[OMT] Liverpool A [PL] Sun 4th Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by USspur, Feb 2, 2018.

1. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 12 / -0
    Expecting more or less the same side as v ManUnited. Tough game though and doubt we keep a clean sheet. 2-2

Lloris; Aurier, Sanchez, Jan, Davies; Wanyama, Dier; Son, Alli, Eriksen; Kane.
    - Wanyama for Dembele because we all know how Dembele is playing more than once a week.
    - Can see Sissoko or Lamela getting a start here as well to keep legs fresh.

Salah, Kane, Firmino, Sanchez
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 12 / -0
  3. USspur Well-Known Member

USspur
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 12 / -0
    Lucas Moura unlikely to make Tottenham debut against Liverpool | London Evening Standard

My expectation is that the player can help us in the next three months but we cannot put too much pressure on him. He needs to adapt.
    “He needs to get to know the players, the league, a new philosophy, a new team. There are plenty of examples of players who needed time here – Heung-min Son, Erik Lamela, Moussa Sissoko. Many players with a lot of quality struggle for six months, a year, to adapt to a team, a club, a league.
    “We don’t want to create too many expectations. Then, if Lucas is amazing, scores a lot of goals and we achieve everything we want, fantastic. But if he doesn’t play well from the beginning it doesn’t mean this is a mistake. We have to be calm about what we expect.”
  4. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,528 / 33 / -0
    Sounds like our whole squad is back in training. We're going to need them all so not a moment too soon.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    I wonder if Toby will play. We sure could use him against this Liverpool attack.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Mattads1882 Well-Known Member

Mattads1882
    Ratings:
    +1,528 / 33 / -0
    4 at the back has been working and we could use Sanchez's pace. I think we give Toby more time, this would probably be the worst fixture to bring him back in if he isn't 100%
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,734 / 49 / -0
    Hard to predict how this will go, if Liverpool show up things could be difficult, and we will require a similar Man U type performance, but whether we can is anybody"s guess. One things for sure , I hope MP has learnt from last seasons game and gets the set up right this time.
  8. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,020 / 21 / -0
    Yeah, I'll be surprised if he plays tomorrow, unless we are winning comfortably and he comes on for ten minutes, but better to give him more time. We have important games soon, against Arsenal and in the CL.
  9. basskadet VIP Member

basskadet
    Ratings:
    +7,981 / 69 / -0
    I hope we play differently to how we did against Man Utd.

I've heard people say "we should go for it!" - that's the LAST thing we do at Anfield. Liverpool haven't lost at Home to any top 6 team in over 2 years, and it is because the top 6 team all "come at them". Even the best of the best, Manchestet City this year, lost at Anfield because they tried to press high and attack, but the likes of Swansea won because they defended deep, sucked Liverpool forward and hit them on the break. We can play that way, and we don't even need to be as negative as some other teams in doing so but, if we do, we will not only expose Liverpool's weakness at home, but they'll never expect us to sit back.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shacklebolt 'Ello

Shacklebolt
    Ratings:
    +1,767 / 32 / -0
    Exaxtly. If we play with composure and minimize the space for Salah, Mané etc I’m certain we can win tomorrow. Liverpool aren’t good enough over 90 minutes to keep us from creating chances. They are however good enough to outscore us if we give them the opportunity.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    I agree with you. It would be foolhardy to try and go toe to toe with them at Anfield. This is also why I feel it would be a huge boost if Toby can play. 3 in the back seems like the right formation to me if were gonna soak up their pressure. With Eriksen, Son, and Kane up front to turn defense into offense.
  12. AlabamaSpur Well-Known Member

AlabamaSpur
    Ratings:
    +1,268 / 54 / -0
    This is a game where we need to defend and look to counter. If we go wide open then they have the pace to hurt us. Their goalkeeping and defense is really suspect.
  13. BrakeYawSelf Well-Known Member

BrakeYawSelf
    Ratings:
    +1,401 / 235 / -0
    I hope they are cautious and motivated for this game. Liverpool worry me more than Man U. We have not been good against Pool the past few years. Not as well as we should have at least. We need to get 3 points from this game I think. They are one of our main contenders at this point for a top 4 finish and I do think they've improved since last year. Aside from losing Coutinho. But the team as a whole looks better.

Makes me very nervous going into Anfield.

I like the idea of 3 at the back and playing counter attacking football.
  14. BrooklynYid Well-Known Member

BrooklynYid
    Ratings:
    +2,125 / 34 / -0
    Sit deep, defend, hit them on the counter. Lump the ball into their box and watch hilarity ensue. Honestly, not a pretty style of football but it's a style that will steal us 3 points in this match. I can live with that. COYS!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    If we get 3 points coz Eriksen gives 2 handies and a BJ to VVD, Firminho, and Sane at the halfway line, I can live with that. Whatever it takes.
  16. TheSpurEST Well-Known Member

TheSpurEST
    Ratings:
    +1,144 / 33 / -0
    Few points of info about the game -
    1) The two sides meeting today are THE in form teams of league. From last 6 games Pool has got 15 points and we 14 points. Over 10 last rounds we are 2nd and Pool third after ManC
    2) Last time we won at Anfield was at May 2011. Our line was lead by Crouchy, supported by Lennon and VDV. They had Carroll, Suarez and Kuyt on the field. Backlines were lead by legends - King on our side and Carra on theirs.
    3) Since then we have drawn 2 and lost 5 (!) at their ground. Our results against Klopp - 1 draw 2 losses @anfield.
    4) Before our win at Wembley we did not manage to get win from the fixture in TEN games in a row (!!) 7 losses and 2 draws, including 5 losses in row between March 2013 and Feb 2015.

But our squad is fully fit and we cant look back too much. Only forward. Have to make this statistic look better!!!
    I think first 20 minutes will be cruitial for the game. If we manage to be fully focused and stay 100% concentrated during first 20 minutes we should have a fair chance. As mentinoned few times - their forward line is good but defence is error prone. Also I would expect us dominate the midfield area as Lallana is out, Can and Hendo are not in best form and Wijnaldum is no match for our midfielders.

COME ON YOUUUU SPUURS! Get a nice result from here!!
  17. unclepeas Active Member

unclepeas
    Ratings:
    +320 / 6 / -0
    I don't think he'll be featuring in today's game mate.

Mane, on the other hand... :thumb::p
  18. unclepeas Active Member

unclepeas
    Ratings:
    +320 / 6 / -0
    Although Toby and Rose are back in training, I hear it's unlikely they'll start.

So with that in mind...

Lloris
    Dier* Sanchez Verts
    Aurier Dembele Wanyama Davies
    Son Alli Eriksen
    Kane

Toby for Dier if he's ready*
    Utilising our back 3/5 to reduce the threat of their counter/wings
  19. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +457 / 4 / -0
    If we're not prepared for Liverpool and their fast pace and swarming, from the start, It'll be the same story at Anfield as it always is.

If we play with a high back line of 4, Liverpool will murder us imo, we just can't do it - they've got too much pace.

Don't let the game get away from us in the first half an hour, and we have a chance of a positive result.

COYS!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,281 / 78 / -0
    Got to disagree with the approach that most have suggested. I'd go all out to beat them. Just like we did at Wembley. When City went there, they got beaten due to constant errors. If we defend properly, theres every chance we will win the game.

We have an awful record away at the top teams and many times weve invited teams onto us.

Whatever we do, a draw is good.
    Dave,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Lucian Active Member

Lucian
    Ratings:
    +339 / 8 / -0
    Yep, 12 players should be capable of winning :))

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    Ha! I guess late at night I just portmanteaud his first and last name.
  23. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    12 players aside, I like this lineup. I think I’d drop Dembele to get to 11 players. It’ll be tough for him playing again after just playing Wednesday. Slip Eriksen back into CM and let him launch the counterattack from there.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. micky jay Well-Known Member

micky jay
    Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    I was lucky to be at Wembley when we gave them a thumping I cant believe they will be as bad as they were on that day. This will be a tough one for us, sorry to say I would take a point now.
  25. Hiccup99 Active Member

Hiccup99
    Ratings:
    +86 / 3 / -0
    I totally agree with you about the dangers of playing a high back line and it scares the sh*t out of me against Liverpool. However will it be too confusing for our defence to change this system bearing in mind we have played with a high back line since Poch arrived??? I don't know to be honest both options have their positives and negatives. My thought is that Poch will continue with the high line only time will tell if it is the right decision.
  26. bfgpete Active Member

bfgpete
    Ratings:
    +320 / 7 / -0
    I just hope its a better game than the last one....I mean...fook all happened in the first 10 seconds.... ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,386 / 49 / -0
    I think the point is that Pool play well against a high line pressing team. They seem to struggle when teams sag back.
  28. Hiccup99 Active Member

Hiccup99
    Ratings:
    +86 / 3 / -0
    I get that, but wonder how difficult it will be for us to adapt the sit back approach after playing so long using the high line. I.e you could have those in defence on autopilot trying to push up to make the high line and those that try to adopt the new approach and sit back, and lo and behold we have a whacking great gap for Liverpool to run/pass into. I gotta tell ya guys this match has me on tender hooks think I'll have another speckled hen to calm the nerves
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +457 / 4 / -0

I agree Poch always plays high line. I don't see that changing, although I think against this team its a dangerous thing to do. But I think we have to at least play with 3CB. Then if we play the high line, there aren't huge gaps for Liverpool to play through.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. bfwolf Well-Known Member

bfwolf
    Ratings:
    +2,738 / 70 / -0
    When we played Dortmund at home, whether by design or by the power of their attack, we defended and played counter attacking football highly effectively. We can do it.