near the capital
    Ratings:
    +1,451 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Park Lane Yido New Member

Park Lane Yido
    London, a small town on Mars ... near the capital
    Ratings:
    +1,451 / 0 / -0
  23. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
    cheers for that ply,its getting put on the biker forum im on as we speak
  24. philthy Active Member

philthy
    Ratings:
    +282 / 9 / -0
    I wasn't a fan of Simoncelli but I didn't wish him any ill. It was perhaps ironic that when he backed it off a 10th or two he was able to ride "safely" but not quick enough to be up there pushing for podiums with the aliens. For this final race he looked as if he was trying to knock it back up. My memories of the incident are of Edwards trying to get up with his broken collar bone etc and looking across the track at Simoncelli's body. It was plain to see by his reaction the worse had happened. Race fans were quick to criticise the circuit marshalls when they dropped Simoncelli's body when trying to run with the stretcher to the ambulance outside the barrier to the track. I can't criticise them for trying to get a lost cause to better medical facilities quickly in the hope of reviving him.