[OMT] Barcelona H [CL] Wed 3 Oct 2018 8PM BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by AlabamaSpur, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    This game was for the Levy outers. Lack of depth obvious, and its hard to compete against the best with our injuries.

But naivety cost us getting anything out of this game. Showed spirit in the second half, but the f##king naivety in that first half was shocking. Poch must take some blame for it. With a fit first eleven, its tough enough. But the team we had out, had no chance with a high press. We can't press against these teams one on one - you have to swarm with 2 or 3, and we just don't have the players to do it. The goal after 90 secs!, was proof enough - poor from Lloris, but the space given to Messi to play the through ball, was frightening, from minute 1.
    There are times when you cannot play the way you want, sometimes you have to be pragmatic. Yet we persist in trying to play the same way, with inferior players, against the best teams, Its f'#king crazy. Same against Scousers and City - if they do it better than you, with better players, find another way! That's a part of the management job as well. Fine with us being aggressive, but not f##king stupid.

Difficult getting out this group now, and we're gonna need some help from others.....At least Pool lost.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    Good god wanyama was crap today.

Never liked our chances with all of the injuries and lloris coming back rusty, but we still just barely managed to make it a game.

If we can stop having the worst injury record around, we could still pull this off.
  3. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Speaking of Wanyama, pretty sure he was way up the pitch on that first goal. Somehow the ball was turned over, maybe by him, and Barca took it right down the middle.
  4. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Great advert for what not to do in the transfer window....nuff said on that..
    Positives, Harry looks like he’s back to being Harry...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maslas Well-Known Member

Maslas
    Ratings:
    +1,008 / 27 / -0
    He was too far upfield for almost the entire match. And winks was staying behind to cover him. It was stupid as hell.
  6. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    I see blame being thrown in Wanyama's direction for the first goal and I'd like to give my piece because to me it goes beyond Wanyama.

Literally from the first whistle we went straight up the pitch. Defense was holding a line near the center of the pitch, midfield a little further, and forwards pressing onto their defenders. Nothing surprising there, usual game plan from us. Clearly instructed to commit to one versus one pressing and Wanyama's man (Rakatic I believe) dropped to receive the ball. This almost works in our favor as Wanyama almost takes the ball from him.

Unfortunately Rakatic scurried away and released the ball onto Busquet. Now we're outnumbered in midfield naturally because they have three in the middle while we had two so Busquet is able to turn and find Messi who stayed next to midfield to further outnumber our midfield. Honestly still no problems here because both Winks and Son are quick to chase, however the issue is when they both get in front of him.

You can see that this is when they switch off thinking they've done enough. This is where a God of Football will punish you, Messi simply turns away from both of them and with neither of them continuing to press, he's able to pick out Jordi Alba with no problems.

Speaking of Jordi Alba he made a 50 yard dash the moment Messi first got the ball because there was so much open field between him and Tripps. Trippier was clearly not aware of Alba because he honestly was ball watching a bit and not checking for a runner until too late. In addition Lloris hesitated to come out initially on the overhead ball, then tried to make up the ground one he saw Tripps wasn't getting it, and then ended up getting burned.

Goals rarily come from one individual mistake and I'm sure if we took a look at all the goals we could break them down in a similar manner. I can say all this calmly now, but believe me I was probably Dorset levels of batshit crazy when I turned on the game only to see us immediately concede.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Tott_BeBop The poster formerly knows as T.K. Massive

Tott_BeBop
    Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -0
    Messi was absolutely superb, that pass for their first goal was....im not sure what it was. Seems like something only Messi could do.

I still thought we looked a bit sluggish and just had a hard time keeping up with Barca. Which isn't any surprise.

What worries me is the way the team were playing again, almost as if this was a match in April. Could be a long season, injuries and burnouts are looking as if they are working their way in already.
  8. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    The tactics were suicidal. Add that to Lloris's idiotic dash from goal and then his awful distribution late in the game to Sissoko (why was that man ever allowed near the pitch?) who had his pocket picked, well........ Yes Barcelona are a top team, but we gave them all the assistance in the world.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    @Dave it was Tripps I know Davies is the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong lol , but nah not for that.

Agree with most of what @Just a Spurs fan says about MP, he has a set plan that works in many games but in the ones of significance, fails.
    MP has to be more of a manager than coach this season, as I think it will take a lot of motivation to keep players focused in what he is trying to achieve.

Frustrated with how things turned out , for all their domination and class it was our own mistakes that caused the defeat. including from the coach , if ever a player showed he was not mentally right to play it was Lloris, and if ever a player showed he should not be wearing a Spurs kit it was Sissoko.
  10. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I don't really have animosity towards Sissoko because he tries hard and he does what he can do. He just doesn't have a lot of skill.
  11. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    When Sissoko is even considered being allowed to walk onto the pitch as a genuine option as one tenth of our outfield players in any meaningful game, then we know we have a problem.....yes we had injuries last night, and yes it was Barca, So considering both those things that was not the worst performance, not even in the same zip code as the Watford result...
    So that brings it back again to the argument in the summer that we couldn’t buy any player who could improve on what we already had....seriously?
    Jack Grealish may not be the stuff of dreams, nor the new Modric we crave, but surely at a messily 20m (in today’s market) he would be a better option than Sissoko?...at least he would be as excited as a schoolboy to impress in this kind of arena, and not just lifting 90k a week for shits and giggles....
    I don’t blame Pochettino one bit, nor should we, someone above him has way over spent on the new stadium and we don’t have a pot left to piss in....
    Right now I think this idea we had that the stadium would allow us the spending power to genuinely push on is pure fantasy, it will allow us to buy/build a new team just to stay in the top 6, so in layman’s terms, just keep doing what we have always done, buy, build, sell, rebuild.....I’d love to add to that, with the occasional throphy thrown in along the way, but I don’t even think that is true...
  12. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    The worst part is that we all know we will play the exact same tactics against Man City in a few weeks. When we go the Anfield later in the season, we will do the same again.
  13. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    Id not give stick to Loris over the last goal. He passed a ball straight to a 30 million quid player. I expect that player to control the bastard and not get brushed off the ball like a piece of balsa wood.

We should have been miles better than that. The injury excuses are lame. You hear quite a few calls for Wanyama over Dier. Like Watford, we saw why Dier is so important to us. Winks completed 95% of his passes. I cant remember one pass of significance. All iremember is one decent run and a tackle on Messi.

I'm quite harsh on Lamela but i felt he deserved a start but whats he do again? Missing the entire first half. Better second half for about 15 mins but a 30 million quid player needs to be running the show more often.

Moura hasnt done anything for a month and Son was hopeless.

That was a pretty decent side we put out and they fell short again. Those players should be much better than that. Although the effort cannot be criticised.
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...Lloris picked out Trippier who picked out Sissoko, but their last goal was squarely on Sissoko - he should know that he can't give up the ball there - instead, he nonchalantly turns away and lets them have it...
    ...in general, our midfield was pathetic...we needed Dembele (or a DM we should have acquired over the summer)...
    COYS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    If I remember correctly...although I have tried to block most of this match from my memory, all of their goals developed from the middle of the field. Big Vic was either not ready or he's not good enough. Winks is good, but not great. He's more suited to be a rotation man and play in the cups and against the Brighton's and Cardiff's in the PL. Most of you know I'm no fan of Dier, but he made a difference when he came on. We absolutely must spend on a COUPLE of CM's, in January. Its by far our weakest spot on the field.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,141 / 35 / -0
    I'm sorry, but they only play for Lloris there is to Route 1 the ball to Kane and hope that something bounces our way and we can equalize. Sure Sissoko shouldn't but shoved off there, but you'd almost expect that he would. The only reason the keep playing the same way regardless of the opposition is that you know eventually you will have the players you need to always play that way. How on earth can Poch assume that with this club? We are more likely to sell in the summer than buy. I think Barca would have one this game regardless but we need to stop making it so easy for teams.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,141 / 35 / -0
    Unfortunately the midfielder we need is named Kante, and I'm pretty sure he's locked up long term.:(
  18. Jaggeh Active Member

Jaggeh
    Ratings:
    +304 / 6 / -0
    While I agree with most of your post this stood out. I thought Lamela was our best player last night. Involved in the buildup to the first goal and scored our second. He was harassing them the entire game. If, as you point out, Moura and Son did nothing an Wanyama did nothing of note what is he supposed to do if the players around him are (playing) substandard?

We had what, 35% percent possession? And you want him to raise his game above everyone else to achieve what? score another goal? tackle more? Is it normal for a £30mil player to match Barca in terms of talent when everyone else sucks? No. Bale is the kinda guy you want to run the show against Barca and he went for 3 times Lamelas transfer fee...

From what I've seen over the last few years he's the only one that shows passion and fight that I haven't seen since VDV. And, considering the shit he's been through (and been thrown at him) he's still working his socks off. There's only so much you can do. And if he continues like this for the rest of the season I think he'll be looking pretty good for 30 mil (previous seasons notwithstanding).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. aewallace81 Well-Known Member

aewallace81
    Ratings:
    +193 / 5 / -0
    The positivity I felt leading up to the match melted away when I saw the lineup and it wasn't just because of the injured players if you know what I mean. Some of them have been out and off form for a while and not looked being back anytime soon and they start up against Barcelona.

We can beat the best and we have, we just need to be at our best to do it. 3 points on Saturday, get everyone fit over the break then get a good run going into the City game, we can beat them and the momentum could be enough to get us out of this group still.
  20. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    Midfield is where we lost it. Yes Hugo was over enthusiastic in coming out for the first but mistakes happen. Many times he has saved us with coming out fast and he was I suspect over keen to impress.
    I’m all for patience and not gifting possession but I was all for lumping it up to Harry or over the top as our midfield was not going to be creating anything with an incisive pass and more likely to loose it.
    Missing players played a part but they were simply better.
    Interesting that on both occasions we closed it to 1 they did not fall back but upped there game.
    We had a brief moment at 3-2 when a draw was possible which made the 4th as painful as the 1st.
    4-2 was fair result.
    As for people leaving when we were at 3-2 I wonder why they bother.Bit of a chant got up in our area giving them some grief.

Mike
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. lillywhite Active Member

lillywhite
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -0
    We'll go out there's no doubt about it. Barca a different class and even with our best players in we would have fared no better. The team as a whole have not really performed of late and you could see this one coming. Lloris must have been shaking off a hangover for that first one but the fourth was a sketch from a laurel and Hardy movie. Sussoko being the stooge. What on earth was Poch doing bringing that muppet on, maybe putting him in the shop window for the likes of conference sides, or is that an insult to them. Barca will make most sides look poor and we did give everything in the second half but you still felt they could step up at will and get another. If we're going to strive each year to qualify for c/l be nice to make some sort of impact. As others have pointed out we desperately need a couple of midfield players of quality and the arrival of our glittering new stand has put pay to that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 36 / -0
    Just another game where we shoot ourselves in the foot, we can't get that out of our system in these games.

We beat our self this game with bad decision making, conceding less than 2 minutes into a game vs. a fragile Barca was the worse possible start that allowed them to gain confidence and get into rhythm. Our attempt to fight back was honorable, but in the end futile as we simply didn't have enough to bring of the bench to make proper assault. With this loss I am certain we are out of the CL and are competing for a EL place at best.
  23. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    We still concede too many goals from mistakes by our players.

Goal 1 - Lloris with a horrid misjudgement. However, Lamela did not track Alba's run and Trippier was out of position.
    Goal 3 - Son failed to track the runner. Wanyama did not track messi's run into the box.
    Goal 4 - Sissoko got tacked in a dangerous position and didn't fight to get the ball back (should have given away a foul). Toby and Davis way of position and couldn't cover messi's run.

Playing the high line failed to work since Son and Lamela did not cover Trips/Davis when they were out of position. Messi dropped back and kept himself central, which occupied Wanyama and Winks throughout the game. When Barca won back the ball in their own half they were quick to move it out wide where we had no cover. All 4 goals from a similar approach. Sanchez and Countinho stuck close the the CB's; but always kept line side of them - this drew Davis and Trips more central and freed up the space behind them.

So, did Poch get it wrong; or are our players not up to the job?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    If we manage to

So true. It frustrated me to no end that whenever Barca got the ball in midfield they would hoof it out wide -- almost without looking -- because they simply KNEW there would be a winger there waiting in acres of space. Happened time and again.
  25. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,611 / 43 / -0
    I don’t think we’re out just yet. We have to play PSV twice and they’re the weakest team in the group; we can possibly get 6 points and hopefully Barça do the double over Inter during the course; that puts us at 6 points level with Inter. Then we play Inter at home, where if we are top of our game we can most certainly beat and be at 9 points. Hopefully by then, Barça will have already qualified as well and the last match against them will be meaningless. It’s def not over by any stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    Awful luck Messi breaking his arm right before they play Inter