[OMT] Chelsea H [PL] Sat 24 Nov 5:30 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by AlabamaSpur, Nov 20, 2018.

1. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    We'll see - Arsenal cannot defend. Lacazette has a groin injury, so who knows?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    Great performance. Starting at such a high tempo is always a massive risk and this time it payed dividends since Chelsea had not prepared. We have tried this in the past and teams have scored the first goal on the break - so it was a big risk from Poch.

Chelsea couldn't cope at all with the press and failed to adapt their formation or strategy. Spurs forced them to play long high balls which they clearly only can do with Giroud on the pitch!

First time we have had Dele, Christian, Harry and Son on the pitch together this season. With Jan back now, we are full strength for Arsenal next week.

Sissoko and Aurier were both outstanding and demonstrated that given time in the starting 11 they are good enough for the system.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    I would also add that, in addition to the press, Dele's man-marking of Jorginho and Sissoko basically bitch-slapping their entire midfield created the ideal recipe for beating Chelsea. Any other club can paint by numbers at this point until Sarri figures out a Plan B. It was magnificent strategy from Poch.
  6. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mr whitey Well-Known Member

mr whitey
    Ratings:
    +2,314 / 31 / -0
    The difference in our attacking performance, with Eriksen in midfield and Dele/Son supporting Kane, was pretty stark compared to the rest of the campaign.
  8. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
  9. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Special shoutout to Davies too. I specifically remember him playing a beautiful ball under pressure that led to Son's first chance (starting at 1:52); a find into Dele's feet leading to Son's 3rd chance (starting at 4:45); and a nice one-two w/ Eriksen leading to Kane's shocker (starting at 6:20).

TOT CHE MOTD
  10. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    Yep, he had an excellent game.
  11. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Slightly concerned that Foyth has basically conceded three penalties (arguably two) in three games. I know he's young, but he's made the same mistake a couple times now (pointless challenge on the edge of the box on Hazard, same in Wolves game).
  12. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +372 / 8 / -0
    Maybe trying too hard, he is a prospect and has bags of talent but lacking games which I am sure he will get sooner or later
  13. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    Dare I say, but have you noticed how he is more vocal in organising players around him, he"s not the best player in the world but he is an important part of the team imo, as he brings a balance, and just to add , but where the hell is Rose these days ?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    He is still having trouble with his knee I believe.
  15. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    I'm worried that Rose will just keep suffering injuries and play fewer and fewer games, which means we will need another LB.
  16. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    I'd love for us to make a move for Sess in January. I bet we could work a deal that if Fulham gets relegated we get him.
  17. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    I doesn't worry me. It's a case of being unfamiliar with the level of talent that he is up against. I don't think he is being rash or stupid. He thinks he has the play and then he finds he doesn't. But he'll adjust. I'd be more worried if he wasn't in there having a go.
  18. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    He is no defender though , thats my concern.

We need another whatever is the case.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. FLYank Active Member

FLYank
    Ratings:
    +187 / 4 / -0
    Hindsight being 20/20, if someone had come in for him at anywhere close to the 50M being toted last summer we should have gift wrapped him. We'll have trouble getting 15 for him when we do sell him in the summer, which I'm ok with if we got value out of him but he's only been fit half the time and still isn't back to what he was. I hate to say it but we need a long term LB and we're going to lose out on the sale. Yes I know we paid like bus fare for him so anything is technically profit but its the principal, like letting Dembele go over the summer for 20M or free next summer. Completely justifiable if you get value out of them. We're getting hosed over Dembele unless a Chinese team needs a Belgian to complete their Pokemon set.

As for Foyth making mistakes in the box, remember when Aurier was "decent potential but good for 1 takedown in the box"? (its been what, a couple months since he's done that?) Remember years ago when Rose was young and a menace going forward but a defensive liability and people wanted BAE, Jan, Naughton or whatever instead and send Rose on another loan? Rose came good and if not for his bum knee would still be one of the best LBs in the league. Foyth is young and will make stupid mistakes. That's why people like Mourinho won't touch youth. They want a finished product. They can't be bothered to actually be a coach and teach and then blames the universe when they fail. Any idiot can use the money cheat and buy the best players on FIFA 19 and win the league. It takes effort and talent to do it on a budget and/or with youth. Teams like Tottenham and Dortmund are where youth go to learn to play in a top flight league where the coaches excel at molding them and actually playing them. Foyth will come good if given enough time. Hell, look at what Poch is doing to Sissoko (and he's 29!). If he can teach that dog new tricks he can teach anyone.

Speaking of Sissoko, he's one of my wife's favorite players. She can't stand players that live off their reputations or talent and have no appreciation for how they got there. She prefers footballers that work for what they have and understand the concept of humility. Kane isn't the best because god smacked him in the face with talent. He's the best because he's a relentless perfectionist who won't quit until he's the best. Sissoko is following that mold. He's not the best (Not even close. He was pretty unanimously the worst) but he sure does try and that effort is paying off. And we really need someone to take over Dembele's shoes and bully people, even if its just for a year or two.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    Agree with your comments about Foyth and you could add Walker to that list. He looked such a pill brain at times defensively, out of position, always giving away free kicks in dangerous areas, but eventually came good with the aid of proper coaching. I am positive Foyth will do the same. He has pace, skill and class and, importantly, Poch has faith in him. He is not yet 21, so lots of time to improve.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Indeed. He is even sticking up for players, he backed Sissoko today and talked about how the fans used him as a scapegoat. Meanwhile Rose is legit MIA; really unfortunate because he too can be an important part to the team again. Surely Davies cannot play every game this season.

Tottenham's Moussa Sissoko no longer the 'scapegoat' - Ben Davies
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Rose still listed out until the 5th, so I don't think there's more to it than that.

Sanchez is due back the 29th, so not a minor strain. Looks like Foyth will see more action in the mean time.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Yeah I did not mean it maliciously in regards to Rose; he has just been out for so long that I regard him as MIA now.
  24. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,789 / 49 / -0
    No he cant play every game, that is my concern too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. white hart pain Active Member

white hart pain
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    yes yes yes
    absolutely smashed it - we were flying!
    hitting good form at a great time.
    Arse next, let's do it boys
    COYS