[OMT] Juventus A [UCL] Tue 13th Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by USspur, Feb 11, 2018.

1. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / 9 / -0
    Another match day, another massive game. I think I read the stat that they have only conceded once in their last sixteen games. About time for them to concede another couple.

Give me a draw with an away goal and I’ll be plenty happy. Give me all three points and I’ll be over the moon.

Saw Toby won’t be (allegedly) making the trip to Turin, which is too bad. I was really hoping to get back to three at the back. With that said, I think we’ll see some rotation at wingback and center midfield.

Lloris; Aurier, Sanchez, Jan, Rose; Wanyama, Dier; Son, Eriksen, Alli; Kane
    1-1
  2. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    They have some key players missing and they're not as good as most people think they are. I bet on a lot of football so Serie A is something I've paid attention to, they'll defend well like most good Italian teams do but they wont be use how we press. That'll be the difference in the two games
  3. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,448 / 63 / -0
    Toby not going is a real downer. Seems like a very strange decision and I hope there’s not something bigger there in terms of unhappiness due to his contract situation. I’m really surprised we haven’t signed him yet, this is so unlike Levy.

Our form is good though, most of our team is healthy, we can rotate a few key players from Saturday, Aurier and Rose are the right guys for this match IMO and are on full rest, Juve maybe is not as good as prior years and has injury issues....feels to me like we have a good chance of getting a result and are at least unlikely to be beaten badly.

Odds for the match:

Juve 53/50 49%
    Draw 12/5 29%
    Spurs 7/2 22%
  4. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,952 / 68 / -0
    I'd quite like to see a few changes from Saturday. Not because I don't think that team would win, but because we've actually got a very decent squad and 1 or 2 players may be better suited to this fixture. For example, I think I'd like Aurier to come in at RB, & I suspect he will. I'd also quite like to see big Vic in midfield - he's shown that he is back to full fitness and 90min in a big game would do him the world of good. As great as Dembele has been these last few games, I do have concerns about whether he'll be able to keep it up for yet another massive game, and I think its the perfect opportunity to give him a rest and bring Wanyama back in.

I certainly wouldn't object to Lamela starting either. I'm not sure who for, maybe Dele, but Dele has been great these last few games and I also cannot see Poch dropping him anyway. Thing is, I'm not sure how suited to this game Dele is - we ALL know how Italians like to defend and I would hate to see Dele react. Also, Lamela not only knows Italian football well, he has excelled over there and I think he would relish this game. It may be a bit out of left field, but I think putting Lamela in from the start could be a shrewd move.

I could see Toby coming back in for this one too, given how he was rested for the NLD, so that's all a bit strange. I'd really like to see Lucas too, although he'll most likely come off the bench for now.
  5. VASpur Active Member

VASpur
    Ratings:
    +301 / 13 / -0
    He has been out for months and only played 90 minutes. He is far from match fit for this type of game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,448 / 63 / -0
    Well, that’s the party line but it smells fishy to me. “Only” 90 minutes is a full match, so how is he not match fit. Yes it was against minnows but to me then the next logical step is to play him in a much tougher match, ie Juve. I’m not sure what the strategy is, does he have to next play against a PL bottom feeder and then play against a mid table team and then against a top 6 team before we let him near the CL? It’s excessive gradualism to me. He played 90 minutes in a competitive match successfully and to me the next step is to play 90 minutes in another competitive match the following week before he starts losing the match fitness gained from the first 90 minutes.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    You've clearly never had a serious injury....just because he's played a full match doesnt mean that he's fully fit. Sure, he's lasted through it and is healthy but theres a lot to analyze to how the injury how responded. He's most likely been working with the physio to evaluate the muscle and how its responded to the stress its been put on from that game. They're obviously treading carefully with him as Poch tends to do with players who are coming back from a long period out, see Lameal and Wanyama for examples.

He isnt going to magically lose anything over a weeks time because he's most likely been training fully with the group each day. It's not the end of the world that he's going to be left at home for the Juve game. Like I told you already, we've done fine without him and if we play like we have recently we'll get something out of the game making the return leg even more important and then perhaps we'll see him
  8. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,448 / 63 / -0
    Of course I’ve had a serious injury. Who hasn’t? What a silly personal attack.

And yes, it’s possible, maybe even probable, that they saw something they didn’t like in terms of how he responded in the first game. But I can’t recall seeing this from our team before...where we play a surefire starter 90 minutes, everything seems to go well, there’s no apparent injury, and then he gets dropped from the team for a key game a week later. I’m just saying it’s fishy. And it makes one consider other possible explanations.

Your “like I told you before” line is condescending and unnecessary: like you’re a Spurs expert and I’m an idiot? I know what you said before. I expressed my belief (backed my the betting public) that this is going to be a difficult tie, and that Toby playing makes us meaningfully better. You seem to think that playing Toby in this match does not make a meaningful difference for us. It’s fine to disagree on that. Just don’t be a jerk about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    what part of what I said was a personal attack? Because I assumed you've never had a serious injury? wtf....

I'm repeating myself with you so theres no point in going around in circles about this, hence I'm pointing out that I've told you things already.

Here's the million dollar question....you want Toby to play, who are you taking out of the team? They've all been in great form so I cant wait to read your answer.

I'll also point out that while he's not a regular, Harry Winks also played a full 90 against Newport and wasnt in the squad over the weekend. So, going by that and the fact Toby played as well and wasnt in the squad shows me Poch is being cautious with injured players and their involvement at this moment. This tends to be the norm with him with bringing back injured players, see Lamela and Wanyama for other examples

ps...I'm not trying to be an asshole to you...
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -0
    God I hate Mondays even more now. Just bring on this game already!
  11. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,078 / 76 / -0
    Toby won't be travelling to Turin
  12. himel420 Well-Known Member

himel420
    Ratings:
    +2,078 / 76 / -0
    Lloris
    Aurier Dier Sanchez Vert Davies
    Wanyama Eriksen
    Lamela Son
    Kane
    • Like Like x 1
  13. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +633 / 79 / -0
    No radical switch to 3 at the back. No rotating CB's. No experimenting with 2 strikers.

Calm and caution in the first half. Assess their formation, players and tactics.

Come out in the 2nd half, dominate posession and don't give them a sniff. Get a goal, ideally around 75th minute to reduce their window for a come back.

0-1
    Son 75'
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    Mauricio Pochettino: Tottenham won't change approach vs. Juventus

And Pochettino said: "My idea is to keep playing the same way, to try and be a little bit braver if we can, while being clever because their level is one of the best in Europe.

"Watching the last few games, we are comfortable in the way we are playing and the shape we use [4-2-3-1]. I think the players know we don't have to change too much and in the last three Premier League games they have started to feel good.

"It is important sometimes not to change too much, unless you want to rotate to provide more freshness to win.
  15. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,739 / 31 / -0
    That's an interesting aspect and think you're on to something. The few times I watch Serie A the build up play is in slow motion compared to the PL.
  16. Tiebinho New Member

Tiebinho
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    For me:
    Lloris
    Aurier Sanchez Vert Davies
    Dembele Dier
    Eriksen Delli Son
    Kane

No need to rotate only maybe at the backs because we are playing in Italy and Juventus will try to dominate the game so more defensive certainty there. It's important for us to play our football and try to score a away goal what is so important in European Football.
    Bye the way the next match is against Rochdale this weekend where we can play the same team as against Newport home.
    This team then can have a rest to be ready for the palace game 13 days later...
  17. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,398 / 30 / -0
    Whats with the bizarre conspiracy theories around Toby? Just think about it in the simplest terms. Poch knows Toby is our best defender and if he isn't playing it's because he isn't ready. Trust Poch and the medical staff know what they're doing. As if Poch is going to not play a player for not signing a contract with over 2 years left and saying absolutely nothing negative in the media.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,214 / 45 / -0
    It's hard to ease a CB into the lineup. They typically play the whole game. You don't want to start a CB that is not sure to finish and you don't want to waste a substitution on him and bring him off early. If TA was a forward he might come in for the last 20 minutes in his current state. But that's not an option as a CB.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. lillywhiteyank Active Member

lillywhiteyank
    Ratings:
    +325 / 6 / -0
    Juve 0-1 Spurs
    (Lamela 79')
  20. Del Boy N17 Active Member

Del Boy N17
    Ratings:
    +557 / 14 / -0
    Feel bad dropping anyone from the team that beat both Utd & Arsenal, however if we were to make any changes I’d bring in Aurier, Rose & Wanyama, that said I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team that started against Arsenal, & also wouldn’t be at all surprised if Poch started Sissoko !!!! Fingers crossed we get an away goal & go from there ........ COYS !!!!
  21. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / 9 / -0
  22. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,048 / 30 / -0
    No Foyth either? Is he injured? Does the club not realize how paranoid we all are? When they do weird stuff like this we interpret it as: Toby off to Barcelona, Foyth sustained career ending knee injury, and KWP pushes for move to Chelsea where he knows he'll get a loan. :eek:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. spursman18 Super Moderators

spursman18
    Ratings:
    +12,708 / 24 / -0
    taken out of CL to have Moura come in
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,048 / 30 / -0
    Oh sure, be rational about it!:) Guess it makes sense since Davies can cover LCB since Rose will likely start at LB.
  25. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +928 / 43 / -0
    I don't think Rose will start. I'm expecting the same line up that we played Saturday. Maybe Aurier for Trips but that's it.
  26. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,048 / 30 / -0
    Poch's comments have calmed me from the ledge a bit. Guess he's just being cautious. Hopefully Toby takes out all his frustration on Roachdale.
  27. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +459 / 8 / -0
    I’d start Davies ahead of Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  28. Italian Spurs Fan New Member

Italian Spurs Fan
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    someone comes to turin tomorrow?
  29. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,214 / 45 / -0
    Lloris
    Aurier Sanchez Vert Rose
    Dier Lamela
    Delli Eriksen Son
    Kane

Just to be different
  30. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,118 / 9 / -0
    Juventus v Spurs - team news 12 February 2018 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

Mauricio Pochettino reported in his pre-match press conference at the Allianz Stadium that Toby Alderweireld, Juan Foyth and Kyle Walker-Peters hadn't flown out to Italy and remained at Hotspur Way to work.

Asked further about Toby, Mauricio said: "He had a massive injury and from day one, we designed a plan to provide him with the best tools to recover as soon as possible and to be stronger than before.

"He has started to work with the team and it's our judgement that he needs to build his fitness.

"We were lucky to have the replay against Newport for him to start to feel the competition. It's all going well and we'll continue to assess him day by day."