[OMT] Huddersfield A [PL] Sat 29 Sept 2018 3:00 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by MichiganStateSpur18, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    Solid win. Not a lot you can do if ifs a game full of stoppages.

A clean sheet, Kane scoring again after a rest, a bit more pace with Son back.

Downside was the injury to Vertonghen. It must have been that League Cup tie that he never played in :whistle:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Dave,
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    Nonetheless, we're racking up an impressive number of assorted muscle injuries. I'm glad Lamela was able to stay on the bench at least.
  3. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,809 / 73 / -0
    I thought we were better today than our general form this season, but it's still well off the level we are capable of playing at. But 3 significant improvements today: we dealt with set pieces into the box with aplomb, our fullbacks both played well (and both were involved in one of our goals), and Kane played better (though he doesn't look to be all the way back).

Still, I think we can all see that Huddersfield are not very good, but they nonetheless dominated our midfield for periods of the game. I thought we were better when Wanyama came on, and I think he should be the preferred first choice DM over Dier.

Moura looked bright today, a shame he didn't score.

One would think Gazzanigga has claimed the #2 GK spot.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    I thought Rose and Sanchez had excellent games.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Decent showing today and not really much to dissect. It was funny seeing is have so little possession. Barca have failed to win their last three games I believe so things are looking better for us. A win would do a world of confidence for our chances of getting out of the group.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    Gazzaniga should be made the No 2 'keeper. Neither Dier nor Wanyama fill me with confidence. Dier was all over the place with some poor passing. Rose and Kane are looking better with each game, but I dread the game against Barcelona. If we sit back they will run rings around us and if we go on the front foot we will be left open at the back. We still do not have the strength in depth to compete properly, which is an indictment of our transfer policy over the past several seasons.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,316 / 78 / -0
    Eric Dier is so under-appreciated imo. His passing is poor, we know and it needs to improve but hes not in the team for that. Hes there to protect the back line and does it extremely well. Hes hardly ever out of position or goes missing and always there to cover.

We need a CM who can not only pass well but is always in a position to take the ball. It would make Diers job easier. We dont have anybody who is a master passer. Not even Eriksen. We concede possession far too much and too easily and there are players' out there who need to take more responsibility than Dier for that.
    Dave,
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Can’t echo that loud enough....
    Right about now, imagine a Modric or even a prime Carrick playing in there along side Dier, just gives us a completely different dimension...
    We all love the moose and there are certain games he suits us to a tee, but forward passing just isn’t his forte...undecided yet on Winks, due mainly to injuries and not getting a long run in the team.....
    So back to the summer nonsense of not being able to find a player to improve us at the right price is just complete and utter rubbish....god do I really really hate Levys attitude at times, he just frustrates the crap outa me, we are so close and he can’t see it!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    I do not particularly disagree with that, but at the moment Dier is having to take additional responsibility for passing the ball more than he would have to if we had a decent passer. Dier passing forward is generally pretty good, but his poor passes are usually passes back to the players/goalkeeper behind him.
  10. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,438 / 51 / -0
    I think it's a skull problem with Dier, which should be fixable. He doesn't need to be making blind passes into dangerous areas. It's not like he is executing poorly. He's more like doing things that he just shouldn't attempt. He just needs to get it straight that when he doesn't have a clear option he can just kick it out of bounds.

And just on a tactical note, is kicking the ball out of bounds really worse than passing it back to the keeper? It seems like the chances of retaining the ball back to the same position on the pitch are about the same, and with a lot less danger.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,087 / 124 / -0
    Anyone who doesn’t understand why sometimes some of us fans get over critical of the team need to understand that it’s 24/7 banter between friends/work colleagues/family who support rival teams, it’s relentless....
    I just listened to a solid hour of “In the last 30 years Spurs have had more stadiums than thropies”.......it wears you down after a while, especially when you have little ammunition to fire back with!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +302 / 62 / -0
    ...should be interesting to see what Poch does for Barcelona - there aren't too many solid options for DM rotation between Winks, Sissoko, and Wanyama...
    COYS
  13. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,104 / 22 / -0
    He could always play 10 at the back in front of Gazzaniga.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. delboy57 Well-Known Member

delboy57
    Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -0
    12 in front would be better!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    Damn that's a good one too.