[OMT] Juventus H [CL] Wed 7th Mar 2018 THIS IS THE BIG ONE FOLKS!

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by pistols_at_dawn, Mar 4, 2018.

1. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    ALL HANDS ON DECK!

CALLING ALL SPURS, FULL OF VOICE, PINTS IN HAND!

THIS IS THE BIG KAHUNA!!

THIS CL MATCH COULD DEFINE THE VERY FUTURE OF SPURS. GO THROUGH AND WE'RE ON A NEW PATH!

Lloris
    Trips - Sanchez - Vert - Davies
    Dier - Dembele
    Dele - Eriksen - Son
    Kane
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    Looks good.

I would also like to see the likes of Lamela, Moura, & Llorente come on because we are winning (not losing).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,805 / 73 / -0
    Good lineup. I wouldn’t mind seeing Rose instead of Davies, but that’s nit picking.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I think that's the lineup I would go with as well. All though I would consider playing Lucas if he were deemed ready by Poch instead of Dele. Dele has had an up and down season for what is expected of him. I also think Lucas adds another dimension to the team that we don't usually get with any combination of our AMs without him involved. Really I would say Eriksen is a definite, but then I might go with either Dele or Son and Lucas. If Juve get a couple of quick goals again and then set back on D, I think Lucas HAS to come in the game. We have no other player that can unlock defenses like he can and move the ball through a crowd to set up goals. I know he's still new to the league and team, but he's a unique player relative to the rest of our roster.

Would definitely play Trips and Davies. I wouldn't mess around at FB for this match. Davies and Trippier are without a doubt our best FBs right now. Lloris, Vert, Kane, Eriksen, Dembele and Dier are absolute musts. And without Toby available, Sanchez is a must as well.

Have to say, I have a bit of concern that the team could choke. But I think that's the only way we lose. If the team plays up to standard, I am pretty confident we can win this game or at least get the draw we would need to go through.
  5. lillywhiteyank Well-Known Member

lillywhiteyank
    Ratings:
    +433 / 11 / -0
    Juve will attack hard early to try to get a couple cheap early goals. Presuming we can avoid that, we should get stronger. BTW what is the weather supposed to do?
  6. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 32 / -0
    Will Dybala be back for this match? That's my greatest concern. Other than that I feel rather confident. It will be cold and Juventus will 80,000 Spurs fans against them. I'm certain that they aren't looking forward to this match.

However there's no room for the silly mistakes we had the last time. If we're a 100% concentrated for 90 minutes we got this. We are notoriously hard to beat when everything clicks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  7. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    The team choked during the first ten minutes in the first leg. Clearly the occasion got to them, but they overcame that and I don't think they will make the same mistake again. A very tough game, but with the right attitude we can get through to the quarter finals and then we have no reason to fear any other team.
  8. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Anyone care to run down the possible outcomes? By score I mean.
  9. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    Spurs 5-0 Juventus. Thats the only outcome I can figure on.
  10. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Pretty straight forward.

Any Tottenham win, we go through.
    Any Juve win, they go through.

0-0 or 1-1, we go through.
    2-2, extra time.
    3-3 or higher, they go through.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Dybala is 100% back. He scored a cracking injury time winner for them against Lazio at the weekend.

Let's not kid ourselves, this will be an incredibly difficult challenge. We will need to be at our best, and have a bit of luck go our way. It's not as simple as "having the right attitude" or "not bottling it." We're playing Juve in the last 16 of the CL, this isn't Huddersfield at home.

I'm just glad we have the opportunity on such a grand stage.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 32 / -0
    Yeah I agree if we go through it will be a major achievement. Wasn't meant to sound like it was an easy task. However, if we consider the circumstances of the match we will go through if we can hinder them from scoring. A 0-0 or 1-1 result will do.

Hence my point, I feel like we gifted them two easy goals and basically even a third with the second penalty in first leg. Of course there were quality involved from Juventus to force our lads to make those mistakes but the first goal for example was totally down to a blip in concentration in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  13. K-Frost Active Member

K-Frost
    Ratings:
    +377 / 14 / -0
    No chance MP would drop Dele. Despite an up and down Season I believe he's started in all of our important fixtures, it's clear he is seen as one of our most important attacking players, he got an Assist against Huddersfield as well and had an overall decent game, so that'll probably cement his starting position.

Even though I'd personally prefer Trippier, I can see him starting Aurier to better deal with the pace of Douglas Costa. Main problem with that is Aurier is more prone to a mistake than most in our team, and loses concentration like no other.

Looking at the speed Juve counter attack at + having Dybala back. I think this'll be the most difficult game of the Season bar Man City at the Etihad.
  14. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / 33 / -0
    Aurier is suspended.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    Guess that means KWP will be on the bench
  16. K-Frost Active Member

K-Frost
    Ratings:
    +377 / 14 / -0
    Oh yeah. With that the starting lineup more or less picks itself then.
  17. Ginola'sWhiteHeart Well-Known Member

Ginola'sWhiteHeart
    Ratings:
    +1,538 / 16 / -0
    It will be difficult but given our overall good form (undefeated in 17 consecutive games) & our impressive comeback against an experienced Juve side bodes well for us. We dominated that game after a shaky first 10 mins & it was Juve on the ropes.

If we come out strong & impose our game on them, we should be fine. I can't imagine Juve not shtting themselves coming to play us at Wembely after what we did to them in Turin. That will be playing on even their most experienced player's mnds. ie "how did that young team come here & play like that against us in front of our 45,0000 fans?"

@rhonkt posted the various outcomes. Just don't want a high scoring game unless we are getting all the goals.
  18. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,141 / 35 / -0
    If we don't concede, we move on. Simples.

----------------------Lloris----------------------
    Tripps-----Sanchez-----Vert--------Davies
    ------------Wanyama--Dembele------------
    Son------------------Alli---------------Eriksen
    ----------------------Kane-----------------------

Gotta admit I considered three at the back because Tripps and Davies will really have a hard time with Juve's speed. Don't get caught too far forward, lads. Good chance that Poch will play Lamela and Lucas instead of Son and Alli, but I wouldn't. Let Son have a crack at them. Would be okay with Alli on the bench, but that's a tough call. If we had Toby I'd definitely play him in a back three and start Son and Lucas for the counters, but oh well. Spurs 1 Juve 0. COYS!
  19. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +876 / 22 / -0
    I have similar misgivings and think Poch will at least *consider* three at the back. In which case:

Lloris
    Dier - Sanchez - Vert
    Trips - Wanyama - Dembele - Davies
    Son - Kane - Eriksen
  20. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    Looks like we should be playing with a defensive mindset. We need to make this a low scoring game. Of course we always play defence first.

I can't see Lucas starting here, just because we can't have any mental mistakes. We need our most experienced lineup.

So I think

Lloris
    Dier - Sanchez - Vert
    Trips - Wanyama - Dembele - Davies
    Eriksen - Kane - Son

With Eriksen on the right for his long crosses over the top, like last game and Son on the left where he has been playing well.

changing to... if we fall behind

Lloris
    Dier - Sanchez - Vert
    Trips - Wanyama - Davies
    Eriksen - Dele - Son
    Kane

or maybe

Lloris
    Trips - Sanchez - Vert - Davies
    Wanyama - Eriksen
    Lamela - Dele - Son
    Kane
  21. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    2-2 is a tricky scoreline to take into a second leg at home.

I almost feel like it would be better if we were down 2-1. Then we could just go all out.

It's hard to get away from the fact that a 0-0 is all we need. Of course we never play for 0-0, so tactically there are a lot of questions.
  22. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,548 / 33 / -0
    That's a pretty insane thing to say. At 2-1 if they score early it's very bad news, we'd need 2 to just get to extra time. The 2 away goals are huge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,099 / 22 / -0
    Seriously?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,359 / 60 / -0
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. madmike Well-Known Member

madmike
    Ratings:
    +628 / 12 / -0
    I think it’s been said but this is going to be tricky.
    They know exactly what to do. They need to win or high scoring draw. They are going to go for it big time and don’t really care if we score first. They will attack whatever.
    Trickier for us.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  26. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Calm down folks, I said I "ALMOST" would rather be down 2-1.

I'm just making the point that this is the first time in Poch's career that we're basically playing for 0-0.
  27. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,429 / 50 / -0
    I think it would be wise for Pochettino to come out with some sort of special surprise for this game. They will certainly have a surprise for us and it would be great to cross them up. I'm not betting on it though. Most likely we will give them the standard high line with press.
  28. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0
    I doubt we will change our style in any way and will go with the line up that has been playing so well this year. We need to boss possession and control the game at our pace.

Juventus will play the typical european style. They will flap on the floor as soon as we attempt a challenage. When we have the ball they will immediately break up play with a soft free kick. This can work to our advantage if we can get the ball to Alli in dangerous positions around the box. Lets hope he's wearing his best speedos.

I expect Lamela to get the nod over Son; simply for his defensive abilities. Toby doesn't have the minutes under his belt to start this one; and I expect any injury to Vert/Sanchez will mean Dier drops into CB and Wanyama comes on.

If we go 1 up and Juve pile on the pressure in the 2nd; it would be the perfect chance to get Son on. His pace will force their defence a few meters back as they won't want to risk him running in behind them.

Lloris
    Trip - Sanchez -Vert - Davies
    Dier - Dembele
    Alli - Eriksen - Lamela
    Kane
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. AJ201 Well-Known Member

AJ201
    Ratings:
    +917 / 25 / -0
    Playing Kane in goal will certainly give them a shock!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. downunderspur Active Member

downunderspur
    Ratings:
    +161 / 5 / -0
    And that will leave them open to the fast counter attack that we play so well. In many ways we are a better side when teams come at us rather than when they park the bus. We need to press them hard but not over commit. As I said quick counters through Erickson, Kane, Ali or Son and look out.
    Spurs 3-1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1