[OMT] Liverpool H [PL] Sat 15 Sept 2018 12:30 BST

Discussion in 'Match Day Chat' started by AlabamaSpur, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Dan Northern Spurs Member

Dan Northern Spurs
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    just not good enough. sloppy passing. next to no midfield.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    Probably didn't deserve a draw, but just played back the Son incident at the end and it's 100000% penalty.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...Winks and Dembele not good enough...
    COYS
  4. Dan Northern Spurs Member

Dan Northern Spurs
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    neither was Dier.
  5. Dan Northern Spurs Member

Dan Northern Spurs
    Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0
    in fact, if the full team today played as good as Lucas, it would of been a different story.
  6. lillywhite Active Member

lillywhite
    Ratings:
    +81 / 4 / -0
    Finished 1-2 and that result flattered us. The scousers were so wasteful up front they'd have lost to any other side. Very poor today.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    Agree, can't believe more wasn't made of that. No mention that I hear in the post mach talk. Clearest penalty ever. We didn't deserve a draw but that is what it should have been.
  8. GlennintheUK Member

GlennintheUK
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    That debacle is on Poch. What has he seen in the way Liverpool play to ever suggest that it's a valid tactic to push your fullbacks up the field like that. It must have been his decision 'cos nothing changed at half time. Our midfield players are not fast enough to cover across. For the whole game it's was our cbs against their front line. On top of that, he puts Vorm in. I have to say that, apart from giving two goals away, Vorm had a pretty good game but it's time to make a change. Harry is not match fit, give him a complete rest. Dier is also running on empty after the England games.
  9. ctw01 Well-Known Member

ctw01
    Ratings:
    +3,787 / 49 / -0
    They could of had more, we"ve created zilch .players lacked energy and dont look right , so is MP pushing them too hard after the WC ?
  10. helen7 Well-Known Member

helen7
    Ratings:
    +706 / 83 / -0

Fixed it for you

How many week Lloris need to sober up?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BC87X Well-Known Member

BC87X
    Ratings:
    +1,261 / 36 / -0
    100% Penalty on Son. They don't even want to show the replay for it on NBCS. Son's standing foot got clearly kicked causing him hit his shooting foot resulting in a scuffed shoot. Didn't deserve the draw, but sometimes you need luck in these sort of games and considering how many chances we gifted them today, some luck was certainly due.

We really need to address our CDM position we simply have no one that is comfortable on the ball and good at passing between the lines. We had so many simple passes misplaced or over/under hit in the center from Dier, Dembele, and Winks. Don't want to blame Vorm solely for the goals as he had some great saves, but both goals we conceded he should have done significantly better on and probably even saved them.

Liverpool got lucky and away with something the exact reason why VAR is needed, f**ked up thing is VAR was actually being tested and trialed for our match.

However, good to see Wanyama, Lamela, and Son back playing. This game just came at the wrong time for us, especially after that Watford game and the injuries to Hugo and Dele.

Inter game should be a great game can't wait.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    More than anything Liverpool exposed our lack of speed. Not speed of play but simple movement. On attack they just ran away from us, and their pressing is just lightening quick. Considering how physically overmatched we were we probably did OK. Everyone on the side need freshening up with nothing in sight.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. rhonkt Well-Known Member

rhonkt
    Ratings:
    +1,890 / 37 / -0
    I think we just need to go back to a normal 4-2-3-1 and get some consistency in this team. We go from basically only one midfielder against Watford (Dembele) to three against Liverpool (Dembele, Dier, Winks)...I know we are flexible tactically but this is too much.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. K-Frost Active Member

K-Frost
    Ratings:
    +377 / 14 / -0
    I think today showed we are slightly above average at best. Often we tend to have these games where we are clueless going forward. Today that was the case but the midfield was also weak.

For me Dier is one of our worst players so not sure why it took 80 minutes to substitute him. I just have no idea what he brings to the team other than giving the ball away. Winks may as well have not played I barely saw him. Frustrating performance. Deserved nothing just like the game at Watford.
  15. yidrules Active Member

yidrules
    Ratings:
    +301 / 62 / -0
    ...Poch blaming the World Cup hangover in the post-match interview...
    COYS
  16. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    The idea that we would prevent loss of the ball in midfield, and stop a quick break when we did lose it, didn't pan out at all. Dembele, Dier, Winks all too slow. Pool just ran passed them. They are also too slow to help up front when we win the ball. None of them ever were involved in attack except for one strike by Dier. I think Winks had an OK game, but Dier and Dembele were both below par. It would have been better to include Sanchez in a back three. At least he has some pace.
  17. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    One team strengthened in the summer, one stood still. This was about as big a proof of that fact as you'll see.

Not seen us as naive and abject, since thinking playing a high line against City last season was a good idea. The midfield was appalling, got totally outplayed. Scousers can make you look slow, but today we had nothing. They were quicker, stronger, smarter, had more energy, and should have scored about 8. Yet incredibly, we conceded only twice, because our second choice keeper simply isn't good enough - we didn't even upgrade that.

If we continue to play the likes of Liverpool and City at their own game, with that personnel..........we'll lose.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ehh56 Well-Known Member

ehh56
    Ratings:
    +1,428 / 50 / -0
    I think that's fair TBH. The summer off for everyone and you know we'd look a totally different side.
  19. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0

There might be some truth in that. But it wasn't the reason we got battered today.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. kayat Well-Known Member

kayat
    Ratings:
    +481 / 12 / -0
    I just thought

Kane + Eriksen + Son + Moura + Lamela+ Dele are very promising combination in front attack.
    But Dembele + Winks + Sissoko + Dier + Wanyama are declining central midfield,
    lose too much possession, can't protect the back four well, can play the ball comfortably from behind to front.
    Always saw Eriksen playing deeply and help the midfielders...
  21. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Forgetting the result, 4 years ago Liverpool were several levels below us, I don’t even think they were in Europe? and we were flying.
    3 years ago we were still well ahead of them, 2 years ago we still looked the better squad, last season you could flip a coin to split the difference, this season however they look genuine title contenders....They have genuinely bought well and strengthened where they needed, we on the other hand we are falling backwards, or standing still at best and still searching for solutions to the same problems.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  22. Dave Well-Known Member

Dave
    Ratings:
    +4,312 / 78 / -0
    The World Cup excuse is pathetic. We can't pass, have little pace and did nothing to address any of our tactical failings.

If there's a WC hangover, why was Eriksen playing pointless friendlies and why hasn't Kane been rested?
    Dave,
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    Only Kane and Vorm have any excuse. Vorm was poor, but hardly ever gets a game, which makes it difficult for him and Kane clearly needs a rest. Dier, for example, has no excuse - played very little in the WC and was dreadful today with the sloppiest passing of all our players. His awful header out for the first goal was what put Vorm under pressure. Kane clearly needs a rest.

Poch doesn't come out with much credit, either, by failing to tighten things up at the back in the second half against Liverpool's pacey and dangerous forwards. We were fortunate not to have been on the wrong end of a thrashing.
  24. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    Clearly a penalty - kicked his foot away from him.
  25. teedee Well-Known Member

teedee
    Ratings:
    +1,098 / 22 / -0
    Too many.
  26. VASpur Active Member

VASpur
    Ratings:
    +322 / 13 / -0
    Lets wait until the end of the season with this talk. They are in the same boat as us. Alot of promise but havent won anything. Their depth will tested shortly and thats where they are weak
  27. Why Do We Bother? Well-Known Member

Why Do We Bother?
    Ratings:
    +3,083 / 124 / -0
    Where they end up is a debate for another day, I’m just comparing what I’ve seen so far this season, they look strong and arrogant and have definitely a shot at the title, we look tired and weak, and certainly have no arrogance, top 4 is looking like a very tough fight for us..
  28. Just a Spurs fan Well-Known Member

Just a Spurs fan
    Ratings:
    +475 / 4 / -0
    One plus point - Lamelas finish was superb, and he looked busy. He may be hugely important this season, if he can stay fit.
  29. pistols_at_dawn Well-Known Member

pistols_at_dawn
    Ratings:
    +875 / 22 / -0
    Wow, Dier was bad today. Sheesh.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Binda Well-Known Member

Binda
    Ratings:
    +497 / 7 / -0
    I don't want to knock down anyone because I unfortunately couldn't watch the game today (maybe fortunately by the accounts on here). However, I feel like when we play the big teams we should adopt Pep's model of overloading the midfield with attacking players; and I mean on a suicidal level.

I wouldn't mind seeing five out of Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Lucas, Lamela, and Son all on the field with one holding midfielder, or just have all six in f**k it. Personally for me it's better than relying on our midfielders to beat out the most dangerous pressing unit in the world of football (imo).

Thinking back to our past games against Liverpool, they would push up so deep into our half that'd we would be forced to punt it up field. So if that's the way it's going to be then use those attacking players. All you need is one good ball over the top with someone either taking it down or flicking it on and you're now in a dangerous position with a multitude of quality players running in on goal. But I'm not a certified coach or anything so what do I know right lol.

PS - WHAT IS HAPPENING ON SPOT KICKS THAT WE CONCEDE GOALS THE WAY WE DO.
    • Like Like x 1