[OMT] EPL Sun.May 13 2018, Tottenham H. v Leicester City F.C. K.O. 15.00pm

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by MichiganStateSpur18, May 10, 2018.

1. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Great game. KWP was terrific after that terrible start. He should be our RB next season. Lamela came through. And for once someone looked for his runs.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Proper Spursy finish to the end of the season, but it’s actually nice to get the prize we were chasing (3rd) at the end of it.....great season all in all given everything we have had to deal with.....can’t wait to start it all again at the new stadium and hopefully drooling over a few exciting additions to the team......COYS
  3. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Time to sell Trippier

KWP has been very patient this season. He’s not put a foot wrong in any of the appearances he’s made this season
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Do you prefer Trippier to leave over Aurier?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    Christ, that was dull. Sometimes teams just cancel each other out, and defenses can be on top. ;)
  6. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I agree that Aurier is the odd man out. Trippier far superior for me. But KWP looks to have it all. So quick, so smart and accurate with the final ball. The way he burned Grey was priceless.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    In regards to age, contract situation, and more upside yes I would sell Tripps who will be 28 at the start of next season and hasnt been able to cement RB as his own.

I realize that Aurier hasnt been consistent either, but he's younger and more suited to how Poch wants the fullbacks to play so I'm willing to stick with him.

But, I said this way back after the Newcastle game. KWP is ready to play week in week out for us. I've read plenty about him and how well he's done in the u23s over the last couple of years. He deserves game time and he deserves to start over both of these guys.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Tripps is the odd man out for me
  9. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    Love games like this. No pressure and great entertainment. Just two teams wanting to have a go.

Lets not get carried away with whos better than who though. If Trippier is to go, we need to buy a right back. Trips is our best RB at the minute. KWP could be but performing in dead rubbers isnt the same as performing when it counts. Although im surprised he hasnt had more games with how poor Aurier is.

Lamela and Rose were also very good today but again, they need to do it in the proper matches. I'm glad Rose had a better game, as he should be a big player for us but the cynic in me suggests it was a shop window performance.
    Dave,
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Well hopefully KWP will start and it won't matter much. KWP MOTM for sure. Two starts and MOTM in both.
  11. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    You would have to be concerned about whether KWP has the physicality to deal with more powerful players , especially in the air when defending , we cant win 5-4 every week.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mandy Well-Known Member

Mandy
    Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    I’m glad we got 3 points to end the season, third place is a good finish all things considered.
    Fingers crossed for 2018/19 now.
  13. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    It's a weakness for him but I'll take his quickness in return. I doubt he's worse in the air than Trippier and Rose.
  14. K-Frost Active Member

K-Frost
    Ratings:
    +377 / 14 / -0
    Wouldn't say he has it all, his strength will still be developing and he'll need a lot more games to improve his positional awareness but technically for a full back he's impressive.
  15. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    Is this a sarcastic post? He was at fault for the first 2 goals and his positioning was terrible. Not saying he is a bad player; and he did look great going forward; but in defence he was a 12th man for Leicester.
  16. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    How many times has he played this year?

I’ll put the defensive lapses down to rust from not playing but if you actually read up about him you’ll find that if we don’t take advantage of what we have in him and play him regularly we will miss out on a tremendous player
  17. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    I have seen nothing to suggest KWP is ready to be our starting right back. The question is has he shown enough to be Trippier’s backup, in which case Aurier could be shown the door.

KWP has a lot of promise and has done some good things offensively but is miles away from the finished product defensively. He’s a real liability there. He actually reminds me of Walker and Rose early in their Spurs careers except even worse defensively. But he’s young and he’s got the athleticism. I think he’s got a good chance of developing the defensive skills to equal those guys, but it will probably take years. If Aurier hadn’t been semi-dreadful this year, I’d suggest loaning KWP our to get a lot more game time. As is, I’m not sure what’s best. Aurier was a good player at PSG wasn’t he? I hate selling him after a year, maybe at a loss or break even.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    You can't take much knowledge player wise from this game. It was just an entertaining, end of season, nothing really to play for, defenseless, mad game of football. I thought most players were dreadful at actually doing their jobs, at times they were all over the place - so I wouldn't judge any of em, based on this game.
    Great to win, good to finish 3rd, pleased Kane got to 30 for the season, fantastic to have CL at the new stadium, and I do love beating Leicester. But there are obvious flaws, and positions that are gonna need sorting in the Summer. Hopefully with Poch, as his post match comments could be a little worrying..........COYS!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Pochettino’s post match comments I like, by the sounds of it he has truly assessed the entire operation over the past 4 seasons and feels we have gone as far as we can go, conducting business the way we do....it may be time to rethink how we do business as a club, or Pochettino, like many a player before him may seek employment somewhere else, I’m sure he has offers....
    Short version is, it sounds like he is gonna put the ball firmly in Levys court and we will probably have two possibilities ahead this summer, a truly exciting summer looking for top players, or we’r looking for a new manager....
  20. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Spoken like a person who has seen him 2/3 this season and made their judgment based on that

There’s plenty of match reports from his WC last summer. Go read some he was phoenominal for England.

The defensive lapses won’t be as frequent if he plays more.

Trippier will be shown the door before Aurier.
  21. moe888 Well-Known Member

moe888
    Ratings:
    +4,195 / 53 / -0
    Between Aurier, Trippier and KWP, the choice is really difficult as none are really good enough in one way or another. Attackers lose Trippier easily but he puts in a decentish cross. KWP and Aurier havent been that impressive defensively eiter.. KWP might benefit from a season long loan but Aurier probably has to go.

Edit: just read you had already mentioned loaning out KWP, in which case I agree. Still not the best choices in RB for us., its one of our weakest positions.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. The Slikmeister Active Member

The Slikmeister
    Ratings:
    +393 / 10 / -0
    A mixed bag from KWP in this game to be sure but I firmly believe that more game time will help to iron out some of those defensive deficiencies we saw early on.
    I don't thinks he's ready to be our first choice RB just yet but I'd have no issues if Poch rotated him with a first pick next season & gave him a real chance to establish himself & make a claim for that spot.
    I think its unlikely that we'll buy another RB this summer & if it was my choice I'd pick Trippier as our 1st choice. Unfortunately I just cant see Spurs writing Aurier & £25m off after what has been a 'car crash' 1st season so with regret I think Tripps could well end up being the odd man out.
  23. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Pretty well reasoned there.
  24. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    Except that we’d go into next season with Aurier and KWP as our right backs. I just have a hard time seeing that...it has disaster written all over it unless one of them steps up their game defensively big time. Trippier is a mediocre defender but right now he is certainly better then the other 2. He doesn’t make their mental mistakes.
  25. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    I’ve watched him as often as he has played for Spurs. Which is as often as he has played high level competitive football.

Things I care more about a player than their performance in an U20 World Cup:

Do they call their mom on Mother’s Day?

Do they wear stylish socks?

Their Wunderlic score

Can they do the Kid n Play dance?

How are they at dizzy bat races?

I’ve got more but I think you get the picture.
  26. NYYiddo1019 Well-Known Member

NYYiddo1019
    Ratings:
    +1,611 / 43 / -0
    I think we are sorted at RB with two of KWP, Aurier and Trippier. I have no doubt that first two will be better. KWP with another season of experience and Aurier with a proper pre-season under Poch. Tripper will probably be sold to raise funds. What I think we really need is a new LB. Davies is good, but he's not a starter and tends to tire somewhat easily, as we've seen. he lacks the pace also to be our main LB. Rose is likely on his way out and was out of form, although he did put a good performance against Leicester. A new LB is a must with Davies as our second choice.
  27. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,141 / 35 / -0
    I agree that his potential is huge. In terms of pure footballing skill, he is already beyond Tripps and Aurier. I do share others' concerns that his defensive acumen is really lacking. I guess the same was said about Rose at times so that is something he should be able to improve. But I don't think he should be our starter next season. Could live with him as second choice.
  28. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    Ok so you’re saying you haven’t seen him play that much

I know you’re trying to be a sarcastic dick but it’s not working
  29. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    You are calling out him being "phenomenal" in an U-20 World Cup. I'm pointing out that this is extremely low value information. The few appearances he's made for Spurs will tell us 10x more about him than how he played against a bunch of teenagers.
  30. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +13,019 / 28 / -0
    It’s the same thing they said about Rose, however if you were compare the two at KWP age he is miles ahead of where Danny was

I think KWP deserves to at least start half of our preseason games and if he shows what he has so far then there’s no reason not to start him the first couple of games next season

The key to his development is what happens with Tripps over the summer.

It also seems like most on here haven’t seen a lot of him compared to those that have attended the youth games over the years. Those people can’t stop raving about him