NFL in London

Discussion in 'American Football' started by US_Spurs_Fan, Oct 25, 2008.

1. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    Any of you in the London area going to make it to the Chargers - Saints game at Wembley?
  2. Spuds4Ever New Member

Spuds4Ever
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No, but i am gonna watch the match on TV. I support the Seattle Seahawks.
  3. River Founder Founder

River
    Ratings:
    +4,576 / 10 / -0
    I would have thought that would be a good/different day out for us brits, when is it ? might go take a look and see what the fuss is about ;)
  4. MyGoula New Member

MyGoula
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    today 6 british time Geaux Saints!
  5. Kyle New Member

Kyle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad folks in England get a chance to watch Brees play. He's the best quarterback in (American) football right now, hands down.
    Kyle,
  6. Beats Well-Known Member

Beats
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Plenty of scoring, that would have been a good game to attend. Think I'll only be making it over for NFL if the 'skins come or I have a lot of spare money next year...
  7. cohonjes New Member

cohonjes
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    american football is for yanks they dont care for our game the call it soccer
  8. US_Spurs_Fan Well-Known Member

US_Spurs_Fan
    Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    This always cracks me up... soccer is not an American invented term. It originated in England and was derived from association football. It simply has caught on in the US where it has fallen out of usage in England.

Second, while football/soccer isn't one of the most popular sports in the US, I can assure there are plenty of us who are fans of the sport. Popularity has been growing. The MLS has expanded recently, and is set to expand again. While the quality of play isn't that of the EPL or other major leagues.... just being able to sustain a league is a huge change from 20 years ago.
  9. Beats Well-Known Member

Beats
    Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    I tend to ignore people who come on and make 1 abusive or non-constructive post, most members here will either have a chat with you or ignore this section completely.

There are plenty of people in the UK who are interested in or play American Football.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. David Black New Member

David Black
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I love American Football. Have done since I was a kid. I have always followed it to an extent but my passion for it really kickstarted 4 or 5 year ago when I got a job where I don't work Mondays. Basically I watch American Football from 6pm sunday until 5am monday lol. Wouldn't have it any other way and can't imagine working a monday now!

New York Giants are my team and this coming season they will win the Super Bowl!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. David Black New Member

David Black
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Oh yeah and forgot to say have been to all the Wembley games the last few years. Just going to the one this season. Chiefs v Lions.
  12. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,769 / 113 / -0
    NFL tickets are going for anything as low as $10 in an attempt to fill stadiums...I know personally of seats that are $250 every game are now being offered for $75 and still can't get sold......
  13. EliteKiller Well-Known Member

EliteKiller
    Ratings:
    +2,472 / 25 / -0
    NFL has seen a downturn in support over the last decade, small but real ... allowing the 'kneeling' controversy to become a political issue has just alienated 20/30/40% of NFL fans ... if you agree this is a 'free speech' issue or if you consider it 'disrespect' isn't really the point it shouldn't be an NFL issue ... by allowing it to become one they've hurt the brand ... great if you want cheap NFL tickets, I reckon there will be a fair few available for the rest of this season ...

When going to watch sport becomes a political statement it's always the sport that loses out .... the NFL should have kept politics out of their sport, they didn't and now they will reap the whirlwind .....
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,276 / 24 / -0
    Seems pretty sad people would stop watching a sport over this. Why do they even play the national anthem at all?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,284 / 60 / -0
    If any of you are thinking "Hey, I'd like to get into the NFL. Which team should I support?" Then I encourage you to come join me as a fan of the Atlanta Falcons! We were in the Super Bowl last year (don't ask about the result, I'm not ready to talk about it) and have won our first 3 games this year. Instead of yelling out "Yid army" you get to say "Rise up." It's fun!
  16. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,769 / 113 / -0
    That was one of the best, if not thee best Superbowls ever last year to be fair...defiantly cemented Brady as the second greatest QB of all time....
  17. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,284 / 60 / -0
    I SAID I'M NOT READY TO TALK ABOUT IT
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    Or if you prefer a different mascot of the avian variety, look no further than the Philadelphia Eagles! We are looking good and always improving. Our new coaching staff is just off its first year as well as our franchise quarterback Carson Wentz, who is from North Dakota of all places!
  19. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,284 / 60 / -0
    The Eagles are an especially good choice if you're into hooliganism.

Philadelphia: the Millwall of the NFL.
  20. Boone Well-Known Member

Boone
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    Yes, if you're an Eagles fan you are 100% required to be a hooligan.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,769 / 113 / -0
    The national anthem was never the issue, when Kapernick started this thing last year it was a protest against the police, police brutality he called it, in fact Kanernick was on record as saying he supported the military and he supported the flag/anthem, but nevertheless he used it to get attention to his protest, I mean if he just spoke out about it then people would just brush it off, but nailing it to the national anthem gained worldwide attention, and the rest is history as they say......last night the Dallas Cowboys took a knee prior to the anthem, then they all stood together for the anthem, the Cowboys (Americas team) as a franchise were never going to disrespect the anthem, but by kneeling as an entire team prior to the anthem they basically sent out a message that the protest is also worth respecting....Kapnerick has lost a few battles (including his job) along the way, but last night he won the war.....testing times along ahead for the NFL now, ratings are dropping like a stone, the biggest selling merchandise right now is of players who served their country at some point, ticket prices fall every week in attempts to not have empty seats, sponsors are questioning their decisions, but the media are having a ratings field day and don't expect this circus to end anytime soon.....
  22. pzabby Well-Known Member

pzabby
    Ratings:
    +491 / 8 / -0
    That was the longest sentence I've ever read. Nice post, but I guess you're questioning why we bother with periods?
  23. jrg83 Well-Known Member

jrg83
    Ratings:
    +4,019 / 12 / -0
    Aaron Rodgers is one clutch mother fucker, i'm getting to be quite a fan boy.
  24. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +2,769 / 113 / -0
    The man can condor a game winning drive in 90 seconds......a mean you can’t even boil an egg in that time!!
    • Funny Funny x 1