Official NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by S.L.R, Oct 5, 2011.

1. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -0
    Could anyone here please explain the conflict that threatens the season to me? I've been looking forward to NBA since I subscribed to ESPN. I don't understand the issue/couldn't find a clear explanation online. Far as I can tell, the players are in dispute with club owners in regards to cut of club-related income? So I'm guessing the players already have full access to their own image rights away from the court? Cheers
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
  2. StPaulSpur Well-Known Member

StPaulSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,690 / 0 / -0
    Basically, the financial structure of the league as it currently exists doesn't work. Depending on who you believe, roughly 2/3 of the team's lost money last year.

It's frustrating b/c, really, it's on the owners for being idiots. There were a ton of players who got really long contracts with completely ridiculous salaries. Imagine if a club like Wolves decided to sign Kevin Doyle to a six year contract with him on 150,000 a week. Now imagine if everyone else in the Prem was doing the same thing. Financial structure would fall apart overnight. So player salaries are the main cause of the issue, but I don't really blame the players there. If someone offers you stupid money are you supposed to turn it down because you're not worth that much?

If you want a more thorough breakdown on it, you won't do better than Bill Simmons on Grantland (Simmons, I might add, is a Spurs supporter).

Simmons' sums it up on Twitter
    If I Ruled the (NBA) World
    Dizzying Heights and Terrifying Lows
    A Fan Friendly Solution to Fix the NBA

(I'd also hazard a guess that BlueCrewLA could probably make a few interesting observations on this issue since he's one of the sports & finance gurus around here...)
    • Like Like x 3
  3. crocop Well-Known Member

crocop
    Ratings:
    +531 / 0 / -0
    It´s impossible to pay their wages, they earn a lot more than e.g footballers here in Europe. The league must make a cut and the players should respect that.
  4. Reserrved Well-Known Member

Reserrved
    Ratings:
    +1,785 / 21 / -0
    average salary for a basketball player is almost 5 million a year
  5. S.L.R Well-Known Member

S.L.R
    Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for responses, I am surprised at how they've let it get into this mess. Sheikh Mansour would love it there. Perhaps Gary Cook could find work insulting terminally ill kids on behalf of Miami Heat or something. Ah well, hope the season starts on time, I was looking forward to watching some Celtics games.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    Preach.....

You pretty much summed it up. They want to blame it all on greedy players but nobody was forcing them to pay role players $20m per/yr. Everyone deserves some blame but basketball has been broken for some time and personally I think the season needs to be canceled/shortened to work through the issues.

P.S. Nothing bothers me more that Bill Simmons supports my club. The man famously a hater of all things California.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 1van Banned !

1van
    Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    Metta World Peace... daaaaamn.. hes crazier then i thought..

i hope this strike ends soon, look what it did to ron..
    1van,
  8. gremo New Member

gremo
    Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Issue 1. and 3. seams to be solved but 2. is still standing and problem, ATM, is 80M per year. Since this is 10 year contract we are talking about 800M in total. At one point difference was 8 billion $ so ... let's hope for the best. Preseason is officially canceled and if this is not over until monday regular season start will be also officially canceled.

Labor Talks: 3 Main Issues in NBA Lockout | Crank Up The HEAT
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Maro New Member

Maro
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Actually it looks like some team owners are enjoying the lockout as they dont have to pay salaries to any players. That means they are gonna save the money they would otherwise hand to overrated players. For example, Washington will not spend 20m for a 3 who will not even play.

And there are some other owners who keep breaking down the negotiations, such as Dan Gilbert, who only wants the other teams to not perform as well. His Cavaliers would be a total dumpster if a season would be in place. And also he is basicly killing another season of Miami Trio :)
    Maro,
  10. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    I really hate David Stern.

Whatever happens I hope that tool is forced to step down.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +1,452 / 5 / -0
    Well, they've rejected another one. Can't blame them really, they're asking the players to pay for mistakes the owners have made. It's not like the players haven't been prepared to concede on a new CBA, they just don't want to concede as much as the owners are asking, which is quite a massive swing on the last one really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Maro New Member

Maro
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    The NBA becomes a total joke. There has been already too much acting in it, killing the game of basketball. But all these discussions ended up as an epic PR failure.

I'm glad we are at least able to watch some good defense and team play in EuroLeague. I also wish the NCAA season was longer.
    Maro,
  13. The Sundance Yid Well-Known Member

The Sundance Yid
    Ratings:
    +969 / 0 / -0
    So where does this end? If the owners are unwilling to pay the players and the players are unwilling to renegotiate new deals, where do people see this going? I guess it is another case of money ruining sport. Basketball has had quite a fall from grace over the last 10 or 15 years becoming less and less popular in the US, yet players were being paid more and more. That makes very little sense when clubs are generating less and less revenue. It seems that the human race has become inept when it comes to managing finances. The millionaires who own the clubs are running out of money but didn't seem to know it have ruined the NBA and the millionaire bankers who were also running out of money, have ruined the world economy. Now where the fook is that reset button???
  14. Maro New Member

Maro
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    The owners will realise that they lose even more money when there is no NBA season. And the players will realise that they will not make 15 million dollars by playing in overseas. This year is lost but I'm hopeful that we'll see some matches in 12/13
    Maro,
  15. Dancubus Well-Known Member

Dancubus
    Ratings:
    +1,452 / 5 / -0
    I feel sorry for the arena workers etc. Those are the guy's who are really going to struggle.

So what if players can't make 15 million playing abroad? They could retire now, and never have to work again with the money they've made. Don't get me wrong, I blame the owners for all of this. I just think in the bigger picture, there are a lot of people on minimum wage who are going to be out of jobs.

The fan's too, without them there's no NBA either.
  16. spursman18 Moderator

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +11,513 / 3 / -0
    Not a fan of basketball but here ya go [MENTION=5232]BlueCrew LA[/MENTION]

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski

The NBA and players have reached an agreement on a deal, source says. The season will start on Dec. 25.
  17. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    On Christmas eh, I wish those bastard would have made the deal a week earlier before Odom signed for Beskitas.
  18. Maro New Member

Maro
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Now that there is an agreement, Odom does not have to come here anyways. Both his and D-Will's contracts have opt-out clause.
    Some teams gambled on lockout and now their season is in jeopardy. They need to rebuild their squad in the middle of the season.
    Maro,
  19. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Javi Well-Known Member

Javi
    Ratings:
    +3,623 / 1 / -0
    Javi,
    • Like Like x 1
  21. ManilaYid Active Member

ManilaYid
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    If the Lakers get Dwight and CP3, I suggest that the players vote for another lock out season and give the trophy the LA.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
  23. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    So basically a bunch of butt hurt owners went to Stern and complained about the prospect of them being smacked down by LA again and they got their way.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. ManilaYid Active Member

ManilaYid
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
  25. ManilaYid Active Member

ManilaYid
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    I guess David Stren is not in the mood to be giving away Lary O'Brien Trophies just yet.
  26. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    David Stern and the rest of the owners just proved what massive butt hurt waste of oxygen they are. To get Paul the Lakers were giving up Pau Gasol AND Lamar Odom. In what Galaxy is that a lopsided trade. All the teams involved were getting good players on decent contracts, and New Orleans was getting something for a player with an expiring contract. If any other team was involved, say if somehow we were talking Paul to the Timberwolves, would Stern have vetoed the trade? Would the owners take the time to bitch to Stern. I didn't see anyone during the CBA negoitations complaining about Miami and the Celtics. It's ****ing ridiculous, NBA owned or not I hope Jerry Buss sues the shit out of NBA and Paul better not be traded now. They're making special rules for the Lakers.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    P.S. In it's construct how is this any different from the Melo trade? At least we were giving up better players.
  28. ManilaYid Active Member

ManilaYid
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

I actually think that trade would hurt the Lakers. They are going to take a huge hit in size and depth giving away Pau and Lamar. I can't imagine Bynum holding the fort on his own.
  29. ManilaYid Active Member

ManilaYid
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Come to think of it. David Stern and the other owners could've blocked the trade of Lebron and Bosh going to Miami but they didn't.
  30. BlueCrew LA Moderator

BlueCrew LA
    Ratings:
    +12,546 / 16 / -0
    Word was that Bynum was going to be used as trade bait for Howard. I'm not sure how that was going to work. I'm positive the NBA would change the rules to no players with the nickname Superman are allowed in Califorina.