[OMT] BHA vs. Spurs (A), Saturday, 2018-09-22, 5:30pm BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by pistols_at_dawn, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    It’s a hard one with Dier, he plays that holding role, dropping into the back line when the fullbacks push, that’s his job, but he really should have that box to box man beside him who can bridge that gap between himself and Eriksen, Dembele just isn’t that guy. As a result Eriksen drops too deep way more often that he should and when he does get in the box (which is actually his job) there is too much space between attack and Dier, making Dier look way more exposed than he should....
    A lot of fans called for a Quality midfielder as No1 Priorty this past summer!!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    You saw on Tuesday night why he doesnt start. He doesnt do enough. He changed the game v Brighton though. Until he came on, it was one of the worst matches i can remember seeing. Another game as well where Eriksen survives being subbed. Anyway, three points was what counted but for 70 minutes, the fans should have been entitled to a refund watching that dross.

Kane looked more of a threat tonight at least and the keeper was solid. At least we will be left alone this weekend.
    Dave,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    We really know how to see a game out. Great result, desperately needed, but far from convincing. Their goal was criminal - to be caught that far up the field, and Rose soooo far out of position, in injury time, is totally inexcusable. Still worried about Dier and Dembele, slow getting around the pitch, and when Brighton upped the tempo second half, they got nowhere near them. Also moving the ball forward far to slow, and first thoughts too often seem to be sideways or backwards.
    But the second goal showed exactly what we can do when Dier does get the ball moving forward quickly. Fabulous move, and even better finish from Lamela. Looked much better at times in that second half though, and could of had a few more.
    If we can push on from this now, this win could prove to be pivotal.......COYS!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    For what it's worth I did notice Dier trying to carry the ball forward when they gave him space and then pick a forward pass. I thought he did OK a few times. I would take more of it from him. Better to lose it passing forward than backwards, that's for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...also prefer Lamela as a sub - he brings tenacity, tracking back, and the odd goal/assist/Rabona...
    COYS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    I'd have sold Lamela at the first opportunity in the Summer but two sub appearances have been excellent. He needs to do it from the start though. I suppose a sustained run in the side will help and tbh, i dont see why he shouldnt get that. Eriksen is doing nothing. Alli the same and Son was poor today but has more of an excuse.

We need to start leaving players out who dont do the business. Too many players know theyre playing but too often, some players are only standing out for a potential start because of a team members poor performance. Our bench players need to reach a level where its impossible to leave them out.
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I thinks it's more than three now. I'm not sure why he shouldn't produce as a starter, but if all he does is be the first one off the bench he'll do just fine with play like that.
  8. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    Apart from Rose being caught too far upfield for Brighton's goal, he looked more like the Rose of old, attacking with pace and determination. It was good to see.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    Had to laugh I just knew Hoddle would choose Rose for MOTM , then he completely fooks up and ends up on his arse for the Brighton goal, you couldnt write it lol.
  10. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    He was very good apart from the horrendous error.
  11. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    We're still not playing well. It's good enough to get by bad teams like Brighton but against good teams that won't fly. It will help when Dele gets back in the starting lineup--we miss him in attack. But mostly we need the Kane of old. It was nice to see him get off a couple of good shots late in the game, but this was after Brighton had basically given up after going down 2-0. We need to see 90 minutes of the old Harry.
  12. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I thought Kane looked good. It's the first time I've seen him really lay into a ball in a long time. I mean other than a penalty. And he did it three times there at the end of the game. He didn't score but I was just glad to see him hit it for a change. I think it may mark a change for him and we'll see the old Kane back.
  13. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Kane might of just had his usual August form in early September and is only getting up and running, who knows.....but we have a run of very winnable games coming up whilst Liverpool play Chelsea and City.....if our squad has any ambition and belief in them then surly this next run of games has to be where they show it?
  14. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    Is there a more boring bloke in the world than Hoddle? I just wish he would shut up for a few minutes and stop knocking Spurs, especially when he goes on about 'lack of effort'. As a footballer he was supremely gifted, but, like Özil, a lazy twat, who disappeared from so many games.

I remember many matches when he was jeered by large sections of the crowd for his lack of effort.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    Is that for real? Ive never ever heard anyone say that before. I thought he was like a messiah. I'm quite shocked at that.

He was having a pop at the club after the game as well in the studio. Going on about having to win something and we need to buy some players. Whilst hes right about winning stuff, he or Hargreaves never suggested any possible players to sign. Harry Redknapp got quite defensive of Levy and Poch, saying ''where exactly do Spurs buy?'' ''No striker will come to Tottenham knowing theyre only playing every so often.
    Dave,
  16. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    I found that discussion between Hod and Arry fascinating, I agreed with the Hod in his comments about the club needing to win a trophy even the Caribou Cup, push on and buy to strengthen, in contrast I couldnt believe Arry"s comments, he didnt think we needed anyone.