Old WC song question

Discussion in 'International' started by chippy, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello all

not a Spurs fan but not a wind up merchant either,

hoping for some help regarding an England World Cup song that came out in 1970 when Back Home was the official song,

It mentioned Martin Peters (then of Spurs) and a few more England players but I can't remember the title or any more words other than "Martin to Ossie and bang"

I have tried all the Google searches and everyhit.com but nothing mentioned at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
    welcome mate,you dont have to be a spurs fan to post here.im sure a yid will be along any min to fill you in on the song,im a paddy so that rules me out ha ha.enjoy the forum
  3. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 0 / -0
  4. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
  5. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks mate,

I don't think many will remember it but as Martin Peters set up the goal in the song I thought someone here would be a good bet.

Cheers again for the welcome.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 0 / -0
    Opps ;)

Actually, come to think of it - I posted that link to help jog people's mind and all :302:
  7. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've searched all the usual places, Youtube, Wikipedia, google etc and found lists of WC songs but no mention of this at all,

It does exist and I've emailed loads of football sites but still nothing, if anyone knows this they will be one of a very few by the looks of it.
  8. Enfield_spurs Well-Known Member

Enfield_spurs
    Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
  9. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Been on there mate and that world beaters thing is a 12 track LP, I found a bit of each on youtube and none were the one I'm looking for...thing is I'm not sure it was the squad in fact I doubt it was so not knowing who sang it is making it harder to find.

I'm sure someone will recognise it sometime but its driving me mad at the moment as even a couple of old mates from back then I've spoken to don't remember it.

It went (cant recall the names so I'll put someone) "someone to someone", "someone to someone", "Martin to Ossie and bang".
  10. Enfield_spurs Well-Known Member

Enfield_spurs
    Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
  11. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 0 / -0
    Could it be one of those FA Cup songs?
  12. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah thats me, and any more questions like that will be...I keep thinking I've found something and it turns out to be my own question...arghhh
  13. EssexYiddo Active Member

EssexYiddo
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    you sure it wasnt a dream? lol
  14. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nightmare more like...even the missus is saying I made it up.

I remember it as I was surprised with Jeff Astle and Geoff Hurst in the team the song had Peter Osgood as the Scorer...

It really was around but the only worry for me is it might have been an advert or something, there wasn't so much advertising then though and I'm sure I would have remembered what the add was for.

I've even had them ask the question on Vital Englands website but again the only replies are people either saying they were'nt about then or asking if I mean Back Home.
  15. Heroes Well-Known Member

Heroes
    Ratings:
    +3,456 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried asking Sir Geoff Hurst himself?

The Official website of Sir Geoff Hurst MBE
    • Like Like x 1
  16. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I have now.

heres my email:

I wonder if you could help me?

I am trying to find record of a Football song that came out around the same time as Back Home for the 1970 World Cup.

I remember it mentioning a few of the players passing about and then the words "Martin to Ossie and bang".

I appreciate you are not there to answer silly questions but thought someone might just be able to help.

I thought of Geoff as it surprised me at the time that the song had Peter Osgood as the scorer when Geoff was the main striker.

Maybe Sir Geoff will remember it.

I have tried all the usual searches but no help so far.

Thanks in advance.
  17. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is doing my head in now, I've been looking for weeks and emailed everyone and the only decent reply I've had is from Mirror Football who remember it but the only reference they can find to it is from Ant and Dec...have a look at this clip at about 2 mins 31 on and you'll see although it isn't it, it is where they nicked this from.
    heres their words
    It's Neville to Campbell, Campbell to Rio,
    Rio to Scholes'y, Scholes'y Gerrard.
    Gerrard to Beckham, Beckham to Heskey, Heskey to Owen
    To goal, 1-1
    It's Nevill to Campbell, Campbell to Rio,
    Rio to Scholes'y, Scholes'y Gerrard
    Gerrard to Beckham, Beckham to Heskey, Heskey to Owen
    To goal, 1-1

Have a listen in case it jogs anyones memory, the tune is slightly different and obviously the players involved and goal instead of bang.
    YouTube - Ant and Dec- We're On The Ball

I've found out that Ant and Dec got the idea from Harold Spiro...a Tottenham fan who wrote it and also wrote Nice one Cyril,

There is nothing on the original and all credits seem to go to Ant and Dec who recorded it in 2002 although Spiro died in 1996.

It's got to be out there.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  18. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Heres another garden path I've been up...

Text 63336 answers experts when I asked the question "what song included the lyrics Martin to Ossie and bang"

replied:

The Arsenal chant - We're on the Ball features the lyric "Martin to Ossieand bang"

Ant and Dec recorded a version of the song for the 2002 World Cup.

I'm getting nowhere...
  19. funkfish groany fooker lol

funkfish
    Ratings:
    +1,161 / 0 / -0
    it might be time to give it up mate
  20. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    FOOTBALL RECORD 1970s

I've found a picture of the actual record...

Its June 1970 rereleased 1972 by the supporters and written by Harold Spiro.

Called on the Ball.

You'd think with all that I could find Lyrics or a mention of it but I'm still stuck.

I won't give up yet, if anyones bored enough to have a look and see if they can find it I'd appreciate it.
  21. dave hill Active Member

dave hill
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Now you've got me thinking. I will find it, tho' the lirycs do remind me of "nice one cyril", i think released by "The Cockerel chorus". I am that sad and that much of a spurs fan that i do actually own a copy on 7 inch vynal!!!!!
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  22. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I,ve found somewhere called Discogs and a member on there has a copy that he has down as release date 1971, I've ordered it as he sells rare records and I'm taking a chance its the same one...when it arrives I'll get it onto MP3 and post it up somehow so you can have a listen, just hoping its the one I'm looking for.

It's not Nice one Cyril, I remember that well but I've got a feeling the same bloke wrote them both.
  23. bradders Legend!

bradders
    Ratings:
    +916 / 0 / -0
    lmao, i have tried doing a search and you pop up EVERYWHERE trying to find this out lol. it must be REALLY DOING YOUR HEAD IN, how many forums have you joined?
  24. dave hill Active Member

dave hill
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thinking about it, WHY do you seem to be in such a tizz over this seemingly trivial thing? have you got family connections with it or just a sort of mental O.C.D. thing going on? don't get me wrong, i'm not having a pop, it's just starting to bug me that it's bugging you so much! it's getting to be a bit like a brain chain letter!
  25. thfcire Unit and river the human centipede Super Moderators

thfcire
    Ratings:
    +13,815 / 33 / -0
  26. chippy New Member

chippy
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ha Ha yeah its one of those things, its bad enough when songwords get in your head and you cant remember the song or the Artist but this is worse as I put the question out and people seemed to think I was making it up...now its not only doing my head in but I have to prove it existed,

Other than that I haven't heard it since I was a nipper and its like a nostalgia thing.

I've asked on about six forums and emailed Geoff Hurst, Gordon Banks, The Mirror, The Guardian, and a few music sites.

Dave Hill

I never meant it to be a Brain Chain letter (lol) I really thought a spurs fan was likely to remember it being as it mentioned Martin Peters.

thfcire
    Thanks for that link but again it never showed the one I'm after...

As I posted I think I've found it and I've ordered it from Disgogs so hopefully you'll all be treated to an mp3 of it if I can find a way of posting it,

If not I'll put it on Youtube and put a link up.

Thanks for trying though all that did.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010